I have melanoma - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 05-26-2009, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I thought melanomas were "hereditary", not "caused" by the sun?
I don't have any one anywhere in either side of my family as far back as both my parents can remember who has had melanoma.

The only cancer we've ever had in our family has been smoking related except for one aunt with breast cancer.

My understanding is that the sun is a significant contributing factor but, not the sole cause.
#32 of 49 Old 05-26-2009, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thAttempt View Post
I want to thank you for posting this thread. This thread made me to make an appointment with my Dr. (I suppose to see him every year and as many of us I was postponing my exam). This treat is a reminder to all of us to get checked. Early detection can save lifes. Thank you again. And good luck to you one more time. Please post your updates.
Thank you. That's why I posted. I hope everyone goes and gets checked. And remember to report anything that is new or has changed, not matter how minor you think it is.

I have the Derm and surgeon today so I will keep you posted.

Thanks again for the support and information!
#33 of 49 Old 05-26-2009, 11:51 AM

Another "thank you" from me. I made an appointment immediately after reading this.

Although, because I have OCD that mostly centers around health issues, I've spent the weekend in a panic over the multiple pink spots I have on my body (they've been there, seemingly unchanged, for many, many years though).

(((((HUGS))))) and prayers headed your way today.
#34 of 49 Old 05-26-2009, 05:10 PM

Skin cancer is the same as cancer anywhere in the body. They all have the same cause. Whatever damages the tissue and is THEN infected with fungus can become cancer. Hence why many melanomas are from skin damage on a mole (moles are microorganisms and viruses living in a clump) caused by the sun.

An interesting fact is that Africans (living in Africa) are in the sun much of the time and yet suffer almost no skin cancer. African Americans, however, have some of the highest rates of skin cancer in the country. Same skin, same sun, different lifestyle.

It isn't the sun alone, it is the same for any cancer - a combination of factors that allow infection of damaged tissue so the tissue cannot heal (due to the cells being infected, they do not "bond" to surrounding tissue).

These rejected infected cells accumulate causing a lump - a tumor.

Unless that current of injury is turned off, the body will produce new cells in an attempt to heal and this rejection of cells will continue - a benign tumor.

If the fungus or an infected cell breaks away and latches elsewhere, that is called malignancy - cancer.

Damaged tissue + infection with fungus = cancer.

Unless you treat your fungal infection and the body conditions that allowed the process to begin with, it may recur somewhere else.

The sun is a healthy, life giving thing. We need not fear the sun. This is a fallacy. There is only one cause of cancer, and one cure. No matter where you find the cancer in the body. See my link in pp for the evidence based information.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#35 of 49 Old 05-27-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm View Post

An interesting fact is that Africans (living in Africa) are in the sun much of the time and yet suffer almost no skin cancer. African Americans, however, have some of the highest rates of skin cancer in the country. Same skin, same sun, different lifestyle.

Okay. This is just plain wrong.

Australia has the highest rate of skin cancers in the world, and next is S. Africa with the rest of Africa not immune (skin cancer is rising there as well). Kiwis (New Zealand) may be outpacing the Aussies. What I'm saying is *where* you live (your UVA exposure matters most). Dark skinned people are not at all immune to skin cancers. 90% of skin cancers are caused by the sun. Light skinned people have higher rates, and where you you live in the world matters most, no matter.
#36 of 49 Old 05-27-2009, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
Okay. This is just plain wrong.

Australia has the highest rate of skin cancers in the world, and next is S. Africa with the rest of Africa not far behind. Kiwis (New Zealand) may be outpacing the Aussies. What I'm saying is *where* you live matters most.
I agree. Everything I've read in my research says that African Americans in the United States have much lower rates of melanoma than other races.
#37 of 49 Old 05-27-2009, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quick update:

Met with the Derm today. I think I need a new derm. I asked about mapping and I got 5 digital full body pictures taken - no close ups of anything, no notes taken about existing moles etc... I went in today for a more indepth body check and this one didn't take any longer than every other one I've have. I need a new dr.

Met with the surgeon. I liked him very much. He was very positive. He says he can't confirm the stage II diagnosis until he does the wide excision and is able to measure the remining cancer to see how deep and how wide it actually is. But, he feels confident it will be well within the margins for stage II.

I have my surgery on friday. I am having my lymph nodes tested at the same time. It adds time and pain to the procedure and he's pretty sure it's not necessary but, he's doing it for my peace of mind and I appreciate it.

I have to be put out for the surgery and I'm completely freaked out. I am not happy at all. But, he says he has to go deep and wide at the site and the lymph node biopsy can be pretty painful and he doesn't feel he can give me enough medicine to keep me pain free and since there are important nerves to consider, he doesn't want even a chance that I could flinch from pain so, I'm being put out.

My daughter's kindergarten graduation is on Friday at 4:30. I'm praying beyond all hope I'll be able to make it. I will be devastated if I can't be there.

