My story, my cure... - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2009, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm Sorry!! This is why I'm taking the time on the iodine thread, it's important, I want to get it right. It's hard enough to counter the stereotype, "There's enough in my salt."

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
We're gluten free and most of the bread I eat comes from grains I grind. Good to know about the fruits & veggies. Another reason I can't wait for my farmshare to start.

Not saying I don't have issues with it. Just wish I'd ordered the test kit for it.
Yes, doesn't matter what you eat now. It's stored in your body from your past ...messing with your organs and thyroid and metabolism until enough iodine is ingested to throw it all out as I understand it. Ditto fluoride. And percholorate (remember the breast milk studies?) And nitrate. A whole new level of toxins and what kind of damage they cause. Yippee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
I'm Sorry!! This is why I'm taking the time on the iodine thread, it's important, I want to get it right. It's hard enough to counter the stereotype, "There's enough in my salt."

Yes, doesn't matter what you eat now. It's stored in your body from your past ...messing with your organs and thyroid and metabolism until enough iodine is ingested to throw it all out as I understand it. Ditto fluoride. And percholorate (remember the breast milk studies?) And nitrate. A whole new level of toxins and what kind of damage they cause. Yippee.
Ok, I get it. I'm not adding to the burden but the burden is there. Guess I'll start the Iordoral as soon as I'm done with the loading test. Maybe I can test bromide later. Or maybe I'll call and see if they've mailed the test kit yet.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 05-29-2009, 04:06 PM

Info on bromide detoxing and body odor here:

Quote:
The side effects reported with the use of inorganic non-radioactive iodine are:
• acne-like skin lesions in certain areas of your body
• headache in the frontal sinus
• unpleasant brassy taste
• increased salivation and sneezing

Based on the experience of clinicians with several thousands of patients on Iodoral®, with daily amounts ranging from 6.25 to 50 mg for up to 3 years, the incidence of the above side effects has been estimated at 1 percent.12,13 Orthoiodosupplementation induces a detoxification reaction in some patients with high bromide levels7,8, including increased body odor and cloudy urine. The body odor lasts one to two weeks, but the cloudy urine may last several months before clearing up. It is of interest to note that the pre- iodine loading urine samples in these cases were clear, but following orthoiodosupplementation, the urine samples became very cloudy with an unpleasant odor and a thick sedimentation upon standing. Although these cases were associated with high bromide excretion (greater than 200 mg per 24 hr), it is not clear if the presence of this halogen in the urine sample was the cause of the odor and cloudiness.

Increased fluid intake and a complete nutritional program emphasizing magnesium instead of calcium minimize these side effects. Administration of magnesium in daily amounts up to 1200 mg eliminated the body odor but not the cloudy urine. Scrubbing the skin with a vegetable brush while bathing is recommended in those cases. Occasionally, the released bromide from storage sites induced decreased thyroid function, bromide being a potent goitrogen.5,8 If the loading test provokes high urine bromide levels, it is best to start the patient on a low dose of iodine (1/2 to 1 tablet Iodoral®) and progressively increase the daily intake for optimal response to bring serum and urine bromide levels below 10 mg/L and 10 mg per 24 hr respectively. In some patients, it may take up to 2 years. Bromide is ubiquitous in our homes and environment. Bromine-containing fire retardants are in our carpets, our clothes, even children’s clothes! The question: Is this due to collective stupidity or a well planned conspiracy?

Since chloride increases renal clearance of bromide8, a trial of chloride load (6-10 gm per day) would decrease the time required for bromide detoxification. Use unprocessed sea salt instead of processed iodized table salt. If serum and urine bromide levels are not available, it is best to start with a daily amount of one tablet of Iodoral® and increasing the amount to two tablets after one week, three tablets after two weeks and four tablets after three weeks. A complete nutritional program emphasizing magnesium is recommended. Use clinical observation of the patient’s response and overall well being to titrate the iodine supplementation like our medical predecessors who did not have access to serum thyroid hormone levels and procedures for assessing whole body sufficiency for iodine.
http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?pag...1&qid=&zTYPE=2
Old 05-29-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
a trial of chloride load (6-10 gm per day)
This refers to the salt loading protocol described at http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/b...trategies.html
Old 05-29-2009, 04:45 PM

Jane, thank you for all the information!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 05-29-2009, 05:30 PM

i have a lot of signs of bromide detoxing, but i'm not taking iodine.. is there anything else that would cause detoxing? or am i just really toxic..
Old 05-29-2009, 05:47 PM

Interesting. Lately I've had BO & cloudy urine but I havent started the iodine. Wonder if it will get worse?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 05-29-2009, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouthead View Post
i have a lot of signs of bromide detoxing, but i'm not taking iodine.. is there anything else that would cause detoxing? or am i just really toxic..
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Interesting. Lately I've had BO & cloudy urine but I havent started the iodine. Wonder if it will get worse?
Symptoms of bromism and bromide detox are the same, in both cases bromide is circulating in your body poisoning it which is causing the symptoms you are feeling.

