My story, my cure... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 236 Old 05-11-2009, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristSavesAll View Post
So glad to hear good news for you already!!! :That's wonderful!

Now about the headache, Magnesium my dear, try a dose of 500mg just to get you started that will clear it up and don't worry they don't last long, it happens anytime you up your dose in a significant amount.
They happen because you're mobilizing toxins and not excreting them properly. Magnesium does support one of the detox pathways but not all of them and not the one which is responsible for excreting heavy metals. I can't speak as to whether it supports the pathway responsible for halides, but I know it's no help for heavy metal detox.
For detoxing heavy metals, you need glutathione, B2, zinc, selenium and EFAs.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 236 Old 05-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
There was another page that I can't find now that recommended a later modification to the salt flush using 1/2 tsp of salt at a time (vs 1/4 tsp in this doc), but I haven't tried this (no symptoms from iodine supplementation) so I can't verify that it works.
The collection of pages at Breast Cancer Choices on bromide toxicity
http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/b...trategies.html (click on salt loading link)

I can say it works. I had a really hard time starting with Lugol's solution (which is Iodoral in liquid form). I had *extreme* fatigue, like I couldn't keep my eyes open and limbs felt wooden.
#63 of 236 Old 05-11-2009, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
The collection of pages at Breast Cancer Choices on bromide toxicity
http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/b...trategies.html (click on salt loading link)
See? This is why I shamelessly steal your links!
#64 of 236 Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
And clay (?).

Pat

Do you mean diatomaceous earth? Which is silica.
#65 of 236 Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
See? This is why I shamelessly steal your links!
Nah, we just help each other remember them!
#66 of 236 Old 05-11-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Do you mean diatomaceous earth? Which is silica.
I think she meant something like pascalite.

Quote:
Nah, we just help each other remember them!
#67 of 236 Old 05-11-2009, 09:44 PM

I really like reading these sorts of stories and am glad you found something that really works for you.

As for me, I try hard NOT to take supplements. They scare me to no end. Instead, I prefer to get my nutrients from whole foods and have actually cured my PCOS, acne, obesity, blood sugar swings, joint problems, back pain, energy issues, sleep problems, etc. through diet and diet alone.
#68 of 236 Old 05-11-2009, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
I really like reading these sorts of stories and am glad you found something that really works for you.

As for me, I try hard NOT to take supplements. They scare me to no end. Instead, I prefer to get my nutrients from whole foods and have actually cured my PCOS, acne, obesity, blood sugar swings, joint problems, back pain, energy issues, sleep problems, etc. through diet and diet alone.
Koodos to you Momma! That's awesome! I hope that one day when we've got our own house that I'll be able to "live off the land" and actually have healthy fruits and veggies for my kids, along with meat my hubby and son hunted.... Ahhh how I long for those days... until then we supplement, cause at the moment its the only thing we can do...

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#69 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 10:41 AM

How familiar are the following signs and symptoms?
Exhaustion or fatigue, depression, sensitive to cold or cold hands & feet, weight gain, muscle & joint pains, carpal tunnel, painful soles of the feet, swollen or puffy face, eyes, arms or legs, menstrual abnormalities, constipation, breast tenderness, fuzzy head, infertility, voice changes, increased response to allergies (itching, prickly hot skin, rashes, uticaria), regular infections such as sinus or thrush, dry hair, skin & nails, hair loss, thin eyebrows, high cholesterol, or haven’t been well since an infection/virus.

How familiar are these symptoms?
Weight loss without trying, insomnia, irritability, panic attacks, poor concentration, palpitations, rapid pulse, high blood pressure, increased sweating, tremors, diarrhea, tiredness, thickening of the skin, anxiety, infertility, amenorrhea or light menses, muscle pain & weakness (upper arms and thighs particularly), eye problems, bulging eyes, mood swings, fine and brittle hair.

---------------

When I was 20 the drs declared me clinically depressed and put me on all kinds of psyc. drugs... When I was 25 I miss carried and my primary care dr discovered my thyroid (which my other Dr had be aware of)- was off the charts...

