Do you believe that homeopathy works? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you believe that homeopthay is effective beyond the placebo effect?
Yes 59 50.00%
No 40 33.90%
I don't know 19 16.10%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 05-02-2009, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot mama View Post
About homeopathy:

It won't work if it isn't the right remedy. It isn't as simple as "I have a headache, so I'm going to take "x" remedy", or "My baby is teething, so I will give "y" remedy". Sometimes you can luck out and get the right remedy that way, but most of the time, you have to look at each case individually.
But this is how 99% of people who claim homeopathy works miracles use it. I think most of the time, it's "I have ailment X" and you go to the natural foods store and look at the little Boiron blue capsules or whatever and you go... "hmmm let's see... facial acne... farting-excessive... ah here it is! fever-high" and you go to check out. I mean, most of us are not spending hours with licensed, experienced homeopathic doctors in order to make our selections. Sure some are, but I'd bet dollars to donuts most are NOT. And yet it still works miracles...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 05-02-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
i find it interesting that a lot of people say they don't believe it works because it didn't work for them or someone they know. but you'd never hear someone say, for instance, "i don't believe in chemotherapy because it didn't get rid of my cancer, i think it's just snake oil."
I think this is being fairly disrespectful of our data-gathering and decision-making processes. I don't know about you, but I'm a Pub Med junkie, and can read journal article after journal article from randomized clinical trials to come to my own conclusions. It's not just about whether or not it's worked for ME. Then there's the inability to explain - scientifically - how it works. When you give someone some water that used to have a substance in it but none of that substance remains, you're giving someone... water. And I don't think it's a stretch to say that when you bottle up that water and sell it for $20 with a fancy label on it, it's snake oil.
#33 of 45 Old 05-02-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
But this is how 99% of people who claim homeopathy works miracles use it. I think most of the time, it's "I have ailment X" and you go to the natural foods store and look at the little Boiron blue capsules or whatever and you go... "hmmm let's see... facial acne... farting-excessive... ah here it is! fever-high" and you go to check out. I mean, most of us are not spending hours with licensed, experienced homeopathic doctors in order to make our selections. Sure some are, but I'd bet dollars to donuts most are NOT. And yet it still works miracles...
I know what you're saying here, but it really is meant to be used with an experienced practitioner, especially when working on chronic conditions. It takes years of study and practice to be able to prescribe remedies correctly.

ETA: The way that the studies are set up only works for macro doses of medicine, they don't work to "prove" homeopathy because this system of medicine is so vastly different from allopathy (western medicine) and herbs.
#34 of 45 Old 05-02-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I think this is being fairly disrespectful of our data-gathering and decision-making processes. I don't know about you, but I'm a Pub Med junkie, and can read journal article after journal article from randomized clinical trials to come to my own conclusions. It's not just about whether or not it's worked for ME. Then there's the inability to explain - scientifically - how it works. When you give someone some water that used to have a substance in it but none of that substance remains, you're giving someone... water. And I don't think it's a stretch to say that when you bottle up that water and sell it for $20 with a fancy label on it, it's snake oil.
Exactly/

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#35 of 45 Old 05-02-2009, 09:39 PM

I have a hard time picking the right remedy for myself so the only time I have gotten it to work for myself was with poison ivy and when I smashed my finger in a door. It was very easy to see it work in these situations.

I have had it work for my children and once for my husband. The sicker someone is, the better it seems to work. Specifically if you are dealing with a mental/emotional symptom to work with, it makes it easier to pick a remedy. I do not use it for things like colds and coughs because it is really hard to nail down a remedy in these situations. But for a flu with a high fever where someone wakes up with hallucinations, Belladonna works great for.

I agree with the idea that you have to have the correct remedy or nothing will happen. It takes a certain amount of knowledge to be able to come up with the correct remedy though, which does not make it user friendly. Also there are different ways to prescribe homeopathic remedies and I believe dosing in water is the best way.
#36 of 45 Old 05-02-2009, 09:51 PM

Homeopathy was the only thing that got rid of my nasty post-birth hemmorhoids. And quickly, I might add. DH has also used homeopathy to help him get rid of sinus infections. I certainly believe that it works.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#37 of 45 Old 05-02-2009, 10:48 PM

Well when there are double blind studies showing it works. It's hard to say that it absolutely doesn't work. http://ecam.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/c.../full/nem143v1

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#38 of 45 Old 05-02-2009, 11:43 PM

i voted yes, even though i think it sounds like utter hooey. we used homeopathy very successfully several times. i think not every remedy works for everyone all the time, though.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#39 of 45 Old 05-03-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot mama View Post
I know what you're saying here, but it really is meant to be used with an experienced practitioner, especially when working on chronic conditions. It takes years of study and practice to be able to prescribe remedies correctly.
seriously? this is why i said no. while i understand specialized knowledge takes time and effort to acquire homeopathy has a little too much of that, "well, you couldn't possibly understand why or how this would work... so trust me, i know exactly what you need."

i like to think/research for myself and homeopathy just doesn't offer that option. not that people that use homeopathy aren't thinking for themselves..i'm not sure how to say it.

for example, i go to the doctor, she says i have to do X, i go home, think about it, does it make sense to me and what i know of biology, does it feel right? what do the studies say?

i can't do that with homeopathy because it's just "too complex".

eh. who needs a signature?
#40 of 45 Old 05-03-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
seriously? this is why i said no. while i understand specialized knowledge takes time and effort to acquire homeopathy has a little too much of that, "well, you couldn't possibly understand why or how this would work... so trust me, i know exactly what you need."

i like to think/research for myself and homeopathy just doesn't offer that option. not that people that use homeopathy aren't thinking for themselves..i'm not sure how to say it.

for example, i go to the doctor, she says i have to do X, i go home, think about it, does it make sense to me and what i know of biology, does it feel right? what do the studies say?

i can't do that with homeopathy because it's just "too complex".
No, no, you absolutely should research for yourself. You can treat yourself in acute situations, and the good thing about that is if you choose the wrong remedy, no harm done, as long as you don't take it too much.

