Acute Homeopathy Study Group thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2009, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
Hey friend. I used homeopathy from birth with my kiddos. I administer orally. If you can talk more about Marius' experience it can be easier to nail it down. Here's a slight rundown of some common remedies which is by no means complete but may help:
If he's irritable, fussy, with one cheek red and the other pale and in a lot of pain chamomilla is a good choice. These kids tend to have trouble around 10-12 pm, usually over by 2 am. They are also sweaty kids when they are in bed.
If he's whiny and clingy and just wants to be held pulsatilla may be a better choice.
If he's feverish, flushed and his gums are inflamed and red, belladonna. Calc phos is a great remedy for difficult dentition. I would think of it when teething was happening later, or if there was a lot of vomiting. It also has "feeble digestion."
Coffea cruda has wakefulness starting at 2 or 3 am and tossing and turning thereafter. These babies, like chamomilla are irritable and sensitive to pain.

There isn't a "teething" remedy but there are usuals for teething. So basically just see what seems to fit his overall picture. You may not see him in any of these descriptions either (though I'm thinking coffea!) and in that case just post back. You can also try a combo remedy-the only problem there is that it's a lactose base and I can't recall if ya'll have dairy issues.
I'm thinking pulsatilla may be on order, for the most part. He's happy as a pea in a pod so long as he's held (and maybe walked) but the second he's put down, he's awake again and UNHAPPY, chewing and rooting. This lasts from about 6pm to 9pm then he sleeps until 12am, nurses and sleeps until 2am when he won't sleep unless he's held. And I know it's not just hunger because he gets mad if he actually nurses and gets a let down (well, he's been eating just fine, but after he's had his normal "meal") and is just as content with DH carrying him as with me (of course, it's usually me anyway but.. ).
We do have dairy issues, though I'm not sure if *he* does or just myself and DS1... Still haven't given a significant amount to DS2 to figure out if he does either, though it wouldn't surprise me. DH also has dairy issues so... I would put money on it being very likely.
So, I think I'll grab pulsatilla and coffea as a back-up in case the pulsatilla doesn't work. I'm so tired.
PB Thanks so much!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
104 degrees or miserable are my indicators to start *homeopathics*. We don't do Tylenol or Motrin.
Thanks for the links! I had read some of those threads, but I wasn't finding what I needed. I HATE doing Tylenol, and don't even own Motrin...the Tylenol was a last resort for me, as it was at 104.5 and not getting better, and I didn't have any homeopathics on hand that would have treated the fever. It's not something that I use regularly. In four years of parenting, I've probably used it three times, which might be a lot to some, but it doesn't seem like a lot to me, since it's something that I got as a child every.single.time I had a fever. I still don't like that I've ever had to use it, but that's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess.

Quote:
Ditto to that. Though I understand it can be scary! It can be hard to make that call yourself when the babe is so little. I've been using homeopathy since before I had kids so luckily I had a doctor I could call when things got dicey. By my third kiddo I no longer needed to make calls. I understood what to look for, what to do and how fast and effective the remedies were when they were chosen correctly. I think it takes time to get there, you know? don't beat yourself up for using OTC meds. Hopefully though next time you'll have a good idea of what to try. And in a pinch with a fever that high even if belladona isn't the remedy that is homeopathic to the case it can often buy time. It was a good catch that you DID make!

You can ignore the labels. They have to write something and what's on the label is true....but it's a teeny weeny tiny little itty bitty part of the picture. You are way better off with a good book or two. I have been using homeopathy as my primary form of medicine for over a decade and I couldnt' tell you what's on ANY of the tubes! However once you know the remedies they make sense in the context of the situation many times.
Yeah, I'm hoping that we can eventually get to the point where we're seeing a naturopath or homeopath. Right now, all we can afford is our chiro, and that's it. I am constantly wishing that I had another doctor to consult about this stuff!

It's good to know that I'm okay to ignore the labels. That was my feeling too, but then I started second guessing myself.

In the end, I didn't end up needing any of them. The fever only got back up to 102ish, and then went away on it's own for good. I'll be keeping the ones that I got around anyway, and I'll make sure to add Belladonna to my stash.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:59 AM

Hello everyone!

I've had some really awesome thing happening with me with regards to acute homeopathy. I don't have time to write now, but hope to add it in later tonight.

