Acute Homeopathy Study Group thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2009, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Curious about acute homeopathy? Me too!

Add links or share stories about effective homeopathy. (debate and naysaying and doubting thomas challenges are not cool, thanks!)

If you are wondering 'How can that possibly work?' as I did, all I can say, is I trust MY OWN EYES more than "scientific research" which indicates it has worked.

Got a situation where you're wondering which acute remedies to consider, post your inquiry. No guarantees, just learn along with us.

Found this old thread: Homeopathic 1st Aid

Pat

I have a blog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 09:02 PM

I'm in!
Old 05-22-2009, 10:03 PM

Perfect timing!!

DP started having some eye pain last night and thought he scratched it. Went to the doctor today, turns out he had something in it. He has a bunch of drops and things... but he's in a decent amount of pain still. He took some arnica this morning and said it didn't help, but I thinking that's because it's more for muscles and things, no? Is there a better acute remedy for eye pain from an injury?

He describes the pain as a dry, burning- like when you have something stuck in your eye. Also some stabbing pains that come and go. His eye is sensitive to wind/air and light. Let me know if I need to ask any more specific questions.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:04 PM

I'm in!

My mum just let me borrow her "homeopathy bible" by Ambika Wauters.

I see an Nd whom I trust as well.

Can we start with the difference between an acute remedy and a constitutional remedy?
Old 05-22-2009, 10:21 PM

CS, is there still something in it? Is it a scratch or is something stuck in it? What does it look like? Does he want anything on it compress wise? Would he rather have cold or warmth?

I would personally do a wash with calendula and hypericum (1:10) in the eye.

Belladonna has redness associated with it, and heat. It will actually feel hot to the touch. Generally the eye will appear bloodshot and will tear. Pain will be throbbing in nature and light will aggravate. This is great for scratches to the cornea.

Euphrasia is another eye remedy. Lots of tearing here too...but here the tears burn. Eye feels as though there is sand or dust in it.

Apis is another to think about if hte eye is red and hot where cool brings relief. There will be lots of swelling and tears will be hot as well.

Those are the biggies that are easily accessible that involve scratches...most others are blunt trauma or eye strain, neither of which you described. However there are other remedies for later stages of scratches, but I doubt you are there yet. If something is still lodged in it...I may go a different route though.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
CS, is there still something in it? Is it a scratch or is something stuck in it? What does it look like? Does he want anything on it compress wise? Would he rather have cold or warmth?

I would personally do a wash with calendula and hypericum (1:10) in the eye.

Belladonna has redness associated with it, and heat. It will actually feel hot to the touch. Generally the eye will appear bloodshot and will tear. Pain will be throbbing in nature and light will aggravate. This is great for scratches to the cornea.

Euphrasia is another eye remedy. Lots of tearing here too...but here the tears burn. Eye feels as though there is sand or dust in it.

Apis is another to think about if hte eye is red and hot where cool brings relief. There will be lots of swelling and tears will be hot as well.

Those are the biggies that are easily accessible that involve scratches...most others are blunt trauma or eye strain, neither of which you described. However there are other remedies for later stages of scratches, but I doubt you are there yet. If something is still lodged in it...I may go a different route though.
There was something in it, but the doc pulled it out (said it looked like a little piece of plastic or something.)

He says that cold sounds like it would help, but he hasn't tried either. He's open to whatever (compress), but has already used the rx drops so really is just looking for pain relief I think.

The belladonna sounds closest to what he's describing, except he also has the feeling of sand in the eye like the euphrasia. And he says it's not a throbbing pain, it's more stabbing. His eye is definitely bloodshot. He said it felt hot to the touch, but I felt it and don't think it does... There is no swelling and the tears are not hot (bummer, because I actually have some apis here. ) hmmm....

I just looked again- the eye is not swollen at all. It is red and a little teary (not as much since he used the drops.) But he can't keep it open more than a couple seconds- he has to blink- because it's sensitive to the light and air.

I guess belladonna still sounds the closest. Maybe I will run get some. Should I go for the 30C?

Old 05-22-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmum View Post

Can we start with the difference between an acute remedy and a constitutional remedy?
To oversimplify....an acute remedy is for a condition that is quite new, and finite in nature. By strict definition (sorry, it's kinda harsh!) if you don't treat it it's either going to resolve on it's own or you are going to pass on. It doesn't drag on. If it does it has become chronic. In acute situations homeopathy can lessen the discomfort and hasten the recovery. Examples of acute situations are: injuries, colds, flus, food poisoning, bites, scrapes, migraines, cramps, contact rashes, extreme fright, shock etc. You can treat a chronic issue acutely, but it's not a great idea as that does tend to be suppressive.

