4 months old & a rash that is getting worse - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2009, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Dr's are calling it eczema...but it started on his head (cradle cap) and spread to his forehead, down his face, then down his neck and finally the trunk of his body. His legs are not affected and his arms are mild. It has slowly gotten worse over the course of 2.5 months. His hair is falling out. It starts out as bumps and turns into raised, scaly, red patches. It oozes in some of the worse areas.

Pictures here...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...522008_web.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...522004_web.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...522006_web.jpg

Could this be...
1. Strep
2. Staph
3. Allergies
4. Eczema
5. Autoimmune
6. Liver issues
7. Hormonal issues
8. ??????????

PCOS & MTHFR Homo C677t: Progesterone, Lovenox, Methylfolate, Methylcobalamin, P-5-P :::: 10 years of combined TTC, one bio son, one son via adoption * 4 miscarriages, 2 adoption homestudies, 1 stillbirth daughter Aurora (12/11/2010),  rainbow1284.gif baby due July 15 2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 06:23 PM

It's not in the classic eczema places (arm pits, elbow and knee creases, cheeks...), but that's my best guess. And my next best guess is that it is food allergies/intollerances that are contributing. Are you breastfeeding? Have you eliminated anything from your diet?

ETA - why don't you spend some time reading on the allergies forum? You will also discover there that some mamas would consider the intollerances to be liver-related. (read the detox-guinea pig thread)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:29 PM

Those pictures jsut take my breath away. Poor baby!
I am on the allergy bandwagon. My DD had some intolerances and she was diagnosed with "the worst case of baby acne" the doc had ever seen. Yea, NOT acne at all.

Notice her left eye?
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...h/IMG_0226.jpg

I would start by eliminating the things you can test for. Has the rash bee ncultured at all? That would take care of # 1& 2 on your list. Also, if you are bf'ing I would seriously consider removing dairy and eggs from your diet. See if it makes any differance. Does he have any refulx or bowel issues?

Some other things that come to mind:
What kind of stuff do you wash him with? How often? What laundry soap do you use? Do you use different soap on his stuff than yours? What are your towels washed in? Do you have any mold issues in the bathroom or other areas?

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Are you breastfeeding? Have you eliminated anything from your diet?

ETA - why don't you spend some time reading on the allergies forum? You will also discover there that some mamas would consider the intollerances to be liver-related. (read the detox-guinea pig thread)
We adopted him at 3 months old (1.5 month ago)...very unexpectedly.

He has been on formula since birth...after pumping like crazy and taking herbs to no avail, I found out I was pregnant a week later.

Two weeks ago I found out there was no heartbeat and I am waiting for my body to m/c naturally now.

We were on donor breastmilk for a month and he had better days...but we can't control the donor breastmilk and we had zero luck finding a dairy free donor on milkshare or locally.

I will induce lactation once the miscarriage is over...the dom is on a shelf waiting for me.

I have spent a ton of time on the forums reading...nothing refers to babies who were adopted...very little info is available on formula.

We have requested liver testing and have been politely turned away. I will work harder at advocating that to my Dr's.

PCOS & MTHFR Homo C677t: Progesterone, Lovenox, Methylfolate, Methylcobalamin, P-5-P :::: 10 years of combined TTC, one bio son, one son via adoption * 4 miscarriages, 2 adoption homestudies, 1 stillbirth daughter Aurora (12/11/2010),  rainbow1284.gif baby due July 15 2012

Old 05-23-2009, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsboyko View Post
Has the rash bee ncultured at all? That would take care of # 1& 2 on your list. Also, if you are bf'ing I would seriously consider removing dairy and eggs from your diet. See if it makes any differance. Does he have any refulx or bowel issues?

Some other things that come to mind:
What kind of stuff do you wash him with? How often? What laundry soap do you use? Do you use different soap on his stuff than yours? What are your towels washed in? Do you have any mold issues in the bathroom or other areas?
How do they culture a rash? What does that tell you? I'm very interested in this!

He seems to have reflux, but it seems to have gotten much better with the Alimentum.

It doesn't appear to be topical at all. We wash him with Dr. Bronners Baby Mild (and have even taken a vacation from that and used no soap with de-chlorinated bath water). We launder everything with Restore...but we recently re-washed everything in plain baking soda and a second wash with just water. We have a mold free house. I am very sensitive to dust/mold/fragrances/soaps/deoderants/pets...everything.

We have scoured over EVERYTHING...with a very, very fine toothed comb. Unless he is allergic to water or air...we are at a loss. We just had 6 vials of blood drawn for various allergies including dust, mold, dander, fish, peanuts, dairy, soy, corn, etc. We have appointments coming up with a Pediatric Allergist and a Pediatric Dermatologist.

We really want to connect with someone with a similar experience...we need some emotional support and another set of eyes to help us brainstorm and rule out anything we can.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:26 AM

First of all, he is *gorgeous*. What a sweet face!

Alimentum powder has corn the ready to feed does not.... I think it would be worth a trial of the ready to feed only right now to see if that makes a difference. Is that all he is consuming? No additional vitamins?

Personally I would be making my own Weston Price formula if I had to do formula but I know that is not for everyone.

I would not use Restore, that has orange, correct? Any enzymes? Both of those ingredients would send my son's skin into rash city. We like All Free & Clear.

I highly recommend probiotics, a baby version with bifidobacterium. Look into biotin and c'mon over to post in the Allergies Forum, we have discussed babes like this many times before. What do you know about the birth mother's health? Has he been vaccinated and what other medical interventions has he received?

to you too, it must be hard to deal with the m/c and a very difficult baby.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Would it be possible to get this tread moved to the allergy forum or should I repost?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 AM

User Tag List