Do you believe that homeopathy works? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Do you believe that homeopthay is effective beyond the placebo effect?
Yes 59 50.00%
No 40 33.90%
I don't know 19 16.10%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you think, and why?

ETA: Can someone tell me how to edit typos in a poll?

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#2 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I wasnt sure at first. I must admit when my DD passed out sleeping after taking teething tablets I was quite impressed. In the back of my mind i was thinking its a coincidence. I was a chemist before becoming a SAHM so i was skeptical. Then there was a lot of coincidences and she is a baby so i mean how can this be a placebo effect? Then when my wisdom teeth were bugging me I jokingly took some teething tablets. Wouldnt you know it, the irritation in my teeth/gums stopped. I totally believe they work. I also think that there is something to the enery imprint in the water theory and giving your body a clue as to what its fighting. Just because you cant prove how it works doesnt mean its doesnt work. Like my husband says, you cant argue with results.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#3 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 02:26 PM

When appropriately prescribed, homeopathy works absolute miracles.

I have been witness to hundreds of cured cases, both for acute problems and chronic conditions, including things western medicine has no treatment for.
#4 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 02:49 PM

I believe it does. DD has been seeing a homeopath for over a year. Lots of acute issues have gotten better with remedies. Of course I would always wonder, was it a coincidence, is she just naturally improving, etc. But there are two specific instances there is no question that the homeopathic remedy worked. One was when she had a fever and it climbed to almost 104 in the evening. She had become extremely cranky, flushed, wouldn't eat, really miserable. After calling the homeopath and giving the right remedy a certain way (we tried another remedy prior with no results), an hour later her temp was down to 100 and she was acting normal and eating. The other time was just last month when she woke up in the middle of the night with bad croup, really gasping for air. She tends to get croup due to allergies 2 or 3 times a year. After the remedy she was breathing normally within 45 minutes and didn't make a sound the rest of the night. There have been other instances where I'm pretty sure the remedy worked but I can't prove it. Now constitutionally, we have yet to see results for her chronic conditions.
#5 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 03:21 PM

I'm not a believer, no. Of course, I can't argue with other people's experiences. But I'm a hard nut to crack; I don't believe in much that I can't see, touch, and reason through. Homeopathy doesn't make sense to me.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#6 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 04:12 PM

Nope. Modern day snake oil.
#7 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 04:16 PM

Nope, for three reasons - a) it never worked for me, b) it just doesn't make sense to me and c) none of the arguments have been able to convince, that it works above the placebo effect.

However, I am a firm believer, that modern medicine needs to understand and implement the placebo effect much better, than it has done so far.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#8 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 05:02 PM

Woohoo, my first post!

I was very skeptical about homeopathics when I first heard about them. I now find that a few of the remedies have worked for me, and some have not. We LOVE the teething tablets, and could not have made it through teething without them. They really seemed to help. The other big one for me is the blader irritation remedy. I deal with chronic bladder infections, and was so tired of going on antibiotics, and occassionally having to switch when one stopped working. I tried the homeopathic bladder irritation remedy out of desperation, and was shocked when the pain stopped within an hour. After two infections in a row that antibiotics failed to help, I used the bladder irritation along with cranberry tablets, and was better in just a few days. I have also found that a little arnica cream seems to work wonders on my DS's many bumps and bruises, and ones we treat heal much quicker than ones we don't (also useful to reduce swelling when he will not tolerate an ice pack). So while I remain skeptical, I have found a couple that really do seem to work, and am open to at least trying them.

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
#9 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 05:09 PM

I don't know for sure, but I am leaning, No.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#10 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 05:10 PM

It has never worked for me.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#11 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 05:29 PM

Yes, it has worked for everyone in my family including my dog.

If homeopathy doesn't work....its the wrong remedy. You know you have the right remedy when it works pretty quickly.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#12 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
I'm not a believer, no. Of course, I can't argue with other people's experiences. But I'm a hard nut to crack; I don't believe in much that I can't see, touch, and reason through. Homeopathy doesn't make sense to me.
Same here. Took some stuff to make the midwife happy. No results except to boost her confidence, lol.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#13 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot mama View Post
When appropriately prescribed, homeopathy works absolute miracles.
:
That's my opinion, anyway.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#14 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 09:31 PM

I completely believe in it. I always turn to homeopathy first and it always works. For me, saying "do you believe in homeopathy" is like asking a more mainstream person "do you believe in medicinal drugs". Absolutely and without doubt. Of course I still research to see any possible side effects like I do with any herb or homeopathic.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#15 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
Same here. I did try teething tablets when I was beyond desperate with my twins, and they didn't do a darn thing. I would've been thrilled to be proven wrong at that point and would've become a true believer had they helped!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#16 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9sarchik View Post
Yes, it has worked for everyone in my family including my dog.

