Swine Flu - What are the alternatives to Vaccination? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
 
luminesce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In a perpetual 2WW
Posts: 2,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Nah. Vaccine making is SLOW business. This will be a flash in the pan virus. I doubt they will get a vax to the market before it's yesterday's news.

-Angela
I hope you're right; but even if this dies out in the summer, they'll likely still continue work on a vaccine. The 1918 pandemic petered out from March to August but came back with a vengeance from August to December.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
luminesce is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-30-2009, 03:25 AM
 
isaoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
http://www.virginiahopkinstestkits.c...amindtest.html
As for the OP's question, for prevention/treatment, personally I'll do:
- no sugar and otherwise good eating
- Vitamin D/A with pantothenic acid (a vitamin D cofactor)
- zinc
- sodium ascorbate
- perhaps Sambucol
I would definately avoid sambucol/elderberry juice since it actually increases cytokine production:
http://articles.directorym.com/Benef...y-a981649.html

"However, it is its effect on the immune system for which elderberry is generally studied by the medical professions. Elderberry helps to boost the immune system predominantly through the production of cytokines."
isaoma is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 10:53 AM
 
Juvysen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitii View Post
Correcting Vitamin D levels is not "immune system boosting." In fact, evidence shows it may help prevent the cytokine storm they speculate may have been involved in the deaths of the young and healthy in prior pandemics. Correcting Vitamin D levels help the body function normally, the way it is meant to, not via a "boost", etc. What I would consider "immune system boosting" would be using things like echinaceea, etc. which, yes, could potentially be dangerous if pandemic flu does kill the young and healthy via a cytokine storm.

(On a side note, personally, I wouldn't put a lick of faith in homeopathic remedies. They are ultimately placebos with no trace of anything useful left in them. For instance, the active ingredient in homepathic sleeping pills is caffeine titrated down until there is nothing left of it. I'm scientifically minded and... well, there is just no science in that. Google James Randi's video on homeopathy for an amusing (but rather accurate) set of reasons why I don't believe it works.)
Actually, from what I understand, despite being so watered down, they've beaten placebos in tests.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

 

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Juvysen is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 01:02 PM
 
Sarahstw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
There is no vax for it, so that's not even an option.

-Angela

Has anyone noticed the above quote?

How about the "just don't panic and go on about your regular life" option. That's the option for me!

Clinical Herbalist. Trained but never certified, licensed, or registered as a midwife.
07/10/09
Sarahstw is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 01:10 PM
 
show&tell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to get on a supplementation program anyway -- this sounds like a good enough impetus for me.

Can anyone advise me about nursing mothers? Are there any concerns with Vitamin D passing to the nursling(s)?

I'm thinking:
Vitamin D 2,000 IU
Sodium Ascorbate to tolerance

Also, I'm nursing a 2.9 year old (once a day) should I cut down his dosages because of this?
Currently thinking:
Sodium Ascorbate to tolerance (?)
Vitamin D 1,000 IU

Sorry for the specific question, hopefully it wil be useful for some others!
show&tell is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 01:10 PM
 
Raene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 1,969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
During the 1918 flu outbreak, an odd thing was noticed. Workers at cinnamon factories never caught the Spanish flu. Natural cinnamon dust blocked the flu virus from entering the body. To be technical, cinnamon might not prevent you from catching this particular flu, since it is a hybrid, but it will help to reduce the hemorrhagic edema from the bird flu component, which is the actual cause of death.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Raene is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 01:35 PM
 
Aquafina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
During the 1918 flu outbreak, an odd thing was noticed. Workers at cinnamon factories never caught the Spanish flu. Natural cinnamon dust blocked the flu virus from entering the body. To be technical, cinnamon might not prevent you from catching this particular flu, since it is a hybrid, but it will help to reduce the hemorrhagic edema from the bird flu component, which is the actual cause of death.

Interesting any links to this I bet we would like to all read more about this I know I would
Aquafina is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
 
luminesce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In a perpetual 2WW
Posts: 2,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
Actually, from what I understand, despite being so watered down, they've beaten placebos in tests.
Got links to the studies?

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
luminesce is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
 
luminesce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In a perpetual 2WW
Posts: 2,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by show&tell View Post
I'd like to get on a supplementation program anyway -- this sounds like a good enough impetus for me.

Can anyone advise me about nursing mothers? Are there any concerns with Vitamin D passing to the nursling(s)?

