THE Iodine Thread - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 710 Old 07-26-2009, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have always had bags under my eyes(not to mention dark under eye circles). My 2 children are the same way. My dd1 is currently battling a stuffed nose. It seems like its always been like this and nothing we do helps. There are quite a few thyroid issues in my family. My maternal grandmother had hyper, my mat. great gma had goiter, my sister was born with half a thyroid. On my dh's side, his mother had hypo, he has hypo(He doesn't have bags under his eyes though). It just seems logical that we would have issues with our thyroid, yet the test come out normal.
I still haven't got an answer from the company that made my lugol's solution. All it says on the bottle is 'strong lugol's solution' helpful.
I'm glad I subscribed to this thread, its at least given me a direction to look to.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#422 of 710 Old 07-26-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
Does that mean that kelp is not a good source of iodine?
Phytoestrogens are a controversial topic. I happened upon this fascinating article about estrogen dominance in relation to phytoestrogens. http://diamondbotanicals.com/index.p...=view&id=15&Itemid=26

Research on soy, red clover and flax seed has shown that phytoestrogens have the following properties: 1) they have the ability to prevent the body from over-producing estrogens (ie. they act as anti-estrogens just like the synthetic cancer-preventing drugs, Tamoxiphen and Raloxifene, for preventing breast cancer and osteoporosis but without the increased risk of uterine cancer and blood clots of the synthetics); 2) they are powerful antioxidants; 3) they prevent the formation of new blood vessels that feed cancer cells (anti-angiogenic); 4) they are anti-proliferative and inhibit cancer cell growth (Setchell and Cassidy 1999).

Phytoestrogen-rich foods and supplements have been found to be efficacious for preventing and even reversing menopausal problems and osteoporosis in older women and prostate cancer in men and may turn out to be the most important cancer cures yet discovered (Bracher, F. 1997; Brinker, F. 1993/94; Stephens 1997; Rickard et al. 1998).

Phytoestrogens in other types of beans also have these properties, such as peanuts, pinto beans, chickpeas and black beans.

Additionally, this was an informative and thought provoking article!

(we probably need a "Phytoestrogen" thread of its own.)

Pat

I have a blog.
#423 of 710 Old 07-26-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2leila View Post
JaneS, I'm not yet feeling better.
Mama, consider creating an "About Me" thread, so that others can chime in when looking at the whole story. Do write up a history and we'll work from there. I believe it helps most to do the narration and see the patterns. We'll certainly have questions and food for thought to share. Include whether you have mercury fillings in your teeth, whether you are nursing, diet restrictions, cravings, sleep, supplements, testing done, medications, chronic issues, etc.

Pat

I have a blog.
#424 of 710 Old 07-26-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
Does that mean that kelp is not a good source of iodine?
Yes it is not a good source, according to Sally Fallon and Dr. David Brownstein, two people I extremely respect for their knowledge and research. It might be "natural" but it appears there are too many problems with it for a person who already maybe deficient in iodine to depend on it to restock their bodies. Someone who is not facing a lifetime of deficiency or thyroid problem, maybe it's helpful I don't know. But it can also contain metals and bromides and other toxins. I posted more about that previously in this thread.

I also have personal experience. My diet was very high in seaweed for years, when I was eating v*gan for a long time I was a soy and a sushi and seaweed salad freak. And then when I started eating WAPF, I also did a lot of Coast of Maine kelp. But today I still have hypothyroid symptoms and am very toxic since I have a hard time with side effects from higher doses of Lugol's. Kelp obviously didn't help me and at this point I'm assuming it just made the problem worse.

I could not disagree more about phytoestrogens in soy, etc. Soy is also a potent goitrogen (anti iodine, causes goiter). See Weston Price website for more on phytoestrogens. The anti cancer, anti osteoporosis claim is total b.s. Because of the high phytic acid in soy, it prevents mineral absorption a very big health risk, in addition to the hormone problem. Pro-soy studies are funded by manufacturers and are extremely biased.
#425 of 710 Old 07-26-2009, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
JaneS,

