What is up with this ad from Clorox?? - Mothering Forums
Women's Health > What is up with this ad from Clorox??
jenP's Avatar jenP 03:22 AM 05-29-2009
So I was at my parent's last week and the only thing available for some bathroom reading was Star magazine. And I came across an ad for Clorox telling about more "surprising" uses for Clorox... like using it for your baby's bottle, pacifier, dishes, spoons, toys! They recommend using 1 TB Clorox per gallon of water, washing the item, the soaking for two minutes in the Clorox solution, then draining and allowing to air dry.
These are things that go in your baby's mouth and they are telling you to dip them in Clorox and NOT EVEN RINSE IT OFF!!!
I can't believe they are serious.
I can't even begin to imagine how horrible for a baby's health that would be. Ugh. How many parents might see that and think it would be a good and healthy thing to clean baby's things with Clorox?
It says "to learn more, visit cloroxbleachuses.com." I think I'll pass! Except maybe to contact them to register disapproval.

Jen

nameisrio's Avatar nameisrio 03:39 AM 05-29-2009
I saw that too...eww!
Mom2M's Avatar Mom2M 08:00 AM 05-29-2009
I saw it on TV and it was horrible! The images flashed back and forth from this big clear cup of clorox on the counter to soaking stuff to the baby holding stuff in its mouth! It almost gave the impression that she was giving him clorox to drink!
I don't know how they can do that,
Deb
mommy2maya's Avatar mommy2maya 08:19 AM 05-29-2009
It is actually a well known, and long used way to sanitize. I've worked at a few daycares while in college, and all used it, both for washing tables and toys and dishes.
Mal85's Avatar Mal85 12:49 PM 05-29-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
It is actually a well known, and long used way to sanitize. I've worked at a few daycares while in college, and all used it, both for washing tables and toys and dishes.
:

I know in my state, it's actually required that daycares sanitize toys, changing areas, eating areas, etc. with this solution.
2xy's Avatar 2xy 12:52 PM 05-29-2009
I worked in a pediatric office for a time, and we used that solution to spray down the toys that were in the waiting room.

I think it's probably on equal footing with swimming in a chlorinated pool.
lilbsmama's Avatar lilbsmama 12:54 PM 05-29-2009
I saw the same commercial and was appalled! Everybody I mentioned it to said it was trivial for me to be upset about this, but I can't help it. That is horrible!
sebarnes's Avatar sebarnes 01:04 PM 05-29-2009
My mom used to do something similar with the dishwater to wash dishes when we were sick. Yeah, it sounds gross, but it's not dangerous. Also, you put bleach in water that you are planning on storing for a long time (food storage, stockpiling) to keep it fresh and safe.
Ackray's Avatar Ackray 01:22 PM 05-29-2009
There's bleach in most dish washer detergents.
Up