2 year old with fever.....what natural thing to give her? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-02-2009, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new to the herbal/natural treatment stuff. My 2 year old came down with a 103 fever yesterday. We're leaving for vacation on Monday and her doctor is now closed. So I would have to take her to urgent care and sit in a germ infested waiting room.

My cousin suggested Phytocillin. Would this be effective for a 2 year old with a fever? I dont know if she has a virus, strep, ear infection, or what. I'll probably take her to see her regular doctor on Monday morning before we leave on our trip. But would you use Phytocillin for your two year old with a fever? Or is there something else you would use? Or just wait to see her pediatrician?

Kinda crunchy mama to my 3 DD's (ages 7, 4, and 6 weeks)

#2 of 7 Old 05-02-2009, 07:57 PM

103 temp you should take her to the hospital. I'm surprised her doctor does not have an emergency number to call. My natural/alternative medicine book about children says "Children with temperatures above 102F, which may lead to febrile seizures, need medical intervention."

My sister-in-law's little girl had a high fever, and fearing the same issue as you "taking her in to a germ laden emergency room' sat out in their car until the emergency room nurse phoned her to bring the child right in. Maybe you could do the same if you have a cell phone.
#3 of 7 Old 05-03-2009, 12:09 AM

At 103 I would leave it be. 103 would NOT even when I did use mainstream medicine even set off my hospital radar.

My personal comfort zone is 104/105 during the day and 103 at night. When it hits that I give motrin to bring the fever down. Some people's comfort zone before giving motrin 103.

The fever is part of your babes immune system. It means it is fighting an infection. If you lower the fever, you lower the bodies ability to fight the infection. You need to make sure your babe is hydrated at all times. If she is still nursing, nurse, nurse, nurse. It's the best thing for her. If she is no longer nursing, offer things like vitamin water or emergenC. My daughter doens't like to drink so I put it in a cup with ounces on the side. I tell her she has to drink at least one ounce and set a timer for 20 minutes and have her drink each time the timer goes off.

I have never heard of whatever that medicine your talking about is. Good luck.
#4 of 7 Old 05-03-2009, 08:51 AM

What happened? Must be over now?

My daughter had a 103.3 fever when she was 2.5 years but Dr. Mendelsohn's book How to Raise a Healthy Child said fevers were good etc. etc. There were no other symptoms and she wasn't in pain so we knew it wasn't an infection of any kind just some virus to take it's course.

I called the ped. office she said I could give her Tylenol and I said, but I thought fevers were good (you make white blood cells and body fights it off, that's how it works) doc. says yes this is true, but if it get's up to 104 I think you should think about giving Tylenol and if she still has it by certain day bring her in so we can run tests for UTI just to be sure.

Well just like Dr. Mendelsohn's book said, three days and that was it, it never got higher than that first day and was gone on the third day. We believe it was Roseola. We just kept her hydrated and rested through those days.
#5 of 7 Old 05-04-2009, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses!! I did not end up giving the natural Phytocillin....I just wasnt comfortable with it. My DD has continued to run a fever throughout the weekend. I had an appointment with her ped at 10 AM this morning. Turns out, she has a bad ear infection. Plus, the doctor said she *could* have Roseola, but we wouldnt know unless a rash broke out in a day or so.

luv2bamommy2 - the doctor does have an after hours number, but we spoke on the phone to her before the office closed. Her doc says the degree of the fever is not really important, it is how the child is acting. If she has 103 degree fever and acts fine, then just care for her at home. But her fever could be 101 and she could be lethargic....then we need to bring her in.

aniT - I agree. I do not medicate for a fever during the daytime unless my children are acting like they feel really badly. I do usually end up medicating the fever at night, only because I do not want it to spike at night without my knowledge.

Kinda crunchy mama to my 3 DD's (ages 7, 4, and 6 weeks)

#6 of 7 Old 05-04-2009, 01:36 PM

We do popsicles in a lukewarm bath. My DS does not like lukewarm baths though, so I make it normal temp and then add (sneak in) cold water to cool it off.
#7 of 7 Old 05-04-2009, 01:47 PM

When I had wee ones that age, along with nursing I would offer catnip tea. It is antiviral and soothes a feverish babe. Also very relaxing and safe for kids. We grow lots of it in the garden and my older girls will now go out and pick some to brew if the are feeling off.

fp

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page