someone posted saying that big bags under eyes can be a sign of hypothyoid what are your thoughts on this?
DD has always had what looks like bags under eyes every am. They look really puffy. She's 13mo I'm concerned
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but will keep my eyes open. I have seen it mentioned as an environmental or food allergic reaction. Is her nose stuffy? Ask dr. to check if tonsils are enlarged or sinuses inflamed.
#426 of 710 Old 07-26-2009, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
JaneS, I'm not yet feeling better. I actually had a physician put me on temporarily antianxiety meds, and while I am not terrified anymore, and crying all day, I am still having attacks - tightening of the chest, rapid heart beat, heart palpitations and irregular beats, the dizziness and vision anamolies seem to be lessening but I'm extremly fatigued (could be in part the anxiety meds). I am not doing the salt flushes since I am having so many issues with my heart right now. I'm still not able to stomach the vitamin C. These attacks last 2 hours, and sometimes there's only an hour or so in between. Any ideas how long this will last? I see my chiro tomorrow morning, and an acupuncturist on Tuesday (thank Tanya, for the recommendation). I can't shake this fear that I've permanently damaged my heart. I can say I WILL NOT be going back to the iodine, I don't think it's right for my body.

eta - the doc I saw on friday tested my TSH and said it was in the normal range. I can't remember the number she told me, I was in the middle of a panic attack when she called with the results.

Hmmm.... If it was your thyroid causing this b/c of the iodine, then the TSH would show an elevation. At this point I suspect mercury. How long ago were your fillings removed? What kind of vitamin C are you taking? you cannot stomach it b/c it causes g.i. problems? You can make sodium ascorbate which is easier on the stomach by mixing ascorbic acid powder with half the amount of baking soda and water and drink when stop fizzing. Vitamin C is one of the few things that will neutralize mercury. Magnesium is essential to calm a racing heart but that caused you problems too? What kind?

The kind of sea salt you want to use is Celtic Sea Salt, it is the highest in minerals, way more than other brands. Regular processed salt is what is harmful for blood pressure, I would cut that out completely from diet.

Whether iodine moblizes mercury is still really not studied. Brownstein has shown that urine levels increase when provoked with Lugol's. I assume that could be one of my issues as well. It might be interesting to do a mercury blood test to see if it's high, but it does dissipate w/in a few days of a challenge.

I'm sure the AC will help! Hang in there!
#427 of 710 Old 07-27-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Patty. I'm waffling now on whether to go to the doctor or not. I know they won't be very accepting of what I am doing and I really don't think they can help me. But at the same time, the heart stuff I have going on is freaking me out.
I have been avoiding this thread cause once I start I get so hooked I get distracted... so sorry for those asking questions and needing answers, although I see Pattyla has gone from asking questions to providing answers

So momma, I'm so sorry you've been feeling all these anxiety attacks, that is the most horrifying experience and it truly feels as though you are having a heart attack and trying to calm yourself during one is so difficult, trying to sleep it off makes you feel as though you might not wake... I remember this all to well after I had dd...

First of all you will not die from a panic/anxiety attack, there are many people who've gone from hypo to hyper and experience these on a daily basis. My husband is one of them and it's been 9 months since he's had one now. Coconut Oil is VERY important to have on hand for those that are experiencing anxiety attacks (until you can figure out why they are happening and correct the deficiency, still good to take anyways but you should correct it) coconut oil regulates your thyroid and taken during or at the beginning of an attack will stop it within about 10 minutes.

Now recognizing an anxiety attack, the muscles around your heart will feel hot then icy cold, they will alternate back and forth while at the same time spasming, you will feel short of breath and most likely terrified.

Triggers
They seem to come on at night time an awful lot, if you arent getting to bed by 10 you need to correct that and see how that helps. If you take your second iodine dose before bed, you need to stop, take it in the afternoon or just one dose in the morning ( the iodine stays in your body 24 hours anyways before some is excreted) if you begin to feel rundown towards the end of the day you should take only a small dose of iodine rather than the large. Certain shows or movies that are scary, though they may not normally be can often trigger an attack, turn it off and put on something funny to help take your mind off it (don't forget the coconut oil!)

Anxiety attacks are another symptom of the iodine deficiency or rather bromide toxicity, sometimes smaller doses and slowly building up your iodine levels helps and other times taking higher doses helps, every body is different in their amount requirements. As scary as it sounds, experiment, you may find what your body needs.

