Poison Ivy - Mothering Forums

 
Thread Tools
#1 of 7 Old 05-18-2009, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
 
MrsMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2yo ds fell onto a giant patch of poison ivy at the park this evening? What do I do? I took him home and stripped him in the doorway. His clothes are in a bag. I soaped him down in the shower and he's now soaking n the tub. I have no clue what you're supposed to do. I am not allergic to poison ivy. I can practically take a bath in it and not break out. Hopefully he is the same. Do I wait and see if he gets a rash?

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

MrsMike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 7 Old 05-18-2009, 09:46 PM
 
ChocolateNummies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Definitely wash well all over. You and him. Any oils on you can just transfer back to him. Use a soap intended to cut oil. The allergen in the plant - urushiol - is an oil. It doesn't break down easily. If you are really concerned there are soaps designed specifically to wash off poison ivy. Any grocery/drug store should carry some brand of it.

There are some natural remedies in nature - jewel weed for one - but I'm assuming you don't really have access to that right now.

First exposure to poison ivy does not cause a break out. Repeated exposures may. Assuming you know this was your child's first exposure he shouldn't have any problems.

If he does break out, there are otc treatments and plenty of home remedies. Oatmeal baths, etc. I'm sure a web search will get you plenty of info. There is also a product called zanfel that is supposed to be good. It bonds back to the ivy's oils in your skin to wash them off even after you've broken out. Never used it personally but wouldn't hesitate to try it know that I know about it, though it is pretty expensive. I know you can get it at walmart but not sure where else.

Wash both of your clothes really well in detergent that will cut oils and you should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post
I can practically take a bath in it and not break out. Hopefully he is the same.
Don't count on this. You can develop the allergy to poison ivy at any time in your life. Not saying you will - but still treat the plant with respect.

Start pointing it out to your ds every time you see it. Both my kids could recognize it at an early age and knew to stay away from it, for their sakes and mine. The last few cases I've gotten were indirect contact from my kids so I started making sure they knew how seriously we could all be affected.

I've had some pretty bad, miserable cases. I really hope your little guy doesn't break out.

Sara:  Playing ref to my jumpers.gif    Sweet Pea 10 read.gif Tootle Pants 7 bouncy.gif& Trouble Monkey diaper.gif 18 mo

ChocolateNummies is offline  
#3 of 7 Old 05-18-2009, 09:50 PM
 
ChocolateNummies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thought of something. If you drove to/from the park you may want to wash his car seat cover to be extra careful. Any oils he transferred to it could transfer back to him during his next ride.

Sara:  Playing ref to my jumpers.gif    Sweet Pea 10 read.gif Tootle Pants 7 bouncy.gif& Trouble Monkey diaper.gif 18 mo

ChocolateNummies is offline  
 
#4 of 7 Old 05-18-2009, 09:57 PM
 
WuWei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the moment
Posts: 11,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've heard NOT to use soap, which just spreads the oils around the skin. Wash with cool water only, shower- not bath which just creates a poison ivy oil slick on the surface of the water.

I've used Tecnu (?? how unnatural it is) because we get SEVERE poison ivy here. http://www.teclabsinc.com/products.c...129F6D83DF2417

Do not go back outside near any poison ivy after using the Tecnu, because it strips the protective oils from the skin also.

We've use Rhus Tox homeopathic for the severe itching, sprays, topical, pellets. Lidocaine spray helps, but stings and is very COLD spray. Clearasil Plus dries the rash more rapidly. But, Rescue Remedy liquid and cream helped too.

Btdt, ds had it on 20% of his body at age 30 months. It was horrible for weeks and weeks, as we couldn't find the contamination source. Ultimately, found it was in a stroller in the garage which one of the cats had slept in.

Isolate EVERYTHING which has any potential oils on it and wash repeatedly in cold water. You can add the Tecnu to the laundry also. It is available at CVS Pharmacy.

Best wishes!


Pat

I have a blog.
WuWei is offline  
#5 of 7 Old 05-18-2009, 09:59 PM
 
burke-a-bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mallville
Posts: 925
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Green tomato juice.
burke-a-bee is offline  
#6 of 7 Old 05-18-2009, 10:05 PM
 
ChocolateNummies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I've heard NOT to use soap, which just spreads the oils around the skin. Wash with cool water only, shower- not bath which just creates a poison ivy oil slick on the surface of the water.
Right, no gentle soaps that would preserve your skins oils - and hence the poison ivy's oils. A detergent-type soap that will cut oils and remove any that haven't bonded yet from your skin.

Sara:  Playing ref to my jumpers.gif    Sweet Pea 10 read.gif Tootle Pants 7 bouncy.gif& Trouble Monkey diaper.gif 18 mo

ChocolateNummies is offline  
#7 of 7 Old 05-18-2009, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
 
MrsMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the replies. I have mostly crunchy hippie soaps, so I washed him with dish detergent. : He took a long shower afterwards, though I did let him take a bath when he was done the shower. I took his jacket, shoes and socks off at the park and covered his carseat with a blanket, so hopefully nothing transferred onto it. I'm hoping nothing happens. This is his first exposure and I'm definitely going to work with him to help him identify it. I didn't know I could become allergic to it after all of this time. Bummer. I do respect the plant, though.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

MrsMike is offline  
Reply


User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 9,241

22 members and 9,219 guests
a-sorta-fairytale , AnthonyBuckland , bananabee , Bow , Deborah , emmy526 , girlspn , ignitebh1 , katelove , Katherine73 , marbleracingleague , moominmamma , nursingee86 , philomom , pulcetti , sciencemum , Skippy918 , Springshowers , StarsFall , stellanyc , Vladasea
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.