My question is about preventative homeopathy. My son's homeschooling center has kids with pink eye. I've kept him out the past two sessions. I just feel too lazy to deal with pink eye, plus I do childcare and if my boys get pink eye, I won't be able to watch those kids.
So do you think I could use homeopathy preventatively for pink eye? They are six hour sessions, with many opportunities for contagion.
If so, what would the recommended remedy be? I looked at pink eye in my book and there were so many choices, and I know that you pick your remedy depending on symptoms so I'm not sure if this will work.
ideas?

fyi: I am still nursing my 3.5 year old, but I have no milk that I can pump or manually remove from my breast, so I can't use that as a healer.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:15 PM

Personally, I probably would not use homeopathy preventatively for something like that. I know there are some times when there can be what I think is called a "genus epidemicus" that works for most people during an epidemic, but some homeopaths think that is not the ideal way to use it. It has been used that way though. I think even Hahnemann used belladonna prophylactically for scarlet fever, but even different areas required different remedies. Here's a link:

http://www.wholehealthnow.com/homeopathy_pro/wt10.html

I used homeopathy for pinkeye once before, and the remedies were pretty specific depending on certain characteristics, so I think it would be pretty hard to determine what is appropriate, how long to give it, etc. I personally would just keep him home until it passes if you don't think you can handle the possibility of getting pinkeye right now. It is very contagious, but you could also just use super-conscientious hand-washing and up things like immune support, vitamin C, etc.

I have also used colloidal silver in the eyes for it.

Good luck!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:38 PM

I'm pretty sure this is an awesome thread but I have no time to read thru it all- yet! I really need some help tho and appreciate any advice/info you may have.

I read a post today somewhere on this site(but I don't think it was posted today?) that mentioned using homeopathy for bronchial spasms that came on the tail end of H1N1 flu. My 16 yo is over the worst (fever gone ect) but has a cough (bronchial spasm) and was given an albuterol inhaler that neither my daughter or myself want her to use.

I started her on Phos and am waiting to see what it does but I don't see any real improvements yet. She had several remedies along the way during her flu this week with pyrogen helping the most with the horrid fever. I've never been so overwhelmed and scared!!

Sorry if I'm not making sense or if this isn't the right place for my post! I'm really tired but would be happy to supply more info. or re-post this elsewhere.
Thanks!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:18 PM

Hey there! Maybe you could write a bit about why you selected phosphorous? What made you decide on it? How long has she been taking it?

And yes, this is a great place to talk it through!
Old 10-22-2009, 11:02 PM

Thanks PB. I gave her 2 doses (30c) of phos. yesterday. I chose it based on her complaints of "discomfort" when she breathed in deeply. No pain, just a "constricted" or "tight" feeling in her chest. Discomfort is around (under) her sternum. She was drinking a lot of ice water. Not much info I know but the poor kid was quite "done" with my continuous questions over the course of 5 days!

I haven't seen any real improvement from the phos so I haven't continued. With the dx of "bronchial spasms", a for sure on the H1N1 flu and a couple new symptoms (or ones that she's actually sharing with me!) I need to take another look.

New info (might not be new but it's new to me): she gets a bit dizzy and sweaty when taking deep breaths (ie for the doc when listening to her lungs) not much appetite or energy (not surprised) no thirst today, stuffed up nose, no fever, sense of smell and taste diminished, unrefreshing sleep- she's tired after waking.

Same symptoms as yesterday: cough with constricted feeling in chest particularily under the sternum, some wheezing (on exhale)

She has an arrythmia (ventricular bigeminy) an extra heartbeat every other beat. dxed 2 years ago and benign. She's an athlete and plays competative sports and runs. The arrythmia goes away when she runs full tilt. Very bizarre but according to the pediatric cardiologist, safe.

Okay, my brain feels fried and I'm pretty sure I have left a ton out including coherant sentences! I appreciate the help and feel free to ask for clarification or more info.

I'm really hoping my other two don't get it but that's probably not realistic
Thanks again.
K
Old 11-03-2009, 07:52 PM

can we talk about headaches?
I've always had problems with headaches, and although they have decreased they are still a problem at least once a month. My last hold out for allopathic mess is for headaches.
I've had this one for about 24 hours.
I've tried a gemstone with little relief.
I'm currently trying Bryonia because of a small yes on my pendulum. I'm still in pain.
I know headaches can be tricky.
I'm not even sure what to look for in terms of symptoms/onset or I don't know.

I could use some guidance

Old 11-03-2009, 08:01 PM

I'd start with the quality of the pain, location, and what makes it worse or better.