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#428 of 710 Old 07-27-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
JaneS, I'm not yet feeling better. I actually had a physician put me on temporarily antianxiety meds, and while I am not terrified anymore, and crying all day, I am still having attacks - tightening of the chest, rapid heart beat, heart palpitations and irregular beats, the dizziness and vision anamolies seem to be lessening but I'm extremly fatigued (could be in part the anxiety meds). I am not doing the salt flushes since I am having so many issues with my heart right now. I'm still not able to stomach the vitamin C. These attacks last 2 hours, and sometimes there's only an hour or so in between. Any ideas how long this will last? I see my chiro tomorrow morning, and an acupuncturist on Tuesday (thank Tanya, for the recommendation). I can't shake this fear that I've permanently damaged my heart. I can say I WILL NOT be going back to the iodine, I don't think it's right for my body.

eta - the doc I saw on friday tested my TSH and said it was in the normal range. I can't remember the number she told me, I was in the middle of a panic attack when she called with the results.
One other thing I spaced on is the importance of B vitamins when supplementing, especially when you begin to have anxiety attacks, heart palpitations, etc. There are many people that are unable to take iodine till they correct the b vitamin deficiency.

Also skip the antianxiety meds, they will cause more problems for you in the long run, most of them have EXTREME withdrawl symptoms even when taken for less than a month. Also the ones I've seen have fluoride in them... what is the one you are taking btw?

Instead of the meds, take coconut oil, trust me it will work. It'll stop your attack in about 10 minutes (extra virgin coconut oil).

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
Thanks so much, Jane. is the bromide test to check to see how much bromide is in one's system?

It's possible I have PCOS. The endos I have seen are not willing to put that label on me, though my infertility endo said it could be a "PCOS variant," whatever that means. I don't have any of the traditional markers (overweight, excess hair) but I do tend to get acne.

I think my adrenals are messed up, too.

I had my thyroid tested a few years ago and I was within normal range but definitely on the end toward hypothyroidism. I went on Armour for about six months so when my endo tested me recently I was HYPER-thyroid. I've been off Armour for a while so I'm going to have everything retested at my next appointment.

I definitely am not someone who will just follow what her mainstream doctor says. I have another appointment next month and if I don't get any answers then I will pursue this route.
When it comes to iodine deficiency, everyone starts out hypo, most people get just enough iodine from their foods to keep them hypo, though their symptoms slowly get worse and worse and then there are the others that dont, or they get waay more heavy metals than "usual" so they then go from hypo to hyper. Hyperthyroid is also an iodine deficiency, though its more of an extreme heavy metal poisoning. I think that its more likely that you had some other dietary change that you either don't think would cause it or were completely unaware of it that caused you to bump into the hyper category.

If you have no period, are overweight and have male pattern hair growth you most certainly have PCOS... I hate that everyone wants to be tested as if those are conclusive, they aren't, what is conclusive is the symptoms... if you only had one and like 2 other symptoms I would wonder what other condition you had, however to have all three same exact symptoms is too obvious. I had PCOS growing up... though I had no clue till a few months ago when I came across it during my research into iodine and I became amazed at how many conditions can be reversed with that one little important forgotten mineral. Just before getting pg, my period became regular and the intensity of the hair growth lessened, prior to this I dropped 60 pounds over the course of 5 months... so what you can gather from that, or at least I hope was the reversal of PCOS as well as my hypothyroidism, I have seen so many symptoms and aches and pains vanish just for myself that I've lost count.

Thyroid and adrenals go hand in hand, when your thyroid is not getting the food it needs (iodine) it stops functioning and begins to atrophy, you adrenals try to pick up the slack for a while but that only wears them out, your body can only produce that amount of adrenaline for so long and thats when adrenal fatigue kicks in.

For those of you wondering if you are deficient, take a look at your symptoms first off, then know that 95% of Americans are iodine deficient. How can I say this? Well I read it somewhere though I can't find it now... grrr.

But if you don't supplement iodine AND

*Drink fluoridated or chlorinated water or used to
*taken a shower in "treated" tap water
*been vaccinated
*went swimming in a chlorinated pool or brominated spa
*eaten bread without being sure it's a brand that doesnt brominate
*drink or used to any kind of citrus beverage (BVO)
*had or have mercury fillings or amalgams

Then you ARE deficient, and how do I know that? well you're body does not have the ability to excrete these metals without the one whose place they are taking, IODINE.

