Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
have you tried euphrasia?
#542 of 864 Old 05-18-2010, 06:21 PM

No, I haven't tried it. I will look into it though. I want to put heat on my neck, that seem like that would help. It is rainy & cold out today, so that makes it worse! Anyway I asked DD if her neck is sore & she said yes!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#543 of 864 Old 05-18-2010, 06:29 PM

Cookie Pie I hope you feel better. I am sick right now with a nasty cold... started 2 days ago with sore throat and body aches. Last week DD had the Croup so I seem to have caught her virus. I wish croup wasn't so terrifying and I knew more about acute homeopathy. I would have felt more comfortable just treating her at home instead of bringing her in to MD. I did try some combination formulas like Hylands cold n cough or complete flu for kids to manage her fever/ sore throat but she was complaining of 'boo-boo' in her throat every 5 minutes (she's not really speaking much yet) and it's hard to tell if something is helping at this point. my poor baby, she was so frightened. it's so difficult to balance our fears of something going terribly wrong with our knowledge of the evils of some modern medicine practices.

Man I wish I could afford that top 100 remedies kit...

Mama to an IVF baby girl, Lennon Emelia, born 6/3/08! and the Junebug kitty... Missing the Jeddy and Ashes kitties
#544 of 864 Old 05-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Yeah me too! Anyone know if Arnica would help my neck?

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#545 of 864 Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 PM

love this thread!
arnica, if you can get it in ointment, it´s wonderful for soar anythings!! and if you take it, of course it´ll help
#546 of 864 Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 PM

Ok I just took arnica, but I thought it only really worked with injury related pains & strains. Is that true or not? I also have an arnica gel that I'll try.

#547 of 864 Old 05-19-2010, 10:31 AM

DS (14 months) started a deep, wet cough Sunday on the tail-end of DD's weekend stomach virus. Has post-nasal drip and sounds like there is a ton of mucous. No drainage from or blockage in nose. Started running fever last night. Cough is not severe, but comes in a group of coughs--e.g. last night from 3-4am. Today still has fever but never rose or worsened and cough remains wet, deep. DS has acted same as normal with tons of energy but this a.m. is much more low-key than normal. Any ideas? Thanks.
#548 of 864 Old 05-20-2010, 12:04 PM

So, since I can't afford the kits I want, I decided to just order a dozen or so of some single remedies that I'm likely to need, based on what I know about my family's patterns of illness. I'm guessing that I might never need some of the less popular remedies in the kits anyway so I bought larger amounts of the ones I think I'll use. Here's what I got, all in 30C:

ACONITUM NAPELLUS
BELLADONNA
HEPAR SULPHURIS CALCAREUM
KALI BICHROMICUM
LYCOPODIUM CLAVATUM
NUX VOMICA
PHOSPHORUS
PULSATILLA
SEPIA
VALERIANA OFFICINALIS

Plus I got a dropper of the Bach Rescue Remedy. I also wanted Spongia but they didn't have it so I'll pick it up at my local health food store.

I figure I may find that I need others once my daughter is old enough to verbally express what hurts her specifically enough, but these should get me started. I already have some others that I've picked up from stores over the years but I forget which ones.

I'm curious if any of the experts here can suggest others that are must-haves for a family with a toddler who thankfully do not get sick very often. Thanks for the help!

Mama to an IVF baby girl, Lennon Emelia, born 6/3/08! and the Junebug kitty... Missing the Jeddy and Ashes kitties
#549 of 864 Old 05-20-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

We ordered the top 100 kit from Washington Homeopathics, about a year ago. Here are the remedies we've used this past year on people and pets. Some are ones you chose, others you might consider:

30C:

Aconitum Nap
Arnica Montana
Arsenicum Alb
Belladonna
Calcarea Sulph
Cantharis
Euphrasia Off
Gelsemium Semp
Hypericum Perf
Ignatia Amara
Kali Carb
Lachesis Mutus
Ledum Pal
Lycopodium Clav
Natrum Mur
Nux Vomica
Pulsatilla
Rhus Tox
Sepia
Spongia Tosta
Sulphur
Symphytum Off
Thuja Occidentalis
Veratrum Album