I'm thinking:
Vitamin D 2,000 IU
Sodium Ascorbate to tolerance

Also, I'm nursing a 2.9 year old (once a day) should I cut down his dosages because of this?
Currently thinking:
Sodium Ascorbate to tolerance (?)
Vitamin D 1,000 IU

Sorry for the specific question, hopefully it wil be useful for some others!
I have not seen any concerns with 2,000 IU and nursing in the studies I've read. Vitamin D is not transmitted very well through breast milk. I researched this prior to supplementing at higher doses (I'm still nursing my toddler, who is 2.) Studies have shown that women need to take 4,000 IU just to even begin to change the Vitamin D status in their nursling (and only nursing once a day would probably mean very little is passed.) And despite regular dietary intake, 2,000 IU is a safe amount to supplement for ages 2+. Vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy and nursing (and for the nursling) is a growing concern.

I'm taking 4,000 IU and my toddler is taking 800 IU but now that he is 2, I'm going to increase to 1,200 IU (The Carlson drops that we have are 400 IU but they also have 1,000 and 2,000 IU drops.)

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
luminesce is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 02:06 PM
 
Raene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 1,969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
Interesting any links to this I bet we would like to all read more about this I know I would
Cinnamon and "Swine Flu"

by Michael Rivero
April 27, 2009


Aloha y’all!

Apologies if you received this twice. Our mail server choked on the first try and some emails went out but most did not.

As you know, Claire and I are not usually prone to sending out mass emails to our mailing list, but in this case we felt it was necessary.

As you may be aware, there has been an outbreak of flu in Mexico which has already spread to the US, New Zealand, France, etc. In this modern age of jet travel, it is probably already in every major urban area, albeit still in incubation phase.

The WHO and CDC are calling it Swine Flu, but this is misleading, as the virus is actually a hybrid of human flu virus, pig flu virus, and the bird flu.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/email/...53N0RZ20090424

Around here we are calling it the “When Pigs Fly” flu.

Obviously, such a weird three-way hybrid raises some serious questions about what people and birds and pigs are doing to each other out there behind the barn, but such speculations are beyond the scope of the current missive. The important aspect is that the bird flu component is almost identical to the misnamed Spanish flu of 1918 (which was not from Spain but first appeared on a US military base at Fort Riley, Kansas)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._bird_flu.html

During the 1918 flu outbreak, an odd thing was noticed. Workers at cinnamon factories never caught the Spanish flu. Natural cinnamon dust blocked the flu virus from entering the body. To be technical, cinnamon might not prevent you from catching this particular flu, since it is a hybrid, but it will help to reduce the hemorrhagic edema from the bird flu component, which is the actual cause of death.

Right now a lot of pharmaceutical companies are rubbing their hands together at the thought of selling a lot of vaccines. But there isn’t actually a vaccine designed for this flu, and worse, in their haste to sell products, there have been some pretty bad accidents. During the 1976 flu outbreak (that one originated at Ford Dix) , more people died from the vaccine than from the flu and the mandatory vaccination program was halted part-way through. [http://www.capitalcentury.com/1976.html]

Last year, Baxter Pharmaceuticals released a test vaccine for swine flu which was discovered to have live bird flu virus in it!

http://socioecohistory.wordpress.com...-18-countries/



I am not a doctor, and I don’t play one on TV (Actually, I did play a doctor in “Alligator” but that’s a whole other story), and I do not presume to tell anyone how to live their lives.

But having a lot of cinnamon in the kitchen cupboard and having some cinnamon toast for breakfast every morning couldn’t hurt, right?

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...healthbenefits

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/arc...p?t-30348.html


Michael Rivero

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Raene is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 02:06 PM
 
Raene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 1,969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's something else interesting:

During the Black Plague, a band of thieves went around robbing the dying and dead. Upon their capture, the magistrate offered to spare their lives if they would reveal how it was they protected themselves. The bandits (spice merchants and perfumers) relied on an old Egyptian alchemist's recipe: herbs and essential oils of lemon, cinnamon, clove, rosemary, and eucalyptus.