Now whether you are or aren't deficient, you still need to get at LEAST 12.5mg per day. So let that be a goal for all those interested in getting or staying healthy.

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#429 of 710 Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 AM

One last thing...

Stop testing your thyroid levels, that test is inaccurate and USELESS. The old fashioned traditional way is the best, check your symptoms, if they fit, they fit what more do you need?

#430 of 710 Old 07-27-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristSavesAll View Post
If you have no period, are overweight and have male pattern hair growth you most certainly have PCOS... I hate that everyone wants to be tested as if those are conclusive, they aren't, what is conclusive is the symptoms... if you only had one and like 2 other symptoms I would wonder what other condition you had, however to have all three same exact symptoms is too obvious.
Not to discount what you're saying, because I think it could still be PCOS, but I am not overweight and I do not have issues with hair growth. It's *just* the lack of menstruation and some acne (particularly when I eat a lot of grains & sugar). Just wanted to clarify.

I think I'm going to read Dr. Brownstein's book, order the tests and the iodine so I'm ready to go, see my endo one more time and discuss this with her just to give her the benefit of the doubt, and then pursue the tests & supplementing if she has no other answers for me. I have about 3.5 more weeks until my next appointment.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#431 of 710 Old 07-27-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
One other thing I spaced on is the importance of B vitamins when supplementing, especially when you begin to have anxiety attacks, heart palpitations, etc. There are many people that are unable to take iodine till they correct the b vitamin deficiency.

Also skip the antianxiety meds, they will cause more problems for you in the long run, most of them have EXTREME withdrawl symptoms even when taken for less than a month. Also the ones I've seen have fluoride in them... what is the one you are taking btw?

Instead of the meds, take coconut oil, trust me it will work. It'll stop your attack in about 10 minutes (extra virgin coconut oil).

On CO, I've been taking a T daily for over a week. The first fw times it agreed with me fine but the past 3 times it has not. Yesterday it made me nauseas for a short period and the day before I was in the bathroom for 20 minutes Any ideas? I've been melting it then drinking in juice. I don't care to do in a smoothie.

When it comes to iodine deficiency, everyone starts out hypo, most people get just enough iodine from their foods to keep them hypo, though their symptoms slowly get worse and worse and then there are the others that dont, or they get waay more heavy metals than "usual" so they then go from hypo to hyper. Hyperthyroid is also an iodine deficiency, though its more of an extreme heavy metal poisoning. I think that its more likely that you had some other dietary change that you either don't think would cause it or were completely unaware of it that caused you to bump into the hyper category.

If you have no period, are overweight and have male pattern hair growth you most certainly have PCOS... I hate that everyone wants to be tested as if those are conclusive, they aren't, what is conclusive is the symptoms... if you only had one and like 2 other symptoms I would wonder what other condition you had, however to have all three same exact symptoms is too obvious. I had PCOS growing up... though I had no clue till a few months ago when I came across it during my research into iodine and I became amazed at how many conditions can be reversed with that one little important forgotten mineral. Just before getting pg, my period became regular and the intensity of the hair growth lessened, prior to this I dropped 60 pounds over the course of 5 months... so what you can gather from that, or at least I hope was the reversal of PCOS as well as my hypothyroidism, I have seen so many symptoms and aches and pains vanish just for myself that I've lost count.

Thyroid and adrenals go hand in hand, when your thyroid is not getting the food it needs (iodine) it stops functioning and begins to atrophy, you adrenals try to pick up the slack for a while but that only wears them out, your body can only produce that amount of adrenaline for so long and thats when adrenal fatigue kicks in.

For those of you wondering if you are deficient, take a look at your symptoms first off, then know that 95% of Americans are iodine deficient. How can I say this? Well I read it somewhere though I can't find it now... grrr.

But if you don't supplement iodine AND

*Drink fluoridated or chlorinated water or used to
*taken a shower in "treated" tap water
*been vaccinated
*went swimming in a chlorinated pool or brominated spa
*eaten bread without being sure it's a brand that doesnt brominate
*drink or used to any kind of citrus beverage (BVO)
*had or have mercury fillings or amalgams

Then you ARE deficient, and how do I know that? well you're body does not have the ability to excrete these metals without the one whose place they are taking, IODINE.