I am trying to catch up on all this reading- currently I take a high dose of Levothyroxine... which I hate taking and had weaned myseld off of, but went back on when I got pregnant with DD. I notice a huge difference when I am off it in many areas of my life- but would love to manage this in a more natural way.

The supplementing sounds good - but how is that better than this pill? I skimmed over most of the thread- its hard to find time to really sit and focus- but I am doing it bit by bit.

We have been introducing "organic" Dulse into out diets... probably not the best source of iodine but DD is anemic so we use if for the iron. (since we hope to get her off the iron supplement soon... we have lead in our house so we are keeping her on it to prevent lead absorbtion at this point)

This is a GREAT thread though- thank you!

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

#70 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Amlikam,

Dulse is actually a great way to get iodine in your diet, it has a higher iodine content than kelp, so eat it up :. You will be able to taper down your levothyroxine while upping your iodine with little to no side effects.

Here is a table with the info in the iodine content...

So the kids should get almost about 1/3 ounce to get them their daily amount of iodine, while you should get about 1&1/2 ounces daily, this is just for the daily recommended dose and you'd have to eat twice that or more to get the high iodine diet to help you detox faster... you could always do both till you reach sufficiency then just rely on the dulse for maintenance dose.

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#71 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlikam View Post
When I was 20 the drs declared me clinically depressed and put me on all kinds of psyc. drugs... When I was 25 I miss carried and my primary care dr discovered my thyroid (which my other Dr had be aware of)- was off the charts...

Although miscarriages do happen, I'd consider whether you've had/have thyroid antibodies, they are sometimes related to pregnancy loss as well. Selenium's very involved in autoimmune issues, and there's at least one study that supplementing 200mcg (which isnt' a high dose IMO) of selenium reduces antibody levels significantly.

I am trying to catch up on all this reading- currently I take a high dose of Levothyroxine... which I hate taking and had weaned myseld off of, but went back on when I got pregnant with DD. I notice a huge difference when I am off it in many areas of my life- but would love to manage this in a more natural way.

The supplementing sounds good - but how is that better than this pill? I skimmed over most of the thread- its hard to find time to really sit and focus- but I am doing it bit by bit.

I pop lots of pills right now, and I'm okay with it because IME by the time we have health concerns that are significantly affecting our day-to-day lives, that's a long-term, significant accumulation of nutritional deficiencies. I don't feel, for myself, that I can make up all the years of imbalance in my body with just eating nutritious foods now. Long-term my goal is to use many fewer supplements, but I'm okay with lots of pills for now.

Also, re: iodine supplementation instead of levothyroxine, iodine's used for a lot of things in the body, and although the thyroid gets a lot of it, the lack we're experiencing has systemic effects. People with fibrocystic breasts are often iodine deficient (more than other people, I mean), it's one of many minerals that we are often low on, and the effects are systemic and probably not all catalogued yet.

We have been introducing "organic" Dulse into out diets... probably not the best source of iodine but DD is anemic so we use if for the iron. (since we hope to get her off the iron supplement soon... we have lead in our house so we are keeping her on it to prevent lead absorbtion at this point)

This is a GREAT thread though- thank you!
Another good place to read about nutrients and thyroid function is ithyroid.com. Here's a good starting page at that site...
http://ithyroid.com/latest_ideas.htm

IME there are more nutrients involved than just iodine, but I think everyone has a slightly different balance as to what's most deficient in them, and what approach is best for healing their own bodies.
#72 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 11:50 AM

If I think I am iodine deficient and my nearly 11 month old dd (who I still nurse once or twice at night) - what should I take? I went to Whole Foods to find some iodine and all they had was the kelp version.

I want to give us enough that our bodies can get some but not enough that we go through a huge detox because I am still nursing a little. Is is possible to just take a small amount and over time your body will cure itself and detox a little at a time? I am afraid to put us both in full blown detox but my daughter is acting out in strange ways lately and I feel it is because it is some essential nutrient she is lacking.

