THE Iodine Thread - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2009, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got some iodine, though there was no strength on the bottle. I e-mailed the company and got this response:
Lugol’s Iodine is an aqueous solution of Iodine and Potassium Iodide. It contains in 1 ml, 50 mg of Iodine and about 130 mg of total Iodine, free and combined.
I am nervous to start taking it myself because I dont want to be detoxing mercury into my breastmilk, but thought it would be a good idea to start my (almost) 13yo DS1 taking some and possibly 3yo DS2 and 1yo DD. Maybe just one drop for DS1 and half a drop for DS2 and DD each? i am planning to get zeolite powder, should I start giving that straight away or wait and see?

What is your opinion on iodine absorbing through the skin? I seem to have read conflicting opinions on this - sorry if you have posted this already - I have read so much that I cannot seem to recall what I read where anymore and couldn't find it on here now. From what I read it seemed as though that way your body would only take what it needs and there is less risk of detox side effects, or have I got it wrong? I did put a small amount on my inner arm yesterday and it dissappeared quite quickly.
I get crazy salt and sugar cravings so I would love to find a safe way to take it, would the zeolite help for that? OR would it still likely end up in my milk?

We are all taking all the supplements mentioned in this thread and several extras - feel like a junkie already from all the pills LOL

ANNIE - Crunchy WAHM to 2 boys & baby girl born 12July08 ~From contentment with little comes happiness â African Proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 11:59 AM

Sorry AnnieMarie that I don't have answers for your questions.

I came here to get input on iodoral dosing. i started the other day with 12.5 (1 pill- must be mgs? i dunno..) and I haven't felt anything from it. Should I increase? I've been taking sodium ascorbate, selenium, zinc, biotin, msm, a b complex, and drinking kombucha, kefir, and doing some fermented veggies everyday.

thanks in advance!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:07 PM

Really quite worrying. All the information we have at our finger tips and yet we're still in the dark about so many things.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:01 PM

My apologies since this doesn't have much to do with iodine, but I just read this article about coconut oil and its effects on thyroid function. I haven't started taking iodine yet, but I bought it along with the other slew of stuff to take along with it. I have an appt with my ND next week to follow up on my hypothyroid issues, and I'm going to talk to her about it. I bought coconut oil mainly to help my acne, but I was excited to read in the article that it also helps with thyroid and progesterone levels. :
Old 07-20-2009, 07:23 PM

Subbing to this thread so I can read through it all. Thanks for all this great information.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:35 AM

I want to start taking the Lugol's iodine as I feel that I could really benefit, but all of the mentions of the various other supplements many of you are taking has me concerned that it might be unwise for me to just take the iodine. What else is absolutely necessary? I'm on a tight budget.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieMarie View Post
I just got some iodine, though there was no strength on the bottle. I e-mailed the company and got this response:
Lugol’s Iodine is an aqueous solution of Iodine and Potassium Iodide. It contains in 1 ml, 50 mg of Iodine and about 130 mg of total Iodine, free and combined.
I am nervous to start taking it myself because I dont want to be detoxing mercury into my breastmilk, but thought it would be a good idea to start my (almost) 13yo DS1 taking some and possibly 3yo DS2 and 1yo DD. Maybe just one drop for DS1 and half a drop for DS2 and DD each? i am planning to get zeolite powder, should I start giving that straight away or wait and see?

What is your opinion on iodine absorbing through the skin? I seem to have read conflicting opinions on this - sorry if you have posted this already - I have read so much that I cannot seem to recall what I read where anymore and couldn't find it on here now. From what I read it seemed as though that way your body would only take what it needs and there is less risk of detox side effects, or have I got it wrong? I did put a small amount on my inner arm yesterday and it dissappeared quite quickly.
I get crazy salt and sugar cravings so I would love to find a safe way to take it, would the zeolite help for that? OR would it still likely end up in my milk?

