Acute Homeopathy Study Group thread - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 864 Old 03-11-2010, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
back again

so now Iam looking for a good book to help me along my path here. and more advice.....

I am trying to find a remedy for my DD but not having much luck.

quick history 2 years old has been constipated most of her life, would only poop after we gave her a stool softner, which we do not want to continue all the time, she will go weeks with out going, she loses her appetite, big belly etc...

she is a 2 year old happy kid very affectionate kid is only scrappy when her older sister gives her a hard time, she use to wake crying a lot at night but that has gotten better, she stays up late, she is afraid of the vacuum cleaner and loud trucks always wants the light on at night so i assume she hates the dark although that just started less then 6months ago... she not a real scary kid but she will shy away from certain people and will embrace others, i havent figured out why and what makees her do that.... i guess that is it for now any advice please.

we have tried sulfur but that didnt help.
#422 of 864 Old 03-11-2010, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
Hey there-update? I may be able to provide some insight/help-if you want you can email me.

Beyond that I take my remedy at 30C daily-twice if I'm struggling with illness or there are extenuating circumstances. It's not dramatic, but my life is completely different if I'm off it. For constitutional prescribing I am a HUGE fan of daily dosing. What I find is that after a week or two people report the same-nothing dramatic, but life is brighter, easier, more tolerable etc.

I think people with allergies sometimes need a twice daily dosage-but only if it's the right remedy.
I'm trying a month of acupuncture visits, sort of as a temporary boost to get me out of my slump, so I don't want to mess with too many things at once. I never considered 2x/day but I think it would've helped, I'll probably do it at the beginning of April and I'll definitely let you know how things go. I tried daily 30c dosing with DD as well, I should've considered 2x/day because while I think I saw improvements, it didn't seem as much as I expected--but not in a bad way, I'm describing this poorly.

DD seemed very pulsatilla for a while, which is very odd since it's really not her, but so many aspects fit, and while I saw some improvement with 1x/day, I think there's more to be had. I'll experiment with us a bit, I was a bit leery of overdoing it, just because I'm new to it, but if I have a bit of leeway, I'll watch and see what looks like it's most effective, and report back.
#423 of 864 Old 03-12-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoogs View Post
back again

so now Iam looking for a good book to help me along my path here. and more advice.....

I am trying to find a remedy for my DD but not having much luck.

quick history 2 years old has been constipated most of her life, would only poop after we gave her a stool softner, which we do not want to continue all the time, she will go weeks with out going, she loses her appetite, big belly etc...

she is a 2 year old happy kid very affectionate kid is only scrappy when her older sister gives her a hard time, she use to wake crying a lot at night but that has gotten better, she stays up late, she is afraid of the vacuum cleaner and loud trucks always wants the light on at night so i assume she hates the dark although that just started less then 6months ago... she not a real scary kid but she will shy away from certain people and will embrace others, i havent figured out why and what makees her do that.... i guess that is it for now any advice please.

we have tried sulfur but that didnt help.
not a homeopathic remedy, but i'd do a nutritional approach with magnesium (e.g., natural calm) until you are able to hone in on the appropriate remedy.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#424 of 864 Old 03-12-2010, 12:47 AM

i have read that too much can be dangerous, how would i know if my DD was indeed lacking magnesium, i seem to be more nervous giving that then miralax and why hasnt the ped mentioned something so simply to us, i just dont get them, our homeopath recommeded stramonium but i am not so comfortable with the either dont see how my dd fits that.... he feels she does after a 20 minute, not sure how he came up with that.
#425 of 864 Old 03-12-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoogs View Post
i have read that too much can be dangerous, how would i know if my DD was indeed lacking magnesium, i seem to be more nervous giving that then miralax and why hasnt the ped mentioned something so simply to us, i just dont get them, our homeopath recommeded stramonium but i am not so comfortable with the either dont see how my dd fits that.... he feels she does after a 20 minute, not sure how he came up with that.
Doctors unfortunately get next to NO training in nutrition. You can try giving a little magnesium at a time- once your body hits it's tolerance level, you will get diarrhea- so you'll have a very clear answer if you're giving too much. Most everyone is deficient in magnesium, so it's a pretty good place to start.

Have you tried the remedy the homeopath gave you? I think I would try that first before asking for advice on the internet for homeopathic remedies. (Not that there aren't some experts around here too, but they aren't always around to answer questions, and homeopathic remedies aren't always obvious to the untrained eye since they are designed to work on the whole being, not just one individual symptom- kwim?)