200C: (these are just valuable to have on hand for more serious issues)
Aconitum Nap
Apis Mel
Arnica Montana
Arsenicum Alb
Belladonna
Cantharis
Carbo Vegetabilis
Chamomilla
Hypericum Perf

Here are the top dozen our homeopath suggested for acute first aid
:
Aconite
Arnica
Antimonium Tartaricum
Silica
Nux Vomica
Hypericum
Ruta
Rhus tox
Apis
Ledum
Catharis
Symphytum
Calendula

Hope that helps. It is only $1.70 each for the top 100; or $2.00 each for the top 50. Or $6+ each individually. For the cost of a dozen individual remedies, you could have the whole top 50 kit. It has been a huge resource for us, especially in the middle of the night or after stores close or early Sunday mornings, and for the pets too! Much cheaper than office co-pays, ER visits and veterinarian bills.

Pat

I have a blog.
#550 of 864 Old 05-20-2010, 02:28 PM

thanks so much for your response! I'm curious about your experience with using these on pets. We have one cat (lost 2 in the past 2 years due to old-age related kidney failure) who is only about 4 or 5 years old but who already needed surgery for bladder stones and we've only had her for about a year & a half. She's also a bit more aggressive with biting and scratching than I'd prefer she'd be and her behavior can be very unpredictable. Anything that would be recommended for her?

#551 of 864 Old 05-20-2010, 02:42 PM

Oh, and (sorry to monopolize the board) would anyone recommend taking the online course at hpathy.com?

#552 of 864 Old 05-22-2010, 06:57 PM

Up until now we have been a family with very little problems with poison ivy.

Up until my 7 year old had to poop in the woods. It's all over his bottom and is now popping up in the cleave (isn't that the fancy word for butt-crack??)
Poor boy. I think because of where it is the skin is rubbing raw. It's been going on for a couple of days, and I've decided to take the time and buckle now with it now.
Graphites seems to be the right remedy - we'll see. I ask if it helps and he is pretty neutral.

I also started giving him cell salts calc phos.

ALso, which seems to have helped the most - I am giving him a hypericum and calendula wash. I saw a big improvement overnight once, but it is sore looking again.

Anyone think I should be trying something else?

Max got a spider bite today. Gave him ledum two times plus a soak in a hyericum/calendula wash (we were gardening at the time and he was dirty). It really hurt for a while, but he seems to be better.

Oh and welcome all the new people. It is great to have new ideas and thoughts here.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#553 of 864 Old 05-22-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

We have a pet homeopath locally. We confer with her and follow her recommendations. I'm not well informed about treating pets, however.

Pat

I have a blog.
#554 of 864 Old 05-22-2010, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehairedwoman View Post
Oh, and (sorry to monopolize the board) would anyone recommend taking the online course at hpathy.com?
I couldn't locate an online course. The site has a TON of information for free!! We are going to make our own local pollen homeopathy next week.

Instructions are on the site!

Pat

I have a blog.
#555 of 864 Old 05-22-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
Up until now we have been a family with very little problems with poison ivy.

Up until my 7 year old had to poop in the woods. It's all over his bottom and is now popping up in the cleave (isn't that the fancy word for butt-crack??)
Poor boy. I think because of where it is the skin is rubbing raw. It's been going on for a couple of days, and I've decided to take the time and buckle now with it now.
Graphites seems to be the right remedy - we'll see. I ask if it helps and he is pretty neutral.

I also started giving him cell salts calc phos.

ALso, which seems to have helped the most - I am giving him a hypericum and calendula wash. I saw a big improvement overnight once, but it is sore looking again.

Anyone think I should be trying something else?

Max got a spider bite today. Gave him ledum two times plus a soak in a hyericum/calendula wash (we were gardening at the time and he was dirty). It really hurt for a while, but he seems to be better.

Oh and welcome all the new people. It is great to have new ideas and thoughts here.
For the bite I'd also use a poultice. I prefer clay, but mud would work too.

