How do I get a thorn out of my leg?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-05-2009, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a thorn in my leg Sunday after a walk through a field with capris on : It is embedded in a scratch. I tried puling it out with tweezers and a needle, but it just broke off under the skin and there it remains. I rinsed it with alcohol and witch hazel (cause I didn't have anything else) and let it be, but now it is getting red and puffy and it HURTS! I've had a hot compress on it today to see if that would loosen it up, no luck. Does anyone have a suggestion? Are there any herbal compresses that might help draw it out?

Thanks
#2 of 6 Old 05-05-2009, 02:28 PM

I have had good success using plantain ( broad leaf plant, usually found in lawns) to get out splinters. You need to chew up the plantain leaf and then apply it to the area. If the thorn is really deep this probably won't work.
#3 of 6 Old 05-05-2009, 02:38 PM

You could use Hyland's PRID, it is a drawing salve

Not all those who wander are lost 
#4 of 6 Old 05-05-2009, 03:45 PM

If you cannot soak it soft and out in a warm/hot bath, nor using a sterilized needle pry it out, then I would probably go have a doc get it out. But I am someone who will also sterilize a needle and do minor surgery on myself... as in peel away the skin to open up the entry area to pull it out. If you don't feel safe doing that, get a doc to get it out. I would not leave it in for too long. Your body will likely encase it in puss and that will help get push it out, but you don't want to risk an infection leaving it there.
#5 of 6 Old 05-05-2009, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! I'll see if I can find the PRID. Unfortunately I can't see it very well to dig it out, but if the salve doesn't work I'll try operating again before I go to the doc
#6 of 6 Old 05-05-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonsMama View Post
Thanks for the advice! I'll see if I can find the PRID. Unfortunately I can't see it very well to dig it out, but if the salve doesn't work I'll try operating again before I go to the doc
If you want to try "operating" again, they have topical anesthetic sprays that might help you be able to dig a bit deeper.

Kim sewmachine.gif mama to DS autismribbon.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif12/2005, Pepper kitty cat.gif, and angel1.gif 10/03, angel1.gif 1/05; homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page