Bra Wearers May Face Up to 125-Fold Higher Cancer Risk - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read this before.

I've noticed among native women, younger girls who have never been pregnant or had a baby have fairly perky breasts. It's mothers who have the typical sagging ones. But if you think about it, sagging may have an advantage since they are pointing down to the baby. I read that on a website somewhere.

As for what to wear if you don't wear bras: I wear an empire waisted tank top under t-shirts most of the time. I am a B-cup.

Edited to add: What I have found very helpful for painful breasts before/during my period is extra vitamin E, about 200-400 IU. It seems to make it go away.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#32 of 44 Old 05-20-2009, 12:10 PM

Yeah, that's some shady research.

I'm an A-cup and wear a bra all the time. I stick with sport bras at home and at work. I really don't need underwire and I hate the feeling of sweating in an underwire bra. Yuck.

Can't go without a bra. I look "excited" no matter what is going on. I remember in high school I would tape down my nipples with bandaids so I could wear a halter top. Cami's don't conceal nipples either. Actually, a sports bra barely does it so at work it's a sports bra, undershirt then my scrubs top.
#33 of 44 Old 05-20-2009, 11:48 PM

I just thought about something while in the shower regarding the strong ligament statement. Basically, it's not true.

Tendons and ligaments are the same thing, one connects bone to bone the other, bone to muscle. When you add resistance (i.e. the weight of unsupported breasts over time) to those ligaments they stretch to some degree. Think about it: stretching before exercise, yoga, pilates, all these will make you more limber the longer you do them. When you first start it hurts to attempt to touch your toes but after adding resistance you can stick your head between your knees. So, resistance to tendons and ligaments = longer and stretchier not shorter and stronger.

When a tendon/ligament is not used is when it gets shorter and tighter. I saw this first hand when I used to work long term care and even at my current job. When someone loses function/movement from something like head trauma, vegetative state or the degenerative process of aging they are at high risk for contractures (sp?). The classic example is foot drop. Someone who is bed/chair ridden doesn't walk and doesn't utilize the tendons in the foot. When laying in bed the foot naturally planter flexes causing the Achilles tendon to shorten. If the foot is rarely dorsiflexed the tendon doesn't get the "work out" it needs so it shortens permanently and that person can no longer stand flat footed. The foot has "dropped" permanently.
#34 of 44 Old 05-21-2009, 01:52 AM

Well, I'm at work and I'm not wearing a bra :

It's so liberating. And comfy.

FTR, I wear a white polo at work and I'm a 38DDD. I wore a spandex-y tank top underneathe to prevent extreme jiggle.

My current bra really hurts--I have what looks like burning under my breasts because of the underwire. I have to get a new one soon....but I can't find my size in a IRL store that's reasonable (I can go to a bra shop and pay $60...but that's just crazy!).

ursusarctos, thanks for hopping in with some info. Your sig is what took me to brafree.org in the first place. It's interesting. Because of that I might not start dd on bras at all when she's older--just a tank under her shirts. We'll see.

Anyway. Just wanted to report that I'm all natural' tonight at work
#35 of 44 Old 05-21-2009, 01:59 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
interesting! all i know is something has to be up with wearing a bra! when i get home from work my boobs hurt so bad! all i can think about is getting that darn thing off!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#36 of 44 Old 05-21-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post
I just thought about something while in the shower regarding the strong ligament statement. Basically, it's not true.

Tendons and ligaments are the same thing, one connects bone to bone the other, bone to muscle. When you add resistance (i.e. the weight of unsupported breasts over time) to those ligaments they stretch to some degree. Think about it: stretching before exercise, yoga, pilates, all these will make you more limber the longer you do them. When you first start it hurts to attempt to touch your toes but after adding resistance you can stick your head between your knees. So, resistance to tendons and ligaments = longer and stretchier not shorter and stronger.

When a tendon/ligament is not used is when it gets shorter and tighter. I saw this first hand when I used to work long term care and even at my current job. When someone loses function/movement from something like head trauma, vegetative state or the degenerative process of aging they are at high risk for contractures (sp?). The classic example is foot drop. Someone who is bed/chair ridden doesn't walk and doesn't utilize the tendons in the foot. When laying in bed the foot naturally planter flexes causing the Achilles tendon to shorten. If the foot is rarely dorsiflexed the tendon doesn't get the "work out" it needs so it shortens permanently and that person can no longer stand flat footed. The foot has "dropped" permanently.
Thank you for your comment, not now. It motivated me to check out ligaments more closely.
So as far as I understand, ligaments when stretched can become not only longer but more flexible/elastic? So the ligaments of a breast under normal stress (not running, just day to day bouncing) would not necessarily "stretch out" to a great degree, rather might become more used to stretching and contracting throughout the day? Basically a flexibility thing. Of course, with increased strain on the breasts, like the sudden changes of pregnancy and breastfeeding, or jogging, or extremely large breasts, the ligaments might overstretch and cause pain/sagging.
At least this is what I gather... Correct me if I got the wrong idea. Personally I'd rather have saggy, flexible breasts with healthy ligaments than breasts with stiff, short ligaments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post
Because of that I might not start dd on bras at all when she's older--just a tank under her shirts. We'll see.
That is so cool to hear. When I was starting to get breasts my mom forced me to start wearing bras even though I found them terribly uncomfortable. I wish she had thought of the tank solution.
Though who knows, maybe your daughter will want to wear bras because they are a symbol of womanhood and femininity... I certainly went through that stage too once I was old enough to buy lacy, sexy bras

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
interesting! all i know is something has to be up with wearing a bra! when i get home from work my boobs hurt so bad! all i can think about is getting that darn thing off!
That is what motivated me to stop in the first place.

