Mothering Forum banner

Swine flu

31K views 480 replies 181 participants last post by  mama1803 
#1 ·
the recent outbreaks are FREAKING me out. Please either help this OCD mama calm down or better prepare.

#3 ·
Me too... I just came on here to look for threads, actually. No advice, I'm worried too. When the news uses the words "possible pandemic" I worry...

#5 ·
Well... it seems like every year there is an alarm over a particular strain of flu. Remember when the avian flu was going to wipe out humanity?

I have a daughter with severe asthma... a bad enough cold could land her in the ICU... but I am not too worried about this news... I sometimes think these stories are an effort to push vaxing.

#6 ·
My husband & I were just researching this & freaking out today. Have you guys looked info up on Wikipedia? The Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918?? I had no idea!! Although, looking that up is NOT going to help calm anyone down....

I'm just going to be as anal retentive about hand washing around here as possible, and take my kids out in the world as little as possible. Just after reading all about it today, we decided I'd better leave the kids home with dad when I did our our grocery shopping.

I'll be watching the news in the coming days/weeks.....

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Well... it seems like every year there is an alarm over a particular strain of flu. Remember when the avian flu was going to wipe out humanity?

I have a daughter with severe asthma... a bad enough cold could land her in the ICU... but I am not too worried about this news... I sometimes think these stories are an effort to push vaxing.
They do however, say that in this particular case the vaccine doesn't really work. And I do agree that people are always freaking out about something! It was just after reading about past outbreaks of this virus that freaked me out. It's amazing how fast it travels, and how many it killed in the past. Yucky. But, we shall see.....

#10 ·
I've never heard of Twilight. Woohoo, does that mean I'm not a nerd!?? lol

#12 ·
Once upon a time, before I had kids, I always thought of epidemics and natural disasters as natural and necessary population control and wasn't too concerned. I even welcomed the idea of it (too many people consuming too many of the earth's resources - something's got to give).

Now that I actually have kids I'm kind of nervous. I also hate the fact that these things keep coming more and more. (I've been in this region for 28 years and never experienced severe flooding and our neighborhood has flooded 2 years in a row).

#13 ·
I hear that...
Seems like things are piling and going so far off balance in so many areas that it IS feeling a bit scary. and yes, it all mounts heavier with the thought of our children, what they will endure , and just trying to give them the wise stregnth they will need is a task in itself....
aaah, why this now? im so tired of illness~
worrying here in Socal too, AND sending out positive vibrations<3

#14 ·
I've read that the reason they are so worried about it is that none of the fatalities so far are young children or the elderly. Hence the whole '1918' comparison. Honestly, other than taking my usual precautions of frequent hand sanitizing (with the alcohol based purell), and eating really well to keep my immune system up, I don't think there's much I can do. From the sounds of it, it will take a lot longer than a week for things to calm down, especially since it's already spread pretty far north.

Ami

#15 ·
The 1917 flu spread so wildly because the "Spanish" flu actually came from American Troops in Fort Riley Kansas who were exposed to the flu via horse Manure, then shipped to Europe to fight WWI. When troops returned home, it was assumed they caught the flu in Spain instead of actually transporting it to the old world. Please also remember that medical practices have changed dramatically in the last 90 years. We now have anti-virals, understand the dangers of dehydration and are far more likely to visit a Dr. than in 1918. ALso a huge reason the Spanish flu was so deadly is that it spread like wildfire through the trenches on the battlefields. SO even though it currently appears that we are facing the 1918 Spanish flu again, realistically, we are not. The best thing to do right now is just stay calm and use your common sense. Wash hands frequently, stay home if you are sick, stay hydrated and use some rescue remedy if you can't chill out.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by meowee View Post

Yup scare tactics always get LARGE crowds of people to vax ! Whatever you do do not get the vaccine!

Here is a great article about beating the Flu:

http://www.naturalnews.com/023087.html

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
OT, but duh, that's what Edward was dying of in Twilight.
Wow I'm a nerd.

My grandpa almost died of the flu in 1918 (when he was 17). He had an "out of body experience" and all of his hair fell out.

So then I go "ick"--- Edward would be as old as Grandpa!!!

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gossamer View Post
The 1917 flu spread so wildly because the "Spanish" flu actually came from American Troops in Fort Riley Kansas who were exposed to the flu via horse Manure, then shipped to Europe to fight WWI. When troops returned home, it was assumed they caught the flu in Spain instead of actually transporting it to the old world. Please also remember that medical practices have changed dramatically in the last 90 years. We now have anti-virals, understand the dangers of dehydration and are far more likely to visit a Dr. than in 1918. ALso a huge reason the Spanish flu was so deadly is that it spread like wildfire through the trenches on the battlefields. SO even though it currently appears that we are facing the 1918 Spanish flu again, realistically, we are not. The best thing to do right now is just stay calm and use your common sense. Wash hands frequently, stay home if you are sick, stay hydrated and use some rescue remedy if you can't chill out.

playing devil's advocate:

Most of the world still lives in 1918 conditions, for all intents and purposes. Access to decent medical care (and clean water, good nutrition, etc.) is a first-world luxury.

Anti-virals? Sure, for some. Mexico City, for example, has 1 million doses of Tamiflu. (For approx. 20 million people).

