Ovarian Torsion Recovery - Mothering Forums

Ovarian Torsion Recovery

wildflower18's Avatar wildflower18 (TS)
08:27 PM Liked: 0
#1 of 9
05-16-2009 | Posts: 510
Seeking others who have had ovarian torsion and/or have had an oophorectomy? I had emergency surgery on Monday 5/11 and had my right ovary removed and am wondering what others experiences may have been during recovery, physical and emotional, as well as TTC after surgery.
02:20 PM Liked: 0
#2 of 9
05-21-2009 | Posts: 510
anyone??
07:20 PM Liked: 0
#3 of 9
05-22-2009 | Posts: 510
just trying one last time??? anyone??? anyone who had an ovary removed or even a laparotomy?
Mama2Tristan's Avatar Mama2Tristan
09:38 PM Liked: 0
#4 of 9
05-23-2009 | Posts: 223
I had clinical experience on a gyne oncology floor, and worked with lots of patients who had had oophorectomies. We encouraged them to get up and move because it led to faster recoveries....as well as listen to and treat for pain when necessary. As far as emotional, I think there was a wide range......but then again, I was in an acute care setting, so post-op day 1...

Not sure about ttc...but i know that some women would have one ovary removed with the hopes of conceiving with the other ovary....
Amylcd's Avatar Amylcd
09:48 PM Liked: 17
#5 of 9
05-23-2009 | Posts: 3,808
I had the same thing done in May (the 12th) of last year. My recovery was easy - physically. This was my 5 major surgery though, and after each surgery the recovery became easier. In my case, I am now unable to have children so I can not answer any ttc questions. (i had my left ovary and tube removed, and they also had to remove part of my right tube - emotionally it has been hard to deal with this)

I hope your recovery goes well.
10:34 PM Liked: 0
#6 of 9
05-28-2009 | Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylcd View Post
I had the same thing done in May (the 12th) of last year. My recovery was easy - physically. This was my 5 major surgery though, and after each surgery the recovery became easier. In my case, I am now unable to have children so I can not answer any ttc questions. (i had my left ovary and tube removed, and they also had to remove part of my right tube - emotionally it has been hard to deal with this)

I hope your recovery goes well.
Thanks for the info...it's always nice to hear from someone who's been there, done that! The recovery has been easier than expected and it's spurred me to want to TTC #2 sooner than I had thought - in fact DH only wants one, but I feel like it's now or never at age 37 with one ovary, PCOS and endometriosis working against me. I'm still not sure how I feel emotionally about it all, but it certainly makes you take a 2nd look at how you are living your life. It's actually been nice to slow down for a few weeks and not really have anyone place expectations on me.
rahans's Avatar rahans
11:01 AM Liked: 11
#7 of 9
05-29-2009 | Posts: 254
A few years ago, I had my right ovary and tube removed end Nov. Started TTC #2 in Feb, conceived in Apr at age 35. My physical recovery was ok even tho I had 2 incisions (a tiny one under my belly button but they had to reopen my c-section scar to get the cyst out). The laproscopic incision took longer to heal. Emotionally, was a little tough but I think it was b/c I also stopped nursing at the same time due to me losing my milk - emotionally I was not ready to stop nursing. My OB explained to me that the other ovary just takes over and you still ovulate every month. Good luck TTC!
02:17 PM Liked: 0
#8 of 9
05-31-2009 | Posts: 510
Thanks rahans! Good to hear that TTC seemed fairly easy for you! I already have some infertility issues working against me - PCOS and endometriosis - but am hopeful that I may actually be able to conceive easier. The doc said that with one ovary, it may regulate my hormones a bit better and reverse some of the PCOS symptoms. I am nearing 38, so the clock is ticking much louder now with only one ovary!

As for the milk, I think my supply has dropped, but he is still nursing strong! I was lucky to only skip nursing about 24 hours for the surgery and recovery. My DS is also nearing 2 years old, so although I don't want to wean, slowing down would be nice at this stage.
02:58 PM Liked: 0
#9 of 9
06-08-2009 | Posts: 510
Just wanted to add for anyone in a similar situation who may have happened upon this thread while doing a search that I got my first postpartum AF 4 weeks after the surgery to remove my right ovary. I believe that the cyst on my ovary that caused the torsion was a result of an attempt to cycle, but with PCOS as a factor, it was unsuccessful. I am very happy to see that the left ovary works and the surgery has triggered the most normal AF I've ever had on my own! Here's to hoping that it continues! :
Reply Subscribe Women's Health