You can also use flower essences...I love cherry plum, crab apple, impatiens and vine for poison ivy.

Another remedy depends on how he's acting...rhus tox is generally a good one, but there are a handful of others that can be indicated based on how he's feeling, if he's super itchy, if he feels better in a warm bath/with warm applications vs cold etc.

FWIW I don't usually see rashes clear that quickly, but the people get relief so you do want to hear that he feels more comfortable...that's more important than how it looks.

Also make sure that you've gotten all the oils off his skin. Good luck!
#556 of 864 Old 05-22-2010, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

M2S, nothing helps poison ivy, ime. Scratching makes it worse.

Poison Ivy

We tried everything homeopathic and topical. Rhus Tox is indicated, I believe. We sprayed it on, pellets, too. Lidocaine spray helped but is very cold. Clearasil dried the rash more rapidly. Gross, but anything was better than steroids. Calamine helps some.

Here are some other topical alternatives to consider: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...s#post15146437

ETA: Elsewhere, a mom just recommended Domboro's solution for poison ivy relief. It is a fabulous product. Available at CVS, I believe.

Pat

I have a blog.
#557 of 864 Old 05-22-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
We have a pet homeopath locally. We confer with her and follow her recommendations. I'm not well informed about treating pets, however.

Pat
Pets are harder to prescribe for in general! IF you have a local vethom that would be a good investment!

I don't now anyone that has taken that course so I can't offer any insight. Sorry! I know that Jonathan Breslow (I think?) has a workbook, as does the NCH so that people can get their toes wet.

Pitcairn also has a book on homeopathy for animals that seems to be well regarded.
#558 of 864 Old 05-22-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
M2S, nothing helps poison ivy, ime. Scratching makes it worse.

Poison Ivy

We tried everything homeopathic and topical. Rhus Tox is indicated, I believe. We sprayed it on, pellets, too. Lidocaine spray helped but is very cold. Clearasil dried the rash more rapidly. Gross, but anything was better than steroids. Calamine helps some.

Here are some other topical alternatives to consider: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...s#post15146437Pat
epsom salt soaks will also dry it. Calendula topically as a wash is generally very helpful. the right remedy is a godsend in this situation though.
#559 of 864 Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 AM

Hi, I'm dropping in to see if anyone has any suggestions for me. I am currently going through a miscarriage. I was about 7 weeks along but it was a blighted ovum and the sac size was a little under 5 weeks. I knew things were bleak at around the 6 week mark. The bleeding started on Friday and was fairly light. Yesterday it was moderate. This morning I am getting gushes of blood and I was wondering if there are any remedies that can help the bleeding and help to make sure the miscarriage will be complete / everything expels from the uterus.

I did have an D&C after my second birth because at 1 week PP I was hemorrhaging and they had to clean out my uterus. I was hoping to avoid another D&C.
#560 of 864 Old 05-23-2010, 10:43 AM

lablover,
Firstly, I wanted to express my sympathies over what you are going through. I hope that you are doing as well as can be expected and have a good support system.

Unfortunately this is the kind of subject where you'd do best to seek individualized care in tandem with a medical model to accurately assess that things were progressing as they should. Remedies like silica have a reputation for helping to expel things, assisting the body in a natural process. Whether that's a good remedy for your situation I cannot say.

IN terms of bleeding, arnica, bellis p. and phosphorous can all be helpful in situations where there is excess blood loss. I would probably look at phosphorous first. Just be clear that this is not advice, they all have reputations for being used in this type of situation. If you are seeing more blood loss than you are comfortable with then you need to be seen by someone.

Unfortunately this is complicated by the fact that as there is a history this is likely deeper than an acute situation. It rather seems like an acute manifestation of a chronic issue. Someone who could look at the whole picture could get a better grasp of the situation and help you in a more specific way.