If it happens monthly it may have a hormonal component too, which you wouldn't necessarily address acutely unless it was a female type remedy (pulsatilla, lachesis, sepia etc.)
Old 11-04-2009, 01:37 AM

That's interesting that you asked about headaches, I was just coming to ask here too. My ds (age 10) has never ever complained of a headache ever in his life. But he has one tonight, keeping him from falling asleep easily. It is on the left side, very close to his eye, and he describes the pain as going in from there, pressure. It also comes down in front of the eye to the front of the face, just beneath the eye. He says it feels kind of dizzy too. He didn't say *he* felt dizzy, just described the pain as being "dizzy". So I'm not sure exactly what that means. He says it makes him feel weird, "like I'm waiting for a train to arrive". The pain seems to be significant, with mostly pressure. I think he may be asleep now. I know he is overtired, as he has stayed up late watching the World Series with DH every night. Slept in some, but probably not quite enough to make up for the lost sleep.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:40 AM

ETA: I am hesitant to use a remedy on him, because the remedy he took from hte homeopath is having a significant positive effect.

Also, I gave him magnesium today, for the first time in a long time. Because he was really hyper and distracted and he needed to focus for something. But that was hours ago, like about 12 noon, and this started 10 hours later.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:41 AM

then I would ask the homeopath so you don't have to worry about antidoting. You could try cell salts (mag phos) or flower essences if that felt better to you. The magnesium was a great bet. I would also, if I were able have him visit the chiropractor. Adjustments can be wonderful. You can also use a compress on his neck, if he's willing. I love doing castor oil packs for headaches when there is a decrease in the flow of spinal fluid and things feel stuck, or if there is some dural torque.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I love doing castor oil packs for headaches when there is a decrease in the flow of spinal fluid and things feel stuck, or if there is some dural torque.
Thanks, PB! Where do you put the castor oil pack? On the neck?
Old 11-04-2009, 01:35 PM

I do, yes.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:39 PM

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:34 AM

My six year old woke up with croup tonight. Maybe I'm not giving it enough time, but nothing seems to be working.
What I don't understand is that my pendulum keeps on changing the remedy. First spongia, then aconite and finally belladona. Is this possible? Or am I clouding the response?
If it gets any worse we are going to the hospital.
I feel scared.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:15 AM

they all have rubrics for croup. They may have been needed in succession. Aconite is generally given at the onset and can be followed with either. It is *possible* that aconite given once (for the fear and rapid onset maybe?) would be followed by belladonna or spongia.

Generally classical homeopaths don't like to alternate remedies. HOWEVER I have absolutely seen in practice that it can allow you to dose more frequently without provings. In this case though I think it's more of an open the case with one and move to the next. Don't forget too that it is common (and was done this way commonly back in the day) to change remedies frequently as the patient moved through different states. Homeopaths used to sit at the bedside and dose every half hour or so. Don't be afraid to follow symptoms and change the remedy as needed.

Spongia and belladonna are both dry, spasmodic coughs that are worse at night. They are two I wouldn't think to alternate because they are very similar. If one was a dry cough and one was wet and he was moving between them that would be different. How did you ask the question? Because they'd both probably be good choices, but my guess is if you asked if one was better than the other you'd get a clearer answer.

How is he now? How are you?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:51 AM

He is better. It turned out to be bella to turn him around, and he ended up needing it every hour maybe. I was considering going to the er before it started working.

So this is what I think happened.

I tested spongia, which is his go-to breathing remedy. Nothing else was giving me a positive.
It didn't help either at all or much.
Then aconite, which seemed to be the same.
Then belladonna. He continued to test positive for spongia the entire time, I wonder if it was tipping off his regular lung stuff? I'm not sure. Or maybe it is related to what you wrote. Spongia was close to Bella, but not necessarily the best choice.

It makes sense that aconite would start it.

Poor little boy. It is scary not being able to breath. He is sleeping with dad now.

I'm still feeling rattled. I'm surprised that a 6.5 year old is still having croup. Last time he had croup his lips started turning a bit blue. I didn't make the right decision. I should have called an ambulance. Instead we drove manically to the er. Well actually it turned out it might have been the right decision because by the time we got to the er, the cold night air calmed his airways down.

What else can I do to help him? I was thinking a castor oil pack? How about wet sock therapy? The second night is often worse, so I'm a little worried, but I've never used remedies before, so we'll see.

