Digestive Enzymes and Probiotics... how to take them effectively? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-25-2009, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am needing to be on hi-lipase digestive enzyme and probiotics as well right now. I'm wondering if one effects the other in any way. I have read they do. I try to eat some kind of yogurt daily, but on days I don't, I take a supplemental probiotic. I don't get many fermented foods as none I've tried to make have turned out.

Should I not take the digestive enzyme with my probiotics? How would you take them?

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#2 of 10 Old 05-25-2009, 01:12 PM

I take my probiotics on an empty stomach, either first thing when I wake up or right before bed. I take my enzymes with meals, honestly doesn't seem to make a difference if it's before, during, or after I eat. I hear lots of conflicting info about enzymes and probiotics but I figure they are protein so I don't want to waste them by taking them with enzymes.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#3 of 10 Old 05-25-2009, 10:03 PM

I do probiotics and an hour later enzymes with my kids. Enzymes are supposed to be taken at the start of meals. I do that except for times when probiotics are involved.
If I were in your shoes I'd put my $$ on labs (thyroid and parathyroid) instead of enzymes or probiotics at this point. But I know you're trying to feel better.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 10 Old 05-26-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

I found a DO that works on a sliding scale based on income!!! I'm going to see her soon. It is who my sister with Graves sees so she is aware of my history. I am so looking forward to getting well. Thank you for your concern and all of your help. I already had the enzymes and probiotics, so now I'm just trying to do anything that might be helpful until my appointment. :

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#5 of 10 Old 05-26-2009, 10:52 AM

Yay! I'm so thrilled you found someone to see. Make sure in addition to the thyroid you bring information about parathyroid from that site (check calcium--it should be in the 9's or less; 10's are too high no matter what the lab says and PTH levels).

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#6 of 10 Old 05-26-2009, 09:36 PM

What kind of enzymes are all of you giving your dc? Thanks!!

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#7 of 10 Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

I don't do digestive enzymes for DD1, but it probably wouldn't hurt since she has food allergies. I give her a chewable probiotic L. Reuteri.

#8 of 10 Old 06-16-2009, 04:14 PM

I haven't really done much research regarding probiotics taken in conjunction with digestive enzymes, but I would (and have) take both. Just try not to take them together. I take my probiotic in the morning before breakfast, and then digestive enzymes are to be taken with a meal. I would also say it would be a good idea to take a probiotic supplement every day instead of relying on yogurt (you'll get more live cultures this way). And make sure to find a decent probiotic, as some aren't very good in quality. I like the Kal Acidophilus Probiotic because it has multiple strains and is sure to give you many live microorganisms.
#9 of 10 Old 06-16-2009, 04:23 PM

Whole food probiotics more effectively remain viable until they reach the large intestine. Most bottled probiotics are denatured during transportation (ie. trucked across the country, shelf-life, heat damaged), and don't survive the stomach acid to make it to the gut.

Also, the regular consumption of probiotics alters the ph in the gut, which impacts which microbials can survive and reproduce there. By consuming whole food probiotics (proper ph medium for surviving until they reach the large intestine, more microbial balance, etc.), we create an environment which is less hospitable for pathological bacteria. Btw, antibiotics DAMAGE the gut microbial balance by killing off the beneficial bacteria, which often leads to candida overgrowth and disrupted gut ph, and thus fewer beneficial bacteria and more pathological bacteria repopulating the gut.

Here is an old post of mine about probiotics:

Quote:
Here is an informative article "Selection Criteria for Probiotics": http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=artBody;col1 Basically, most probiotics are not viable all the way to the gut, due to heat destruction during transportation and storage, acidity in the stomach, and low viability powders and capsules, and yogurts without billions of "Active Live Cultures".

This link discusses specific brands of different probiotics: http://www.usprobiotics.org/products.asp

Also, it is important to rotate probiotics otherwise "probiotic resistance" could develop, I've read. Don't use single strain probiotics exclusively; and DO rotate them every 4-7 days. The Probiotic Solution champions the "pulsing and rotating probiotics". http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...52/ai_n6112818

Sacchromyces boulardii is a "good" yeast which lives in the gut longer and displaces candida. It is in kombucha.

