Ear tubes in a 15 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 05-20-2009, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PLEASE tell me about what you all think of them. My little bro had them alot growing up as do alot of my friends kids but MY baby is a whole other story. He is going to a ENT per his ped tommrow. He turned on in Feb and has had them non stop since then and I HATE abx ( tried it homopathicly first with no success ) I am going to ask if it might be seasonal allergies. Does anyone feel strongly against them? Why?

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 05-20-2009, 01:49 AM

Here are some alternatives to consider: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...9&postcount=22

Pat

I have a blog.
#3 of 19 Old 05-20-2009, 01:54 AM

Have you tried a chiropractor yet? My DS had 7 months of infections and fluid in both ears. He was recommended for tubes but I tried chiropractics for him first. Hugely successful. The fluid drained almost immediately (3 adjustments) then he started going for just a periodic adjustment. He has only had 1 ear infection in the past 4 years now and it passed quickly with no abx.

Also take a look at diet if a chiro doesn't take care of it. Dairy is often a huge culprit.

Ear tubes often don't work, often fall out and need to be redone. I think it is much better to get at the root cause and control that if possible. You can always do tubes as a last resort.

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
#4 of 19 Old 05-20-2009, 01:54 AM

When he turned 1, did you introduce straight cow's milk to him or another mammal milk? EIs can be from allergies and if they just started at 1, I would look into something you've added to his diet recently. My older 3 have tubes, and the baby isn't looking so hot either. E and I had them at 7 mos old in part from their food allergies and reflux. Olivia is the same way, food allergies, reflux, and I think some seasonal stuff as well. She's on EI #2 in 2 wks. Best wishes in your decision. For us, especially for Evan, it's been a great decision.

AJ did lose one of his tubes about 6 mos after they got in, but he **** has the other 3 yrs later. Evan has 2 and it's been 4 yrs in July and Ilana has 2 and it's been 2 yrs next month.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#5 of 19 Old 05-20-2009, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by straighthaircurly View Post
Have you tried a chiropractor yet? My DS had 7 months of infections and fluid in both ears. He was recommended for tubes but I tried chiropractics for him first. Hugely successful. The fluid drained almost immediately (3 adjustments) then he started going for just a periodic adjustment. He has only had 1 ear infection in the past 4 years now and it passed quickly with no abx.

Also take a look at diet if a chiro doesn't take care of it. Dairy is often a huge culprit.

Ear tubes often don't work, often fall out and need to be redone. I think it is much better to get at the root cause and control that if possible. You can always do tubes as a last resort.
I guess I should have said that we are dairy/casien/gluten free. Dairy I have beem since he was little little, two weeks old maybe, and gluten for about two monthes, after it started. He is still EBF as well.

I want to do a chiro soooo bad, but tricare will not cover it and we can't afford it sadly.

#6 of 19 Old 05-20-2009, 02:12 AM

Hmmmm. It could be seasonal. Could you try some allergy remedies (whatever you choose) to see if it helps? What about reflux? Could silent reflux be a possibility?

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#7 of 19 Old 05-20-2009, 02:31 AM

Are you doing probiotics? Klaire labs and kirkman labs are both diary/soy/gluten/etc. free.

You could try elevating the head of the bed to reduce congestion/reflux perhaps. It seemed to help my kid and myself with reflux and reflux does contribute to ear infections. Has he had a lot of colds? You can try to reduce his exposure to viruses and the like until you get into the summer. A lot of ENT's will try to get a winter kid to the summer to see how they do then/if things improve or stabilize.

You can try to massage to drain the fluid. I was taught two things. One was to go from the middle of the forehead to the scalp, then down both sides of the head all the way to the neck. Then from the bridge of the nose down the sides to the mouth. The other was harder to describe...I'll see if maybe I can find a link.

You are likely dealing with resitant bacteria at this point and biofilms. It can be really tough when you get to that point.