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#426 of 864 Old 03-12-2010, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

If you need more ideas to keep the stool regular this old post has many natural foods to include in his diet. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...e#post14390894

Pat

I have a blog.
#427 of 864 Old 03-13-2010, 12:35 PM

I don't know why I stopped getting updates from this thread. I'm trying to catch up now.

Mamamoogs, I'm not at all trying to be insensitive and I do hope it doesn't come across that way, but what are you concerned about? If you saw a practitioner that prescribed stramonium, why are you leery? I'm not saying it's the right remedy...I have no way of knowing that. However, more importantly you have no real way of NOT knowing that until you try.

Selecting a remedy is a science (for most.) It's not something you just throw out there on a whim. I'm willing to bet there were clues in the case history that pointed to stramonium. None of us are privy to that history and have no business overruling the person who does. This is a constitutional dose for a chronic problem which is very different than looking for a "constipation remedy" when you have a single acute episode. The homeopath is looking at what may have caused it in the first place, and why it's a pattern not the fact that it's an issue. It doesn't NEED to be all that pronounced in the remedy.

Beyond that unless you have an extensive library at your fingertips all you are looking at when you search it is most likely Boericke's simple and general materia medica online which is a fairly cursory and somewhat shallow snapshot of the remedies. It's also not designed to give specific info about pediatrics. And just to toss it out there since what you are looking at is a chronic situation just reading the remedies is not the way to choose one. That can just about never work. You *have* to repertorize it because so many remedies read very similarly, but their keynotes are rated differently. You can't tell that just looking at the MM.

All this to say, why not try the remedy your homeopath suggested? It seems like if homeopathy is the path you want to try then starting with the recommended prescription is the way to go. If there is any kind of negative reaction (which is generally a good thing if it's directly follows administration of a remedy) it will be gone fairly quickly and on top of that you have the ability to antidote it. I guess I'm just not sure why you are so hesitant-a few doses isn't going to damage anything or put you back at all. If anything, it will give you more information! You don't have to explain it to me, certainly, but I'm perplexed. Did you ever talk to your practitioner about your concerns? I think that would be very helpful for you!

I also second the magnesium. Much like with vitamin C you get very clear signs from your body when it's had enough. For kiddos, as with vitamin C I start with small, divided doses and watch. It generally works beautifully.
#428 of 864 Old 03-13-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I'm trying a month of acupuncture visits, sort of as a temporary boost to get me out of my slump, so I don't want to mess with too many things at once. I never considered 2x/day but I think it would've helped, I'll probably do it at the beginning of April and I'll definitely let you know how things go. I tried daily 30c dosing with DD as well, I should've considered 2x/day because while I think I saw improvements, it didn't seem as much as I expected--but not in a bad way, I'm describing this poorly.

DD seemed very pulsatilla for a while, which is very odd since it's really not her, but so many aspects fit, and while I saw some improvement with 1x/day, I think there's more to be had. I'll experiment with us a bit, I was a bit leery of overdoing it, just because I'm new to it, but if I have a bit of leeway, I'll watch and see what looks like it's most effective, and report back.
I've talked about this a ton but I'll say it again. I think remedies can only have real curative action if they are prescribed within the right miasm. That is necessary. It also virtually eliminates unnecessary aggravations. If you can confirm that your dominant miasm matches the action of calc carb I'd be more inclined to see you trying it out. Same for your dd-though kiddos can be harder to confirm. At least for me. Adults are much easier. As I said....email me. Let's see what we can come up with.
#429 of 864 Old 03-14-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
I don't know why I stopped getting updates from this thread. I'm trying to catch up now.

Mamamoogs, I'm not at all trying to be insensitive and I do hope it doesn't come across that way, but what are you concerned about? If you saw a practitioner that prescribed stramonium, why are you leery? I'm not saying it's the right remedy...I have no way of knowing that. However, more importantly you have no real way of NOT knowing that until you try.
Hi there,