Thanks so much!!
#73 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayo22 View Post
If I think I am iodine deficient and my nearly 11 month old dd (who I still nurse once or twice at night) - what should I take? I went to Whole Foods to find some iodine and all they had was the kelp version.

I want to give us enough that our bodies can get some but not enough that we go through a huge detox because I am still nursing a little. Is is possible to just take a small amount and over time your body will cure itself and detox a little at a time? I am afraid to put us both in full blown detox but my daughter is acting out in strange ways lately and I feel it is because it is some essential nutrient she is lacking.

Thanks so much!!
At the whole foods you'd have to ask about liquid iodine... then you will find liquid potassium iodide, liquid-dulse, and probably liquid kelp as well.. I prefer the dulse if you can get it...
What else are you currently taking vitamin-wise? Inositol would probably also be a good idea as well as the other supplements I listed... at the very least, multi, cod liver oil, siberian ginseng (adrenal support), iodine and magnesium(to help with the headaches, plus lots of people are deficient in this and don't know it).

I've read, and can find the link and add it later, that when taking 12.5mg of iodine you don't excrete very much.. I will try to find that link to provide it for you..

#74 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 12:37 PM

I am not currently taking any vitamins. I use to take cal/mag supplement and cod liver oil but for the past 5 or 6 months I've just given up on supplements? I feel like I don't know what I am doing but figure I am just wasting a ton of money and getting no help from them. However, reading your post charged me up again and made sense. So, I am wanting to give supplementation a try again. I hope that doesn't sound negative but it is hard for my foggy-brained self to figure all this out and NOT get scared that I am doing more harm than good??!!
#75 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I hope that doesn't sound negative but it is hard for my foggy-brained self to figure all this out and NOT get scared that I am doing more harm than good??!!
Totally get that, I thought that vitamins were a waste of time and money before because I've taken them before and it never made a difference... The brand is VERY important, the one I take contains no allergens which was important for us because we needed one without soy. But I felt a difference overall within a week, it's been a while now so I forget when exactly but definitely felt some change within the first week, things just got progressively better.

BTW the foggy brain clears up a bit within the first few days, ahhh it was nice to be able to think clearly again!

Is your area fluoridated?

#76 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I am not currently taking any vitamins. I use to take cal/mag supplement and cod liver oil but for the past 5 or 6 months I've just given up on supplements? I feel like I don't know what I am doing but figure I am just wasting a ton of money and getting no help from them. However, reading your post charged me up again and made sense. So, I am wanting to give supplementation a try again. I hope that doesn't sound negative but it is hard for my foggy-brained self to figure all this out and NOT get scared that I am doing more harm than good??!!

This is far from a crazy perspective. There is some good evidence that self-medicating with supplements can do more harm than good, and that's even if the supplements contain the pure, fresh ingredients they're supposed to and ONLY the ingredients they're supposed to. Given that 99.9999% of all vitamin supplements are made from ingredients coming from China, I have serious doubts about whether this is true, I really do.
#77 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 01:20 PM

Thank you both for your replies. I hope I am not hijacking this thread but hopefully there are others reading who have the same questions as me.

Here is my problem - doing nothing doesn't seem to be working. I have a lot of weird things going on with me these days and now some strange things are popping up in my dd. I hate to go the dr route and end up doing one test after the other and then on pills, pills, and more pills. I feel like if I could ever crack the code of what is lacking IN me and my dd then both of us would feel better. But no dr I know is going to look at what minerals my body or dd body is lacking without me knowing exactly what to ask them for. However, doing it all on my OWN scares me! I read and read on here about all of you detoxing/chelating/supplementing and think WOW...how do they figure all this out??!! And the bigger question I have is it is working for those folks who are doing it?