Clove - Clove oil is the most powerful known antioxidant on the planet. Coming in at approximately 10,800,000 this oil has the highest rating on the ORAC scale than any other substance organic or otherwise. Nothing even came close. Clove stops free radical damage dead in their tracks. Also a powerful antimicrobial ranking right up there with Oregano & Cinnamon Bark. Very strong against all forms of infection & disease processes, Clove also has excellent analgesic properties. Clove is a general stimulant very effective in getting our bodies to take action in eradicating unhealthy microbes quickly & effectively. This single oil is high in Eugenol, a natural compound that successfully eradicates a myriad of harmful microbes including tuberculosis, oral & periodontal issues, scabies, parasites, wounds, cancer, autoimmune, Fibromyalgia, all respiratory concerns, cystitis, diarrhea, amoebic dysentery, fatigue, thyroid malfunction, bacterial colitis & ulcers, lymphoma, warts, viral hepatitis, neuritis, chronic skin disorders, insect bites, snoring & excellent for removing toxic chemical build up internally. Clove is often associated with extreme abundance by the people honoring ancient oriental traditions.

Lemon - Lemon oil promotes Leukocyte (healthy cells) formation. Improves memory recall & decrease errors by over 50% upon inhalation. Stimulating & invigorating to all areas of our brain, relieves fatigue, improves lymphatic function, microcirculation, assists in more clear vision Also tremendous antimicrobial activity. Lemon is clinically proven to combat staff, strep, pneumonia, typhoid, tuberculosis meningitis, diphtheria, and many other bacterial and viral infections. Additionally, assists our body in digesting excess fat, dissolves cellulite & restores skin elasticity.

Cinnamon Bark - Cinnamon Bark oil is singly the most powerful oil for all infectious microbes; viral, bacterial, fungal & parasitic. A powerful purifier, oxygenator & enhances the action of other oils used. Cinnamon Barks frequency attracts wealth & abundance as recorded in historical Chinese & East Indian records. Cinnamon oil had great value due to all its health sustaining abilities & only the wealthy could obtain it. Cinnamon's action is aggressive so be mindful when using in sensitive areas. Never diffuse Cinnamon Bark alone, however it's excellent to diffuse in blends such as Thieves.

Eucalyptus Radiata - Eucalyptus Radiata - oil is a powerful anti-infectious & expectorant as well as very helpful against endometriosis, vaginitis, allergies, sinusitis and all respiratory conditions.

Rosemary - Rosemary oil is an outstanding antimicrobial for everything from dandruff to prostate issues to candida. Very effective in balancing the endocrine system & removing excess mucous. Also stimulating to our mind, assisting us in overcoming fatigue & increasing memory & clear thinking.

(via http://www.wahm.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6133200)

There has been much research proving that most viruses, fungi, and bacteria cannot live in the presence of many essential oils, particularly oils high in phenols, caracrol, thymol, and terpenes. Just a .2 percent concentration of lemon oil and vinegar can kill Staph - even the antibiotic-resitent varieties. Eucalyptus, lavender, tea tree, grapefruits seed extract, lemon and oregano essential oils kill MSRA and E. coli on contact. Thieves Oil has been proven to kill 99.96 of unhealthy microbes. Obviously, the medical, pharmaceutical and chemical industries and Donald Rumsfeld don't want people to have this information.

The oils should be stored in glass vials/bottle and stored in a cool, dark place. Don't leave bottles open: the lighter, volatile molecules evaporate quickly, leaving the heavier molecules in the bottle. The evaporation changes the chemistry of the oil, making it less beneficial.

I have been using Thieves Oil for almost eight years now. The formula that works for me is 3 parts cinnamon, 3 parts clove, 3 parts lemon, 1 part rosemary, and 1 part eucalyptus. I have seen recipes calling for equal amounts, but I lighten the eucalyptus and rosemary so that I can use Thieves Oil orally. (Eucalyptus and Rosemary can be highly toxic if used orally.)

I use Thieves Oil before I travel, attend large events, or when I am around children (who always seem to have runny noses and all sort of other sicknesses). I have a small vial that open and inhale until I can feel the molecules in my nasal cavity. I sniff it once or twice in the day and it seems to work well at preventing sickness. (When I lived in Phoenix, I used the aromatherapy version of Thieves Oil on days the government was spraying barium vapors over the skies. My friends got sick; I didn't, but that's all just a silly conspiracy...)

If I develop a scratchy throat, I add a few drops of Thieves Oil to mouthwash. I also put a drop or two in a glass of water and drink it.

