Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
Who said ALL were caused by viruses?
yep. i misread that. sorry!

from duke health:
"About 60 percent of all ear infections are believed to be bacterial and 40 percent are believed to be viral."

from the mayo clinic:
"In fact, about 80 percent of children with middle ear infections recover without antibiotics. "
- they recommend a 72 hour waiting period if the child is older than 6 months, has an unclear diagnoses, and is otherwise healthy.

boy, you learn something new everyday!

at this point, i'd say continue with the tylenol and skip the antibiotics!!

eh. who needs a signature?
#32 of 37 Old 05-17-2009, 02:20 AM

With regards to reducing a fever without drugs - my mother used cool compresses on our calves and the soles of our feet, but only if they were hot. If our heads were hot and our extremities cool then no cool compress on the calves/soles of the feet.

I don't know if this is still considered good practice or not, or whether it is even recommended for a baby.

This thread has been so informative when it comes to treating ear infections.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#33 of 37 Old 05-17-2009, 06:57 AM

Whenever DD would get high fevers (105-106) the Dr always said to keep her undressed and in a cooler room and TONS of fluids (pedialylte, BM, Popsicle, water....anything and everything)

I think that the concern i would have (and it sound to me like the concern the OP is having) is that it is only an ear infection. And as a first time mom, it is really hard to not jump to the worst case scenario.

If you are sure that the ear infection is the reason behind the fever, then i say skip the abx.....if not then feel it out and see what happens, But i would stop calling your Dr because, most likely, she doesnt understand your reasoning and it might put up red flags where they dont belong.

I hope your LO is feeling better! Please keep us updated.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#34 of 37 Old 05-17-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
Don't you think that when she took the kiddo to the doc, the doc looked in the ears and noted purulent drainage which is why the doc ordered antibiotics. That is the difference between bacterial and viral. Give her the antibiotics.
Viruses can also cause nasty discharge. That's an over simplification.

hh2.gif

#35 of 37 Old 05-17-2009, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justicedante View Post
Hugs mama! I know how worrisome fevers are. I find this article very helpful:
http://www.mothering.com/articles/gr...ng_crisis.html
Just wanted to update:

That night I stayed up all night with DD, comforting, holding, and watching fever. It was a rough night. But in the morning, her fever had broken completely. She was very tired the next day, but as the day progressed, she became more and more like her old, perky self. By the end of the day, she was laughing and playing. I'm still continuing to give her the garlic/mullein oil in her ears and lots of rest, fluids and Vit. C and echinacea.

I really appreciate the above article. I read it that night, along with many hours of research on what is really happening when the body has a fever and how it is affected when it is artificially suppressed or when given anti-biotics. I continued to read all of your great replies.

I very much appreciate all the support I received. This was my first time going through something like this and I was very scared. But I learned a lot about how immune systems work. I have learned to trust our bodies. I've also learned it's important to watch how our bodies are handling the illness and when it's time to seek extra help, like anti-biotics. I think the biggest thing I have learned is not to fear sickness but respect it for what it accomplishes and watch how the body is handling it (is the child still fighting or getting weaker?).

One thing the above article mentioned is that generally after the fever has run it's full course, there seems to be a jump in development in the child. I saw that on the night after DD's fever ended. She almost seems like a different girl, like more mature and assertive some how.

I think I'm a different person too!

Thank you again for all your support!
#36 of 37 Old 05-17-2009, 06:35 PM

I am SO glad that you made it through the night It is scary, and it does get easier. I used to be so terrified with dd when she had a fever. Now (she's 5y) and I've developed a system for knowing when to treat it. It also gets easier as the children become more communicitive.

Even with ds (16m) I held off on any fever reducing meds much longer than I would have with dd.

I hope you are able to enjoy some much needed rest all around tonight.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#37 of 37 Old 10-22-2011, 07:30 PM

We just came through an ear infection, the first one ever - with high fever and just awful listless toddler symptoms.. It was the second time in his entire life I gave him anti-biotics .. I understand your reluctance and personally prefer to use homeopathy and herbs as much as possible, though there's a time and a place for Western medicine. .. This is a very old post, so I'm curious did you end up giving the anti-biotics, did she have mengitis, etc..? 

Lady Tiger Fairy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page