No matter what - I feel that this board is a wonderful tool and truly an experiment of self healing. Though I am skeptical of drs and self healing I hope my cure can be found. I figure if we all keep asking and trying....something good will come.
#78 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank you both for your replies. I hope I am not hijacking this thread but hopefully there are others reading who have the same questions as me.

Here is my problem - doing nothing doesn't seem to be working. I have a lot of weird things going on with me these days and now some strange things are popping up in my dd. I hate to go the dr route and end up doing one test after the other and then on pills, pills, and more pills. I feel like if I could ever crack the code of what is lacking IN me and my dd then both of us would feel better. But no dr I know is going to look at what minerals my body or dd body is lacking without me knowing exactly what to ask them for. However, doing it all on my OWN scares me! I read and read on here about all of you detoxing/chelating/supplementing and think WOW...how do they figure all this out??!! And the bigger question I have is it is working for those folks who are doing it?

No matter what - I feel that this board is a wonderful tool and truly an experiment of self healing. Though I am skeptical of drs and self healing I hope my cure can be found. I figure if we all keep asking and trying....something good will come.
My own husband was terrified to try ANYTHING, even though my mother and I were showing substantial improvement. He told me that we didn't all have the same exact symptoms, so what if what was working for us wouldn't work for him... I told him the only way to know was to try...
He also wanted to know why people that are iodine deficient don't all have all the exact same symptoms and there are reasons for that.. I will post this in the next reply as it is lengthy.
It took a couple months to convince him to take just 1 drop of the liquid-dulse, 1 measly drop, that's only a 1/4 of the lame RDA's limit!!! But with that one drop came energy he hadn't had in months as well as a general well being and then confidence.. a week later he was confident enough to take 2 drops, not sure if you know where I'm going with this but he increased his dose VERY slowly. After 4 months of just drops he was confident enough to take half an iodoral (6.75mg) and when he did boy did he feel even better than before, and his goiter shrunk by half which made him really excited. A couple months later we moved to Ohio and he started feeling worse, his goiter began to get large again, and his panic attacks returned... I looked online and found that the fluoridation levels in the water here are double what they were back home!!! So I had a talk with him about it and convinced him to step it up to 32.5mg, he did and again he was feeling great again and within a couple days the goiter shrunk to almost nothing (this was 1 month ago). Now he has the confidence to up his dose yet again and is debating between another pill (32.5mg) or just half the pill in addition the one he already takes. He also just upped his selenium, he refused to take any additional (the multi already has 100mcg) and the + supplement has an additional 200mcg.

All that to say I totally understand fears with trying something new, or even trying something that someone else says worked for them and being unsure as to how well it will work for you if at all....

You could do as my husband and start small and build up as your confidence increases, you could do as I did and research like hell and have confidence in that enough to dose yourself, or you can do as others have and find a naturopathic, homeopathic, or holistic doc who will look at your levels and tell you exactly what to take and when...

When you think about detoxing I bet you don't think about your body doing it right now do you? Did you know that you already excrete toxins through urination, and even your skin?

"Obviously, we all lose some water through urination and urination is required for the removal of various toxins from the body. When fluid volume is diminished, the ability of the body to remove toxins through urination is also diminished. It is a comon misunderstanding that the more water we drink, the harder it is on the kidneys. In fact, except for people with some uncommon kidney problems, the opposite is true. Water soluble toxins cannot be easily removed through the bowels, especially when a lack of water also causes constipation. These toxins then must be eliminated in other ways such as through the skin. The increase in body toxin levels can cause headaches and fatigue. The attempt by the body to remove excess levels of unwanted chemicals through the skin can cause acne and will aggravate eczema."

Supplementation is just aiding in a more complete removal.. with higher doses I would be worried about the detoxing as the side effects are much worse, however at the small amounts I'm referring to it's not much different from what your body is doing now...

#79 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Each person is affected differently by iodine deficiency, the following may be putting you at higher risk for iodine deficiency.