BTW here is another interesting breast website I found: 007 Breasts. I don't think it's as scientifically based as brafree but it looks fascinating anyway. It also deals with social issues and attitudes around breasts and breastfeeding.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#37 of 44 Old 05-21-2009, 08:38 AM

This study seems flawed to me for sure!
Also, I eat well, do yoga, normal weight, breastfeed, have a BS, exercise and am at least a bit crunchy, lol but I need to wear a bra for comfort, even at night.

I never did until I had my 3rd baby. Then my breasts just got huge and so heavy that it is painful without one!
I wear a very soft nursing bra to bed and a soft bra plus jogger bra to run and do aerobic exercise. Otherwise the weight really is too much.

Deb

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#38 of 44 Old 05-21-2009, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wonder why many people are so uncomfortable IN bras and others are so uncomfortable OUT of bras...

I guess i'm middle of the road. Except for social issues, I'm comfortable bra free (except if i have to run, but I just grab and go : - it's only at home, I guess). But when i'm wearing a bra I never have problems with it, really, either. I used to be a 36 A before breastfeeding, and went up to a 36DD and am now down to a 36 b-c (ish? my son is slowing down on the breastfeeding so it's only a couple times a day at this point).

The only time I can remember sleeping with a bra on was at summer camp as a early teen when we were all sure that wearing our bras all night would make our boobs bigger. I just wonder what the difference is between people on this because it seems like a pretty wide variation. Is it just related to breastsize?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#39 of 44 Old 05-21-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Hmm, interesting. I wonder what all they controlled for- weight, breasdt size, breastfeeding, other lifestyle factors, etc.

-Angela
I wonder too.... cancer risk cant accurately be measured by just the amount of time one wears a bra. This is also measuring breast cancer diagnoses; many cases aren't diagnosed especially in poorer areas (appalacia, etc).

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#40 of 44 Old 05-21-2009, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't been able to wear a bra for about 8 years due to a nerve injury (any constriction anywhere along my back, including jeans, underwear, bathing suits, etc. causes painful and sustained back spasms). My boobs shrank with each child to the point of ... nothing. But if I could wear a bra, at least I would look like I had boobs. I wear two tshirts or the time. I can't wear just one layer. And there's a lot of clothes that just don't fit right because they're all cut to fit someone with boobs. So there is a downside. That being said, it's pretty comfortable. And my mother had breast cancer, so I'm always looking for things that "might" cause it, just in case (electric blankets and anti-perspirant have also come under attack at different times). My mother was considered very low risk (had her first child, actually all, before age 30, breastfed us all for a year, even when it wasn't fashionable, ate healthy, exercised, never drank or smoked) so you just never know. Now I can say I'm not wearing a bra for health reasons. Get more people to do it and I won't feel so weird!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#41 of 44 Old 05-21-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
I just wonder what the difference is between people on this because it seems like a pretty wide variation. Is it just related to breastsize?
I don't think so. I have found bras uncomfortable ever since I started wearing them, from pre-A cup through B, C, D and back to C. I think people's breasts just respond differently to being confined.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#42 of 44 Old 05-21-2009, 03:49 PM

Now the news is sayign that if a woman has a "larger" cup size, she is at a very high risk of developing Type 1 Diabetes Fear mongering....ggrrrrr.

I still say, if a person eats a standard amercian diet, which is full of free radicals, that is the root cause.
So, that plays into the tight bra. Lymph nodes are toxic and can't drain, etc....
But the Type 1 and cup size? Come on!

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#43 of 44 Old 05-21-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamom View Post
I have really big breasts and hate to wear a bra because I get so sweaty underneath them with one on (TMI sorry!) So around the house I never wear a bra...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
I'm an A-cup, so I can't relate, but doesn't it still get sweaty under your breasts without a bra? I would think it would be more uncomfortable if they're hanging down, because there'd be more skin-to-skin contact....?
Yeah - I had the same reaction to the other poster. I'm a 38DD (large, but not as large as some, obviously), and the annoying sweat is one of the primary reasons I do wear a bra.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#44 of 44 Old 05-21-2009, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Darn, I bet that will really cut down on the protection of breastfeeding I got from breastfeeding. I wonder if insurance companies will charge bra wearing women a surcharge.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page