You can also dilute Thieves Oil with olive oil and apply it to the wrists, feet, temple, chest, and/or the nape of the neck.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Raene is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 02:16 PM
 
KimPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaoma View Post
I would definately avoid sambucol/elderberry juice since it actually increases cytokine production:
http://articles.directorym.com/Benef...y-a981649.html

"However, it is its effect on the immune system for which elderberry is generally studied by the medical professions. Elderberry helps to boost the immune system predominantly through the production of cytokines."
Good point about the Sambucol. I would only take it if it was determined that a cytokine storm is not the problem with this wave of flu.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
KimPM is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 02:20 PM
 
KimPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Thieves Oil: The formula that works for me is 3 parts cinnamon, 3 parts clove, 3 parts lemon, 1 part rosemary, and 1 part eucalyptus. I have seen recipes calling for equal amounts, but I lighten the eucalyptus and rosemary so that I can use Thieves Oil orally. (Eucalyptus and Rosemary can be highly toxic if used orally.)
This sounds interesting, except that I'm quite sensitive to all of the components of it, except the rosemary.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
KimPM is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 02:36 PM
 
KimPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post
Questions on this:

How much zinc?

Is calcium ascorbate just as good as sodium ascorbate, and how much of this?

Thanks...
Calcium ascorbate info on this page...
http://www.nutri.com/index.cfm/produ...stals-9-oz.cfm
"Calcium ascorbate should NOT be your sole source of megadose C or a calcium overload may result."

However, if you are taking "only" 500-1000 mg per day, then calcium ascorbate is probably okay. If you want to up the dosage for treatment, consider adding sodium ascorbate instead.

As for the zinc, be sure you'ge getting a normal RDA of it as a preventive. I would only do a little more taken as lozenges for treatment, and then only for 3-4 days. You can definitely overdo the zinc.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
KimPM is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 02:44 PM
 
Juvysen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitii View Post
Got links to the studies?
Nope, I read it somewhere ages ago. Honestly, though, placebos are used because they *work*, so I'd rather take a placebo with no side effects than take my chances with other stuff. :

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

 

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Juvysen is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 02:52 PM
 
show&tell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitii View Post
Studies have shown that women need to take 4,000 IU just to even begin to change the Vitamin D status in their nursling (and only nursing once a day would probably mean very little is passed.) And despite regular dietary intake, 2,000 IU is a safe amount to supplement for ages 2+. Vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy and nursing (and for the nursling) is a growing concern.
Thanks Serenitii...I failed to mention that I'm nursing both my 2.9 year old and my 7 month old. But it looks like my babies are safe anyway. I really appreciate your response.

Should I be taking Zinc, too? Did I see that somewhere?

Just saw this on Zinc from KimPM:
As for the zinc, be sure you'ge getting a normal RDA of it as a preventive. I would only do a little more taken as lozenges for treatment, and then only for 3-4 days. You can definitely overdo the zinc.
show&tell is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 05:43 PM
 
LeighB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought vitamin D-3 today because they were out of regular D. Does it matter? Also what (if anything) should my 16 month old be taking?
Thanks!

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
LeighB is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 06:16 PM
 
KimPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighB View Post
I bought vitamin D-3 today because they were out of regular D. Does it matter? Also what (if anything) should my 16 month old be taking?
Thanks!
D3 is the kind you should be taking, unless you can't take both lanolin and fish (because D3 comes from either lanolin or fish). The source might be specified on the package.

If your D3 is a liquid form you can either add it to food/drink (something that has fat in it) or put some on the skin. If it's a powder form you can add it to food and mix it in (open the capsule and empty the contents into food).

Your 16 month old can have some supplemental vitamin D, but I'm not sure you want to use as much as you would on yourself.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
KimPM is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 11:15 PM
 
lablover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
If your D3 is a liquid form you can either add it to food/drink (something that has fat in it) or put some on the skin. If it's a powder form you can add it to food and mix it in (open the capsule and empty the contents into food).
I have the D3 drops. Should I not put the drop directly in my mouth, with no food or drink?
lablover is offline  
Old 04-30-2009, 11:58 PM
 
KimPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lablover View Post
I have the D3 drops. Should I not put the drop directly in my mouth, with no food or drink?
Okay, you can do that if you want, instead. Either way.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
KimPM is offline  
Old 05-01-2009, 04:40 AM
 
hummingmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been studying homeopathy for years. I don't claim to know how it works, but it does something. (Unfortunately, not always what you're hoping for it to do!)