* Diet is a big one, some people have diets that contain more or less iodine, more or less bromine and/or more or less fluoride. You may be exposed to fluoride and not even know, not all bottled waters are free of it. In fact, most bottled waters not only contain fluoride due to fluoridation of the water in the city it is bottled in but some even add it! Like water for infants, they actually ADD fluoride. I saw a gallon of Nursery brand water at Walmart that was fluoridated. Rather than list the ones with fluoride I will list the ones that don't. Niagra and Sierra Springs are the only bottled waters that I have found that aren't fluoridated. To avoid fluoride find ones that use reverse osmosis or ionic filtration as these are currently the only ways to remove fluoride in drinking water. Aluminum also leaks fluoride while cooking or storage (i.e. soda can, aluminum foil), reconstituted juices may also contain fluoride depending on where it is bottled, and soda contains not only fluoride but most also contain bromide. There is also the bromide in bread and all sorts of other things we come into contact with on a daily basis, for more info. check out the bromide page. Goitrogens are another thing you have to look out for. One of the biggest goitrogens in our food supply (and it’s everywhere in our food supply) is soy. Soybean oil is in salad dressing and mayonnaise. It’s in commercial baby formula. It’s in almost all packaged cakes, candies chips, and crackers. And pretty much every meal you eat at a restaurant cooks their food in soybean oil.

Not only that, but most of the cows, poultry and pigs in this country are fed a diet of industrial corn and soybeans. So even if you think you’re not eating lots of soy, you probably are. Another contributing factor is not only what you eat but how you eat, (i.e. raw veggies vs. cooked). Cooked vegetables lose vitamins, minerals, colors and flavors. For more information on the best ways to retain vitamins and minerals when cooking veggies click here.

* Dental fillings play another important role.. mercury is the most common forms of dental fillings, these leak mercury therefore releasing a steady stream of poison into your body. Mercury binds to the iodine receptors in your body and block the uptake of iodine. When the iodine has no place to settle in the body it is then excreted through your urine. The more fillings you have, the more mercury you will find in your body contributing to your illnesses and low iodine content. Some people require a loading dose of iodine (50mg) for 3 months to push enough heavy metals out in order to increase bodily absorption of iodine.

* Stress is another factor, some people stress easier than others and are more inclined to develop adrenal fatigue associated with iodine deficiency.Emergency situations are notorious for bringing on thyroid problems as well as fibromyalgia and CFS. The reason for this is that when you are deficient in iodine your body is struggling to make do without it's essential food, iodine. After a while you thyroid gives up suffering from fatigue and eventually atrophy (Atrophy is the partial or complete wasting away of a part of the body.) When this happens your adrenal glands try to pick up the slack. Without a break they too become fatigued and thats when people suffer adrenal failure.

* Heredity does play a role since you inherit your mothers iodine deficiency as a babe in her womb. You then inherit your family's eating habits.

* Gender is also a key, more women are predisposed to iodine deficiency than men. That is mainly because women require more, we need 5mg for our thyroid, 5mg for our breasts (larger breasts require more) and at least 2.5mg for the rest of our body (the amount necessary for your uterus has yet to be determined though it also needs a high content). Women need even more when pregnant or breastfeeding. Men need the same 5mg for thyroid and 2.5mg for whole body but possibly less for prostate that is needed for breasts.

#80 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
For detoxing heavy metals, you need glutathione, B2, zinc, selenium and EFAs.
According to this, vitamin C helps the body produce glutathione.. Looking for more sources..

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...0/ai_12512551/

#81 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 02:58 PM

Thanks ChristSavesAll for all the great info! You've inspired me with the story of your husband. I'm going to march back down to Whole Foods and get some liquid dulse and start with just one drop. Surely one drop can't hurt me.
#82 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 04:03 PM

ChristSavesAll, how much liquid dulse would you recommend giving an 11 month old?
#83 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

I'd go with four drops for a while, course you can build up to that if you'd like since you are doing that yourself.. 1mg should be a good amount to get to and that would be about 16 drops if I remember the amount per drop correctly... but of course you'd want to build up to it, say one drop a week that'll be about 4 months so any detoxing would be slow and easy... though you will want to giver her Omega 3's and a multi as well as the iodine at the very least...