thanks for taking the time to explain your thoughts, I guess I am just afraid of the unknown, I am new to homeopathy and have others that aren't question my practioners choice of remedies.... for some reason whenever i look up Stram i am unable to see how it is linked to constipation... i have questioned my practioner via his office manager and she assured me that he has recommended this remedy with my dd in mind and to go ahead and have her take it, but it was never really explained to me what it is and why it is a good choice. I am not real sure of my practioner but there arent manya round me and it took me forever to find him. We did try one remedy alreadyfor my dd (constipation) it was sulfur she took it a week and it did nothing, we tried kali-carb , (cough)cali- bich (sinusistis) again did not help at all any of us... So i guess I am becoming doubtful of my H and the fact i am shelling money out hand over fists and getting no results. I guess it all goes back to finding a practioner i feel i can believe in.
thanks for your advice!
#430 of 864 Old 03-14-2010, 02:07 PM

ah. well, sadly there are good and bad practitioners in any field, and beyond that there are good and bad fits for you even beyond that. For years I saw a phenomenal homeopath who is nationally recognized, highly regarded and brilliant. However he was not a good fit for me. We didn't communicate properly and though he helped my kids immensely I didn't get a ton of help.

Still, I got a lot of information working with him. I guess in your shoes I would give the remedy and see what happened. IF nothing did I may give the practitioner one last shot. As in even allopathic prescribing the first remedy isn't always the right fit, and sometimes the second one isn't either. That doesn't make the practitioner inferior...but he should be able to work with his mistakes to narrow down his choices.

I answered earlier that you aren't always going to find every aspect of the remedy online and, also that stramonium does indeed have suppressed stool as a rubric. And in my experience it can take 2 weeks on a remedy to really see major changes, especially at low doses. You are using a gentle method of administration, and the curative action will be equally as gentle.

If you are really concerned I would certainly question your practitioner. You are allowed to ask questions! Finding the right remedy can produce almost miraculous changes...it's finding it that is the tough part. I would suggest though that you think about trying the remedy so that you can give him appropriate feedback. Otherwise he's not likely to prescribe another and you are kinda just stuck where you are.
#431 of 864 Old 03-14-2010, 02:27 PM

mamamoogs: absolutely! ask questions! but from my reading, Stramonium does appear to fit your child - as Panserbjorne said, it does have difficult stool as a rubric but it also has fear of darkness as another rubric.

it could be that your practitioner hasn't mastered the art of teaching the patient. or perhaps you might consider more strongly emphasizing your desire to learn.

my practitioner (a quirky fellow) always always tells me what drives him to pick a remedy for my child. of course, he first does an osteopathic exam, some craniosacral therapy, and then recommends a homeopathic remedy to top things off.

it's not that he always tells patients the details - certainly it seems that my dh and i have vastly different interactions, with me getting more the teaching type of interaction, and dh getting more the directive "take one pill and call me in a week" sort of interaction.

my child struggled with constipation for a long time. we did a number of things: homeopathy, nutritional support (epsom salt baths, magnesium supplements), and a bedtime ritual, even while in diapers - pee, poop, pyjamas, brush teeth. the ritual really helped! ds is sometimes reluctant to sit on the toilet for long enough to have any movement, but he can ALWAYS be enticed with company in the bathroom and a story or two. i wish we had started that ritual a lot sooner than we did.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#432 of 864 Old 03-15-2010, 12:28 PM

I did it! I read through this ENTIRE thread...I sat her opened mouth shocked half the time...mostly amazed at the imformation you guys seems to be able to pull out of thin air! If I had a memory like that, well I don't know what but I wish I did. lol.
I am compeltely new to homeopathy, actually all I have ever done is give dd (3.5) hylands teething tabs as a baby (which worked the most amazing wonders). I have also tried borions congestion and stodal syrups to which unfortunatly I think we had no luck.
I feel very very strongly pulled to find out about homeopathy and to give it a try. I am 24 weeks preggers with our 2nd dd and well, I try to always follow my intuition and it has led me here!
Please forgive my compeletly clueless questions but we all have to start somewhere right?
Is there a certain brand of "remedies" that are more reccomended then others? I see Washington Homeopathics talked about often. Is hylands a good brand? Do remedies expire?
I see from looking online that remedies seem to come in strengths from 6x, 30x to some 200x (6x being weakest and 200x being strongest...??) is 30c the same as 30x??
What are some great books to begin understanding homeopathy?
And finally what is the best, most important advice to give a newbie?
Thank you guys so much for all this great information, I love watching some of you puzzle out the solutions to your lives in your post and am so inspired to see that yep some of us mess up sometimes but hey you can still move on and keep trying to do it right! Thank you!
#433 of 864 Old 03-15-2010, 04:57 PM

Hey there...just doing a fly by so feel free to ask more questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyprincess View Post
Is there a certain brand of "remedies" that are more reccomended then others? I see Washington Homeopathics talked about often. Is hylands a good brand? Do remedies expire?
It depends on many things really. I do have brands or companies that I prefer over others. I love bengal allen, best made, helios and seroyal. I like washington homeopathics. I will occasionally use boiron or hylands. They aren't my favorite. Remedies do not expire, and if cared for properly can last decades and beyond.