Now whether you are or aren't deficient, you still need to get at LEAST 12.5mg per day. So let that be a goal for all those interested in getting or staying healthy.
On CO, I've been taking a T daily for over a week. The first fw times it agreed with me fine but the past 3 times it has not. Yesterday it made me nauseas for a short period and the day before I was in the bathroom for 20 minutes Any ideas? I've been melting it then drinking in juice. I don't care to do in a smoothie.
#432 of 710 Old 07-27-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but will keep my eyes open. I have seen it mentioned as an environmental or food allergic reaction. Is her nose stuffy? Ask dr. to check if tonsils are enlarged or sinuses inflamed.
Maybe it was the thyroid thread i get them confused
Her nose is not stuffy and last Dr check up her nose was fine but havent checked tonsils.I thought cutting out gluten might have helped and maybe it still will I've been off it for a little over a week.
#433 of 710 Old 07-27-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Some people do need to slowly up their intake of it, others just get grossed out by it... I always had mine on toast with cinnamon and sugar, you can try that... although when taking it for an anxiety attack it is best to take it straight and let it melt in your mouth, giving it a chance to be absorbed in your mouth (fastest) before swallowing.

#434 of 710 Old 07-27-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Some people do need to slowly up their intake of it, others just get grossed out by it... I always had mine on toast with cinnamon and sugar, you can try that... although when taking it for an anxiety attack it is best to take it straight and let it melt in your mouth, giving it a chance to be absorbed in your mouth (fastest) before swallowing.
I don't do gluten but that sounds yummy
#435 of 710 Old 07-27-2009, 01:53 PM

Ok so If you have a high TSH that always means iodine deficiency?
#436 of 710 Old 07-27-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Coconut Oil is VERY important to have on hand for those that are experiencing anxiety attacks (until you can figure out why they are happening and correct the deficiency, still good to take anyways but you should correct it) coconut oil regulates your thyroid and taken during or at the beginning of an attack will stop it within about 10 minutes.
Caution! This mama has mercury issues and coconut oil could release more mercury into circulation by killing off candida in the gut. Candida stores mercury to protect us from circulating toxic levels. She recently had many mercury fillings removed, in addition to having them removed previously without protocol.

I would NOT take coconut oil, in this mama's case.

Pat

I have a blog.
#437 of 710 Old 07-27-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Mama, I advise against large doses of CO with mercury issues. Gradually work up from 1 teaspoon over the course of a month to a second. But, only in conjunction with vit C, selenium, magnesium, clay or zeolite, especially if you are nursing, as you'll just be dumping mercury into baby.

Pat

I have a blog.
#438 of 710 Old 07-27-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Mama, I advise against large doses of CO with mercury issues. Gradually work up from 1 teaspoon over the course of a month to a second. But, only in conjunction with vit C, selenium, magnesium, clay or zeolite, especially if you are nursing, as you'll just be dumping mercury into baby.

Pat
So I should assume I have mercury issues? Yes i am nursing too arrrrr this is so confusing. When I think i'm doing something right i'm not! I'm only taking selenium,siberian ginseng and a multi. Im so unsure of brands to trust for the other supps you mentioned i put of buying them. Oh ya was taking natural calm for but it wasn't agreeing with me.
What do you take for C, mag and zeolite???

-thank you Pat for the caution as well
#439 of 710 Old 07-27-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Pat
So I should assume I have mercury issues? Yes i am nursing too arrrrr this is so confusing. When I think i'm doing something right i'm not! I'm only taking selenium,siberian ginseng and a multi. Im so unsure of brands to trust for the other supps you mentioned i put of buying them. Oh ya was taking natural calm for mag but it wasn't agreeing with me.

#440 of 710 Old 07-27-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:

Pat
I have not come across this in any of my readings but will definitely look into it, thanks for the heads up!

BTW all that is needed for an attack is 1 teaspoon, for others who haven't taken any even less than that will work. My husband took only 1/4 teaspoon for the first week and it stopped it every time, after that we began the iodine and his anxiety attacks stopped, though he was only taking a couple drops of liquid dulse per day so very VERY little on the iodine, he took 3 months to work up to 6.75mg of iodine and another 2 months before taking 32.5mg.