Sometimes kids need tubes. Sometimes their ears just don't drain. It's over-done but that doesn't mean it's not necessary in any particular kid. Yours might be one. It's a super fast sugery.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#8 of 19 Old 05-20-2009, 04:46 AM

it might be entirely irrelevant
but my friend's child majorly improved when they repositioned the bed as it turned that his head was in the way of the air that was getting out of the ducts, it was really very remotely but still, she told me that she checked the air flow with a candle held by the sleeping place - of course in absolute absence of a child in million miles parameter.. and it was flickering..
as the air was on whenever was on..
so that was one..
then they also moved the crib per some homeopatic doc away from ANY windows and outside walls as those also cause internal drafts that people are not aware of and cool air is affecting sleeping child just like a draft.

so interior walls only to position crib or bed and never close to any windows no matter how fantastic they are and how good covers they have..

other few thing if I recall was something about making sure how the baby/kid rides in the car.. never having any air vents directed where the head is as it is strong enough to cause ear infections in the back of the car just the same as sitting next to them..

then there was something about.. oh hats.. yeah, always wearing a hat when it is windy outside and there is no need to wait for a hurricane :-)..
supposedly people who get EI often should have the hats permanently glued to their hats and supposedly there were some tests done in Europe that people who were "sentenced" to wear hats 24 hours a day for few months..
got "miracurously cured" of all ear infections that bothered them before and they EI got back instantly once they were off the hat drill..

since it was young people in the group and NO dietary changes of any kind were made the assumption was that hat worked like a shield and clearly those infections were caused by sensitivity to temperature changes due to the air something something.. I don't remember any details but it got my attantion and I embrace hats myself much more and for my kiddo..
it is even in the summer here easy to get EI just because AC will blow at you mercilessly Everywhere you go!

was that all??..

oh about ear tubes.. beware of material, many people get into catch 22..
as that thingy sometimes helps and sometimes just causes more infections..
? go figure.. supposedly something in allergy to the material they are made of and then other theory was about body trying to get rid of it as foreign element..

If you have never red a book by Mendehlson

How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor
http://www.amazon.com/Raise-Healthy-.../dp/0345342763

there is hilarious chapter on ear infections and it is something that long ago made me to read the whole book as it reads like a great novel really..
with such a humor yet so great. they have it in most libraries too I am sure.

I don't know how much true are those recommendations but I did the thing with the interior walls and I am pretty careful about hats and car and that all stuff and my kiddo nor us never go one EI ever so I don't know if it is just coincidence or does it work?..

oh.. and also be careful as to bathing.. it is important not to let kids to roam free with wet hair outside EVER... except for the pool situation :-)
as this supposed to add to the problem...
if kids are going to the swim classes in cold months this might be an issue to look into..

I don't know how much of value those opinions are, they are not mine but I subscribed to few as I agree with some and I think that who knows.. maybe they wont' help but surely do no harm :-)

hugs and good luck.

P.S. I don't know much about the diet part of EI, we are rather heavy cow's milk consumers and although I did not introduce the milk till 1 year old then my child has a free access to the dairy products, and I do nurse still at 3.5..
so I am not any expert of connection between EI and diary, as this did not seem to have any impact on the issue, this of course does not mean that it is invalid issue. Dairy is bad thing and I think so too but we just loove it so much :-)
#9 of 19 Old 05-20-2009, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

WOW thanks!!!!!!!!!
Going to the ent this afternoon will update then.

#10 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 11:36 AM

Please, please, please explore all your other options before going this route. I am 32-year-old and had tubes put in my ears when I was 11. It was likely just seasonal allergies but rather than treating me for that, they jumped right to the tubes. Having tubes was a horrible experience - one drop of accidental water in the ears will be the most excruciating pain one could imagine. And they didn't help (because they didn't do away with the allergies).

Even worse, the tube in my right ear grew into the eardrum. It was covered with wax and went ignored by every single doctor who looked at me. I was unable to swim or put my head in any water for all those years because of the complication. 12 years later after a gradual loss of hearing and constant ear pain and infections, I went in to see a doctor who wanted to do an extensive ear cleaning which mean forcefully flushing water through the ear canal - which of course scared the heck out of me. Before starting, he removed the chunk of wax, thus ripping the tube out of my ear drum. That was 10 years ago and now I have scarring and perforation - still no putting my head under water and a permanent loss of hearing.

