Acute Homeopathy Study Group thread - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 864 Old 04-25-2010, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son's foot is doing well. The doctor was actually surprised at how well he is doing. I think the remedies really helped, I alternated arnica and ruta. I think hypericum would have been good then too, but I think I probably missed the window for it. I have also been doing a liniment of Chinese herbs from the TCM practitioner.
#482 of 864 Old 04-25-2010, 08:04 AM

Well it was a rough few days where I kept hearing "my lip hurts" then "my throat hurts" then "my lip hurts". But she's fine now. She's not very stoic in bearing her pain.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#483 of 864 Old 04-25-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
My son's foot is doing well. The doctor was actually surprised at how well he is doing. I think the remedies really helped, I alternated arnica and ruta. I think hypericum would have been good then too, but I think I probably missed the window for it. I have also been doing a liniment of Chinese herbs from the TCM practitioner.
That's awesome.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#484 of 864 Old 04-26-2010, 01:01 AM

Hi Everyone,
It's late and I just found this thread. I wanted to tell my story to get some feedback. A few days ago, my dd who is 22 months woke up poorly, she's been teething and they seemed to be bothering her. I'd been giving her homeo teething tablets for some time. A mix of chamomilla, coffea cruda, & some other stuff at night and naps and straight chamomilla during the day. I gave her a dose and off she went (to play while I made oatmeal). 15 minutes later, while fastening her into her chair she grabbed her arm and started whining next thing I knew she was struggling to breathe going limp in her chair, sliding out of it, losing color. I got her out of the chair fast. Is she having a seizure, poisoned?? She's wimpering a bit, very limp, gagging. I opted for 911. I just carried her limp body and waited for the EMTs. They arrived in 15 mins. My dd did not react when these strangers grabbed her, only when they were taking her away in the ambulance w/out mommy did she start to cry. A test. THe crying was a good thing. Her chest and lungs were sluggish so they took us to the ER. On the way there, she rallied. I'd say the acute symptoms lasted 20-30 minutes. We were stuck at ER all day. The EMT's thought it was the Chamomilla on an empty stomach. The ER said poison controll says you can take a whole bottle and not exhibit the symptoms my dd had. I asked if they were asking about the herb or the homeo preparation? They ran EKG's, ECHO cardiograms, blood tests, temps and all were normal thankfully. Neurologists saw her. ALL the doctors said that the chamomilla could not cause her reaction. I think they're wrong. On an empty stomach couldn't it cause her reaction? I feel incredibly stupid that I OD'd my daughter with teething tabs. Can't wait for the bill. What do you guys think? I'm also scared to give it to her now. I feel safer giving her homeos than Tylenol with parabens. Help.

I did not read the whole thread. I'm sorry. I will when I have more time. Look forward to your feedback tomorrow. Thanks so much.
#485 of 864 Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwally View Post
Hi Everyone,
It's late and I just found this thread. I wanted to tell my story to get some feedback. A few days ago, my dd who is 22 months woke up poorly, she's been teething and they seemed to be bothering her. I'd been giving her homeo teething tablets for some time. A mix of chamomilla, coffea cruda, & some other stuff at night and naps and straight chamomilla during the day. I gave her a dose and off she went (to play while I made oatmeal). 15 minutes later, while fastening her into her chair she grabbed her arm and started whining next thing I knew she was struggling to breathe going limp in her chair, sliding out of it, losing color. I got her out of the chair fast. Is she having a seizure, poisoned?? She's wimpering a bit, very limp, gagging. I opted for 911. I just carried her limp body and waited for the EMTs. They arrived in 15 mins. My dd did not react when these strangers grabbed her, only when they were taking her away in the ambulance w/out mommy did she start to cry. A test. THe crying was a good thing. Her chest and lungs were sluggish so they took us to the ER. On the way there, she rallied. I'd say the acute symptoms lasted 20-30 minutes. We were stuck at ER all day. The EMT's thought it was the Chamomilla on an empty stomach. The ER said poison controll says you can take a whole bottle and not exhibit the symptoms my dd had. I asked if they were asking about the herb or the homeo preparation? They ran EKG's, ECHO cardiograms, blood tests, temps and all were normal thankfully. Neurologists saw her. ALL the doctors said that the chamomilla could not cause her reaction. I think they're wrong. On an empty stomach couldn't it cause her reaction? I feel incredibly stupid that I OD'd my daughter with teething tabs. Can't wait for the bill. What do you guys think? I'm also scared to give it to her now. I feel safer giving her homeos than Tylenol with parabens. Help.