A constitutional remedy is one that is designed to fit your entire being. It takes everything into account: family history, birth, early years, likes, dislikes, cravings, temperature, physical appearance, chronic ailments etc. Since it looks at all of who you are it should address almost everything that comes up. So, for instance under constitutional care you would just about always take your remedy first should an ailment surface. You would not look for an acute remedy for a cold, flu, migraine, digestive issues etc.

Acute remedies are almost always given in lower doses than constitutional remedies-though that will depend on the vital force of the individual as well as the primary concern. Some homeopaths will give lower potencies for primarily physical issues and higher potencies for emotional issues. There are many different ways of prescribing though so that is an over-generalization.

You can pretty easily and effectively find an acute remedy for yourself, but a constitutional remedy requires a trained homeopath. So for this thread we are looking primarily at acute ailments and ways of treating them (though they are often an indication of a chronic imbalance so if you find yourself treating often please find a practitioner.)

Something that might be super helpful would probably be talking about what remedies to have on hand and why. Some of us have kits, but for those just starting there are some that are must haves that you can experiment with and watch the magic yourself!
Old 05-23-2009, 12:07 AM

The last question in my last post leads me to another question...

The remedies that are easy to find locally (Boiron's) always come in 6C and 30C. When dealing with acute stuff, when do you use the different potencies? I always tend to get the 30C, but of course I have no idea if I actually should always be going for the more potent. Are there certain (acute) situations when you would choose one over the other?

Old 05-23-2009, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a couple basic questions, would love to have a bit of discussion at the beginning of the thread for newbies like me.

1--dosing for an acute remedy, any guidelines? I was confused about how often to dose my daughter's canker sores, the natrum muriaticum worked great, but at first I think I was using it too infrequently for fear of overdosing. But something like a goose egg on the head from a fall would be more frequent dosing than a canker sore, right?

2--good brands/companies, places to order, I know the stuff I've gotten at the HFS is not the best kind, though it worked. The ledum for the ant bites a while back helped noticeably (apis, my first guess, seemed to make them worse), thank you PB, it helped me feel like I was doing something to help the poor kid who had FIFTY ant bites on his hand.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:21 PM

Pb - the explanation about the differences was very helpful - thank you.

I definitely like the idea of a kit to have on hand. My Nd was going to sell some premade customized ones, but she hasn't made them yet.

I would like my kit to be designed for toddlers as my 1 year old will probably require it more than I will (not that I won't need anything, but want stuff ready for all his bumps, bruises and illnesses)

So far I have

- belladonna
-arnica
-camamilia
-ferrum phosphorus
- also have some homeopathic creams

I would also like to know dosing and potency guildlines to keep in mind. From the Homeopathy Bible, it recommends using the minimum dose to stimulate the vital force. The reason being is that too much medicine would cause the vital force to not have to work to restore balance, instead becoming dependent on the medicine to fix the problem.

Does this mean that 30c is too much at once though, or that you would just give 30c once instead of over a period of time? (is that a confusing question?)

For example, I have arnica for my little guy since he is the king of head bumps. I have a 6c dose. So he bumps his head, I give 6c. What do I look for to know whether to stop or give more?

Would a constitutional remedy ever have a use as an acute remedy?

I'm full of questions- this thread is great!
Old 05-23-2009, 01:48 PM

Subbing.
Going to post in Homeopathy support now though.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 05-23-2009, 02:11 PM

I'm holding back as I don't want to take over the thread! Pat! Come back!

Anyway, yes rule of thumb is ALWAYS minimum dose. However what that is will vary from person to person and even in one person will vary over time. It sounds like a simple directive, but it's not.

Will a constitutional remedy ever have a place as an acute? Do you mean will sulphur-a great constitutional-ever be used as an acute? Yes! Will YOUR constitutional ever be used as an acute for you? Perhaps.

IN terms of dosing-it's a hot topic, even amongst professionals. For acutes I tend to use 30C because it's a good middle of the road potency. I will occasionally use 12C as well, depending on the situation. How I dose depends on the nature of the situation for me. For a bump or bruise I throw the first dose in the mouth of the person and then put the rest in water. This changes the potency ever so slightly. I think in general it's good practice to not give the *same* potency over and over again so this sidesteps that. This way, if I succuss in between it's slightly different each time and gives the body the message to move forward with healing.

I tend to give a dose and wait unless I know it's not going to be enough. In an illness I give a dose and wait. How the person responds tells me what to do next. IF they burn through it fast I repeat. I think of this in terms of water on a hot day. If it's really sweltering out there and you are working hard (the person is in a crisis and seeking balance) then they will be drinking more water. When the water is gone the glass needs to be refilled. When a person's vital force is really working hard then more frequent dosing is needed. They "burn through" the remedy faster.