Isn't she still bfing? If so then she'll get it from your breastmilk (even if she only feeds a couple times during the day, I'd rely on this as long as possible before supplementing, imo) once you are taking a higher dose yourself. If you are going to rely on your breastmilk then you should definitely also be sure to take the cod liver oil, multi, magnesium and higher vitamin c at the least for you and her...

I hope I made some sense...

#84 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristSavesAll View Post
According to this, vitamin C helps the body produce glutathione.. Looking for more sources..

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...0/ai_12512551/
Vitamin C helps to recycle glutathione, yes. It does not help in it's production.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#85 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 08:22 PM

I got my supplements ordered, and hope they make a difference. I really am so tired of everything.

#86 of 236 Old 05-12-2009, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Vitamin C helps to recycle glutathione, yes. It does not help in it's production.
Actually it does both.. it doesnt help make it on it's own it requires.. something else I found another link and forgot to post it, lemme see if I can find it...
***Update***
Ok I haven't been able to find the link.. I thought I saved it but I guess not and I havent had time to do extra research because of the munchkins so at this time I agree with Jacqueline that it does recycle glutathione and not help make it.

#87 of 236 Old 05-14-2009, 12:48 PM

I found out that my multi (that I take semi-regularly) has 150 mcg of iodine. (as potassium iodide). I also just bought Nature's Life Icelandic Kelp with 225 mcg Iodine from kelp and 41mg kelp. How much would you suggest starting with and how much should I be taking once I've built up for optimum health?

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
#88 of 236 Old 05-14-2009, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri'sgirl View Post
I found out that my multi (that I take semi-regularly) has 150 mcg of iodine. (as potassium iodide). I also just bought Nature's Life Icelandic Kelp with 225 mcg Iodine from kelp and 41mg kelp. How much would you suggest starting with and how much should I be taking once I've built up for optimum health?
I guess you haven't read all the way through this thread or maybe I didn't name it.. hmm.

Anyways, Icelandic kelp is the one I originally bought and then found out after researching online that a mother and daughter were taking high amounts of this to (what I assume) build up their iodine stores.. this is processed with arsenic and has high enough levels taken at high doses to kill a person.. The mom died from taking this. Please return and get another source of iodine.

Here is a link about the kelp product...btw the higher amount of iodine they took was not a contributing factor, it was the about 1mg..
"The kelp samples analyzed in the study had consistently elevated levels of arsenic.."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0406140955.htm

Pay attention to the urinary arsenic concentration and the amount found in the supplements.
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2...6-33273928_ITM

#89 of 236 Old 05-14-2009, 10:12 PM

From the second link:

Although Amster et al. (2007) noted that the arsenic concentration found in most of the analyzed supplements exceeded FDA tolerances for residues in meats and eggs, they did not compare consumed arsenic from these separate sources.

Daily consumption of 5 oz chicken—about one-half a chicken breast [the amount of food from the meat or beans group needed daily by women > 51 years of age, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) current food pyramid (USDA 2007)]—at the allowed arsenic concentration of 0.5 ppm would contain 71 μg arsenic. To take in the same amount of arsenic from the tested samples of Icelandic Kelp, the patient would have needed to consume between 2 g (at 34.8 ppm arsenic) and 45 g (at 1.59 ppm) of these tablets daily. Although she may have used an amount at the lower end of this range, her symptoms would be just as likely to be observed in persons eating more than half a chicken breast each day.

Pat

I have a blog.
#90 of 236 Old 05-18-2009, 05:18 PM

Been taking the kelp granules for a week. Worked up to 1 tsp a day. Have a wicked headache for days now, despite my Brazil nuts, green smoothies, nuts and Epsom salts, and even some extra vit C. Gonna add some Milk Thistle today!

Also, have a lot more energy, and am getting more done around the house and outside in the garden.

Pat

I have a blog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page