I did not read the whole thread. I'm sorry. I will when I have more time. Look forward to your feedback tomorrow. Thanks so much.
My child once ate a whole bottle of a homeopathic remedy. When I called poison control they laughed and said not to worry. There was nothing in it to harm her. I think its unlikely that the homeopathic remedy caused the reaction. Were you giving her actual homepathics? Or were you giving her some other sort of mixture?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#486 of 864 Old 04-26-2010, 09:37 AM

In homeopathic preparation that just isn't possible. It's energetic, and as people have said (your doctors, poison control and Chlobo) there's nothing in there so even on an empty stomach the answer is no. There's isn't enough substance in an entire bottle of teething tabs to even register a slight change in blood chemistry. That's the beauty of homeopathy, it's why it's so safe and why it has so many skeptics. I will go out on a limb here with the other people you spoke with and say that you didn't OD your daughter on teething tabs. Not unless you had a case of them and even then the issue would be the sugar in them before it would be the actual remedy.

Chamomile on an empty stomach is different than chamomilla on an empty stomach. Which was it? Even chamomile in it's herbal form is fairly benign, but you can certainly be allergic to it and that *would* be an issue. Not the case with the homeopathic form.

I am very sorry you went through this and hope you find an answer. It's so hard to watch when your kiddo is sick, especially when you can't find the why. I hope that she is doing better today!
#487 of 864 Old 04-26-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Well it was a rough few days where I kept hearing "my lip hurts" then "my throat hurts" then "my lip hurts". But she's fine now. She's not very stoic in bearing her pain.
Holy cow! I can't believe I missed this! I'm hoping she's doing better and you made a great choice in terms of remedies.
#488 of 864 Old 04-26-2010, 10:26 AM

It was a boiron prep of chamomilla 6c, 5 pellets on an empty stomach first thing in the morning when the body is in 'super-absorb' mode???

I want to believe this was the cause because not knowing the cause is more frightening.

The chamomilla couldn't super-relax her and cause those symptoms?
#489 of 864 Old 04-26-2010, 10:45 AM

even in super absorb mode it's still energetic. Five pellets is unnecessary (I know it's on the label, but it's just so you go through the tubes faster. 1-2 will do it.) It's not like eating dairy on an empty stomach and reacting more than you would on a full stomach. There's no substance to speak of. And since homeopathics only work if they are indicated (unless totally abused and even then they have to be indicated) it's hard to get to that point. Even if you did it's not like being poisoned and once you stop the remedy the symptoms subside. That's not what you are talking about though. A good remedy can make you drowsy, but it's not going to slow or inhibit systems. Again, energy doesn't work that way.

I know, you'd rather have something to point to and say "x caused this" so you could not do "x" again and hopefully avoid a repeat episode. However, this just doesn't sound like your "x."
#490 of 864 Old 04-26-2010, 12:12 PM

I really appreciate your feedback. Of course it's nice to know that I may not have caused her spell, but not having the x is disconcerting.
I need to read this whole thread to understand homeo better. Thanks again.
#491 of 864 Old 04-26-2010, 01:43 PM

Did you all read about the "protest" against homeopathy in the UK which involved people standing in front of Boots (a pharmacy which sells homeopathic remedies) and taking whole bottles of remedies "to prove they do nothing"?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#492 of 864 Old 04-26-2010, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

What was the frequency with which you'd been giving the teething tablets?

When ds was quite young, I gave him homeopathic Chamomilla 30c frequently. In retrospect, I wonder if I ever caused a proving, since I just gave it "as needed" multiple times a day for days and days for months, off and on.

Pat

I have a blog.
#493 of 864 Old 04-26-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post

When ds was quite young, I gave him homeopathic Chamomilla 30c frequently. In retrospect, I wonder if I ever caused a proving, since I just gave it "as needed" multiple times a day for days and days for months, off and on.