So if a child is teething and in pain, cranky, demanding, and screeching I'd give chamomilla at 30C. IF they totally chilled out and an hour later were screaming again they burned through it. Then I'd put it in water, shake it up with impact (on the palm of the hand is fine) and give a teaspoon. Then I'd watch. IF this lasted another 2 hours, I'd do it again. For me if this pattern went on for too long (more than a day) I'd up the potency to a 200C, given once and that should do it. The thing you don't want to do is give any remedy too often. IN this case the 200C would have been the minimum dose *if it corrected the problem.*

Remember that in homeopathy the minimum dose is a higher number. 30C is less than 6C even though it's action is deeper.

IN your example for the head bumps I use a higher potency, I administer it immediately and if the screaming doesn't stop right away I may dose again within the half hour. The way I was taught is that you can do this for up to 6 doses. Then back down. However you should see improvement long before those 6 doses are up.

Anyway these are my answers, but different schools of thought think of it in different ways and we all go on our personal experience too. Hopefully we can get some more mamas here to share!
Old 05-23-2009, 02:14 PM

my favorite place to go for remedies is Helios, but I have several kits by www.homeopathyworks.com that I adore. www.hahnemannlabs.com is also great. Tanya and CS, hopefully the previous post helped answer your other question?
Old 05-23-2009, 02:45 PM

That helped, yes.

One more question, I don't mean to direct all my questions at you, PB, and anyone else who's seen ups and downs, or seen how this has worked in their own situations, I'd love to hear it, but it's about the vital force, and my ability to evaluate it for me, and moreso for the kids.

I'll throw out my impression and expect several people to correct me. I get the impression that vital force can manifest in different ways, partly in ways that look just physical, not so strong if someone is getting sick very frequently, but also in terms of happiness and energy, vitality. At one end of the spectrum it seems clear, when you're basically happy with life and where you are and rarely ill, that would imply a strong vital force, wouldn't it? And weak vital force for the opposite. Am I totally off in my understanding of this?

I don't know how to apply this to my son, who's a darn cheerful, enthusiastic little person, but who gets (used to get? I can hope) sick an awful lot. Especially for trying to use acute homeopathy for him when he gets sick (vs, say, that goose egg on the head) it seems like I could do better if I understand this.

Anyone with thoughts on this vital force business, share.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

I just ordered the Top 100 Remedy Kit from Washington Homeopathics. They have it on sale through the end of the month! http://www.homeopathyworks.com/jshop...d=505&xSec=104

They have a fascinating and comprehensive "Flu Kit" also. http://www.homeopathyworks.com/jshop...=8308&xSec=104

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Washington Homeopathics also has the following premade kits:

Animal Rescue Remedy Kit Contains 18 Remedies in 1/2 dram vials. For any animal. Acon. 30c, Fear, shock; Apis 30c, Stings, allergic reaction; Arnica 30c, Shock, trauma; Arnica... $54.00

Birthing Remedy Kit Contains 18 Remedies in 1/2 dram vials. For just before, at labor, and right after birth. 30 c potency. Aconite 200c, Ant. Tart 30c, Arnica 200c, Arse... $54.00

Children's Remedy Kit Contains the twelve combinations: Children's Tonic, Colic, Constipation, Cough, Diarrhea, Earache, Fever, Hives, Insomnia, Motion Sickness, Teething, ... $48.00

Urgent Care Remedy Kit Eighteen 1/2 dram vials of 30X homeopathic medicines. Aconite, Apis, Arnica, Arsenicum, Belladonna, Cactus, Cantharis, Carbo V, Chamomilla, Cocculus, ... $54.00

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
I'm holding back as I don't want to take over the thread! Pat! Come back!
I'm clueless, almost. I'll post my cheat sheet and you can amend it. I'm wanting to make up an acute "First Aid" kit recommendation guidelines. But, I just saw that WH already has an Urgent Care kit premade!

I just need instructions, 'For this, give this'. Otherwise, I google and cross-reference. But, the MM just totally overwhelmed me.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I just ordered the Top 100 Remedy Kit from Washington Homeopathics. They have it on sale through the end of the month! http://www.homeopathyworks.com/jshop...d=505&xSec=104
Oh man... I should have asked for THAT for Mother's Day!

Old 05-23-2009, 04:55 PM

Pat, the 1/2 dram vials... are the remedies liquid or solid? I feel silly asking, but I'll do it anyway. And if you have any of their stuff on-hand, do you know anything about the sucrose/lactose issue for their stuff?
Old 05-23-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Pat, the 1/2 dram vials... are the remedies liquid or solid? I feel silly asking, but I'll do it anyway. And if you have any of their stuff on-hand, do you know anything about the sucrose/lactose issue for their stuff?
The Washington Homeopathics kit I received are slightly larger than "sand sized" pellets, not tablets. But, I stay out of the sucrose/lactose issue. I just have a mental block about remembering which has which.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:50 PM

Pellets are either almost all sucrose or all sucrose. Tablets are lactose.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:00 AM

I got one of the homeopathy kits that Pat mentioned earlier for my birthday. It has been a lot of fun learning about acute homeopathy and experiencing successes and sometimes no apparent physical responses. It is really amazing.