#441 of 710 Old 07-27-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
So I should assume I have mercury issues? Yes i am nursing too arrrrr this is so confusing. When I think i'm doing something right i'm not! I'm only taking selenium,siberian ginseng and a multi. Im so unsure of brands to trust for the other supps you mentioned i put of buying them. Oh ya was taking natural calm for but it wasn't agreeing with me.

Sorry, I had you confused with mama2leila. I don't know about any mercury issues for you???

I use whole foods for nutrients. I've liked Natural Calm. I'm not yet certain about zeolite. Tanya has some vit C suggestions, I believe.

Pat

I have a blog.
#442 of 710 Old 07-28-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I had you confused with mama2leila. I don't know about any mercury issues for you???

I use whole foods for nutrients. I've liked Natural Calm. I'm not yet certain about zeolite. Tanya has some vit C suggestions, I believe.

Pat
I do pefer WF as well but how do you know when your getting enough when your probably deficient? Ya know so what and how much of a food to eat daily for enough mag?
So you don't take zeolite?
#443 of 710 Old 07-28-2009, 04:27 PM

another good iodine piece: http://www.thorne.com/media/Iodine13-2.pdf

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#444 of 710 Old 07-29-2009, 05:51 PM

but I have read the whole thread and I have been on iodine for about 2 weeks and I take two of the 12.5mg pillls. I started out with one of course but just jumped up to two with a very weird side effect - darkish green poo?? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
#445 of 710 Old 07-30-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Hello dear friend! I saved the best for last.

I have read a LOT about iodine from many sources lately and that is the first time I've seen vitamin E recommended... very, very interesting! As I just referenced in my last post about about high vitamin C fixing a symporter defect, the vitamin E as an antioxidant must be doing the same thing.

What is your food source B vit supplement?

I've been doing grated chicken liver in my kefir shots instead of beef for more folate. I'm sure anyone requiring high Bs are because their detox pathways are clogged, and I sure qualify for that dx. I hear you re: traditional point of view on B complex. However, I still think that there is room for "non traditional" nutritional support to jump start a broken body. That being said I do NOT do well on high doses of ATP cofactors B2 and B3 as recommended by Brownstein. Niacin is NOT calming for me. Weird how both mag. and niacin are supposed to do that according to conventional wisdom and doesn't for me.

If your cysts haven't improved with such a high dosage of Lugol's for so long that just tells me it's a problem with uptake (symporter), although I can't believe they are still blocked given all the hard work you have been doing with chelation!

I haven't upped my iodine again b/c I'm scared. I just don't have the bandwidth to be down and out for any length of time these days. Considering trying the Thyadine and see what happens with iodine and no iodide.
Hi old friend
How many years ago did we start this path and weren't we supposed to be done by now ?

My food source B complex :

http://www.megafood.com/products/dai..._b_complex.php

I take two per day and my NAET/acupuncturist tested that as the dose appropriate for my needs.

Yes, I've been dreading that I had a symporter issue since the first six months that did not result in detox symptoms or improvements in hypo symptoms. I didn't want to add more C while the E and then the B were increasing bromide detox. I had no desire to require more than 4 tsp of salt per day.

Since I had been at 1/4 tsp salt every other day for a week when I read your response, I decided to add more C. I've been taking 250mg synergy radaince C twice per day. I'm not big on daily SA since it is synthetic and would rather take a food source supplement. So, I added 1600 mg SA and biflav twice per day. My bromide detox symptoms came back the second day with fatigue and forehead wrinkles. Not too bad though. I'm only taking 1 to 2 tsp salt per day and that is taking care of the fatigue/wrinkles. We'll see how long this lasts. I do think I have a symporter issue, but also wonder if part of my issue is excessive storage of halides cuz I'm so good at storing toxins.
#446 of 710 Old 07-31-2009, 12:37 PM

I've been taking 4 iodorals/day since the beginning of the summer. I had headaches/euphoria stuff early on. I think my energy increased, although this could have been due to taking magnesium as well? For the last month or so I don't really feel one way or another whether I take the iodine. I seem to have a very sluggish metabolism and I'd say I tend towards hypothyroidism.