I wish you health and will be thinking of you.
#561 of 864 Old 05-23-2010, 11:19 AM

Thanks so much for your reply. I will try to get in to see a homeopath this week and will try the phosphorus to see if that helps. Phosphorus has worked for me in the past. I have an appt with the OB tomorrow for a follow up. I also have an acupuncturist. Do you have an opinion on whether homeopathy or acupuncture would be a better path in this situation?
#562 of 864 Old 05-23-2010, 11:25 AM

I think that it really just depends on what you respond better to. I know of cases where homeopathy was successfully used, because that's my world. I am sure that acupuncture is effective as well...I just don't have a lot of knowledge in that area.
#563 of 864 Old 05-23-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

I've had several friends who've been safely and effectively supported with miscarriages and retained placenta with professional homeopathic support, without invasive interventions medically.

I believe that acupuncture could be beneficial also. But, I'm more reluctant to do unknown herbs. In my experience, a classical homeopath could address core issues, as PB described.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Be sure to focus on nutrients also, magnesium and folate especially come to mind. I'm thinking that Epsom salt baths could feel soothing and relaxing also.

Pat

I have a blog.
#564 of 864 Old 05-23-2010, 01:00 PM

lablover - I'm sorry for your loss.

The poison ivy around here is improving. Lots of drying and less itching. I think a big part of it is the tincture wash. I am really impressed with that and am thankful it is in my health toolbox.
I still am getting a positive response from graphites. Reading through the graphites descriptions makes me think it will be useful for my oldest in other situations. He tends to get bottom itchy at night in bed when he is having a food reaction, and I think this will help.

#565 of 864 Old 05-23-2010, 01:24 PM

we can determine his color and see if it fits too....just sayin!
#566 of 864 Old 05-23-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
we can determine his color and see if it fits too....just sayin!

So I think a psychologist/homeopath/intuitive/flower essence practitioner would have a field day trying to identifying why or fix my major problem of dragging my feet about doing everything . . . such as finding a doc I like, washing the kitchen floor, sending a very patient lady face pictures of myself and my son, setting up a website for a few things, etc.

#567 of 864 Old 05-23-2010, 02:05 PM

oh that all gets explained.....
#568 of 864 Old 05-23-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post

So I think a psychologist/homeopath/intuitive/flower essence practitioner would have a field day trying to identifying why or fix my major problem of dragging my feet about doing everything . . . such as finding a doc I like, washing the kitchen floor, sending a very patient lady face pictures of myself and my son, setting up a website for a few things, etc.
Oh thank heavens it's not just me!!!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#569 of 864 Old 05-23-2010, 04:57 PM

Lablover, I'm so sorry about your loss. I hope you can get things resolved smoothly without anything too invasive.

So I have had this horrible neck pain for the past few days. At first I just thought I slept wrong or pulled it somehow but it would have gone away by now if that's what it was. I think I first noticed it on Thursday driving to work, and here we are on Sunday and it's still terribly painful. It's just on the right side but extends from the entire right side of my neck, down into my shoulder. It feels better after not moving, and Friday night my husband gave me a deep tissue massage that helped. Based on that I took some Bryonia yesterday and at first I thought it was helping but later on last night it hurt worse than it had been. I think I took some Arnica on Thursday when I first noticed it but I don't think that was the right remedy (obviously now I realize it wasn't since I'm still in pain). Any suggestions?

This is going to sound bizarre but I *think* I am getting this pain from giving DD her bath. She always moves down to the right side of the bathtub where I can't reach her, so I'm constantly pulling her over to the other end so I can continue washing her. I think it's been putting strain on my neck and shoulders. And it would make sense that it felt worse last night after I bathed her. Just throwing in that bit of detail in case that's helpful in any way.

ETA: Forgot to mention that DD & I just got over a cold virus that gave her Croup and me a nasty sore throat and sinus congestion.

#570 of 864 Old 05-24-2010, 07:49 AM

Can anyone help me out here. Last week DS started complaining of stomach aches. Sometimes it seemed like it was because he had to poop, other times not. On Thursday night he had a fever. By Friday he seemed fine. On Sunday he had watery diarrhea and he had it again this morning. He's my small fry and I cannot afford to have him lose weight. He is eating, although not that much.

Anyone think of a remedy I might be able to give to speed this along?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple

Tags
Homeopathics , Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page