I see from looking online that remedies seem to come in strengths from 6x, 30x to some 200x (6x being weakest and 200x being strongest...??) is 30c the same as 30x??
x and c denote potency scale, and they are very different. IN terms of substance a 12X is the same as a 6C but they are not equal in terms of energy. Basically the x is a decimal scale, the c is a centesimal scale. X is diluted 1 part substance to 10 parts medium and c is 1 part substance to 100 parts medium. The higher numbers are more potent, but I wouldn't say they are stronger necessarily. The strongest potency is the one that's the most indicated, which is a confusing concept to be sure!

What are some great books to begin understanding homeopathy?
I like Practical Homeopathy by Vinton McCabe, and The Complete Homeopathy Handbook by Miranda Castro. Everybody's Guide to Homeopathic Medicine by Ullman and Cummings is good too. IF you are looking to understand theory rather than home use then my recommendations would be different.

And finally what is the best, most important advice to give a newbie?
Keep an open and inquisitive mind! See everything as a learning opportunity and try to understand the why's instead of dismissing any apparent failure. I think that's about it!
#434 of 864 Old 03-15-2010, 06:02 PM

This isn't so much an acute question, but is it ever appropriate to start with a lower potency and "work up" to a higher? I'm thinking of how you were describing before that the lower the potency, the more physical the manifestation and the higher the potency the more spiritual (or something like that).

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#435 of 864 Old 03-15-2010, 06:49 PM

"Remedies do not expire, and if cared for properly can last decades and beyond"
This is great to know. I was thinking of ordering a 100kit or making a similar of my own...then I was like omg, what will I do if this expires in a year!

"x and c denote potency scale, and they are very different. IN terms of substance a 12X is the same as a 6C but they are not equal in terms of energy. Basically the x is a decimal scale, the c is a centesimal scale. X is diluted 1 part substance to 10 parts medium and c is 1 part substance to 100 parts medium. The higher numbers are more potent, but I wouldn't say they are stronger necessarily. The strongest potency is the one that's the most indicated, which is a confusing concept to be sure!"
huh. ok...lemme see here, so for a newbie such as myself what would your reccomend starting with x or c (and I am sure there are more labelings out there that would do nothing but confuse me more....lol!)? I "get" the potency thing to a certain extent but I guess my next question echoces the last posters. Can you start small and move up or should any amount work if its going to work?
Panser I wish I could just come sit at your knee and learn all you have to teach!
#436 of 864 Old 03-15-2010, 08:50 PM

I would start with the C scale personally as that is my preference. And to answer both of you the way most homeopaths are taught is to start slow (lower potency) and work your way up. There are some exceptions in acute situations, but in general it is better to start low and move up the scale.

Most at home prescribers are going to be *slightly* limited in that you are less likely to have anything from the Q scale, the M scale, the CM scale etc. You are more likely to be working with X and C and even then 12's and 30's (in general.) You can get a 200C kit which I do think is helpful for acutes. The point being that often you are going to do better in repeating a mid range potency than worrying about moving up. Not always, but most of the time.

For the instances in which you need to move up it's REAL nice to have the option.

JR, one homeopath that I work with is highly influenced by the French masters and doesn't like to use high potencies at all. She feels they are a shock to the system. Her initial prescriptions are generally 6 or 7C's and she rarely even goes to 30C. She gets great results for even extreme pathology (she is a licensed doctor that specializes in environmental medicine and cancer.)
#437 of 864 Old 03-15-2010, 08:50 PM

I use the 30c potency for most things. I now have the 100 remedy kit from washington homeopathics which is mostly 30c and some 200c.

Many of us use Washington Homeopathics because they are in convenient travel cases not necessarily because they are the best remedies you can find. But to be clear- they are very good and I've had very good success with them.

