otc cough medicine for 10 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-16-2009, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
my 10 month old dd has a violent cough at night. I know it is just a cold, so I am not worried about it, but I would like to give her some relief at night. Any suggestions for Over the Counter medicine or homeopathic/natural remedies?

Thank you

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When my DS has a bad cough, we use a humidifier with a couple drops of eucalyptus and/or lavender essential oils, rub his feet with homemade "vapor rub" (sweet almond oil, lavender and eucalyptus EOs) and try to prop him up a bit so he doesn't sleep completely flat. This usually brings significant relief for him (and us!). I try to focus on things to help him relax (the lavender oil, massaging, etc.) and decongesting (eucalyptus, humidifier). Now that he's older, I've started giving him an herbal cough syrup made by Gaia's Children called Cough Syrup for Dry Coughs, but it has honey in it so your LO is still a bit young for it. It doesn't give him immediate relief, but it helps him get rid of his coughs quicker. I hope your LO finds relief quickly!

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

Old 04-16-2009, 02:15 PM

We use, and love, Traditional Medicinals teas. They have a few kid formulas but we just use the regular tea (usually Cold Relief, Throat Coat or Breathe Easy, depending on where we feel the worst), watered down (16oz water instead of 8oz per tea bag, usually the extra gets tossed). She's too young for me to recommend to you adding honey (feels so good on the throat), but we added honey by 9-10 months old.

I also use Vicks, the one that comes in a greaseless cream form and put a dryer heated towel on their chest after it's applied.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
Old 04-16-2009, 02:18 PM

I really like the Boiron Children's Chestal, but I can't remember how old they have to be... Maybe you can adjust the doses? It's basically honey.

User Tag List