It is not unusual for my pendulum to give me two in a row. I've been meaning to talk about this, but am too tired now. Will bring it up another time.

thank you it is a great comfort to have this thread.
I think I need to take some RR now, and maybe a good cry.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:32 PM

Mama, I'll come back in a bit with more info but right now YOU need aconite as well. Don't discount the fear and trauma for yourself in this situation. Much love.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
they all have rubrics for croup. They may have been needed in succession. Aconite is generally given at the onset and can be followed with either. It is *possible* that aconite given once (for the fear and rapid onset maybe?) would be followed by belladonna or spongia.

Generally classical homeopaths don't like to alternate remedies. HOWEVER I have absolutely seen in practice that it can allow you to dose more frequently without provings. In this case though I think it's more of an open the case with one and move to the next. Don't forget too that it is common (and was done this way commonly back in the day) to change remedies frequently as the patient moved through different states. Homeopaths used to sit at the bedside and dose every half hour or so. Don't be afraid to follow symptoms and change the remedy as needed.

Spongia and belladonna are both dry, spasmodic coughs that are worse at night. They are two I wouldn't think to alternate because they are very similar. If one was a dry cough and one was wet and he was moving between them that would be different. How did you ask the question? Because they'd both probably be good choices, but my guess is if you asked if one was better than the other you'd get a clearer answer.

How is he now? How are you?
Sorry, just had to comment on this.
This totally makes me wonder about my pediatrician (as in the ped I had as a child), who's an MD. He's old school. Still does house calls.

Anyway, I remember gran talking about him coming to the house with his little black bag and sitting through illnesses with my mom (yes, he's been practicing that long)... And I seem to remember him telling me not to discount homeopathy for DS1... Something along the lines of "In the old days, I'd have told you to give him <can't remember what remedy> for that. Now, I could give you <medication>."
He's also the one who came to see me when I had the only tick bite I remember. And I seem to remember my gran giving me "sugar pills" for the tick bite...
Just thought it was interesting.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 11-05-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
He is better. It turned out to be bella to turn him around, and he ended up needing it every hour maybe. I was considering going to the er before it started working.

So this is what I think happened.

I tested spongia, which is his go-to breathing remedy. Nothing else was giving me a positive.
It didn't help either at all or much.
Then aconite, which seemed to be the same.
Then belladonna. He continued to test positive for spongia the entire time, I wonder if it was tipping off his regular lung stuff? I'm not sure. Or maybe it is related to what you wrote. Spongia was close to Bella, but not necessarily the best choice.

It makes sense that aconite would start it.

Poor little boy. It is scary not being able to breath. He is sleeping with dad now.

I'm still feeling rattled. I'm surprised that a 6.5 year old is still having croup. Last time he had croup his lips started turning a bit blue. I didn't make the right decision. I should have called an ambulance. Instead we drove manically to the er. Well actually it turned out it might have been the right decision because by the time we got to the er, the cold night air calmed his airways down.

What else can I do to help him? I was thinking a castor oil pack? How about wet sock therapy? The second night is often worse, so I'm a little worried, but I've never used remedies before, so we'll see.

It is not unusual for my pendulum to give me two in a row. I've been meaning to talk about this, but am too tired now. Will bring it up another time.

thank you it is a great comfort to have this thread.
I think I need to take some RR now, and maybe a good cry.
M2S

Old 11-05-2009, 04:52 PM

thanks JR.

What a cool memory about your doctor. It's too bad those kind aren't around anymore.

We call them "sugar medicine".

Old 11-05-2009, 05:41 PM

They are few and far between to be sure. My doc growing up still did house calls. Same deal too, he was my parent's doctor when they were little (they met in high school!) His appointments always lasted an hour. You went into his office fully clothed for the first 45 minutes to chat. Then the check up in the exam room for about 15 minutes where he would focus on anything you had expressed concern for. It was very dignified. You didn't have to wait in a cold exam room in a gown. You were on his level in a cushy armchair hanging out talking about life. Not just physical aches and pains.

Anyway, M2S, a castor oil pack would be great. I would put some rosemary EO in it, or just boil rosemary and let him inhale it as well. If it were my kid I would give aconite again at the onset and start with belladonna afterwards since it fits and seemed to work. However I may consider dosing more frequently if it were needed.

Calming vibes to both of you!

JR...very cool about your doc!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:21 PM

Hello everyone. I wanted to report in about how last night went with croup.