Pat
and you certainly could have. but a proving of teething tabs wouldn't at all have included depressed systems that came on suddenly as was reported.
#494 of 864 Old 04-26-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post

Pat
I'd been giving the 6c Chamomilla as needed during the day, and a teething preparation at night that included other ingredients like Coffea cruda to help with restlessness. I need to learn more about homeo. because I don't know what a "proving" is.
#495 of 864 Old 05-09-2010, 10:11 PM

Hoping to get help for DS's acute flare-up of eczema. He is 14 mos and has had ecz. since birth (at ankles, behind knees and on arms). Dietary modification doesn't help (he is still bfing and does not drink cow's milk). We use mild soaps (if any) and natural lotions, straight shea butter, calendula-infused olive oil etc. The ecz is always there, but mild until this weekend. Been outside and in the grass lots. Now it's almost everywhere and spreading. DS never scratches or touches it--doesn't seem to bother him. He is a Lycodpodium by constitution and I gave him a constitutional dose of Lyco 200c about 3 weeks ago for flare up of the eczema among other symptoms. He only takes the 200 as needed, which is usually about every 3 months. Tonight I am desperate as his skin looks awful, awful. It isn't weeping and doesn't have scabs but what to do? We started probiotics regularly again (tonight) and I gave him a dose of Lycopodium 30c to buy me some time. Any help is so appreciated. Happy Mother's Day, mamas!
#496 of 864 Old 05-09-2010, 10:59 PM

are you certain his constitutional is lycopodium? Do you see positive changes with it? If so what are they? Does it help his eczema? Did it help this last time?

I tend to use low, daily doses. If lycopodium is continuing to work you could consider talking to your homeopath about changing dose and frequency of administration.
#497 of 864 Old 05-09-2010, 11:20 PM

He was dx Lycopodium by our homeopath when he was an infant and I agreed. Significant symptoms at that time were gas/bloating/tummy troubles not consistent with other typical remedies. [Tried the colocynthis and dioscorea for colic early with no success.] Paul Herscu's book confirmed for me the Lycopodium dx with things such as "wild nurser", fear of dark/crying when light turned off (he ALWAYS did this!), urogenital concerns (hypospadias/chordee), general personality (bossy, dictatorial), and the skin probs. These issues (besides the hypospadias of course) improved dramatically after the Lycopodium and I rarely repeat it. I did not, however, see dramatic change in eczema after the 200 dose three weeks ago. I hesitate to think his constitution would have changed, if you will, at such a young age. My understanding from my homeopath is one's constitution can change as you age, but more like a change when going from childhood to adulthood (or in other phases of life). I acknowledge the Lycopodium could have been incorrect from the beginning, but felt she chose accurately in all honesty...

Sounds like you are suggesting taking a 6 or 12x/c more regularly instead of the 200c every month or more? Thank you!
#498 of 864 Old 05-09-2010, 11:32 PM

Nope, not suggesting anything. Just sharing what I do.

As I'm sure you are aware there are MANY different ways of practicing, ways of prescribing, ways of seeing things. Even amongst "classical" homeopaths you'd be hard pressed to find a handful that all work the same way. I'm certainly not commenting on your homeopath at all, just saying that there are different ways of doing things.

I do daily dosing-usually with either 6 or 30C depending on the individual. I make sure the remedy is an excellent fit before I do so and have people check in fairly regularly-at least every month.

I do not believe in "pictures" or essence prescribing. Not because it doesn't work. I just have a different theoretical starting point, if you will. Some people do use that method and have great success. I think that different people will embrace different methods based on what they have an affinity for, and what they are able to utilize in practice. I am definitely more of a clinical practitioner. I look for pathology to improve at a rate that coincides with emotional/mental improvement. For *me* a remedy isn't working if the pathology isn't being touched, with all but a few exceptions.

Now, skin is a tough one as it's generally the last to heal. But I still would personally want to see improvement-some amelioration at least. Of course I don't know his history or yours and am not in any way advising you on what to do here, just sharing thoughts.

