Over 13 months post partum and still no period? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-18-2009, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seriously. I am *not* complaining, just curious to how common this is. I pump 4x a day and nurse all night (we bedshare). Is it healthy not to have a period for this long pp?

prior to getting pregnant (which took 2.5 years) I had *SUPER* long cycles...like 60-70 days and no ovulation. The first time I actually ovulated I got pregnant. : I am not looking to get pregnant again any time soon, but just thought it was odd that I still haven't had a period.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#2 of 7 Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 AM

I feel ya. I'm almost 12 months post partum with no period. I was always irregular as well. Maybe it's because we are still nursing so much??? My DD only has about 2 solid meals a day and the rest is BM.
#3 of 7 Old 05-18-2009, 04:54 PM

Totally normal. Nursing can suppress your cycle, though I personally wouldn't use that alone as reliable birth control if you aren't wanting to be pg again soon. After my first baby I had my first pp period at around 20 months (but I didn't ovulate till around his 2nd birthday and got pg that first ovualtory cycle), after my second baby my first pp period was at 16-17 months (again, didn't ovulate till she turned 2). After my third baby I had my first pp period around 15-16 months. That was more than a month ago so I'm waiting to see when I'm going to be getting the next period. I tend to longer cycles anyway, 40ish days average. For me it seems to relate to how much night nursing is happening. As they decrease in night nursing I tend to start getting my cycles back but it takes a while for my fertility to return. With my oldest we were playing around with night weaning a few weeks before. The other 2 never really nursed as much at night as my oldest did.
However, this isn't the case with everyone. I have a friend who routinely gets her period around 6 weeks pp no matter how much she nurses. She actually showed up at her 6 week pp dr appt pg one time.
#4 of 7 Old 05-18-2009, 05:51 PM

Totally normal and healthy. I got AF back when dd was 19m and she was a full time night nurser too. It was great. Ds is just 16m now and now AF yet. I'm hoping to go longer this time I may be wrong, but isn't the delay in AF part of how BF protects mother's from breast cancer? I could be way off, but I think it may be related.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#5 of 7 Old 05-18-2009, 05:57 PM

I'd say normal too. I've only had 1 period in 3 years.

#6 of 7 Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 PM

Totally normal. Mine came back around 19 months PP. I was a bit irregular with long cycles before. It also took 2.5 years for us of ACTIVE, ACTIVE trying (12 years of not doing much to prevent it!) Cycle lengths have varied since it came back (we're still nursing.) So far, 44, 28, 24, 44, 39, 34 days.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#7 of 7 Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 PM

W/my first 2 I got af back when they were 21 months each time, I am on baby #3 and I hope I don't get af back for at least that long.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page