I have melanoma - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 05-22-2009, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have skin cancer. A melanoma was just discovered on my arm. They say it's stage II. I have an appointment with the surgeon on Tuesday and am waiting for an oncologist appointment.

Any experience, ideas, thoughts etc... would be tremendously appreciated.
#2 of 49 Old 05-22-2009, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No advice -- but couldn't read without sending good wishes your way.
#3 of 49 Old 05-22-2009, 04:40 PM

My aunt had really advanced cancer (not sure the stage). It was a very aggressive melanoma on her upper arm. She had surgery and has been fine.

My grandfather had skin cancer on his forehead when I was about 8. They removed it and grafted tissue from the back of his ear to his forehead. He lived until I was 20.

I don't have personal experience, but I thought it would help to hear something positive

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#4 of 49 Old 05-22-2009, 04:49 PM

No advice but (((hugs))) and thoughts going your way.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#5 of 49 Old 05-22-2009, 05:14 PM

My brother had one on his arm. He had surgery to remove it, they didn't have to do any skin grafts. I don't know what stage his was.

Good luck with the surgeon.
#6 of 49 Old 05-22-2009, 05:34 PM

I'm so sorry you have to go thru this!!

My best girl friend had melanoma when she was 28. She went thru treatment and is now clear of any and all disease. She's 35 now.

I know this is super scary. I was diagnosed with with CIN 3 / CIS 2 months ago and recently went thru a cone biopsy via the LEEP procedure. Not at all the same, I know but scary as well. My results came back with margins clear. I was very very worried and it was a nightmare. I say this in understanding, I guess.

You can beat this!

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#7 of 49 Old 05-22-2009, 05:42 PM

PS. If you would like to talk to my bff about what she went through, from a first hand perspective, she is very very sweet and easy to talk to, and if you private message me your email, I will give you her email address as well. <3

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#8 of 49 Old 05-22-2009, 05:43 PM

I am so sorry you are going through this! I was worried I had melanoma a few months ago- it is super scary, but thank goodness you caught it and I am sure you will be just fine- surgery should take care of it, and you can just be super vigilent about skin checks every 6 months.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#9 of 49 Old 05-22-2009, 05:46 PM

what did it look like? did you catch it yourself or was it at a dr. visit? do you have a picture?
#10 of 49 Old 05-22-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz View Post
what did it look like? did you catch it yourself or was it at a dr. visit? do you have a picture?
This is the scary part. I had a smallish sort of pinkish area on my arm. Really, it didn't look like much anything. It was slightly raised but really, it was only a shade or two different from my normal skin tone. But, at one point, it got a tiny head on it and peeled a tiny bit. Really, it was nothing. But, I've had several moles removed - all came back fine - but my Dr told me if I ever found anything new that I was to report it to him. So, I just casually mentioned it. He looked at it, said it was nothing but, to be safe, he biopsied it and it came back stage II melanoma.

When he called me this morning, he sounded stunned. He said clinically, it really didn't appear to be anything. If I hadn't pointed it out to him, he never would have given it a second glance.
#11 of 49 Old 05-23-2009, 12:10 AM

I'm so glad you found it!
My husband's friend had a very aggressive melanoma. I don't know the stage but it was the most aggressive type-nodular melanoma and I believe it had spread to a sentinel lymph node. Anyway, he did need chemo due to the spreading but he's doing really well several years out..no spreading to organs.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#12 of 49 Old 05-23-2009, 10:51 AM

I also know personally 2 people who are free and clear right now. However, one of them, my cousin in her 30's, got breast cancer 8 years later requiring both chemo and radiation.

I would take this opportunity to totally revise my diet and practice super nutrition
http://www.westonaprice.org/basics.html

Especially the oils there is some evidence that the highly unstable poly unsaturated fatty acids in vegetable fats (soy, corn, all restaurant fried foods subjected to high heat) are a cause of skin cancer
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/index.html
#13 of 49 Old 05-23-2009, 02:15 PM

Will come back, but check about food Folate, not folic acid. And Black seed (nigella sativa) oil. And whole food probiotics (homemade kefir) for immune support. Google those and cancer and PubMed and you'll find info.