We are all taking all the supplements mentioned in this thread and several extras - feel like a junkie already from all the pills LOL
Iodine itself goes through into breastmilk pretty directly proportionally to how much mom consumes (selenium does too). So that's a good thing for most of us, the big variable is how much it may mobilize in us, and that seems highly variable and not altogether predictable. And then you have to weigh the benefits of the iodine itself, being mineral-deficient, for both mom and babe, has risks. It's hard to evaluate, I don't have a good way to really judge. If you have a lot of other supps in place, there's less downside risk, though I'd keep monitoring the other supps. Maybe you'll need extra vitamin C (that happened to me for other things when I did stuff that mobilized toxins), maybe extra mag. And if you have weird stuff like you start smelling weird, that was a sign for me that I had more mobilized that I was really doing a great job excreting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouthead View Post
Sorry AnnieMarie that I don't have answers for your questions.

I came here to get input on iodoral dosing. i started the other day with 12.5 (1 pill- must be mgs? i dunno..) and I haven't felt anything from it. Should I increase? I've been taking sodium ascorbate, selenium, zinc, biotin, msm, a b complex, and drinking kombucha, kefir, and doing some fermented veggies everyday.

thanks in advance!
I'd probably give it a few weeks before going up in dosage. Kombucha, I'd say, is more of a mobilizer than an excretor (it can mobilize more than it gets out, but whether that's a problem that's highly dependent on toxic load) so if you have problems, I'd drop that and up the C, but otherwise, if you feel fine, keep going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortsmommy View Post
I want to start taking the Lugol's iodine as I feel that I could really benefit, but all of the mentions of the various other supplements many of you are taking has me concerned that it might be unwise for me to just take the iodine. What else is absolutely necessary? I'm on a tight budget.
I think it depends on your situation. Feel really bad, or if you're pregnant/nursing, more care needs to be taken. Just a bit tired, not feeling great, and you can deal with the possibility of feeling icky for a week or so, then maybe you don't need to take anything. Some of it's luck--I am on the fairly-messed-up end of the spectrum, but I got lucky, no bad effects from iodine (started with 1 Iodoral). So if you can tolerate playing around a bit, do that and see how it goes.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:48 PM

thanks tanya!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:37 AM

I'm slowly working my way through this thread so I don't know if this has been addressed yet or not, but I'm trying to figure out why I don't menstruate. I've had only a handful of periods on my own in my life (I'm 38) and after a lifetime of dealing with doctors who didn't seem to care about my issue I'm seeing a wonderful endo. After an MRI showed no problems with my pituitary gland, though, she seems kind of stuck and wants me to start on estrogen & progesterone.

My mother and older sister are both hypothyroid, though my numbers are in the "normal" range. In addition my mom had a nodule on her thyroid (I think I'm remembering this correctly) in the 1970's or so. I'm her fourth child, and I'm aware that stores of nutrients (or lack thereof) are passed down from one's parents, particularly the mother.

Could this be my issue? Anyone come across any information related to this problem and iodine in their research?

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Iodine itself goes through into breastmilk pretty directly proportionally to how much mom consumes (selenium does too). So that's a good thing for most of us, the big variable is how much it may mobilize in us, and that seems highly variable and not altogether predictable. And then you have to weigh the benefits of the iodine itself, being mineral-deficient, for both mom and babe, has risks. It's hard to evaluate, I don't have a good way to really judge. If you have a lot of other supps in place, there's less downside risk, though I'd keep monitoring the other supps. Maybe you'll need extra vitamin C (that happened to me for other things when I did stuff that mobilized toxins), maybe extra mag. And if you have weird stuff like you start smelling weird, that was a sign for me that I had more mobilized that I was really doing a great job excreting.
Looks like I need to up my Vit C and mag some more am taking about 4000-5000mg vit C part of that is a fizzy powder and part is slow release tablets, and 4010mg mag (though that only gives 648mg elemental mag). I have noticed I smell kind of sweaty - which is unusual for me even in summer - and it is winter here :. That is without adding oral iodine to the mix (I put some on my inner arm about twice a week). I am going to do the vit C flush this weekend and just take things really slow with the iodine until my body is better able to cope. For my 12yoDS I figure I will do the Vit C flush as well and then start him on iodine.
Tanya just also want to say thank you for all your input, I would be totally lost without all the wonderful help I have received on this forum, specially from you. I hope I will be able to help other mama's in the future from what we do and learn now.