Which is why you first feel a bit worse when you begin detoxing but get better because your body is being slowly emptied of the poison.

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristSavesAll View Post
Symptoms of bromism and bromide detox are the same, in both cases bromide is circulating in your body poisoning it which is causing the symptoms you are feeling.

Which is why you first feel a bit worse when you begin detoxing but get better because your body is being slowly emptied of the poison.
So are you saying that something else I am doing is causing bromide detox? Like maybe high amounts of vit c? Maybe this is why I feel crappy.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 05-29-2009, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

More info on Bromide and it's toxicity.

http://www.cspinet.org/new/bromate.html

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
Old 05-30-2009, 06:34 PM

Old 05-31-2009, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Chlobo, bromide is in your body, it lingers until the iodine kicks it out. While it is lingering, it effects your body: exhaustion, depression, BO, etc. It also does this while taking iodine when you begin detoxing but usually the symptoms become more extreme as it loosens up the bromide and it effects you before being excreted. Does this make better sense to you? I'll see about finding the links for ya.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Chlobo, bromide is in your body, it lingers until the iodine kicks it out. While it is lingering, it effects your body: exhaustion, depression, BO, etc. It also does this while taking iodine when you begin detoxing but usually the symptoms become more extreme as it loosens up the bromide and it effects you before being excreted. Does this make better sense to you? I'll see about finding the links for ya.
This makes total sense. I guess I should have figured that its another thing that sticks with you even when you are no longer consuming large amounts of it. I'm doing my loading test today. We'll see how it goes. I could sure use some relief from exhaustion.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 06-03-2009, 07:46 PM

subbing for later
Old 06-08-2009, 12:28 PM

I'm only halfway through the thread, but if you haven't said yet, what would you say are some of your most nutrient dense, adrenal/thyroid supporting foods? I hope to be there one day and not popping 12 things a day.

thanks! Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
I really like reading these sorts of stories and am glad you found something that really works for you.

As for me, I try hard NOT to take supplements. They scare me to no end. Instead, I prefer to get my nutrients from whole foods and have actually cured my PCOS, acne, obesity, blood sugar swings, joint problems, back pain, energy issues, sleep problems, etc. through diet and diet alone.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:18 PM

Oh, and re: bromide- I haven't heard this mentioned much, but our old hot tub came with BROMIDE tablets to disinfect the water. Yuck. I instinctively knew it couldn't be much healthier than chlorine and only used the hot tub a handful of times in 4 years or so. I imagine all that hot water would really help it absorb through the skin too!
Old 06-10-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Just wondering if there are any updates from the other mommas out there that began supplementing...

What are you taking?

How are you feeling now?

Did you have any detox symptoms when you began supplementing? For how long?

Old 07-03-2009, 01:59 AM

Just finished this thread.

I posted this on the other iodine thread as well.

I've been taking 25 mg iodine for a few weeks now. (1 week of 12.5 and 2 weeks of 25) I'm trying to decide if I should increase my dose or not. My only real symptom is my need for mag is going way up which is a good thing since taking more than a tiny dose has been a real problem for me for many months and yet I really felt like my body was desperate for it.

I'm wondering about the multi that is mentioned a bunch of times. How does it compare to Dr Ron's? I just ordered his multi.(and iodine, msm, and cal/mag)

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Old 07-03-2009, 02:36 AM

I can't take the Dr Ron's because it has ALA and the One N Only has corn in it. I'm extremely sensitive to corn right now.

Anyone have another multi you think is good? I can fill in some gaps if I need to. I'm just tired of piecing it all together. (I tend to run out of things and forget to re order because there are so many different things that I take. I forgot about b's entirely for months at one point.)

our family is <>< and :
Old 07-05-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Just wondering if there are any updates from the other mommas out there that began supplementing...

What are you taking?

How are you feeling now?