I struggle with repeat UTIs that responds well to andrographis. This time I decided to try homeopathy, partially because it is a lot cheaper than my Standard Process pills, and tastes a lot better.

I see great improvements for about a day and then it comes back. I am guessing that I maybe need to do more repeat doses before I start feeling it?

I also should add that my UTIs are really a chronic issue (always brought on by sugar consumption, or sometimes DTD). I know I should get a remedy. I am feeling ready for one, but again am dragging my feet.

I have the book Practical Homeopathy, and am enjoying it.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:34 PM

My 3 year old is having a lot of throat pain. We are not at home, so I don't have any of my comfort measures except for my homeopathy kit. At night he wakes up sounding phlemy and croupy - his cough is productive but tight. A few days ago, I had my kit open and he pulled out a vial and low and behold it was hepat sulph. I gave him some them and then gave him some last night and saw results.
Today my pendulum guided me to phytolacca. I'm not seeing results. He's really drooly because he doesn't like to swallow, no fever and an ok mood. His voice sound funny because his throat is swollen. I don't have my homeopathy book. And none of my regular herbal, nutrient help.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-30-2009, 09:21 PM

If you saw results from the Hepar sulph, go back to it. Don't leave a remedy until it stops working. Post an update if/when you give it! Hope he feels better soon!
Old 05-30-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
I see great improvements for about a day and then it comes back. I am guessing that I maybe need to do more repeat doses before I start feeling it?

I also should add that my UTIs are really a chronic issue (always brought on by sugar consumption, or sometimes DTD). I know I should get a remedy. I am feeling ready for one, but again am dragging my feet.

I have the book Practical Homeopathy, and am enjoying it.
What potency are you using? If this is a chronic issue, you will likely need a high potency.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:06 PM

I was thinking about that. I only have 30c at the moment but will order 200c. Is that the next one, or is there more inbetween?
I wanted to get some cell salts for my sons' teeth anyway so I can get everything at once.
Thank you barefootmama for both of your responses. It means a lot.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:33 PM

There are other potencies available, but it is most common to go from 30 to 200. You shouldn't have to take the 200 nearly as often.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2009, 10:59 AM

went back to using the first remedy last night before bed, and once again when he woke up around 11. He is MUCH better this morning. His voice sounds almost better, no drooling, reduced crankiness (although that wasn't too bad), more comfort with eating. He's not 100 percent. I gave him more this morning, and I think I will stop now and wait and see. What a strong example of the right remedy working.

Yesterday evening I had to run and catch him in the street because a car was coming. I hurt the arch of my foot. I took arnica right away and it didn't help. Last night was really hard walking. This morning was very difficult. I took rhus toxicodendron. I'm already feeling much better. Quite amazing. I think I will be able to go on our nature walk.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:16 AM

Powerful indeed! I hurt my foot maybe a year or two ago. I couldn't walk on it. When I touched it I could tell it was an issue with connective tissue so I alternated ruta and arnica. It was 100% better witihin a day. After some time I backed off because I had no more discomfort. Well, the pain came RIGHT back! SO I started back on again and it wasn't too long before I was 100%. Acute treatments can be absolutely amazing.

Last week I spoke to a friend who is no stranger to homeopathy. She had what she thought was possibly the flu that's been hyped in the media. She was nauseated and in extreme pain as well as being too weak to sit up on her own. That would be more tolerable if she didn't have 3 kiddos to deal with! She literally couldn't get out of bed. She described what was happening and I had her take pulsatilla 30C. Within an hour she was up and taking a shower. She needed a few more doses but it did clear it 100%. It is NOT her constitutional remedy, but a good acute treatment.

Also, it bears mentioning that what you look for in terms of improvement first is a better emotional state. I treated a nasty case of poison ivy a few weeks ago. I gave rhus tox as it was a great fit. I got a call the next morning from the person saying the rash was getting worse and that it wasn't working. I asked how she felt (previously she couldn't sleep because she was literally tearing through her skin) and she paused. She said it didn't itch anymore but now rash was spreading and oozing pus. I told her that she was improving-does it really matter if the rash spreads as the body is pushing it out if it no longer itches? Within a day it was notably better and the itching never returned. Pretty neat stuff. I did also support with flower essences which I do think makes a difference.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:10 PM

I want to learn more about this too With both pregnancies I had hyperemesis that I took a class C medication for. During the 2nd pregnancy I saw a homeopath and was able to completely get off medication and eat just fine. I've used a few remedies at home from the HFS with some success, but I'm drooling over the kits Pat posted.

:::

Tags
Homeopathics , Health Healing
User Tag List