ANNIE - Crunchy WAHM to 2 boys & baby girl born 12July08 ~From contentment with little comes happiness â African Proverb
Old 07-23-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyRev View Post
My apologies since this doesn't have much to do with iodine, but I just read this article about coconut oil and its effects on thyroid function. I haven't started taking iodine yet, but I bought it along with the other slew of stuff to take along with it. I have an appt with my ND next week to follow up on my hypothyroid issues, and I'm going to talk to her about it. I bought coconut oil mainly to help my acne, but I was excited to read in the article that it also helps with thyroid and progesterone levels. :
Yes it's great for thyroid plus many other things. make sure it's organic virgin CO
Old 07-23-2009, 06:01 PM

I have some things to report.

First I got the Brownstein book yesterday and if you are on the fence about it, get it! So much good info in there. Now I understand why testing is necessary although I don't think there is anything wrong with going ahead and getting started on the iodine if you are reasonably sure you are low. I'm only part way through but now I'm wondering about getting my ADHD dd tested for hypothyroidism. (I skipped around and read some stuff at the end first. My own ADHD is showing.) And I learned a sign of hypothyroidisim I hadn't ever heard before. Puffy around the eyes. I've been looking at my toddler a lot lately wondering why her eyes look red and puffy all the time. Now I might know.

Took my 1 year old to the naturopath in our FP's office to get some cranial work done on her today and talked about iodine. She's a big fan. Long story short we discussed testing my lo's for hypothyroidism and decided to hold off and see if we can fix them with iodine. We're doing the iodine loading test on the 1 year old this weekend. I've got those sticky bags to put on her to catch her pee. Hope she doesn't hate it too much.

I feel like we are moving in the right direction and iodine is central to it all.

So did I mention on this thread or another one that hypothyroidism is connected to low gastrin. Low gastrin can cause reflux (gastrin causes your sphincters in your stomach to open and close. It also triggers stomach acid formation.) I don't know why hypothyroidism causes low gastrin but it seems to be pretty common knowledge that they are connected.

If your gastrin is too high/doesn't fall you end up with a motility issue. Your stomach doesn't empty because the sphincter doesn't open. This can cause reflux when your stomach gets over full. We think this is what is happening with my LO right now. If you have too little gastrin you will have reflux because the sphincter on the top doesn't close properly and acid can splash up. Also you may have fast motility and lots of undigested foods passing through your system both because the sphincters aren't closing and because you aren't making much acid to do the first job of breaking food down.

: I love figuring things out.

For now I'm massaging stomach 36 (I think that is the right number, it is right below the knee on the front) on dd to help get her stomach working better, testing her iodine, and giving her a homeopathc pancreas/metoric iron. Also if we still have issues I may try giving her an antacid 2 hours after a meal to see if dropping her stomach acid levels may trigger her lower sphincter to open and get things moving along.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Old 07-23-2009, 06:08 PM

. Puffy around the eyes. I've been looking at my toddler a lot lately wondering why her eyes look red and puffy all the time. Now I might know.

OMG!!! DD's eyes are puffy like she has constant bags under her eyes does that mean it's her thyroid? The puffiness has ALWAYS bothered me. I've done research and could find nothing but allergy shiners which her eyes don't really look exactly like that. I don't know what to think right now
I pray it's not a symptom of her thyroid
Old 07-23-2009, 09:37 PM

Re: puffy eyes -- I think I had them as a kid. It's hard for me to tell from photos, but it looks like I had bags under my eyes. Not really "shiners" but bags.

I was thinking about my post above where I mentioned have amennorhea. I said I didn't really have any other symptoms, and that's not quite true. I have LOTS of other symptoms -- they're just not big enough for any doctor to take notice. I have really heavy, achey lower legs. I'm prone to acne (especially if eating sugar & grains). I crave sugar & grains. I feel like I have brain fog -- say the wrong thing, have trouble remembering words, etc. I get light-headed sometimes. I feel weak and when I try to exercise it totally wipes me out. I'm tired pretty much all the time. I am always freezing in winter. My voice gets really hoarse if I talk for even more than a few sentences. I get run down really easily.