It's in chronic cases that you really must use a homeopath. Even homeopaths can't treat themselves that way-- it's impossible to be objective. I believe it's the same way in the western medical profession. My sister is a doctor and she says she can't treat herself because she feels the same way.

Homeopathy really is very complex, but there is nothing to prevent anyone from learning about it. There are many books available that give you basic information, and many more to move on to from there.

Actually, when you say "you couldn't possibly understand", I am reminded of countless (non-homeopathic) doctors who have said that very thing to me. Any homeopath worth their salt will take time to explain to their clients what is going on and why.
#41 of 45 Old 05-03-2009, 10:50 AM

I've been thinking about this, and I wanted to add:

Why do you go to the allopathic doctor? Because you are looking for years of education and experience, right? Would you expect miraculous results if you, as a person who had no professional training or experience, diagnosed yourself with something and went ahead and prescribed a prescription medication? Or would you think that although the chance you could stumble upon the correct one is there, it is relatively unlikely, and even then, would you know what else to do and look for without guidance? Wouldn't you want someone to help you figure out which way to proceed?

So if you follow western medicine, you can go out and buy yourself something for a headache, or nausea, or whatever. But what if it doesn't work? What if the tylenol isn't enough? Certainly sometimes it is, but sometimes it isn't. Maybe you would know what to do after that if you had studied for yourself for a while, but would you really expect to know if you had no idea about that particular system of medicine? Would you be able to call a pharmacy and order just what you needed and get it right?

It sounds as though (Playamama) you must go to a western medical doctor based on your last post, which is why I posed the question this way.
#42 of 45 Old 05-03-2009, 11:26 AM

Can we explore this question for a sec... it's all well and good when we're talking about babies teething, earaches, fatigue, runny noses, cramps, and such. Even kidney stones, gallstones, influenza, arthritis, gout, ulcers, migraines, anxiety, depression. These things are all self-limiting - meaning, they go away on their own anyway and/or have a cyclical nature that means they come and go, often with little rhyme or reason. So it doesn't surprise me at all that homepathic treatments are both geared toward these types of ailments AND the types of ailments people report success at treating homepathically.

What about cancer? Diabetes? Heart disease? AIDS? If your child has a retropharyngeal abscess caused by the MRSA bacteria, would you treat THAT homeopathically too?

When something is supposed to work, it's supposed to work. Now there should theoretically be some way to make a homeopathic concoction that could treat such a problem. But no one ever would. Or they might sneak the homeopathic powders into the hospital and give them to their child while their child was on an IV drip of one antibiotic cocktail or another and scheduled for surgery, a safety net or hail Mary of sorts, but hardly something you'd put much faith in.
#43 of 45 Old 05-03-2009, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Erin* View Post
i voted yes, even though i think it sounds like utter hooey. we used homeopathy very successfully several times. i think not every remedy works for everyone all the time, though.
This.

I always thought homeopathy was hooey. But have used it OTC for a couple of things now and have to admit I seem to be wrong.

I don't think the placebo effect was in operation because I was muttering about what a stupid idea the whole thing was as I gave the teething remedy to my toddler....but wow! Had to eat my words! Worked where tempera didn't to ease the pain for my youngest, who had the worst time teething of all my kids.
#44 of 45 Old 05-03-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:

What about cancer? Diabetes? Heart disease? AIDS? If your child has a retropharyngeal abscess caused by the MRSA bacteria, would you treat THAT homeopathically too?

th in.
Yes, yes, and yes.

My husband contracted MRSA after being bitten by a patient where he worked years ago. It was cultured and came back positive. Within a week of appropriate homeopathic treatment, it was GONE. It has never returned.

This is just one example. There are many similar.

Homeopathy is very deep, very effective.

ETA: Obviously, I am not saying everyone should avoid allopathic treatment in these cases. We all have to do what we are comfortable with.
#45 of 45 Old 05-03-2009, 03:17 PM

I use homeopathy sometimes, not all the time. To be honest, I always forget about it and just end up using something in my cupboard. Then when I remember that the last time I took "x" remedy, I feel stupid, go back to the hfs and get the homeopathic med and it makes all the difference in the world. Teething tablets and Oscillo have worked wonders in my household. So has one that is for fears and nightmares. DS had horrible night terrors. Nothing would help, so I got this one (can't remember the name), but after a few times using it, his night terrors started to go away. Now, if he seems to be having a few in a row, I give him this and they don't come back for a long while. Unless you've seen your DC have a real night terror, night after night, for months at a time, you don't know what a relief it is when they don't have them. And yes, we did everything you're supposed to do for NT's, including having a regular schedule, go to bed at the same time every night, wake up at the same time in the morning, try to make life non-stressful, eating right, cutting out the bad stuff, etc. It all had some effect, but not enough to take them away. Until I started giving him this stuff. So, yeah, I'm a believer.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page