I'm not saying this is the case for everyone, but if I had been treated alternatively first, none of this would've happened. As PP suggested, try chiropractic care first. I know that might sound crazy if you aren't familiar with the science of chiropractic care, but it has changed my life dramatically. For the first time in my life, I have NO sinus infections, stuffiness or allergy issues. I never ever take over-the-counter meds or prescriptions, either.

I know Chiro care can be costly, but if I look at the money saved (we're talking thousands) by avoiding doctor visits, co-pays, deductibles, meds and complications, I am coming out on top. It is an investment, but I've not been to the doctor one time in the last year. Look for a chiro that specializes in full families (especially babies and kids) and usually they have a plan that works with your income and/or payment plan. We pay a monthly family fee that covers all of us for unlimited visits.

Andi, 32 - SAHM to Aaron Patriot born at home on 8/7/09 and devoted wife to Paul. : EC, Non-Circ ::
#11 of 19 Old 05-21-2009, 12:40 PM

My allergen free diet (and no allergies actually), chiropractic, cranial sacral treated kid developed a rare complication from an ear infection. The chiro treated him for the last time on a Monday about a year ago...he woke up on the following Wed. with a severe case of mastoiditis.

He ended up with ear tubes and a heck of a lot of other crappy stuff (IV antibiotics, severe pain, hospitalization, month long course of antibiotics when we finally got home). Not to mention he could have died. But what bothers me the most is the severe pain he experienced with it. We could have avoided had we just done tubes when we knew his ears held fluid.

But I'm not going to go around and tell people that not getting tubes is going to lead to something horrible like it did for us.

I am saying that what littlebb experienced is just as rare. And in fact it sounds like you had some medical mistakes made..many. People pop on threads like this and talk about themselves with hearing loss from repeat ear infections too or ear ruptures or whatever. I know you also acknowledged that not everyone will share your experience. But yours is highly unlikely (as is ours..though ours is actually more common) and not a basis for making decisions for anyone else in my opinion.

Some kids really do need tubes. Chiropractic and cranial sacral and allergy treatment don't fix it for everyone. Some kids just have structural differences and they hold fluid and they build biofilms and the only real answer is creating a way for that fluid to get out. It's better in my opinion than rounds of antibiotics and complications.

FWIW, they no longer recommend you avoid swimming (or even wear ear plugs), bathing, and the like with tubes. Lake water or similar is a different story. And my son has never had any pain with his tubes whatsoever (not at all true without them...).

What did the ENT say OP?

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#12 of 19 Old 05-24-2009, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

ENT said tubes. I could go all chemical with allergy meds if that is even the case, and antibiotics, or fix a physiologiacal problem.I am still thinking about it, but really appreciate all the input here. Please keep it coming.

#13 of 19 Old 05-24-2009, 08:08 PM

My recommendation is classical homeopathy. A friend's daughter had six rounds of antibiotics for ear infections and was scheduled for tube insertion. She saw the homeopath and gave her daughter the proscribed remedy. On return to the physician prior to the surgery, her ears were no longer infected. And she has had no ear infections since.

Our classical homeopathist first learned about homeopathy for her son with ear infections. Then she became schooled about homeopathy. I am a complete believer. Although, I still do not understand how it works. We are all on constitutional remedies and are rarely ever sick.

Another suggestion is Grapefruit Seed Extract. (Not grape seed.) GSE is also a natural anti-inflammatory. It is give orally, diluted in water. It tastes horrible though.

Here are some more ideas:
Garlic is a natural antibiotic.
Collodial silver is a natural antibiotic.
Vit C-large doses (natural fever reducer, iirc)
Cod liver oil- essential fatty acids help the immune system (We use Nordic Naturals -strawberry and our son loves it!)
Chamommilla is good for restlessness, discomfort, insomnia, unbearable pain; fever; child is impatient and angry.
Zinc lozenges help the immune system
Echinecea- We use Sambucol for Kids
Probiotics- for immune support, digestive system is 70% of immune system. Many of the serious side effects of cp are associated with a damaged gut, secondary to antibiotic use. Avoid antibiotics with cp and other viral illnesses.