Yesterday evening he started to sound a little congested and "throaty". Before bed, I had him breathe in rosemary steam and then did a caster oil pack. He really liked the caster oil pack. While he was "packing", I sat down and thought about a remedy for him. Aconite and bella were both "no's". I decided to look at cold remedies, thinking if I could control the cold it might help with the croup. Using my cheat sheet, I was guided to Gelsemium. I flipped over the cheat sheet to the brief description and it said "lethargy, flu, nervous anticipation of events." I teared up. Of course he was scared about the night. He knows how croup goes. This was an important lesson for me. I can use remedies to help with emotional issues. (Yesterday, I felt some interesting shifting in myself with aconite.)
Aconite and Bella were still no's. I cleaned up his skin and he cough a loose rattling cough and was physically unsettled. I thought again and Hepar sulph came up. He immediately become still and stopped coughing. Throughout the night I gave him Hepar sulph. The night went fairly well. He developed a mild fever, and I with his remedy.
As expected, because of the way croup presents itself, he is doing better this morning.
He tested positive for antimonium t for his cough this morning, and more gelsemium. I am switching back and forth.

One question I have is what should the frequency be when you are using two different remedies?

Old 11-06-2009, 01:32 PM

oh, goodness yes! I had to take my son to the dentist the other day (routine) and I am *terrified* of dentists. I mixed a flower remedy and put argentum nitricum and gelsemium into it (for anticipatory anxiety) and it helped me through even though I started into a panic attack. The have wonderful emotional applications!

Look at you go, mama. You really do have an affinity for homeopathy as well as a gift. I'm very impressed.

As far as frequency I still dose as needed. I don't ever do a routine unless it's something like arnica after a traumatic event. Even then the "routine" portion is only for the first few doses.

The nice thing about alternating is that it gives you more flexibility. So I would just watch the situation and apply remedies as needed.

I'm just terribly impressed also that even though the second night is often worse, you moved through it without any panic. Sounds like you were seeing results and gaining confidence!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:14 PM

thank you Elisabeth, that means a lot to me.

My next job is to work on my DH. He always become a total mean grump in the fall. Last night, during my epiphany, I realized I could work on him. Ignatia popped up. So we'll see if it works.

It terms of my own panic, I didn't mention that I also tested strongly for gels, so I took it also. I think that helped me too. Yesterday was an off day for me. Not much got done, the kids were a bit ignored. The stress was hard. Often during times of crisis I think "who in the world thought I could do this? I can't be the one making these decisions!" I frequently don't have those thoughts with homeopathy. I feel empowered, willing to question and experiment. Well, as long as my pendulum is working.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:07 AM

Check this out. I think this might be a cool connection.

All day today my 6 year old kept on needing gels. Remember last night I realized it was partially because of anticipating events. Today I really thought it was all about his head cold/croup. (We are visiting family this weekend and I want signs of a cold really decreased, so I really stayed on top of it.)

So tonight when DH was putting him to sleep, DS told him to turn off the lights. The lights were just too bright for getting to sleep. huh? This boy has needed the lights on, full bright, all night long, for a long time. I wonder if it was the gels that helped him out? Now this remedy is for anticipating events. I don't know what will happen when the event is actually happening. ie will he freak when he wakes up in the middle of the night with no lights on??

Old 11-07-2009, 12:09 PM

So....do tell! How did the night go?
Old 11-08-2009, 12:50 AM

I'll probably be more of a lurker at least for a while, reading as much as I can. I'm really wanting to get active in researching and using homeopathy as a means of treating the ails of my family-but I'm really in my infancy when it comes to my knowledge.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
So....do tell! How did the night go?
I'm just getting access to email now.

He went to sleep, woke up at some point, mildly scared, he called for DH. I peeked I. And all lights were off but the door was opened a crack with the bathroom light on.
That was the last night we've been at our place.
The first night at my mom's a light was left on as we settled down. I decided to turn it off since I thought there was enough ambient light. I turned off the light and he quietly and briefly whined and worried. I pointed out the light. He was fine and didn't panic the next night. Through the nights, he didn't have a chance to wake up and worry before "musical beds" happened because of my three year old. Will look out tonight.
Got my FEs today! WooHoo!

OT: we were visiting my three week old semi premie niece. I could tell she has ptt. She clicks while nursing, and is still falling asleep easily at breast. She has just gained back her birthweight. She is not giving clear loud signs of hunger, rather she tends to shut down (semi-sleep) when distressed or very hungry. Mom is not pushing nursing, rather both parents are trying other soothing methods. I briefly discussed tt and asked about the clicks (which mom confirmed). I told her to keep this in mind if the pedi becomes worried and pushes formula. She is defensive around me and I didn't want to push more.
Thanks for listening. I just wanted to share my concern.

Tags
Homeopathics , Health Healing
User Tag List