My husband, a skeptic and science buff, pretty much ignored this "nuttiness" on my part... until he came across this book. Now his interest is piqued:

13 Things That Don't Make Sense: Homeopathy
hummingmom is offline  
Old 05-01-2009, 11:04 AM
 
KimPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've also been considering two antiviral herbs for treatment... olive leaf and astragalus. Does anyone have any information on how those affect cytokines?

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
KimPM is offline  
Old 05-01-2009, 01:31 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
but it will help to reduce the hemorrhagic edema from the bird flu component, which is the actual cause of death.
My understanding is that the deaths so far have been usual flu-type deaths with respiratory issues and pneumonia.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
Old 05-16-2009, 06:24 AM
 
whooopsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: northern GERMANY
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what about the children and swine-flue-"prevention"?

i have a 3-year-old "biracial" daugther (with light brown skin tone) - i am white. i am just mentioning this because pediatritions already told me that she has a higher need on vitamin d than white kids due to the pigmantation and need of sun.

as we live in germany currently there is not so much sun, but i havent given any vitamins to her yet. we will visit her father in california in july though and i am thinking of putting her on a "vitamin-d-program". our doctor does not see the need though.

do you have an experiences with children and vitamin d??

Me with the wonder of my life (2/06) * : * : * * * ...surfin' together on the wave of life : ...
whooopsy is offline  
Old 07-28-2009, 06:07 PM
 
foodmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooopsy View Post
what about the children and swine-flue-"prevention"?

i have a 3-year-old "biracial" daugther (with light brown skin tone) - i am white. i am just mentioning this because pediatritions already told me that she has a higher need on vitamin d than white kids due to the pigmantation and need of sun.

as we live in germany currently there is not so much sun, but i havent given any vitamins to her yet. we will visit her father in california in july though and i am thinking of putting her on a "vitamin-d-program". our doctor does not see the need though.

do you have an experiences with children and vitamin d??
I think your Dr doesn't read the paper Whoopsy! Here in Sweden there is a big problem with vitamin D deficiency in children with brown skin tone. All children here are given D drops until they are 2. Some children of immigrant families are deficient b/c they aren't taking the drops due to misunderstanding, mistrust, etc. You are right to think your DD should have her D.

Great thread btw, I flying to/from Japan with DD in September. Looks like I'll up her and my vitamin D and rub some thieves oil (plus oregano oil i think) into our feet.

Is thieves oil ok if you pregnant/nursing?

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
foodmachine is offline  
Old 07-28-2009, 06:29 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooopsy View Post
what about the children and swine-flue-"prevention"?

i have a 3-year-old "biracial" daugther (with light brown skin tone) - i am white. i am just mentioning this because pediatritions already told me that she has a higher need on vitamin d than white kids due to the pigmantation and need of sun.

as we live in germany currently there is not so much sun, but i havent given any vitamins to her yet. we will visit her father in california in july though and i am thinking of putting her on a "vitamin-d-program". our doctor does not see the need though.

do you have an experiences with children and vitamin d??
In the US, darker-skinned kids are at significantly higher risk of vitamin D deficiency, and I'm not sure of Germany's latitude, but maybe comparable to the northern half/third of the US? I think your doctor either hasn't looked closely at the data, or is perfectly fine with the low end of the normal range, which data suggests isn't really enough (30-100 is a normal range in the US, many folks aim for 50+).

Depending on your risk tolerance, you can either start supplementing and then test in a few months, or test now and then start supplementing and probably plan to re-test. In the US, there's a home test kit that uses a few drops of blood, not sure if something similar is available in Germany.
tanyalynn is offline  
Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 PM
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Here's something else interesting:

During the Black Plague, a band of thieves went around robbing the dying and dead. Upon their capture, the magistrate offered to spare their lives if they would reveal how it was they protected themselves. The bandits (spice merchants and perfumers) relied on an old Egyptian alchemist's recipe: herbs and essential oils of lemon, cinnamon, clove, rosemary, and eucalyptus.