And yes many of us would love to hang with Panser and soak up her knowledge. I don't think I'm the only one who has searched out her posts in the past to learn something new. We are all really grateful that she is willing to take the time to share her knowledge. I have paid her for her knowledge of flower essences and will finally pay her to help me get a constitutional remedy (once I stop dragging my feet). She is highly skilled.

Question: now that I have a 100 remedy kit, I'm looking for a book that encompasses those. The one I use only focuses on 60 remedies (I think). Any recs? I also think I am ready for a theory book.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#438 of 864 Old 03-15-2010, 08:59 PM

So my brain has been willing to think again for short periods of time.

I've begun to have more intuitive leanings about remedy selection recently. I've also done energy testing to confirm, but have also begun to see a problem and a remedy has come to my mind. Not all the time, but once in a while. I think my understanding of the bigger picture is getting better.

My oldest has this weird large warty/callous thing on the inside of his big toe. I tried Thuja with him one time in the past and then forgot. I energy tested again and got a huge yes, so I will focus on that again. There are a few pieces of Thuja that seem to work for him. I will keep on testing as the days go on.

I was looking at my kit and was pulled towards urtica ur for my youngest. I don't have a big description, just a brief cheat sheet for it. I got a huge helicopter yes for this so gave him some. I will keep on looking into it.

Any recs for pregnancy, birth, childhood books for homeopathy?

I've enjoyed acute prescribing for a year now, but am wanting to look deeper into all of this. Maybe it's time to do some miasma reading.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#439 of 864 Old 03-15-2010, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

M2S, here is a list of acute homeopathics for morning sickness.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...s#post12457990

Pat

I have a blog.
#440 of 864 Old 03-23-2010, 12:21 AM

Greetings!
I have been following this thread for quite a while, learning some, longing for the kits others have mentioned...

Anyway, we use homeopathics quite a bit, with much success for acute conditions and symptoms. Right now I am struggling to find a retailer who sells the borrelia nosode, 30C. I live in a Lyme endemic area and just tonight discovered a very engorged deer tick on my leg. I am mostly following the Lyme protocol in Stephen Buhner's book, Healing Lyme, so i will be adding a couple of herbs to my treatment as well.

So... any advice on where I can find the borrelia nosode?? I checked all the companies everyone recommended in the entire thread with no luck. And no, I don't work with any local homeopaths, unfortunately, so I don't think I can get it from them. Can't afford the costs of a visit.

Thanks!

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#441 of 864 Old 03-23-2010, 12:31 AM

I don't know if a nosode is different than a regular remedy, but Helios has borrelia:
https://www.helios.co.uk/cgi-bin/sto...orr&uid=554871

That's where I had to order my DD's remedy that was hard to find.

#442 of 864 Old 03-23-2010, 12:34 AM

Thanks. I did see that, and since I've never needed a nosode before, I am also unsure. Plus, I do not want to order anything from across the ocean if I can help it! I like to keep things as local as possible, even if "local" here means on the same continent.

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#443 of 864 Old 03-23-2010, 09:30 PM

So the good news is that the store Community Pharmacy in Madison, Wi (where I used to live) can ship one of the nosodes and the ledum I need. They're going to see if they can get the 60C I plan on using on my dog. Hooray! They are even in my state. Shipping is high, but I'll order some other things to make up for it. They have good bulk medicinal herbs, too.
http://www.communitypharmacy.coop/

rural mama to DD1 DD2
#444 of 864 Old 03-23-2010, 10:44 PM

DP just got a pretty decent burn on his finger (from the bbq)... Is there a remedy that would be good for me to get asap? Or if I don't get something tonight, is there something that would be good to give him tomorrow to help with healing? TIA!

#445 of 864 Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Homeopathic Cantharis.

Topically, honey, butter, coconut oil, calendula.

Pat

I have a blog.
#446 of 864 Old 03-23-2010, 10:55 PM

Thanks Pat!

#447 of 864 Old 03-24-2010, 10:08 AM

yup cantharis. I also do calendula succus topically or lavender oil-but it should be applied frequently. It can halt the damage to the tissue. I generally say to apply often at first, but usually after just a few applications the pain subsides. This is one oil that can be applied NEAT.
#448 of 864 Old 03-24-2010, 11:54 AM

Neat?

#449 of 864 Old 03-24-2010, 12:03 PM

directly on the skin-without diluting. HTH!
#450 of 864 Old 03-24-2010, 12:05 PM

Oh! Thanks!

Tags
Homeopathics , Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page