If homeopathy doesn't work....its the wrong remedy. You know you have the right remedy when it works pretty quickly.
Ditto!
#17 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 10:24 PM

About homeopathy:

It won't work if it isn't the right remedy. It isn't as simple as "I have a headache, so I'm going to take "x" remedy", or "My baby is teething, so I will give "y" remedy". Sometimes you can luck out and get the right remedy that way, but most of the time, you have to look at each case individually. The symptoms that are unique to you are the ones that will point to the remedy, and there are thousands to choose from.

Homeopathy works 100% of the time, when correctly prescribed. Sometimes the wrong remedy or wrong potency is chosen, but if you have a good homeopath, that shouldn't happen very often. And they should be willing to look at that and correct it if possible.

I truly do not know how people raise children without homeopathy. (That one is my own personal opinion )
#18 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 PM

i know it works, it has worked for me and for members of my family. my old pedi (only our old pedi because we had to move, she was amazing) was also schooled in homeopathy. she was an excellent medical doctor and prescribed homeopathy when it was indicated rather than whipping out the prescription pad for every stupid little thing.

the thing you have to remember about it, especially the combinations that are popular like the teething tablets and a lot of hyland's combinations, is that using a combination remedy is sort of like taking Nytol for a headache. it might work on your headache, but there's so much other stuff and not enough of what would attack your headache,so it might not really work at all. and for a headache and you want an OTC remedy just take a tylenol or whatever. it's the same with the homepathic multi remedies. you're throwing a half-dozen different remedies at a symptom to see if any of them help, when it would be better to identify the symptom and treat it directly without the other remedies interfering. alot of people don't have success with combination formulas. that doesn't mean homeopathy doesn't work, it means people don't know how to use it.

ETA - as for not believing what you can't 'see' or directly account for... sometimes things just work. whether you believe, for example, that acupuncture works because it clears energy channels in the body, western studies have now conclusively shown that acupuncture works for a lot of ailments. 20 years ago acupuncture was your 'snake oil'. the same is true of yoga. whether you believe the yogic reasons behind why it works, there is no escaping the reality that it makes people feel better and that it improves health and well-being. just because the explanation of how something works doesn't jive with how you think doesn't mean the explanation is bogus or that it isn't real.
#19 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 10:27 PM

Where's the sometimes option?

The truth is it doesn't always work, neither does standard medical care.

I use both, preferring a natural option first.
#20 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9sarchik View Post
I don't know - I was seeing a homeopath for years when I was a teenager, other people loved her, it never did me any good. Animals and babies can be influenced by placebo as well.

#21 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belltree View Post
I don't know - I was seeing a homeopath for years when I was a teenager, other people loved her, it never did me any good. Animals and babies can be influenced by placebo as well.
Try a different homeopath (if you are ever interested again, that is). Not everyone resonates with everyone else. Many homeopaths do very well with lots of people, but run across others once in a while that they just can't figure out.
#22 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 10:52 PM

No, I don't think homeopathy works. It has never worked for me or for dd. I have an open mind and have tried numerous times and it never works. And the basis of homeopathy makes no sense at all to me. I have had success with herbs and vitamins/minerals though. I always reach for natural treatments first.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#23 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 11:00 PM

Absolutely! When nothing would cure my thrush, Coconut oil did. When it seems nothing will calm DD from teething, chamomile does! I haven't used a topical antibiotic salve in months in this house and we've all had better results on our cuts, scrapes, burns, and bruises from homeopathic products than we ever have before!!!

I am totally sold.

Val, Mama to Aidan (5 years) and Autumn (almost 2)
#24 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrock View Post
Absolutely! When nothing would cure my thrush, Coconut oil did. When it seems nothing will calm DD from teething, chamomile does! I haven't used a topical antibiotic salve in months in this house and we've all had better results on our cuts, scrapes, burns, and bruises from homeopathic products than we ever have before!!!

I am totally sold.
Wait, since when is coconut oil and chamomile homeopathic? To me that is herbal and food based healing not homeopathic.

#25 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimara View Post
Wait, since when is coconut oil and chamomile homeopathic? To me that is herbal and food based healing not homeopathic.
LOL maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about . Disregard me.

Val, Mama to Aidan (5 years) and Autumn (almost 2)
#26 of 45 Old 05-01-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrock View Post
LOL maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about . Disregard me.

This is a common issue in homeopathy. Many people don't know what it is and think that herbal or other natural remedies are homeopathic.

Glad you found something that helped though!
#27 of 45 Old 05-02-2009, 08:21 AM

i find it interesting that a lot of people say they don't believe it works because it didn't work for them or someone they know. but you'd never hear someone say, for instance, "i don't believe in chemotherapy because it didn't get rid of my cancer, i think it's just snake oil." there's almost no treatment, allopathic, homeopathic, herbal or otherwise that is going to work for every person in the same way. we're all biochemically different. some people with allergies respond to claritin, others to zyrtec, others to benadryl, others don't respond to any of them. it doesn't mean they aren't all effective statistically at treating allergy symptoms, and no one completely understands why people respond so differently to the same treatment.

also wanted to add a couple of experiences we've had combining allopathic and homeopathic treatments,i mentioned in my earlier post that my old pedi prescribed homeopathic treatments a lot. a good friend of mine had breast reduction surgery a couple of years ago and her plastic surgeon prescribed homeopathic arnica before and after surgery to prevent bruising and swelling and promote healing. and after looking online at all the pictures of the bruising and such that people experience after breast reduction, she was astonished at how very little bruising she had. clearly there are learned medical professionals out there who are using homeopathic treatments with great results in their allopathic practices. people who clearly are in a scientific "show me proof" frame of mind, and who have seen that proof repeatedly in their medical practices.

as i said before, just because you don't understand how something works (or refuse to believe the explanation of how it works) doesn't mean it's bunk.
#28 of 45 Old 05-02-2009, 09:35 AM

I know it works.

