THE Iodine Thread - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 710 Old 08-06-2009, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpenguin View Post
oh and i think i am understanding more about why i likely have high testosterone/low estrogen & progesterone in addition to all of the other health issues i am having. so i'm trying to work on everything holistically, but i don't think including more phytoestrogens is really piecemeal if i'm doing it in addition to other things.
Sorry if that sounded blunt! I meant that there could be an underlying issue, such as ovarian cysts, FSH/LH ratio, high insulin, etc. that supplementing with estrogen wouldn't fix. I would get a blood test to confirm.

Yes high insulin is a primary cause of hypoglycemia. Just eating high glycemic (thus requiring a very large dump of insulin to keep blood sugar down) can cause hypoglycemia as it then goes way low as a result if you are anyway insulin resistant. Eating that way causes insulin resistance over time b/c of the spikes and valleys.

I really don't know the role estrogen plays in absorbing iodine if at all, the iodine researchers didn't mention as far as I can recall. The only thing that was explained was that iodine protects our breasts against too much estrogen which can lead to breast cancer.
#482 of 710 Old 08-08-2009, 05:04 AM

Estrogen effects on thyroid iodide uptake and thyroperoxidase activity in normal and ovariectomized rats ...I'm not sure if I'm understanding it correctly but to me it sounds like estrogen increased the amount of iodine that was absorbed by the thyroid.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#483 of 710 Old 08-12-2009, 09:59 AM

I did the 24 hour iodine test. My results after 2mos on 50 mg is 62%. Better than I expected. I did not get bromine tested but I think I'll do that once I get close to 90%. Thats when I really need to know it.

So my question though is why does it seem like my thyroid had tanked? I'm going in today to get my #'s run. My hair is falling out, I'm exhausted, I feel like it is my thyroid. A month ago I felt terrific. Now I feel really run down. I haven't changed anything that I can think of. I expected taking iodine to help my thyroid, not hurt it.

Should I get my antibodies run? They have always come back normal but he wasn't going to run it this time.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#484 of 710 Old 08-13-2009, 03:54 PM

#485 of 710 Old 08-15-2009, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
I did the 24 hour iodine test. My results after 2mos on 50 mg is 62%. Better than I expected. I did not get bromine tested but I think I'll do that once I get close to 90%. Thats when I really need to know it.

So my question though is why does it seem like my thyroid had tanked? I'm going in today to get my #'s run. My hair is falling out, I'm exhausted, I feel like it is my thyroid. A month ago I felt terrific. Now I feel really run down. I haven't changed anything that I can think of. I expected taking iodine to help my thyroid, not hurt it.

Should I get my antibodies run? They have always come back normal but he wasn't going to run it this time.
Well that certainly shows you are absorbing a lot of iodine, that's pretty good.

I wonder if your symptoms are toxicity related like mine are. What if you drop down your dosage how do you feel? I have to go very slow, I haven't even been brave enough to attempt 50mg, the fatigue is crushing on much less than that and I'm sure it's bromide and maybe mercury but I don't have the $ for tests right now.
#486 of 710 Old 08-15-2009, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
I haven't read Mark Sircus's comparison of Nascent Iodine vs. Lugol's and Iodoral ... it is here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6989376/Na...ne-Mark-Sircus

I have to say myself I've been questioning ioDIDE a lot since Sally Fallon's article (iodide and iodine is in Lugol's/Iodoral). I keep meaning to research more about the conversion of iodine to iodide in the body and whether just taking the form iodine as one would naturally get in food (as a higher amount in a supplement) is sufficient or if you really do need iodide.
#487 of 710 Old 08-15-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Well that certainly shows you are absorbing a lot of iodine, that's pretty good.

I wonder if your symptoms are toxicity related like mine are. What if you drop down your dosage how do you feel? I have to go very slow, I haven't even been brave enough to attempt 50mg, the fatigue is crushing on much less than that and I'm sure it's bromide and maybe mercury but I don't have the $ for tests right now.
Jane you may be right. I tend to assume things are linear and since I was feeling better I assumed my huge dumping was done but I'm needing a lot more salt today.

