newborn exposure to shingles... advice please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-11-2009, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this post doesn't belong in this forum but I can't think of a better place to put it for the amount of knowledge I am seeking.
My 3 week old DD had her first real outing with us yesterday at a quiet, calm, and basically empty local restaurant. Someone from our church happened to be there and wanted to see DD. I had no clue at the time that she broke out with shingles about a month ago. She held DD for a brief period and kissed her on the cheek. After she gave her back to my mom she came to our side of the table and proceeded to tell my grandmother that she was "feeling better but still healing". That's when I hear her mention shingles. I was visibly upset and I believe she noticed. The lady called me that evening and stated that she is no longer contagious as her sores healed up 2 weeks ago and she just has some red spots left but she is still sore.
Meanwhile, my post partum hormones are making me a wreck and I am certain my child is going to die.
I know DD2 is protected through my breast milk but I started to worry last night that I didn't have as many good "newborn antibodies" since I only weaned DD1 6 months ago. (I know... I'm being irrational).
The nurse at my pediatrician's office seemed to brush my concernes off but I still feel worried.
At what point is shingles not contagious? Even if she no longer had open blisters, is her red rash contagious? If DD were to get pox how dangerous would it be?

My bff's toddler just came down with pox from his uncle with shingles which, I think, is making this more concerning to me. Any advice would be so appreciated. I'm still worried sick...

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#2 of 9 Old 05-11-2009, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sorry you are so upset. .

I think the chace of your DD getting CP from this is very slim.

Shingles is a contagious disease during the phase when patient develops blisters till the formation of crusts/scabs. If her sores healed 2 weeks ago, than there is really nothing to fear.

Maybe this will ease your fears
http://shingles101.org/2008/03/16/ar...es-contagious/

Quote:
The child must come into direct contact with the open sores of the shingles rash.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 9 Old 05-11-2009, 05:01 PM

Dd2 was exposed to shingles at 2 weeks and was totally fine. We told our ped the next day and said that we really shouldn't worry, it's almost impossible to contract CP from shingles and the BM really helped too.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#4 of 9 Old 05-11-2009, 05:14 PM

I had my first attack of the shingles when my DS was tiny (and nursing) and I was told to cover the affected area only until the sores dried up. It sounds like that lady was past that stage, even if she still had red spots.

Just keep an eye on your LO, and if you aren't satisfied with the nurse's answer, make an appointment (by phone or in person) to talk to the pediatrician directly.
to you. I know how scary it is to worry that they are going to catch it.
#5 of 9 Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 PM

Moving to H&H.
#6 of 9 Old 05-11-2009, 09:42 PM

I think we would all worry in your shoes, but the lady and the nurse are right. She should be well past contagious right now. She hurts because her nerves are damaged. Keep your eye on your babe. Soon you will be past the incubation period and you'll know for sure you can stop worrying.
#7 of 9 Old 05-11-2009, 09:47 PM

The only way your dd could get cp from the lady with shingles is if she actually touched the sores. So assuming the sores where under the lady's clothing there is zero chance your dd would catch cp from her.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#8 of 9 Old 11-03-2009, 10:54 AM

Actually, people with shingles are contagious to persons who have not had chickenpox. Therefore, the people will catch chickenpox if they you come in contact with the rash/sores and fluid that is draining from the person who has shingles. This information is for your reference http://www.isshinglescontagious.net/
#9 of 9 Old 11-03-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pender View Post
Actually, people with shingles are contagious to persons who have not had chickenpox. Therefore, the people will catch chickenpox if they you come in contact with the rash/sores and fluid that is draining from the person who has shingles. This information is for your reference http://www.isshinglescontagious.net/
That's true but this lady said her sores had healed up two weeks ago. So the baby was not in contact with any sores.

OP, I agree, there is little chance your baby will catch CP. The lady is still sore due to the nerve pain that shingles causes. That can last a while.

I think everyone is just kind of worried about contagious diseases this fall due to all the news about H1N1, etc. So it's understandable you were upset!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page