Clove - Clove oil is the most powerful known antioxidant on the planet. Coming in at approximately 10,800,000 this oil has the highest rating on the ORAC scale than any other substance organic or otherwise. Nothing even came close. Clove stops free radical damage dead in their tracks. Also a powerful antimicrobial ranking right up there with Oregano & Cinnamon Bark. Very strong against all forms of infection & disease processes, Clove also has excellent analgesic properties. Clove is a general stimulant very effective in getting our bodies to take action in eradicating unhealthy microbes quickly & effectively. This single oil is high in Eugenol, a natural compound that successfully eradicates a myriad of harmful microbes including tuberculosis, oral & periodontal issues, scabies, parasites, wounds, cancer, autoimmune, Fibromyalgia, all respiratory concerns, cystitis, diarrhea, amoebic dysentery, fatigue, thyroid malfunction, bacterial colitis & ulcers, lymphoma, warts, viral hepatitis, neuritis, chronic skin disorders, insect bites, snoring & excellent for removing toxic chemical build up internally. Clove is often associated with extreme abundance by the people honoring ancient oriental traditions.

Lemon - Lemon oil promotes Leukocyte (healthy cells) formation. Improves memory recall & decrease errors by over 50% upon inhalation. Stimulating & invigorating to all areas of our brain, relieves fatigue, improves lymphatic function, microcirculation, assists in more clear vision Also tremendous antimicrobial activity. Lemon is clinically proven to combat staff, strep, pneumonia, typhoid, tuberculosis meningitis, diphtheria, and many other bacterial and viral infections. Additionally, assists our body in digesting excess fat, dissolves cellulite & restores skin elasticity.

Cinnamon Bark - Cinnamon Bark oil is singly the most powerful oil for all infectious microbes; viral, bacterial, fungal & parasitic. A powerful purifier, oxygenator & enhances the action of other oils used. Cinnamon Barks frequency attracts wealth & abundance as recorded in historical Chinese & East Indian records. Cinnamon oil had great value due to all its health sustaining abilities & only the wealthy could obtain it. Cinnamon's action is aggressive so be mindful when using in sensitive areas. Never diffuse Cinnamon Bark alone, however it's excellent to diffuse in blends such as Thieves.

Eucalyptus Radiata - Eucalyptus Radiata - oil is a powerful anti-infectious & expectorant as well as very helpful against endometriosis, vaginitis, allergies, sinusitis and all respiratory conditions.

Rosemary - Rosemary oil is an outstanding antimicrobial for everything from dandruff to prostate issues to candida. Very effective in balancing the endocrine system & removing excess mucous. Also stimulating to our mind, assisting us in overcoming fatigue & increasing memory & clear thinking.

(via http://www.wahm.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6133200)

There has been much research proving that most viruses, fungi, and bacteria cannot live in the presence of many essential oils, particularly oils high in phenols, caracrol, thymol, and terpenes. Just a .2 percent concentration of lemon oil and vinegar can kill Staph - even the antibiotic-resitent varieties. Eucalyptus, lavender, tea tree, grapefruits seed extract, lemon and oregano essential oils kill MSRA and E. coli on contact. Thieves Oil has been proven to kill 99.96 of unhealthy microbes. Obviously, the medical, pharmaceutical and chemical industries and Donald Rumsfeld don't want people to have this information.

The oils should be stored in glass vials/bottle and stored in a cool, dark place. Don't leave bottles open: the lighter, volatile molecules evaporate quickly, leaving the heavier molecules in the bottle. The evaporation changes the chemistry of the oil, making it less beneficial.

I have been using Thieves Oil for almost eight years now. The formula that works for me is 3 parts cinnamon, 3 parts clove, 3 parts lemon, 1 part rosemary, and 1 part eucalyptus. I have seen recipes calling for equal amounts, but I lighten the eucalyptus and rosemary so that I can use Thieves Oil orally. (Eucalyptus and Rosemary can be highly toxic if used orally.)

I use Thieves Oil before I travel, attend large events, or when I am around children (who always seem to have runny noses and all sort of other sicknesses). I have a small vial that open and inhale until I can feel the molecules in my nasal cavity. I sniff it once or twice in the day and it seems to work well at preventing sickness. (When I lived in Phoenix, I used the aromatherapy version of Thieves Oil on days the government was spraying barium vapors over the skies. My friends got sick; I didn't, but that's all just a silly conspiracy...)

If I develop a scratchy throat, I add a few drops of Thieves Oil to mouthwash. I also put a drop or two in a glass of water and drink it.

You can also dilute Thieves Oil with olive oil and apply it to the wrists, feet, temple, chest, and/or the nape of the neck.
Could you post instructions on how to mke the oil? Pretty please
mom61508 is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off