Pat

I have a blog.
#14 of 49 Old 05-23-2009, 03:20 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#15 of 49 Old 05-23-2009, 03:28 PM

I'll be praying for you Michelle. How scary.

hh2.gif

#16 of 49 Old 05-23-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
This is the scary part. I had a smallish sort of pinkish area on my arm. Really, it didn't look like much anything. It was slightly raised but really, it was only a shade or two different from my normal skin tone. But, at one point, it got a tiny head on it and peeled a tiny bit. Really, it was nothing. But, I've had several moles removed - all came back fine - but my Dr told me if I ever found anything new that I was to report it to him. So, I just casually mentioned it. He looked at it, said it was nothing but, to be safe, he biopsied it and it came back stage II melanoma.

When he called me this morning, he sounded stunned. He said clinically, it really didn't appear to be anything. If I hadn't pointed it out to him, he never would have given it a second glance.
Just wanted to send you some positive thoughts; I know this has to be a scary time! I had a mole removed once out of fear of melanoma. It was huge and flat and multi-colored and had been slowly growing for a while. The PA stared at it forever; then the doc stared at it forever. They finally decided to remove the whole thing with a punch biopsy. The week wait was excruciating but it came back benign. Do you have a lot of moles? How long was this spot there?

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#17 of 49 Old 05-23-2009, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaingirl79 View Post
PS. If you would like to talk to my bff about what she went through, from a first hand perspective, she is very very sweet and easy to talk to, and if you private message me your email, I will give you her email address as well. <3
PMing you. Thank you!
#18 of 49 Old 05-23-2009, 11:15 PM

I hope that everything turn out to be fine. Stage 2 is very curable. You are lucky to get it out just in time. Hugs.

I also had 4 pinkish spots removed last year, they all ended up being abnormal and Dr also never suspected anything bad. He even said that he will do biopsy just to calm me down. I did not had any treatment, just a surgery... it was just a beginning of malignancy, however I had those spots for quate a few years. How big was your spot? How long did you have it?
#19 of 49 Old 05-24-2009, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thAttempt View Post
How big was your spot? How long did you have it?
This is the most terrifying thing. It was small. Really, it was barely even there. It was sort of a freckle that was a shade or two pinker than my skin and it was just slightly raised - sort of a cross between a mole and a freckle.

It was there maybe a month or two? Really, it was so minor, I didn't really even notice it until a few weeks ago it developed a pin sized head and peeled a tiny bit. That was the extent of it. Then it went right back to slightly raised and slightly pink.

If this was so minor and is stage II melanoma, it terrifies me that I may have other similar spots on my body that have just gone ignored because they're not really noticeable.
#20 of 49 Old 05-24-2009, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Will come back, but check about food Folate, not folic acid. And Black seed (nigella sativa) oil. And whole food probiotics (homemade kefir) for immune support. Google those and cancer and PubMed and you'll find info.

Pat
Thank you! I'm researching now. The black seed oil - is that taken internally?
#21 of 49 Old 05-24-2009, 01:47 AM

I also had melanoma. ABout 17 years ago. I believe mine was also stage II. I had to have it removed and tissue below and around it. I actually did it all in the doctors office (plastic surgeon). It was painful and scary initially, but I healed quickly and (knock on wood) no re-occurrence of this. I have a great scar on my outer left leg because of the size of the birth mark and the spreading of the melanoma. I tell people I was in a knife fight, just for fun. I am so not the type to have that history in my past.

I was seeing a dermatologist regularly for several years to get yearly checks, but I have slacked off. Now after reading your post, I will call next week and get in there.

I hope you have no complications... just get in there and get the melanoma out! Good luck. I will be thinking of you. Keep us posted.
#22 of 49 Old 05-24-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
Thank you! I'm researching now. The black seed oil - is that taken internally?
Yes, and the seeds sprinkled on salads.

Pat

I have a blog.
#23 of 49 Old 05-24-2009, 07:35 AM

Don't be scared. Here is my webpage on cancer. You can beat this. I watch it happen all the time.