Thank you again for all the kind words, support and prayers. You are some great women!
#38 of 49 Old 05-27-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
I agree. Everything I've read in my research says that African Americans in the United States have much lower rates of melanoma than other races.
Yes. Fair skinned people are more at risk. (But we all know it's a myth that dark skinned people are not at risk). Where you live is the most deciding factor. A person in Australia or New Zealand is more likely to get skin cancer than pretty much anyone else on earth. That's because of how the sun rises and sets on a hurting planet.

ETA: I'm sorry, I meant to say I wish you well , and a speedy recovery! I have a close friend who had second stage they found in a mole;it was removed, and many years later, he's absolutely well, with never another issue!
#39 of 49 Old 05-27-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Quick update:

Met with the Derm today. I think I need a new derm. I asked about mapping and I got 5 digital full body pictures taken - no close ups of anything, no notes taken about existing moles etc... I went in today for a more indepth body check and this one didn't take any longer than every other one I've have. I need a new dr.

Met with the surgeon. I liked him very much. He was very positive. He says he can't confirm the stage II diagnosis until he does the wide excision and is able to measure the remining cancer to see how deep and how wide it actually is. But, he feels confident it will be well within the margins for stage II.

I have my surgery on friday. I am having my lymph nodes tested at the same time. It adds time and pain to the procedure and he's pretty sure it's not necessary but, he's doing it for my peace of mind and I appreciate it.

I have to be put out for the surgery and I'm completely freaked out. I am not happy at all. But, he says he has to go deep and wide at the site and the lymph node biopsy can be pretty painful and he doesn't feel he can give me enough medicine to keep me pain free and since there are important nerves to consider, he doesn't want even a chance that I could flinch from pain so, I'm being put out.

My daughter's kindergarten graduation is on Friday at 4:30. I'm praying beyond all hope I'll be able to make it. I will be devastated if I can't be there.

Thank you again for all the kind words, support and prayers. You are some great women!
I am so happy to hear that your surgeon is on the ball! Best of luck to you on Friday. I will be thinking of you. I'm sure it will be a success and this will be a chapter you can put behind you and draw on to give others strength and peace of mind down the road.
#40 of 49 Old 05-27-2009, 04:07 AM

Quote:
They do have lower rates but when they DO get melanomas it is generally more serious

I think that is where the confusion is.

http://www.skincancerinfoline.com/sk...americans.html

I hope everything goes well amcal.

:

Not all those who wander are lost 
#41 of 49 Old 05-27-2009, 08:46 AM

Good luck. I suggest you ask you dr for a few vicodines (or whatever painkiller he recommends) and take it on Friday - this way you will make in to graduation. The surgery site might be still painful.
#42 of 49 Old 05-27-2009, 09:37 AM

Good luck OP, I hope all goes well and you have a quick recovery and heal completely.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#43 of 49 Old 05-27-2009, 09:50 AM

The surgeon visit sounds really positive. I'm hoping so much that everything goes well on Friday!!! And if you do miss the graduation, you can take your dd out for a really fun day over the weekend.
Quote:
Met with the Derm today. I think I need a new derm. I asked about mapping and I got 5 digital full body pictures taken - no close ups of anything, no notes taken about existing moles etc... I went in today for a more indepth body check and this one didn't take any longer than every other one I've have.
I would definitely find a new derm. I went through about three before I found one that seemed to be concerned enough to make me comfortable. At every visit, he measures and describes the "worst" looking moles and has his assistant/nurse write down the location and description. At subsequent visits, he re-measures and describes to see if there is any change.

I haven't done the mole mapping yet (my derm doesn't do it, unfortunately), but dh is going to start doing it at home for me. I have an acquaintance who has it done, and they do close-ups of some of the moles and keep them to compare progress and future visits.

But finding a good derm is hard, especially since so many are switching over to aesthetic dermatology.

Anyway, I am definitely thinking of you a lot! I hope everything goes well this week.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#44 of 49 Old 05-27-2009, 10:07 AM

amcal,

Good luck to you. I am so pleased to hear everything is moving forward rapidly. No time to waste. The surgeons attitude will have a positive impact on everything.

Healthy, healing vibes coming your way!
#45 of 49 Old 05-29-2009, 05:03 PM

How long will it be before they have your results?

Not all those who wander are lost 
#46 of 49 Old 05-30-2009, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers.

Had the surgery today. It went fairly easy (except for the 4 sticks to get the IV line )
I'm home and doing well. Struggling with pain not from the excision but from the lymph node biopsy area. Damn, that's painful. Vicodin is helping a bit but, this I did not expect.

But, everything went smoothly and I should have results in 7 - 10 days. Will keep you posted.

My deepest thanks again! I truly could fee the prayers and positive thoughts and I appreciate it so much!
#47 of 49 Old 05-30-2009, 09:26 AM

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#48 of 49 Old 05-30-2009, 10:50 AM

Consider some homeopathic Arnica Montana 30c as needed for pain, bruising, swelling, discomfort.

Pat

I have a blog.
#49 of 49 Old 05-30-2009, 11:00 AM

Amcal, I'm glad it went okay. I'm still thinking of you and praying for you!

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page