Not growing enough ... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-18-2002, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

my baby is 9-mth old and he weighs only 18lbs. It's 10% and also 10% on height and head-circum. He was used to be (weight-height-h.c.) 25%-75%-75%, 50%-75%-50%, and 25%-50%-50% at birth, 3-mth, and 6-mth. I don't expect him to grow over 50% line or anything but at least I hope he stays where he is now. I am afraid if he is not growing well because of some other reasons and will be afraid to check all those numbers at the one-year checkup. I was breastfeeding 100% until he was about 8-mth-old but now about 60% because of declining supply (I'm working full-time and expressing milk). He also has severe constipation. Other than that he is very healthy and does everything any 9-mth-old should do. My family and I are on the 'big' side and my husband's are on the 'mid' side, both weight and height. Should I be concerned? I heard that after 9-mth, a baby gradually shows his genetics. Does he still have a chance to grow over that THICK 10%, 20%, or even 50% line?

Thanks,
Timmy's mom.
#2 of 3 Old 04-18-2002, 11:22 PM

My 16 mo. old dd weighs exactly 21 pounds. She was always a 50% baby all the way around until she started crawling. She's a very active kid and also a very picky eater. When I took her to the ped last week I thought they would bring up her weight and ask questions but they didn't even bat an eye when they weighed her. She's still growing lengthwise and she's on track with her milestones so I'm not really worried anymore. I think by this age genetics starts to play a role and so does their activity and eating habits.

I think at Abi's 1 year checkup she was 18 lbs. 7 oz. and they did ask if she was a picky eater but that's all. They said she looked healthy, suggested I add more high calorie foods to her diet, and then dropped the subject. I add instant breakfast or ovaltine to her bottles for a calorie and nutrition boost because she is such a light eater of solids but other than that I just accept that she's probably going to be tall (like dh) and thin (like me) and very active.

I heard recently that between 17-24 pounds is the low side of normal for 12 month olds. I hope that makes you feel a little better. :-)

Darshani
and Abirami 12/00

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 3 Old 04-19-2002, 02:14 AM

At 11 months my babe is about 18.5 lbs. He lost .5lb when he was sick, but then gained it back. He started gaining more slowly when he started crawling. I haven't really paid attention to the growth charts, though, but I know he started out in the 50th percentile originally.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page