The severity of these symptoms ebbs & wanes, and when I feel like hell I just think I need to start eating better & take my supplements (vitamins & minerals & CLO). But I never get my period back and I never feel GREAT...just better. I wonder if I've ever really felt normal, or just defined a normal for myself?

I was on Armour for a while and my tendency to be cold seemed like it went away, but it did nothing for my other symptoms. My endo has me off of it for now so she can test my thyroid next month. I really want to try iodine but my doctor is pretty mainstream, so I'm sure she won't be on board with that...not that that would stop me. But I should probably not go on it until after she's tested my thyroid.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:53 PM

Has anyone ordered a test without using a doctor? Which lab did you use? I'm mulling over doing this, but I don't know if Hakala is reputable, and if so, which test I should have done.

Also, does "This test is now offered through our office for an additional ($30) thirty dollars" on the Flechas website mean that for an extra 30 bucks you don't need to have a doctor order the test for you?

And finally, how would I do the skin test, if I decide just to see how quickly the iodine absorbs into my skin?

P.S. I live in the Great Lakes area and my mother has had major thyroid problems (and I suspect her mother did too).

Old 07-23-2009, 11:07 PM

Anyone have an idea why dh is finding the salt water to be sweet?
DD (5) has made comments about salt making things sweet but I just assumed she was mixing up her words a bit. (Using sweet to mean good.). DH said it was so sweet he couldn't drink it. He was trying it for a headache. He is on 50 mg iodine.

our family is <>< and :
Old 07-23-2009, 11:07 PM

I have puffy bags under my eyes too! They've been there for a long time and really bother me. And what is the issue with the Great Lakes? I'm from Minnesota and I think several other people in my family also have thyroid issues.

:::
Old 07-24-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
Doing more reading and kept running across the term Iodism. I finally looked it up and realized it is the same as bromide detox symptoms. It also explains the symptoms I am coping with.

Moneca- Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I'm doing more salt right now. It always makes me feel so much better but when I'm feeling terrible I have trouble even functioning and remembering to try the salt. It tastes really good to me so I'm sure my body needs it. My girls love drinking the sauerkraut juice and I wouldn't be surprised if it is largely that they are craving that salt. Win win. Except that the 1 year old wants to hold her own cup and then gets distracted by the fact that she is holding a liquid and liquids are always fun to put your hands into and pour out..... I digress. For some reason she won't drink it from a sippy cup.

Current symptoms if anyone is interested. Lump in my throat. Stinky pee. Extreme muscle weakness. BO. Diahrea again from (I assume) mag.

Are there any co-nutrients that I might be missing that work with mag? I get lots of calcium and a good amount of potassium
Patty,
Just reading this made me realize I forgot to mention something that you might find helpful. On my days where my body required 3-4 tsp of sea salt I noticed that the first few tsp did not even taste salty to me. It wasn't until I reached my last tsp for the day that it tasted very salty. I would always have bowel symptoms after that tsp. I've been down to 1/4 tsp of salt every other day for the last 5 or so days. WIth the addition of both the vitamin E and then the B complex my body went into this huge bromide detox for 5 or more weeks and then quickly came down.

Edit - I just read your later post about your dh. I wonder if his body needs it so badly that it actually tastes sweet to him. I'd be curious how many tsp he could consume until it tastes salty.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:36 AM

JaneS where are you : ?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:18 AM

Moneca- interesting. It always tastes salty to me but very good. Like the best drink ever if you kwim. I do wonder about dh and dd. She has always really craved salt. In general we let her freely salt her food and she likes a lot of salt. I think she is having some bromine detox symptoms but it is hard to sort out from 5 year old issues. I'm going to increase her Iodine to a full pill for a few days and see if that helps. I'm also considering getting her thyroid checked and looking into getting her on a low dose of armor while we get her iodine fixed.

