Fontanelle paranoia??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-06-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas,

Please tell me I'm not the only new mom freaked out a little by the anterior fontanelle?

DD is almost 4 weeks old and I never really paid much attention to it until yesterday. DH was "styling" her hair and noticed that her fontanelle was pretty indented, which totally freaked him out, which in turn made me question it a little. She was sitting upright against his legs, and when we changed her position it filled in and went back to normal. From what I could find on the internet, this is normal. She is not sick and shows no signs of dehydration, eats like a champ (EBF), has plenty of wet/good quality soiled diapers daily and is gaining weight steadily (where did my tiny boo go so fast?). Of course, it does rattle my breastfeeding confidence and makes me wonder if she is slighly dehydrated. But had DH not noticed it, I would never have questioned anything. She seems totally happy and thriving.

Her 1 month check-up is next Monday so I will ask the ped then - just looking for other moms experiences.

Thanks!

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

#2 of 4 Old 05-06-2009, 02:12 PM

Yes, the indenting when upright is totally normal -- as is pulsing and bulging out when screaming! If she's eating well, acting lively and peeing, don't even think about dehydration.
#3 of 4 Old 05-06-2009, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter's was often visible and sorta indented, and my son's never was, so I'd consider it a feature of what her body normally looks like, and you can use that as comparison to what's normal for her as time goes on.
#4 of 4 Old 05-06-2009, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies - makes me feel better

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page