When DS was younger he got a bad cold - it turned into a chest infection. He-would-not take-anything. As I try and live consensually, I am not one to force. Holding him down screaming and kicking to pour some liquid 'medcine' down his throat when I had not tried everything was not going to be my plan of action. I had not try a homeopathic remedy. So why not? I bought it. He took it! (he happily takes them now and says yummy! hehe) The next day I saw immediate results. His chest infection and cold were gone in just a few days!

Mind over matter results might work for me - but he was a baby (this was way before he was a year old!) - he did not know what I was giving him or why. I saw the results - and that is not all in my mind! So I am hooked now. It is mostly all we use. I won't hesitate to use a pain killer though along side a h. remedy if we are in pain. I know I like to take a little bit of something myself when I am ill to help me sleep at night. But that only helps us to feel better - it doesn't cure us.

I also wanted to add that I have a friend sold too. My DS often gets conjuctivities with a cold - One day she said her DD was ill and was going to take her to the GPs as she was now getting sticky eyes. I said 'Wait - try this' - and it cleared in a day! She is rather impressed. I have tried my BM for is and used OTC medicines for it - but nothing has worked as fast as my homeopathic remedies!

I also often get sinus infections (since having my tonsils removed when I was about 11 years of age). I am used to them and can see them coming from a mile away by the slightest of symptoms. I now use a homeopathic remedy when I notice one is brewing and can head them off before they get started. I have not had a sinus infection in nearly a year (and I normaly get them every two months!)

Homeopathic remedies get very specific - if its not working, I find that is because its not the right one for me. I have a good friend though who is studying homeopathic remedies and she is very helpful with me in finding a treatment when needed!

My husband is still a skeptic of course - but if he can't shake something after I week I usually say 'of for goodness sake, just take this all ready!' - and after him mumbling that its rubbish he takes it and the next day, whatever has been causing him to be 'ill' for the past week or so, is usually all cleared up. It is certainly not a placebo for him - he doesn't believe it works...but it alway somehow strangly does lol

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#29 of 45 Old 05-02-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot mama View Post
Try a different homeopath (if you are ever interested again, that is). Not everyone resonates with everyone else. Many homeopaths do very well with lots of people, but run across others once in a while that they just can't figure out.
No, thank you. I have a natural (herbal), holistic doctor now, who started out with classical medicine. I understand these concepts, they make sense to me, they work for me, and my husband.

#30 of 45 Old 05-02-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
i find it interesting that a lot of people say they don't believe it works because it didn't work for them or someone they know. but you'd never hear someone say, for instance, "i don't believe in chemotherapy because it didn't get rid of my cancer, i think it's just snake oil." there's almost no treatment, allopathic, homeopathic, herbal or otherwise that is going to work for every person in the same way. we're all biochemically different. some people with allergies respond to claritin, others to zyrtec, others to benadryl, others don't respond to any of them. it doesn't mean they aren't all effective statistically at treating allergy symptoms, and no one completely understands why people respond so differently to the same treatment.

also wanted to add a couple of experiences we've had combining allopathic and homeopathic treatments,i mentioned in my earlier post that my old pedi prescribed homeopathic treatments a lot. a good friend of mine had breast reduction surgery a couple of years ago and her plastic surgeon prescribed homeopathic arnica before and after surgery to prevent bruising and swelling and promote healing. and after looking online at all the pictures of the bruising and such that people experience after breast reduction, she was astonished at how very little bruising she had. clearly there are learned medical professionals out there who are using homeopathic treatments with great results in their allopathic practices. people who clearly are in a scientific "show me proof" frame of mind, and who have seen that proof repeatedly in their medical practices.

as i said before, just because you don't understand how something works (or refuse to believe the explanation of how it works) doesn't mean it's bunk.
Hey- this was a poll and we have the right to answer it and state why.

Arnica is plant that has been used for ages in the treatment of bruises among other things but as far as I understand, homeopathy products are extracts (from plant, animal, mineral) and are heavily diluted. So much so that there is not likely to be any original extract in it. So, the water remembers what was in it? Is that the basis of homeopathy?
From most of the studies I've seen, like another pp said, most of the effects seem to be coming from the placebo effect, which is testament to the mind/body connection but I don't think there is any real science behind homeopathy. But if you think it works, that's all that matters

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page