Did you have any detox symptoms when you began supplementing? For how long?
I'm at 5drops liquid dulse
magnesium
brazil nut
siberian ginseng
multi
feel the same. should probably up iodine. Still BF so don't want detox.

Question for you for about 2 months my throat feels so strange like a pressure/tight feeling. It's not painful but annoying.It comes and goes throughout the day. Could be thyroid related?
Possibly a reflux thing?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

The tight feeling in your throat is your thyroid, when it is searching for iodine it swells because it is filtering your blood trying to find the iodine it needs. I had the same problem until I upped my dose and then it went away. My husband also had the same problem, later in the day he would notice it swelling slightly and I told him to take more, he did and the swelling stopped.

Try adding some when it starts feeling that way, doesnt have to be a lot if you don't want to because of detoxing, but try a 1/4 tablet and see how that helps.

Pattyla I will look and see what multi I can find for you...

Old 07-07-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
The tight feeling in your throat is your thyroid, when it is searching for iodine it swells because it is filtering your blood trying to find the iodine it needs. I had the same problem until I upped my dose and then it went away. My husband also had the same problem, later in the day he would notice it swelling slightly and I told him to take more, he did and the swelling stopped.

Try adding some when it starts feeling that way, doesnt have to be a lot if you don't want to because of detoxing, but try a 1/4 tablet and see how that helps.

Pattyla I will look and see what multi I can find for you...
I'm taking the liquid dulse. Does that mean i could have a nodule? It does look swollen?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 AM

I've got a multi. ::

Thorne Basic Nutrients IV
click here to see a list of all products and click on the product to see ingredients.

I'm having that lump in my throat feeling too. Talked to my nutritionist tonight about it. She suggested I play with my iodine dose and see if I felt better on a lower dose or a higher dose. She said that the higher dose I'm on the more I'm detoxing but also the more iodine in my bm protecting my nursling from the toxins. She's pretty conservative about what is safe for nursing.

our family is <>< and :
Old 07-09-2009, 01:05 AM

I've read and reread this with all the supplements and seems like a lot to take. This is all OTC, right? Can it be purchased locally and where or is it all online purchase? What possible overdose?

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 07-10-2009, 01:54 AM

So on a whim I decided to double my iodine dose to 50 mg. I feel so much better! I can't believe it. I'm still really tired but I think that may just be my adrenals trying to recover but I really do feel much better on a 50 mg dose than I felt on 25 mg. I've still got that lump in my throat but I'm hoping it will go away. It seems slightly better today but that could be wishful thinking.

our family is <>< and :
Old 07-10-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
So on a whim I decided to double my iodine dose to 50 mg. I feel so much better! I can't believe it. I'm still really tired but I think that may just be my adrenals trying to recover but I really do feel much better on a 50 mg dose than I felt on 25 mg. I've still got that lump in my throat but I'm hoping it will go away. It seems slightly better today but that could be wishful thinking.
does your lump come and go? Mine is more like a feeling of pressure that come and goes...
Old 07-11-2009, 05:52 PM

My lump is pretty constant but I do think it is lessening. I did not have it until about 3 weeks into using the iodine.

FTR I feel really good now. I'm not sure if it is increasing my iodine to 50 mg, my new multi or starting gensing but whatever it is I'm not changing anything.

our family is <>< and :
Old 07-13-2009, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to post back about the multi, I remembered that it contains no common allergens but have been so busy I didn't double check I just took Pattyla's word that my multi had corn, I thought she'd seen it somewhere or something....

Anyways this is what the manufacturer says about One 'n' Only

"Contains no sugar, yeast, gluten, dairy, corn or other common allergens and is suitable for vegetarians."

Ok so I just updated myself with the new postings...

Glad to hear you're feeling better Pattyla! That's wonderful news! Keep us posted, I'd love to hear about your path to healing!

Old 07-13-2009, 02:19 PM

Ok so saw doc about my throat he's it's not my thyroid but reflux. He said my throat is red and swollen. His advice "cut out gluten" says is number one cause for reflux. Just wanted to give update
Old 07-13-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
Ok so saw doc about my throat he's it's not my thyroid but reflux. He said my throat is red and swollen. His advice "cut out gluten" says is number one cause for reflux. Just wanted to give update
Try some ACV, water kefir, carrot juice, sauerkraut juice to improve stomach acid, thus digestion and I agree with the doctor. (don't get to say that often around here, lol)

Pat

I have a blog.

User Tag List