And Dairy is the #1 culprit of fluid and mucus production leading to an environment conducive to ear infections.

Here is some info about homeopathic remedies (and treating ear infections).

* Aconite: Pain that comes on suddenly after a shock or chill.

* Belladonna: Severe throbbing pain; child is oversensitive and cranky.

* Chamomilla: Unbearable pain; fever; child is impatient and angry.

* Lycopodium: Pain on right side only; stopped-up nose; cold extremities.

* Magnesia phosphorica (or "homeopathic aspirin"): Pain reduced by the application of heat or pressure.

* Mercurius solubilis: Pain accompanied by swollen glands and sweating. I would do whole food probiotics, cod liver oil, magnesium, vit. C, zinc, coconut oil, bone broths, green juices. Support the immune system. The gut is 70% of our immune system. Antibiotics damage the microbial balance in the gut.

Basically, you have to heal the gut to strengthen the immune system. Check out the "Healing the Gut-cheat sheet" at the top of the forum. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=434071

Antibiotics rarely address ear infections, which are generally viral in origin. Nor are they more effective than watchful waiting, unless it is a double ear infection in a child younger than age 2.

Here is more information regarding avoiding drug-resistant bacteria: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...5&postcount=12 Basically, UNNECESSARY antibiotics are the cause, not avoiding antibiotics when NOT needed.

HTH,

Pat

I have a blog.
#14 of 19 Old 05-24-2009, 08:14 PM

We did a chiro, modified diet, just about everything and tubes ended up workng well for us. DS got his tubes at 11 mo 3 weeks. At his 3 year appt. his left tube was falling out and his right tube was intact and still is. Within 2 months (just a few weeks ago) of the left tube falling out the eardrum develpoed a sever infection and ruptured. It was horrible and we jumped right back on the antibiotic train.

We're probably going to end up putting it back in. They were the right decision for us and if it ends up being the decision you need to make for your family it's not a horrible, traumatic experience. The procedure took, MAYBE, 10 minutes and it gave us two years of healthy ears.

Good luck with your decision!

Julie, proud graduate of the AOW 3 year program in the study of boobology . Me : + DH : = Super Bubba !
#15 of 19 Old 05-25-2009, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Pat that is what we have been doing as a family for about a year now. ( I got sucked into your threads in the healing your gut stuff because he has midline issues and all the things that lined up with the others that are like us amazed me beyond all else. The Vit B def. , beet juice test to see if I can absorb it, all htat stuff.) I am a probiotic freak since having thrush the first 6 monthes of my first's life. Horriable and avoidable. We have been dairy free for almost 18 monthes, first for him since he was so strongly intolerant of it in my milk, and most recenlty for us all since we are gluten and casein free as a family for easton since he is on the spectrum.
UGHGHGHGHG i wish we could just get to a chiro!

#16 of 19 Old 05-25-2009, 02:21 AM

Just as you discovered that not all ear infections have their root (or resolution) in food allergies or probiotics not all are going to be fixed by chiropractic. We did it all.

Some kids just have ear structure/drainage issues. But you can try massage as I mentioned upthread and see if it helps.

#17 of 19 Old 05-25-2009, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

i have been, he like it alot, gets all rubbing into it and moaning and giggles!

#18 of 19 Old 05-25-2009, 02:58 AM

I am not at all opposed to alternative treatments, and have used many of them.

However, of our six, three of them have had tubes, and benefited greatly from them. Like vaccinations, it's a tough decision that only parents can make.

I have a 9 year old with retracted ear drums because his Eustachian tubes are just to narrow. He didn't have very many infection because we kept him in the chiro's office. Now, he has hearing issues and still needs tubes.

I also have a friend that her daughter's tubes went into the ear drum. Very serious problem for her.

So, each case is different, and there is not a one size fits all answer.

HTH!
#19 of 19 Old 05-28-2009, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks youngwife, that is where I am at right now, we don't vax, intact, very healthy eating, blah blah blah, this seems to go against all i do but if it helps and he NEEDS it,,,, ahhh I don't know!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page