The naturopath I took my toddler to today said she has a young patient with hasimotos that she has had on 25 mg of iodine for 2 years whose levels are finally up to 10% in the loading test.

our family is <>< and :
Old 07-24-2009, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
I have puffy bags under my eyes too! They've been there for a long time and really bother me. And what is the issue with the Great Lakes? I'm from Minnesota and I think several other people in my family also have thyroid issues.
Lack of iodine.
Traditionally, the Native people of the interior ate fish head soup, wild rice and cat tails (both the roots and pollen)- one of which, at least, I'm sure is high in iodine. Goiter was actually most prevalent among the Natives of the interior of the continent, from what I've read and heard from Elders. Regardless, the majority of people living in the Great Lakes region in the present day do not eat these sources of iodine (and the further you go from the ocean, the more depleted the soil is of iodine so it's not as easy to get from "normal" food sources).

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 07-24-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
I also wonder if it's a toxic thing... I've never been up that way, but connect the area in my head with things I've read about polluted lakes (Lake Erie comes to mind... didn't a lot of the fish die 20-30 years ago?) and industrial pollution in general. I'm SURE it's not really the whole area, but I always picture Detroit and smog and dead fish. And mosquitoes the size of small birds... but that's not related. Or maybe it IS! What would mercury do the genes of mosquitoes?

Ok, back to being serious... I would assume that there's a lot of lead, mercury, and who-knows-what in the water up there, and if people eat much of the local fish, or eat food from polluted soils, it could cause a cluster of iodine deficiency.

Back to lurking... (pregnant and NOT detoxing, but taking a little bit of kelp)

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
Old 07-24-2009, 12:52 PM

So I started the lugol's 5% last week, and Sunday I had a killer detox headache so went from 4 drops down to two drops. Tuesday, I had a mild anxiety attack after taking my vitamin c and magnesium, but I didn't realize what it was, so that night I took just the magnesium, and had a terrible, terrible anxiety attack. Lasted two hours, seriously considered calling an ambulance to the ER (the kids were asleep, and I didn't feel I could drive). I got through it, went to bed, had another minor attack in the night. Wednesday I woke up and my stomach is just so messed up, a roiling pit of acid. I went to the chiro and got an adjustment, and felt better for a little while, but could hardly eat. I got some food down in the afternoon, and felt better for a little while until I drank my water. No supplements of any sort on Wednesday. Yesterday, I felt okay in the morning, until I drank some water on an empty stomach mid-morning, then the acid came back. I did get a multi down yesterday (one'n'only women's). I had another panic attack in the middle of the night, I have had so many heart palpitations this week, and I am terrified and I am going to die and never see my children grow up. I'm assuming this is the bromides detoxing. I'm afraid to do salt flushes anymore (I did them daily up through Wednesday) - my bp was 124/72 yesterday, it's usually around 100/70. I'm worried about the spread between the two numbers. How long will this last? Have I broken myself? Can I take zantac? I'm so afraid to take anything and over tax the kidneys. i'm going to the doctor this afternoon because I can't go into the weekend feeling like I'm going to die. Please, any words of wisdom is much appreciated.

-Sarah : mom to DD (4/05) : and DS (3/07) : Urban homesteading in Eastern Iowa
and : for a new little one in 2010!
Old 07-24-2009, 01:37 PM

Sarah, I would do the salt water, vit C and selenium alongside the magnesium. It sounds like you've opened up your Phase I detox pathway, but are not excreting the toxins effectively. We must open all of the detox pathways to excrete effectively. Are you nursing? Amalgam fillings?

Zinc, B12 and magnesium are important to stomach acid production, which is essential for proper nutrient absorption. The type of supplement needed, chemically is related to one's own detox issues. Antacids could impair nutrient absorption.

