Forum Jump: 

#61 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamsmom98 View Post
http://www.cnn.com/

"The U.S. declared a public health emergency as the number of identified cases of swine flu in the nation rose to 20."

A public health emergency for 20 cases NATIONWIDE?????????

How, on earth can 20 cases out of the US population be deemed a public health emergency?

Like I said, scare mongering (and, apparently, no other news of interest to report...).
i know right? the cases in the US and Canada were mild. no one died and only like one person was hospitalized. fear mongering as a scam to get ratings indeed!
#62 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafwood View Post
Actually, I was really sick 2 weeks ago (Easter weekend). I had a chest cold with a fever that got pretty high for me (102-103). I went right into the dr who said he had been seeing a lot of "stubborn" respiratory issues. He prescribed me a z-pac and had me start on asmanex (inhaled powdered steroid) b/c the previous 2 times I've had a chest cold it's progressed to wheezing and gotten pretty bad. I was quite sick for a good 4-5 days. The following weekend Dd ran a very high fever for 24 hours and then was fine. This week the same happened with ds. FWIW, a child I worked with the previous week was sick and had recently returned from a spring break family vaca in Mexico/FL.

When this swine situation came about dh joked that he hoped I had it, and that the kids had mild cases and now we can all carry on. That, in some strange way, was comforting to me. We can all bunker down and hide away....but there is a chance that each and every one of us is currently harboring immunity.
I was really sick starting around Easter weekend, with terrible flu-like symptoms. I'm glad there was nothing about this swine flu then, though I like your DH's idea. My "flu" ended up being bacterial (not sure if it started that way or I developed secondary infections), and after 10+ days, I only started feeling better after starting abx. It's strange to have something so virulent "out there" and yet be something with symptoms so common that in general we'd barely pay attention to them.

I've been seriously considering a trip from the Houston area to Monterrey, MX, for a birth conference next weekend, and while there are various factors going against my trip, the swine flu outbreak seems to be the final nail in the coffin. I was hoping to go with my MW, but I doubt she'd be willing to risk exposure when she's got births to attend.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#63 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 06:46 AM

Well, if it makes people feel better to say that it's fear mongering and a media ploy for ratings, then more power to you.

However this has me worried because it is a brand new, never-seen-before strain of flu that is killing HEALTHY people in the prime of their lives. The regular flu tends to kill the already-ill, the young, and the elderly. Because it is new, it is completely unpredictable, and it can mutate and affect different people a different way. At this point, they also don't know how infectious it is - it could be as infectious as the flu pandemic of 1918. Statistically, we are also overdue for a pandemic. All of these factors combine to make me worried, but certainly not to panic, as I've already had a general emergency plan in place.

I suppose the other factor that has me worried is that my dd attends a private language immersion school (Spanish-French-Mandarin) and she has dozens of teachers that went back to Mexico over spring break to visit family. Plus we have possible cases in my area (samples are at the CDC right now, as they do not match any strains our state has ever seen, but no confirmation yet). Plus dd is sick right now (just a cold, but still, she has a compromised immune system right now).

I think that everyone should be at least putting together a plan of what you would do if the WHO raised the level to a 4 or 5 and/or if your area is shut down like the areas in Texas and California (where I've read that even the local parks are closed). If the local governments, even as a precaution, tell people to stay home, how long can you stay at home without having to go out? If you do go out, how can you protect yourself? These are questions people at least need to ask themselves. Not just for the swine flu, but for any emergency situation. Just my two cents.
#64 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 09:10 AM

The people that died in Mexico, are they dying of secondary infections like regular flu?
#65 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 09:10 AM

Velochic, I totally agree. I went out yesterday and bought groceries and diapers, not stockpiles of them, but the stuff we were a little low on-oatmeal, rice, fruit, etc. I'm making a little list for myself of rainy day games to play with the kids indoors. We could stay in for the week pretty comfortably (other than the fact that it's gorgeous outside!)

I'm going to keep DD home from school today, and we're not going to the playground, library, or grocery store. There needs to be more info before I'm comfortable going about our regular routine.

DH on the other hand doesn't think its a big deal and is still going to work. At least he walks to work and works in a very small office! He took the kids to the playground and shopping yesterday, which I'm not thrilled about though.

I am kind of glad that this seems to have a short incubation-they're saying 24-48 hours-so I think we'll know more and more every day. We're in NYC, so no mass school closings or park closings or anything.

DS's cough is worse and phlemgier today, but he doesn't have a fever, and he's had this cough for like a week and a half now. I suppose it's far more likely to be a regular cold turned into something bacterial than to be swine flu atop a cold even if a fever does start up. He's also totally happy and eating like mad.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#66 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 09:13 AM

I recently read a novel about the Spanish flu...I cannot for the life of me find it, either on my shelf or on amazon.com, but it talked about how they were just beginning to learn that microorganisms caused diseases. Prior to that time (early 1900s) it was believed that bad blood caused disease, which is why they did bloodletting.