I daily dose for many reasons. Firstly to bypass obstacles to cure. Secondly to supply energy on a continual basis. Thirdly to prevent any shock or trauma from giving too much energy at once. However as I said the remedy
needs to be a good fit for that to work, otherwise an aggravation or proving is a possibility. If it's not you see that fairly quickly and then you need to know to stop.
#499 of 864 Old 05-10-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMarg View Post
Hoping to get help for DS's acute flare-up of eczema. He is 14 mos and has had ecz. since birth (at ankles, behind knees and on arms). Dietary modification doesn't help (he is still bfing and does not drink cow's milk). We use mild soaps (if any) and natural lotions, straight shea butter, calendula-infused olive oil etc. The ecz is always there, but mild until this weekend. Been outside and in the grass lots. Now it's almost everywhere and spreading. DS never scratches or touches it--doesn't seem to bother him. He is a Lycodpodium by constitution and I gave him a constitutional dose of Lyco 200c about 3 weeks ago for flare up of the eczema among other symptoms. He only takes the 200 as needed, which is usually about every 3 months. Tonight I am desperate as his skin looks awful, awful. It isn't weeping and doesn't have scabs but what to do? We started probiotics regularly again (tonight) and I gave him a dose of Lycopodium 30c to buy me some time. Any help is so appreciated. Happy Mother's Day, mamas!
Have you tried dietary modifications for yourself (assuming that you are the source for the breastmilk)?

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#500 of 864 Old 05-10-2010, 11:18 AM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! It is wonderful to learn all the different ideas for treatment out there, opening up more options for healing for everyone!

I tried dietary modifications when he was younger with no change, but it might be time for me to eliminate at least dairy again and go from there. Thank you!
#501 of 864 Old 05-10-2010, 11:22 AM

ah, and just for the sake of clarification this is a discussion of constitutional treatment...not acute. You wouldn't ever dose like that in an acute situation. Just wanted to be clear since this is an acute thread-don't want any miscommunication!
#502 of 864 Old 05-10-2010, 03:00 PM

My friend was just in a bad car accident. He is ok physically, but very shaken emotionally. I feel like I saw a recommendation for a remedy for acute trauma on here and now cannot find it.
Anyone know where I can find it or what remedy would serve him best?
TIA!
#503 of 864 Old 05-10-2010, 03:18 PM

aconite for shock and trauma. I'd also follow with arnica for any physical issues like bruising or strains.
#504 of 864 Old 05-10-2010, 04:03 PM

ah man Panser - you answered before me. That was one of the few things I could have answered myself.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#505 of 864 Old 05-10-2010, 04:07 PM

I'm not buying the "few" things. You have some pretty significant stores of knowledge in this particular department.
#506 of 864 Old 05-10-2010, 04:38 PM

Ha ha. That's what i was going to say. And that's about the extent of my knowledge. lol.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#507 of 864 Old 05-10-2010, 04:54 PM

ya'll don't give yourself enough credit.
#508 of 864 Old 05-14-2010, 09:23 AM

So I could use some help here.

This morning DD was playing ghost walking around in her sleeping bag. She fell and landed face first on the marble surrounding the fireplace. She has a weeping bruise on the outside of her face and inside she cut her lip pretty badly. We weren't able to tell if there was any other damage b/c she was carrying on too much. She has a tendency to be a bit dramatic so its hard to tell what real & what's drama. My husband didn't think it too bad so we sent her off to school. We initially gave her aconite/arnica/calendula internally.

Is there anything else we can do to help the mouth wound heal? Last time she cut her mouth she got a canker sore & complained about that for days. I'd like to prevent that this time if possible.

Any thoughts?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#509 of 864 Old 05-14-2010, 10:33 AM

My initial thoughts would be this (in order)

sangre de drago. Do you have any? This is amazing for wounds in general, but really excellent for things like the mouth. You can look into it, but it is sort of a latex-y sap from a tree that has pub med studies behind it's efficacy.

Honey would be my next go to. It's really great for wound healing and it's what I would do if I didn't have sangre de drago.

Along with honey I would do a calendula/hypericum lotion and just wash the area with it every two hours or so. I find that it's better directly on the wound than just as a remedy in situations like this.

Those are my first three thoughts! Hope your little one feels better.
#510 of 864 Old 05-14-2010, 12:54 PM

I used a calendula/hypericum wash on my very badly cut finger and it did a great job healing it. Is this the inside of her mouth? I wonder about the taste though.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.

Tags
Homeopathics , Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page