Start here to learn about detox pathways: http://heal-thyself.ning.com/forum/t...bstacle-course

And here are a few informal videos about detox pathways: http://heal-thyself.ning.com/video/video

and here about evaluating digestion and stomach acid (beet "pink pee" test): http://heal-thyself.ning.com/forum/topics/the-beet-test

Foods to Help Phase I and Phase II Detoxification:
http://heal-thyself.ning.com/forum/topics/nutrient-dense-foods?page=2&commentId=\
2814160%3AComment%3A655&x=1#2814160Comment655

And do check out www.eatingcultures.com to try and guess on some of your detox pathways, and figure out which nutrients will be important for you. And www.detoxpuzzle.com to identify some of your detox pathways, nutrient deficiencies/needs. There is a step-by-step process of identifying your detox issues.

ETA: how much magnesium did you take?

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:09 PM

Thanks Pat - I was taking about 2-3 tsp of the Natural Calm, split twice daily, 2500 mg of vit C. I am too scared to take them, since the anxiety attacks came on right after taking them, and I really don't think I can handle the anxiety attacks. I can't seem to get water down, which I know is really important to help the body excrete the bromides. I do have some amalgam, and recently had many replaced. For the past few weeks, before starting iodine, I was doing small amounts of kombucha (not more than 4 oz a day, and not daily), and taking bentonite clay internally (1 T every night). I checked out all the detox pathway stuff and the vids before I started this process, and I'd been careful up to Wednesday to try to support - lots of probiotics (dairy and water kefir, bubbies pickles, homemade kimchi), 2 brazil nuts a day, my multi vit has a good B1+B5, and folate. I'm trying to eat avocados regularly for glutathione.

I really don't know if I can make it through without antiacids. I can't hardly drink water... what would you do?

Interesting you mention the beet test- we ate beets on Tuesday night, a lot of them (just harvested from the garden). My pee was normal colored, but I noticed my son's pee was pink. And either my daughter or my husband (not sure who didn't flush ).

Any idea why the magnesium would bring on the panic attacks? I'm so scared to take it again. I'm even afraid to do like an epsom salt foot bath.

I'm also worried for my son (30 months), who is still nursing. He seems to be exhibiting detox symptoms too.

I am scared to start up the iodine again, but afraid not to, because then the bromides will just rebind with the receptors. I am really lost here. I found an ND (practicing illegally), who will see me for a nutrition consult next Wednesday, shoudl I just hold off until then?

Old 07-24-2009, 02:28 PM

I know it sounds crazy but try doubling your iodine. Also do the salt water. You may need more of it. Or you may need less iodine. One drop instead of two.

i take l-theanine for anxiety. Also rescue remedy.

Do you have anything to help you bind and excrete toxins like NCD? I get mine from spectrumsupplements.com

Your nursling showing detox symptoms may be because he is finally getting iodine like he needs, not because of bromine in your bm. BM levels of iodine are much higher than mama's blood levels of iodine. He needs to detox the bromine if he has it. the sooner the better.

our family is <>< and :
Old 07-24-2009, 02:42 PM

Thanks, Patty. I'm waffling now on whether to go to the doctor or not. I know they won't be very accepting of what I am doing and I really don't think they can help me. But at the same time, the heart stuff I have going on is freaking me out.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:56 PM

Dr Brownsteins book talks about a transitory hyperthyroid state when first taking iodine. That may be what you are experiencing. I'll look and see what he says to do.

I'm off iodine and my multi which has iodine in it for 48 hours while we get DD's iodine tested. I feel like crap. Tomorrow will be even worse I'm sure.

DD #1 is having a lot of trouble cooperating today. Is it because she is 5 or is it brain fog? I'm not sure but the longer it goes on I'm leaning toward brain fog. Just not sure what to do for her.

our family is <>< and :
Old 07-24-2009, 03:13 PM

mama2ella- try 100 mg b2 and 500 mg b3 twice a day.

our family is <>< and :
Old 07-24-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2leila View Post
Thanks Pat - I was taking about 2-3 tsp of the Natural Calm, split twice daily, 2500 mg of vit C. I am too scared to take them, since the anxiety attacks came on right after taking them, and I really don't think I can handle the anxiety attacks. I can't seem to get water down, which I know is really important to help the body excrete the bromides. I do have some amalgam, and recently had many replaced. For the past few weeks, before starting iodine, I was doing small amounts of kombucha (not more than 4 oz a day, and not daily), and taking bentonite clay internally (1 T every night). I checked out all the detox pathway stuff and the vids before I started this process, and I'd been careful up to Wednesday to try to support - lots of probiotics (dairy and water kefir, bubbies pickles, homemade kimchi), 2 brazil nuts a day, my multi vit has a good B1+B5, and folate. I'm trying to eat avocados regularly for glutathione.