Since we know this now, and because we have things like indoor plumbing, bottled water (don't have to walk to a well to get water), (many of us have) air conditioning (can keep windows closed), even a really bad outbreak would not be as bad as 1918.
#67 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Well, if it makes people feel better to say that it's fear mongering and a media ploy for ratings, then more power to you.

However this has me worried because it is a brand new, never-seen-before strain of flu that is killing HEALTHY people in the prime of their lives.
Not so the world has seen swine flu outbreaks before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swine_flu

Quote:
1976 U.S. outbreak
On February 5, 1976, an army recruit at Fort Dix said he felt tired and weak. He died the next day and four of his fellow soldiers were later hospitalized. Two weeks after his death, health officials announced that swine flu was the cause of death and that this strain of flu appeared to be closely related to the strain involved in the 1918 flu pandemic. Alarmed public-health officials decided that action must be taken to head off another major pandemic, and they urged President Gerald Ford that every person in the U.S. be vaccinated for the disease. The vaccination program was plagued by delays and public relations problems, but about 24% of the population had been vaccinated by the time the program was canceled.

About 500 cases of Guillain-Barré syndrome, resulting in death from severe pulmonary complications for 25 people, were probably caused by an immunopathological reaction to the 1976 vaccine. Other influenza vaccines have not been linked to Guillain-Barré syndrome, though caution is advised for certain individuals, particularly those with a history of GBS.

The following rant is not directed at you Velochic.

Modern News Media is terrible they are constantly putting words into headlines that cause people to worry. Have you ever noticed we never have just a thunderstorm anymore? They are always Severe Thunderstorms. In the winter every snowstorm warrents the Storm Center Team on high alert. It's Crisis this and Danger that ALL. THE. TIME! "Something in your home right now could be killing you! We will tell you about it after the commercial break."

Does anyone remember the story called the Boy who Cried Wolf? We are all sick to death of every news article and show calling wolf and guess what? Some of us don't believe them at all anymore! That's what happens.

Is this thing real? Only time will tell but like I said in my PP 4000 Canadians die each and every year from flu's.
#68 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post

Modern News Media is terrible they are constantly putting words into headlines that cause people to worry. Have you ever noticed we never have just a thunderstorm anymore? They are always Severe Thunderstorms. In the winter every snowstorm warrents the Storm Center Team on high alert. It's Crisis this and Danger that ALL. THE. TIME! "Something in your home right now could be killing you! We will tell you about it after the commercial break."

Does anyone remember the story called the Boy who Cried Wolf? We are all sick to death of every news article and show calling wolf and guess what? Some of us don't believe them at all anymore! That's what happens.

Is this thing real? Only time will tell but like I said in my PP 4000 Canadians die each and every year from flu's.

PA I was just watching Donald Lowe on CBC and he says that the signs are there that this could be the pandemic that they have been planning for. I trust him and I don't think this is something to be taken lightly.

My understanding is that while this is swine flu there are strains of other flus at work as well - human and bird - which means that this could be something more difficult for the human immune system to fight.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#69 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
PA I was just watching Donald Lowe on CBC and he says that the signs are there that this could be the pandemic that they have been planning for. I trust him and I don't think this is something to be taken lightly.

My understanding is that while this is swine flu there are strains of other flus at work as well - human and bird - which means that this could be something more difficult for the human immune system to fight.
CBC also told us last night to vaccinate ourselves with the flu vaccine even though it is ineffective against the swine flu and any flu's that have been going around this year!
#70 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I just realized that I wrote "severed head ache" up there. . I don't think I would be worried about the swine flu if I had a severed head
For some reason, I can't stop laughing at this quote. Thanks for interjecting some much needed humor into my day!
#71 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 11:18 AM

I don't watch a lot of tv so last night was the first i heard about the swine flu on the news, and I was interested that the news reported all of the statistics about deaths in mexico, and where they've found the flu in the US and Canada, and it showed so much footage of people wearing masks in public venues, and then it just said "for more information on the swine flu, such as symptoms to look for or ways to prevent transmission, please visit our website.." Really? I would think that if this really was a flu of pandemic proportions, wouldn't they *focus* on information about how to tell if you had it and what to do about it? They did say a few times that while there wasn't a vaccine yet, scientists are working one now, and I'm certain that after hearing those statistics and seeing that footage, as soon as one is released people will be lining up for it! I'd also be interested to know what has caused so many deaths in mexico, but not as many (comparatively) in the rest of the world.
#72 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
CBC also told us last night to vaccinate ourselves with the flu vaccine even though it is ineffective against the swine flu and any flu's that have been going around this year!
It's Donald Lowe I trust just to clarify.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#73 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 11:59 AM

I have to admit that living in the Phoenix area, this has me concerned. There is such a flow of people to and from Mexico in my area and it does scare me. I admit that if there is a local outbreak, my kids will be staying home from school and other activities.

