coxsackie-herpangina - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-18-2009, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 11.5 mo has just been diagnosed with this. Her fever is over-had it for 3 days-she has severe sores in her mouth still. I was just wondering if anyone else had experience with this. How long did it last? She refuses to eat anything but is still nursing fine.

Also-I realize this is a virus that most children get. Can you get it again after having it before? My older daughter 4.5 just started a fever tonight with a headache-and it seems to coincidental that it is not this also. However, we thought she had coxsackie virus around 2-but HFM not herpangina. She got the severe fever after a neighbor had it-but never developed symptoms of the rash-just the fever. Could she have it again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Nobody has experience with this virus? Its a common childhood virus.
#3 of 6 Old 05-19-2009, 10:25 PM

Ds has this right now too. Had the fever over the weekend, just discovered the sores today. Under his tongue, on his soft palate, and his tonsil. Ow.

I don't know if you can get it twice. He had something similar when he was 2.5 but I think that was a primary herpes (coldsore) outbreak. He was nursing then and survived on breastmilk for about a week, and I thanked God he was still nursing! If not, I'm sure we would have ended up in the ER needing fluids.

If older dd had HFM I *think* herpangina is related but not exactly the same, so my impression would be that's probably what dd has. I think 7-10 days was the healing time for the sores. Hopefully less!

We are using popcicles and motrin to releave some inflamation. Will younger dd eat a frozen fruit slush type thing? (or older dd?)

*hugs* Mine is a singleton, so I still don't know how Momma's get by with two sickies in the house! My heart goes out to you and hope every one is feeling better soon!
#4 of 6 Old 05-19-2009, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply!

Older dd just started getting the sores this afternoon so she definitely has it as well. Younger dd took a few bites of food today-not much-but its a start. Thank goodness for nursing-she hasn't eaten anything since Friday.
She has just been getting really hard to put down to sleep-throwing her head back when trying to rock her I never give pain meds. but am this time because she is so miserable -and so is my older dd. Mama only has two arms! Its hard with two sick (and miserably painfully sick) at the same time! My dh stayed home yesterday to help-we were literally tag teaming all day. My mom came over this afternoon to give extra cuddles to my older dd so that I could get some rest when I put my little one down for a nap.

Yikes-7-10 days! I think I am running out of energy!

Good luck to you and your little boy! Hope he is feeling better soon.
#5 of 6 Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 PM

Checking in on you guys! How are things going? Sores seem to be healing?

Ds is pretty much back to normal about 7 days after the fevers started. Hope your girls are feeling better and you are able to get some rest!
#6 of 6 Old 05-23-2009, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for checking in on us
My 11.5 month old took exactly a week-she was back to normal by yesterday. It went quicker in my 4.5 yr old-she was almost back to normal yesterday and her fever started on Monday night.
We are almost getting sleep here-however now the 11.5 month old is getting teeth-ha-ha. I will get sleep in a few years

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page