I really don't know if I can make it through without antacids. I can't hardly drink water... what would you do?
<snip>

Any idea why the magnesium would bring on the panic attacks? I'm so scared to take it again. I'm even afraid to do like an epsom salt foot bath.

I'm also worried for my son (30 months), who is still nursing. He seems to be exhibiting detox symptoms too.

I am scared to start up the iodine again, but afraid not to, because then the bromides will just rebind with the receptors. I am really lost here. I found an ND (practicing illegally), who will see me for a nutrition consult next Wednesday, should I just hold off until then?
I don't know enough about chelating to caution you after having the mercury removed. But, it sounds like you are OPENING detox pathways too fast, on top of taking too many probiotics and fungal killers, with too high a toxin load circulating.

There is a balance to excreting stored and circulating toxins. You have stored toxins due to bromides (likely) and sluggish thyroid (perhaps) and stored mercury (from amalgam fillings) and recent mercury circulation exposure (from removed amalgam fillings). That is a hell of a lot of toxins to be releasing at the same time.

Stop.

Slow down.

Back up.

Take it easy.

If you had ONLY the bromides to deal with, the iodine could help (alongside the salt flushes, and nutrients etc), if your detox pathways are open. Sounds like you are helping to open detox pathways.

However, you also have *circulating* heavy metals due to the recent amalgam removal. AND are INCREASING the release of heavy metals with kombucha and going heavy on the probiotics. btdt, myself, thought I'd die with the headache from the released mercury. It is redepositing into other organs, brain, breastmilk, when you have TOO MANY toxins for your body to detox. The combination of the bromides (from thyroid), along with the recently released mercury (from filling removal) AND the released stored mercury (in gut candida) is overwhelming your system, imnsho.

I would focus on just gut healing, without the iodine PLUS binding the heavy metals with vit C, magnesium, selenium (critical) and consider some clay and zeolite. When were the amalgam's removed? Were the proper procedures utilized? Ventilation system, oxygen, etc. What is the plan for the other amalgams? I'd not be nursing while removing amalgams, personally.

I'd stop the kombucha. I don't believe it is indicated when 1) nursing, 2) amalgam removal, 3) releasing other stored toxins with candida present

How much of the probiotics are you consuming? I'd do 1 tablespoon of each, max. a day.

I'd focus on the B-vitamins and the other alternatives to open detox pathways. I would DO the Epsom salt baths. That will help you to excrete the mercury more effectively, from my understanding. And heavy on the vit C use. That is the safest supplement I know. I'd hold the toddler off from nursing.

I'd do a bit of lemon juice in water or sauerkraut juice or ACV, only a teaspoon a couple of times a day to help the stomach acid, before meals. No grains, no dairy, slow down on the kimchi until you are feeling way better.

Consider using 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in water between meals. NOT before, wait at least 2 hours after. That will help to alkalize your body. (small amounts only, as too much can be fatal)

ETA: basically, opening the detox pathways is too much, if you have too many circulating toxins, and you'll feel like crap. If the detox pathways are blocked, the toxins are stored in our organs (brain, liver, gut, thyroid, etc.). You'll still feel like crap, if you keep increasing the circulating toxins, however. I believe that you need to slow down the circulating toxins: the iodine and kombucha are releasing them, in addition to the open detox pathways dumping *stored* toxins into the circulation. Slow the release of the stored toxins, at the moment and just deal with the ones you can't help: the recently removed amalgam released ones. The magnesium is opening the pathways to release the stored toxins. Vit C, selenium and sulfate (epsom salts), chloride (to bind bromides), (perhaps some potassium chloride-small amounts only as too much can be fatal), clay, zeolite and no nursing.

Pat

I have a blog.

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List