My husband is also a pilot and it terrifies that me he'll bring something home with him
#74 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Yes, but this is a new strain. That's what I stated. They started seeing it in March 2009.
#75 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Dh & I agreed that for the next few days at least, we'll keep the kids home & watch for news updates. This thing does seem to be traveling extremely fast & I fear we'll see many more "confirmed" case in the coming days. So, we'll just lay low until we decide whether we've reached "freak out" stage or not.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#76 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 12:56 PM

subbing for updates....
#77 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 01:04 PM

I honestly don't know what to think...
Still feel like I'm in the "gathering information" stage of things.
I keep seeing these articles suggesting swine flu was created in a laboratory - and all these conspiratorial slants on this.
The fear-mongering can get out of hand - but at the same time I don't feel comfortable sticking my head in the sand either.

It doesn't hurt to prepare by stocking up on antiviral herbs, basic supplies, and doing what we can to stay healthy.

Thanks to everyone who's participating here - I think it helps just to have a place like this to vent and to get different perspectives.

fp
#78 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 01:09 PM

I always have a tonic called "fire cider" on hand. It is a concoction made with apple cider vinegar, horseradish, onion, peppers, garlic, and herbs. Most germs hang out in the back of the throat and this stuff works! I would take it everyday if I was worried about getting flu.
#79 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 01:19 PM

dh says the border agents don't even seem to be asking if people have been feeling sick, which the news says they've been asked to do - they didn't ask him, at least.

My biggest concern right now is that dh works at a pharmacy - so if people really start getting sick, he's likely to be exposed. The other concern is, for my own little family, the ramifications of a border closure - since we live in Mexico but dh works in the US. If he's on the US side and they start shutting things down, he can stay at my mom's place for the duration, but if he's down here, he's screwed and unable to get to work.
#80 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 01:47 PM

What are some good anti-viral herbs and other favorite health aides? Also, what are some of your essential first aid/emergc items besides the basics?
#81 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 01:49 PM

Does anyone know when this current strain started popping up? We were all quite sick just before Easter-time (beginning of the month IIRC; I'd have to have dh look at his absent days to confirm). My middle son was fine, but the rest of us had the fever, horrible sore throat, congestion, cough, headache, in bed for a while - especially dh and I (we were the hardest hit). What is the likelihood of having actually had this strain of influenza? Dh teaches and is in contact with tons of people all day, many of who are students with families out-of-country. If the strain was popping up by the beginning of April, I could see us having been exposed to it (we are in CA).

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#82 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 01:53 PM

I'm still on the fence. It does seem to be the typical fear mongering to me especially conveniently placed within a failing economy. Still it doesn't hurt to be prepared but really we should strive for that always

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#83 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
What are some good anti-viral herbs and other favorite health aides? Also, what are some of your essential first aid/emergc items besides the basics?
I feel like I am just gathering info here, as well. I got Jay Gordon's email saying not to buy into the panic that the msm is portraying. At the same time, I am a bit worried, I think this is only the start.

As far as herbs and such, I have garlic capsules, echinacea/ goldenseal tincture and Elderberry syrup on hand. Also emergen-C, medicinal teas (Gypsy Cold Care from Yogi and a kids cold care from Traditional Medicinals). Also zinc lozenges for adults and kids.

We also take a probiotic and multi-vitamins (not religiously).

This is all stuff I keep on hand, nothing that I have bought specifically for this situation.

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#84 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Here's a thread going on this:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1076488
#85 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 02:16 PM

little wonders~
we had that same thing too and also in ca. i am wondering if this strain that we had might have been "the virus " circulating for a while and now it's just out there in a bigger way. if so , it would probably be a good thing we caught it, as we would have developed some antibodies toward it if it gets worse. someone posted a similar theory from a ny times article a few pages back. intresting.
#86 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 02:18 PM

I am in NE Ohio and also got really sick before Easter....hummm
#87 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 02:25 PM

I'm going to sub to this thread. And, yes, I am very concerned. I read some articles about the previous outbreaks (that 1918 and the one in the 70s). Of course, us as parents are smack dab in the middle of the highest rate of mortality. Those with the best immune systems have the most severe cases (cytokine storms aparrently). It does feel like in was really an inevitability that we would eventually deal with something like this. The previous infection rates were 50% with a 5-20% fatality rate. So, I'm definitely hoping that this is not going to spread far.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#88 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 02:49 PM

I'm really hoping that we already had this. All 4 of us were very sick a few weeks ago. It was upper respiritory and much stronger than just a cold.
#89 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 03:02 PM

I can't start a poll right now with DS getting into everything, but it would be nice to do a poll and see who/how many have been sicker than usual this year. We almost never have colds with fever, but we've all had it this year too. Late March for us in NYC. Everyone around us had it too. Then we had Norwalk about 2 weeks earlier-Ugh!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#90 of 481 Old 04-27-2009, 03:04 PM

It looks like here in Tijuana, they are closing schools. I just saw a bunch of high schoolers walking home - and it's only 11AM.

ETA: looks like it was ordered at a national level. I'm trying to find out if there are any local cases.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page