While researching iodine a while ago I read that large amts of iodine can actually make hypothyroidism worse. I felt good on a large amt so I didn't really pay much attention. However, I recently came across some articles that stated that iodine mouth wash is counter indicated in persons w/goiter or hypothyroidism and the practice of rinsing w/providine iodine has been stopped in the UK because of the affect the iodine is having on peoples' thyroids. I think I am going to finish taking the iodine I have and probably not take anymore....anyone have any insight on this? I'd appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#447 of 710 Old 08-01-2009, 11:24 AM

Do you have any links Aris? I would be interested in seeing the articles too since I want to research both sides of the issue.

I am also feeling really sluggish, but it's because I take natural calm magnesium for migraines. I tried taking a smaller dose and not taking it at all, but then the headaches come back. I'm taking the minimum I can take without getting a migraine which is 1 tsp a day. But even when I took 3 tsp a day I still wasn't at bowel tolerance. Does anyone have any ideas? I really need to figure something out, as the day goes on it gets harder and harder to get myself to do things!

:::
#448 of 710 Old 08-01-2009, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I just came across this as well.

Dr. Bruce Rind wrote one of the articles on Low Metabolism/Thyroid/Adrenals in recent Wise Traditions that I referenced above. He says that treating the thyroid in patients with low adrenal function results in a "crash and burn" for exactly this reason that Nicole mentions.

His site has some of the info that is in his article, which is fabulous. I made many connections.

Metabolic Therapy
http://www.drrind.com/therapies/metabolic-therapy

Thyroid Scale
http://www.drrind.com/therapies/thyroid-scale-matrix

Temp Graph
http://www.drrind.com/therapies/meta...perature-graph
#449 of 710 Old 08-01-2009, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris99 View Post
I've been taking 4 iodorals/day since the beginning of the summer. I had headaches/euphoria stuff early on. I think my energy increased, although this could have been due to taking magnesium as well? For the last month or so I don't really feel one way or another whether I take the iodine. I seem to have a very sluggish metabolism and I'd say I tend towards hypothyroidism.

While researching iodine a while ago I read that large amts of iodine can actually make hypothyroidism worse. I felt good on a large amt so I didn't really pay much attention. However, I recently came across some articles that stated that iodine mouth wash is counter indicated in persons w/goiter or hypothyroidism and the practice of rinsing w/providine iodine has been stopped in the UK because of the affect the iodine is having on peoples' thyroids. I think I am going to finish taking the iodine I have and probably not take anymore....anyone have any insight on this? I'd appreciate any feedback! Thanks!
Back up and read what Brownstein and Abraham say about this in links provided, esp. The Iodine Debate. Iodine has a long history of usage. And it would seem to me ludicrous that since goiter is caused by low iodine, and can be cured by taking iodine, that it is contraindicated. But there are many other factors including lack of companion nutrients, function of adrenals and possible auto immune disorders and toxic exposure (fluoride, bromide, perchlorate) that make it more complex of an issue than just thinking that taking large amounts of iodine/iodide cures everything.

Abraham's research page at www.Optimox.com specifically addresses why mainstream medicine says that high iodine damages the thyroid.
#450 of 710 Old 08-01-2009, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
Not to discount what you're saying, because I think it could still be PCOS, but I am not overweight and I do not have issues with hair growth. It's *just* the lack of menstruation and some acne (particularly when I eat a lot of grains & sugar). Just wanted to clarify.

I think I'm going to read Dr. Brownstein's book, order the tests and the iodine so I'm ready to go, see my endo one more time and discuss this with her just to give her the benefit of the doubt, and then pursue the tests & supplementing if she has no other answers for me. I have about 3.5 more weeks until my next appointment.
I think to term it 'PCOS or not' is not a good way to think about it.

Insulin resistance (which many believe is the foundation of PCOS) causing high insulin response to high blood sugar messes with your hormones in general. That is, if you eat high glycemic regularly, and you have insulin resistance, your adrenals, progesterone, thyroid, etc. *all* will be effected regardless if you have the pattern of a particular syndrome. Even if you do not have weight gain it doesn't necessarily mean insulin is not messing with your FSH/LH and causing menstruation problems and hormonal acne.

The intriguing thing is that clinical experience has found that iodine reduces need for insulin in diabetics. And since your thyroid regulates all of the body's hormone production, there is a connection.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page