Sagacious Mama - Cancer

I will upload the photos of skin cancers being cured topically. I also have pictures of my own moles being removed just with the same herbs. Even if it hasn't spread, you will still need internal work as your microflora will be completely messed up. All natural treatments or medical treatments all have one thing in common, and if you read my page, it will tell you what that is.

Chin up. This is NOTHING. Fight the good fight.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#24 of 49 Old 05-24-2009, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm View Post
Don't be scared. Here is my webpage on cancer. You can beat this. I watch it happen all the time.

Sagacious Mama - Cancer

I will upload the photos of skin cancers being cured topically. I also have pictures of my own moles being removed just with the same herbs. Even if it hasn't spread, you will still need internal work as your microflora will be completely messed up. All natural treatments or medical treatments all have one thing in common, and if you read my page, it will tell you what that is.

Chin up. This is NOTHING. Fight the good fight.
Thank you!

I've been reading through your site and the information on alkaline vs acidic diets is so intersting!

I was looking at the chart and I'm trying to understand. It says that
Quote:
alkaline forming foods include: most fruits, green vegetables, peas, beans, lentils, spices, herbs and seasonings, and seeds and nuts.
But then beans and lentils are listed under the "acidic foods" chart.

I think I need to do some more research but this is very interesting. Thank you
#25 of 49 Old 05-24-2009, 04:56 PM

My pleasure. I really need to finish the most important part, the treatment, which is kind of a mess right now. But there is enough info in the article itself that anyone can work the treatment out for themselves.

Thank you for pointing out the chart. Beans etc aren't usually alkaline forming. I will take another look. It is one of the few links I hurriedly googled, thinking most of those charts are the same. Sounds like I could find a better one.

My friend, 29, has lung cancer and she is having great success with the acid/alk food alone. She is also on chemo unfortunately, so it is a race against the clock in my opinion. However another person using my page with leukemia has updated me that they are not doing meds, just acid/alk and having great success. I have a new link actually, which I want to put on my page due to the amount of leukemia that is drawn to me. I will put it here, even though it isn't "relevant" (it really is though) and you can see the discoveries they are making on this "strange" link between antifungal meds and remissions (although also note they don't know what the heck is curing it ): http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAb...102246872.html

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#26 of 49 Old 05-25-2009, 09:12 PM

DH had a stage II spot removed a couple years ago. I had been begging him for about a year to get it checked. Our Family Doc said it was nothing (DH said). Well he finally went in; they biopsied and it came back stage II. It had not spread to anything else and DH just needs to be checked biannually now. He does have freckly skin...

Hugs mamma, I am sure you are scared!
#27 of 49 Old 05-26-2009, 09:54 AM

Another positive story: I have a friend who had a melanoma removed from her abdominal area about 12 years ago (she was about 23 at the time). They first removed the mole, tested it, found it to be melanoma, then removed a section of her abdominal flesh (or whatever it's called). She has a scar but nothing else now. It didn't spread and she's fine.

I am high risk for melanoma. Lots (hundreds) of moles, and lots of time spent in the sun when I was younger (unfortunately). I go every 6 months for a full-body mole scan.

I will be thinking of you! Please keep us updated if you can.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#28 of 49 Old 05-26-2009, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
I am high risk for melanoma. Lots (hundreds) of moles, and lots of time spent in the sun when I was younger (unfortunately). I go every 6 months for a full-body mole scan.
I thought melanomas were "hereditary", not "caused" by the sun?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#29 of 49 Old 05-26-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I thought melanomas were "hereditary", not "caused" by the sun?
I thought melenomas were caused by the sun. I have never heard it's hereditary. Melanin is hereditary, is that what you meant?

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#30 of 49 Old 05-26-2009, 11:22 AM

I want to thank you for posting this thread. This thread made me to make an appointment with my Dr. (I suppose to see him every year and as many of us I was postponing my exam). This treat is a reminder to all of us to get checked. Early detection can save lifes. Thank you again. And good luck to you one more time. Please post your updates.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page