safe treatments for vaginal yeast infection? (am pregnant) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have some tips for treating a vaginal yeast infection safely and effectively? I'm pregnant and am not sure about going the 'monistat' route. thanks.
#2 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 03:40 AM

DON'T insert boric acid vaginally. Bad idea. Just a word of advice, in case you hear about it. My midwfe recomm'd I do that with my second son and after trying it twice, I went into labor early with him. He was born fine, but I had a bad feeling about it at the time and wished I had avoided using it.

Eating more low-sugar yogurt a few times a day helps, as is taking a green food supplement. I have seen tea tree capsules at the local herb shop you insert into the vagina. You could ask your herbalist or midwife about the safety of that remedy. (It came in a package specifically to treat yeast infections)

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 07:06 AM

Garlic (raw and roughed up a bit) put on a string and inserted vaginally over night. Also eat lots of raw garlic. Vita C especially SA (sodium ascorbate) orally.
#4 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 11:33 AM

Apply coconut oil to the area. Add it to your diet, too. It has amazing antifungal (and antibacterial properties). It worked for me when nothing else did.
#5 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 11:47 AM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Yeast Gard! It's a homeopathic, probiotic treatment. There are suppositories, pills, and gels that you can use. I had reocurring yeast infections, they were awful and came back every month for months on end. When I used Yeast Gard they stopped coming back! I highly recomend their products to everyone who asks about yeast infections. You can check out the website YeastGard.com if you have questions. I can't see why it wouldn't be safe to use during pregnancy since it's probiotic. You might check the website first just to be sure.
I think they have a store finder as well. I was able to get it at my local CVS store.
#6 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 01:46 PM

garlic suppository, coconut oil externally.

If more people knew about garlic for yeast infections, it would put Monostat and OBs out of business.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#7 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
Garlic (raw and roughed up a bit) put on a string and inserted vaginally over night. Also eat lots of raw garlic. Vita C especially SA (sodium ascorbate) orally.
I forgot about that one, good idea. I used a small piece of medical gauze to make it easy to remove.

mdcblog5.gif

#8 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
garlic suppository, coconut oil externally.

If more people knew about garlic for yeast infections, it would put Monostat and OBs out of business.

:

This always works for me.

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#9 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 04:36 PM

Plain yogurt (no sugar, no flavor) with priobiotics applied locally.

Yes, you can eat but you'd have to eat a heck of a lot for it to work. I prefer to apply it as I would monistat 7. Works every time.
#10 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 05:44 PM

OP, I have a yeast infection right now (and am pregnant) and am finding that the plain yogurt really works. I've read a ton about the raw garlic, too, so if the yogurt doesn't work within a certain amount of time I will try that!
#11 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 10:28 PM

Garlic cloves vaginally is the only thing that works for me. Sometimes I use a needle to thread a piece of string through it to make it easy to remove, but other times I'm too lazy to and it usually comes out on its own sometime the next day. Usually it works super fast in like 2 days, but I just got over a very stubborn yeast infection that took 9 days of garlic to get rid of!

I have to try the coconut oil externally too since I still get itchy on the outside.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
#12 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Diluted grape fruit seed extract. You can douche with it and put some on a cotton ball and swab the outside area if you're itchy. Works beautifully and doesn't have any stinging or anything like garlic can if you have any "raw" areas.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#13 of 15 Old 05-05-2009, 12:44 PM

Sure, eating yogurt alone won't cure an infection, but it can help in preventing another by keeping the area "colonized" with the good bacteria and keeping the other kinds of flora in check.

I found a probiotic supplement at the store yesterday called Femdophilus, made by Jarrow. It claims to have specific strains for the urinary tract and vagina and the Dr.s who patented it have done studies where the good bacteria in those areas were raised substantially in a week with women who took the supplement.

I bought the capsules and have started taking them, in addition to the garlic placed in the vagina. Some mentioned how putting plain yogurt right in the vagina can help cure a yeast infection--this kind of probiotic reaches the same place, but you can take it internally, meaning less mess. Hoping it's easier and effective. For itchiness externally, try the monistat (miconozole) or lotrimin cream at your local pharmacy if the coconut oil is not quite cutting it. It's quite safe to use externally while pregnant.

My midwifery book mentioned that due to the higher progesterone levels, the alkalinity of the vagina is raised, making infections more likely. (Nice to know it's not always b/c of diet, right?!) Taking a regular probiotic (or eating yogurt) as well as drinking unsweetened cranberry juice (which can "acidify" the vagina and UT making it a place that is more difficult for the bad germs to grow) can help to prevent recurring infections.

HTH

mdcblog5.gif

#14 of 15 Old 05-08-2009, 06:42 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#15 of 15 Old 05-08-2009, 10:14 PM

Sadly nothing natural worked for me and I ended up with medication. Has anyone else had bad luck with natural remedies? My doctor advises me to do natural things first, but after a good week with symptoms getting worse I decided to go the conventional medicine route.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page