I prefer whole foods which are naturally cultured or fermented: kefir or yogurt from cow, goat, coconut, almond, hemp seed milk, etc. And fermented foods. Bubbies brand sauerkraut and dill pickles are easy to add to the diet. Plus, kombucha, which actually displaces and replaces candida albicans in the large intestines.
"Homemade yogurt that is fermented for 24 hours, will have an average concentration of 3 billion cfu/mL of yogurt. If you were to eat a small bowl (500 ml) of 24 hour fermented homemade yogurt, you would receive 1.5 trillion beneficial bacteria - 100 times more bacteria than a 15 billion capsule.

Furthermore, freshly made kefir can have an average microbial count as high as 10 billion cfu/ml. This includes a mixture of various bacteria and yeast strains. This means that a 500 ml glass of homemade kefir could contain as many as 5 trillion beneficial microorganisms or even more!"
http://www.healingcrow.com/ferfun/co...onspiracy.html

"Both kefir and yogurt are cultured milk products... ...but they contain different types of beneficial bacteria. Yogurt contains transient beneficial bacteria that keep the digestive system clean and provide food for the friendly bacteria that reside there. But kefir can actually colonize the intestinal tract, a feat that yogurt cannot match.

Kefir contains several major strains of friendly bacteria not commonly found in yogurt, Lactobacillus Caucasus, Leuconostoc, Acetobacter species, and Streptococcus species.

It also contains beneficial yeasts, such as Saccharomyces kefir and Torula kefir, which dominate, control and eliminate destructive pathogenic yeasts in the body. They do so by penetrating the mucosal lining where unhealthy yeast and bacteria reside, forming a virtual SWAT team that housecleans and strengthens the intestines. Hence, the body becomes more efficient in resisting such pathogens as E. coli and intestinal parasites.

Kefir's active yeast and bacteria provide more nutritive value than yogurt by helping digest the foods that you eat and by keeping the colon environment clean and healthy.

Because the curd size of kefir is smaller than yogurt, it is also easier to digest, which makes it a particularly excellent, nutritious food for babies, invalids and the elderly, as well as a remedy for digestive disorders."
http://www.kefir.net/kefiryogurt.htm

Basically, a tablespoon of yogurt with "Active Live Cultures" (or kefir) is much more effective at recolonizing the gut, than any probiotic capsule or powder.

Pat

I have a blog.
#10 of 10 Old 06-16-2009, 04:33 PM

Regarding enzymes, the key is adequate stomach acid. Cabbage, carrot juices are effective at improving stomach acid for digestion.

HCL is paramount in our digestive process. It begins the digestion of protein and stimulates the pancreas to produce digestive enzymes and bile. Without enough of these two substances, we cannot adequately digest or absorb carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.

You may also try a home remedy to supplement HCL. Mix one teaspoon of vinegar with water and drink this with each meal.
http://www.aim4health.com/stomachpains.htm

Bitter herbs - Some alternative practitioners say that bitter herbs may stimulate the secretion of stomach acid and digestive enzymes. Examples of bitter herbs are gentian and dandelion. They're often recommended in liquid vs. capsule form, because it's the bitterness that's thought to trigger the release of digestive juices. Another option is to buy a herbal tea containing bitter herbs and drink one cup before eating.

Chew thoroughly

Vitamin B complex - Some practitioners suggest an additional vitamin B complex.

Herbs - Grapefruit seed extract, garlic, oregano oil and enteric-coated peppermint oil are some supplements thought to help if there is bacterial overgrowth.
Probiotics

Ginger Tea - Ginger is thought to aid digestion and reduce bloating. In Ayurvedic medicine and traditional Chinese medicine, ginger is considered a digestive tonic.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/heal...hlorhydria.htm

Quote:
Digestive enzymes and HCl must be produced in adequate amounts to facilitate normal digestion. Too little HCl inhibits protein digestion and the absorption of vitamin C causes the destruction of vitamin B-complex factors and prevents essential calcium, iron and other minerals from being assimilated to the extent that anemia and bone fragility may develop.

A large variety of nutritional deficiencies may restrict the production of essential enzymes allowing putrefactive bacteria to multiply in tremendous amounts forming great quantities of stomach and intestinal gas. Further, a deficiency or absence of normal beneficial bacteria in the intestinal tract will allow propagation of gas-forming and disease and odor-forming bacteria.
http://www.eczema.net/hydrochloric.html

Pat

I have a blog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page