We're actually a much more mobile society now than in 1918. We do have wars going on (although not a World War) and AIRPLANE TRAVEL makes people (and diseases) incredibly mobile. World population is much greater now, also. (There are more people to play "host" to the disease.)

The flu is mostly airborne. Washing hands won't help with that aspect.

Air pollution is worse now than in 1918, obviously. That taxes people's lungs to begin with. (Mexico City has the worst air pollution in the world.)

#20 ·
i also saw a video about the swine flu vaccine that was given in i think the 70s and how it killed more people than the flu itself did. seeing how everyone seems to be recovering i would be a bit leary of getting some new vaccine that could have who knows what wrong with it. but i am also a bit concerned that alot of migrant works come up in the summer from mexico and i have young dcs....

#21 ·
Quote:
Once upon a time, before I had kids, I always thought of epidemics and natural disasters as natural and necessary population control and wasn't too concerned. I even welcomed the idea of it (too many people consuming too many of the earth's resources - something's got to give).

Now that I actually have kids I'm kind of nervous. I also hate the fact that these things keep coming more and more. (I've been in this region for 28 years and never experienced severe flooding and our neighborhood has flooded 2 years in a row).
Population control well I can see the beauty of how you think of it,but I view this a little diffrent,this day in age
I wouldnt be suprised if this flu is man made and getting us ready for the new world order.There is a whole bunch millions to be exact plastic coffns to put people in georgia.And fema camps.

I truly hope its just a conspricy thought but look em up on u tube they are there.....

Dont flame me just giving my views,personally it scares the crap right out of me

#22 ·
Geez, another slow news week. They have to use these few deaths, worldwide to generate fears?? (Or, to distract the public from other things going on in the world...)

Pandemic? Oh, please......

Geez, remember all those dire warnings about the possibility of an avian flu epidemic after the relatively few cases of same were reported in Asia not too long ago? Remember all those dire warnings about the possibility of an anthrax epidemic after the white-powder-in-envelopes terrorism not too long ago? Remember all those warnings about the possibility of a measles epidemic after the few cases of same were reported in the mid-west not too long ago? Pardon the pun, but those whole scenarios died out, didn't they (but, gosh, they made for great news, for awhile).

I am sorry for those families that have been hit by this illness, I am. But, I'm not worried one bit about this flu or any other flu (in this country or any other). We don't get flu shots. We will not get flu shots, even in the face of an actual epidemic or pandemic (uh-oh, there's that word again). Those that would desire the vaccination will be happy to know there are 5 spare doses of vaccine available, courtesy of my family!

I have more concerns about things like the common Norwalk virus that hits elder care residences (nursing and assisted living homes), causing massive vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration.

Sexually-transmitted diseases are far more common than this (or, other types of) flu. Check out the CDC monthly reported cases of these.

People die from conditions related to obesity, diabetes and heart disease. But, these are so common that they aren't news-worthy anymore.

Same goes with the dangers of cigarettes and their danger to everyone. Why not demand the cessation of their production? Oh, yeah, that would violate people's right to personal pleasure (nevermind what it does to those around them) plus the tobacco lobby wouldn't permit it.

Yet, where is are the DAILY public health warnings about those on the networks newscasts?? Not exactly the stuff CNN leads their broadcasts with, hmmm? Afterall, who wants to hear about old people with vomiting and diarrhea. Or, the mantra about cigarette smoking being bad for you (obviously, nobody reads the small print on a pack before lighting up...)

The reports on the news are all about scare mongering. Keep the public frightened and they will do as they are told.

Looks like it's working.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommabear207 View Post
i also saw a video about the swine flu vaccine that was given in i think the 70s and how it killed more people than the flu itself did. seeing how everyone seems to be recovering i would be a bit leary of getting some new vaccine that could have who knows what wrong with it. but i am also a bit concerned that alot of migrant works come up in the summer from mexico and i have young dcs....
Here is some info from Wikipedia about the 1976 outbreak:

1976 U.S. outbreak

On February 5, 1976, an army recruit at Fort Dix said he felt tired and weak. He died the next day and four of his fellow soldiers were later hospitalized. Two weeks after his death, health officials announced that swine flu was the cause of death and that this strain of flu appeared to be closely related to the strain involved in the 1918 flu pandemic. Alarmed public-health officials decided that action must be taken to head off another major pandemic, and they urged President Gerald Ford that every person in the U.S. be vaccinated for the disease. The vaccination program was plagued by delays and public relations problems, but about 24% of the population had been vaccinated by the time the program was canceled.[16]

About 500 cases of Guillain-Barré syndrome, resulting in death from severe pulmonary complications for 25 people, were probably caused by an immunopathological reaction to the vaccine.[16] Other influenza vaccines have not been linked to Guillain-Barré syndrome.[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swine_i..._U.S._outbreak

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Information View Post

Now that I actually have kids I'm kind of nervous.
Yep. Becoming a parent changes everything!!

#26 ·
I do think this is a bigger life risk for those in other countries (hence the recovery of all in the US so far). Sad that those already struggling have yet more against them.

The nature of this to strike the age it does--and hence parents--bothers me. But I don't lose sleep over this. My husband or myself are much more likely to die in a car accident than the swine flu. We take vitamin D and I hope that would help resistance in this just like the regular flu. I mention that for anyone looking for something to do to possibly help. But I think it's important to put this in perspective. The risk for each individual just isn't that great. You can't control all life risk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.