I feel so much better on 50 mg than I did on 25. I went to two different HCP's who told me it was my pituitary that checked out, not my thyroid (or my adrenals). I've been working on healing my adreanals for a couple of years and was afraid that I had undone the progress I had made. I just got back from a very fun but stressful family vacation (camping, not a lot of sleep and on the go constantly for over a week). It was great but hard on our bodies.
I've got an EO blend to use and a glandular to take. I'm already feeling a tiny bit better.

our family is <>< and :
#488 of 710 Old 08-15-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

From the recent article in Wise Traditions on SECONDARY OR PITUITARY HYPOTHYROIDISM:

Quote:
This occurs when there is no problem within the thyroid gland itself but the pituitary gland, from which the thyroid gland expects a normal amount of TSH in order to produce a normal amount of T4 and T3 hormones, does not secrete adequate amounts of TSH. In this scenario, the free T4 and T3 serum levels will be below normal and the TSH level will be below or at the low end of its normal range. The thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) level, if tested, would show an increase, but is ineffective in raising the TSH level from the malfunctioning pituitary gland.
Thus again showing how the mainstream approach of testing TSH levels only, and assuming a low TSH means you are normal, is completely incorrrect. (Not that you don't know this yourself, just for the record!)
#489 of 710 Old 08-15-2009, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think I've posted this before:

TRANSDERMAL IODINE THERAPY

Applying to the skin for antibiotic, antifungal effects. Like using Betadine (that brown stuff they swab on you before surgery, that contains iodine) but stronger.

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1060156
#490 of 710 Old 08-16-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I haven't read Mark Sircus's comparison of Nascent Iodine vs. Lugol's and Iodoral ... it is here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6989376/Na...ne-Mark-Sircus

I have to say myself I've been questioning ioDIDE a lot since Sally Fallon's article (iodide and iodine is in Lugol's/Iodoral). I keep meaning to research more about the conversion of iodine to iodide in the body and whether just taking the form iodine as one would naturally get in food (as a higher amount in a supplement) is sufficient or if you really do need iodide.
thanks. I will read that article and see what I think.

How would you test for mercury and bromine? Obviously expensive????
#491 of 710 Old 08-16-2009, 06:55 PM

I've seen references to these clays, mostly for mercury. Are they helpful or necessary to mop up bromide? Are they taken internally and how much?

:::
#492 of 710 Old 08-19-2009, 11:40 AM

Goiter after starting iodine therapy? I think my thyroid tanked, it feels enlarged. I have been taking 1/2 an Iodoral for a few months now, working up to that amount after being on supporting nutrients for a while. What's going on? I feel horrible, enough so that I think I need to make an appt at the clinic and get a thyroid panel done.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#493 of 710 Old 08-19-2009, 07:34 PM

I love being right.:

My TSH was 1.74 in range but high for me.

My T4 was .89 range .61-1.76
My T3 was 1.6 range 2.3-4.2

I'm on a higher dose of armour now.

our family is <>< and :
#494 of 710 Old 08-19-2009, 08:57 PM

From Professional Guide to Diseases by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins:

Quote:
Mild deficiency may produce only mild, nonspecific symptoms, such as lassitude, fatigue, and loss of motivation. Severe deficiency usually generates the typically overt and unmistakable features of hypothyroidism: bradycardia; decreased pulse pressure and cardiac output; weakness; hoarseness; dry, flaky, inelastic skin; puffy face; thick tongue; delayed relaxation phase in deep tendon reflexes; poor memory; hearing loss; chills; anorexia and nystagmus. In women, iodine deficiency may also cause menorrhagia or amenorrhea.
Uh, wow. I definitely have lassitude (lack of energy), fatigue and loss of motivation. But also, low blood pressure (I'm assuming this would be related to the low pulse pressure and cardiac output?), weakness, hoarseness, thick tongue, poor memory, chills and AMENORRHEA. The last one is the most troublesome to me, and the one I've been going around and around with doctors to try to figure out. But I'd also love to have more energy, have my legs stop aching, stop being chilled all the time, have my hair grow in thicker, and stop having such a hoarse voice.

I have a thyroid test with my endocrinologist on Friday, but I already have the tests from Hakala Labs ready to do after that, and also Isocort on the way to me. I feel like I've been down so many roads trying to get back to good health (I'm not debilitated but I just never feel strong or totally healthy) that I'm not super hopeful this will actually "work," but I'm willing to try.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#495 of 710 Old 08-26-2009, 11:42 AM

Ack! Did I kill this thread?

I started taking Iodoral on Monday (Sunday, actually, since I did the Hakala test on Sunday and then started 25 mg of Iodoral on Monday) and so far, so good. But one weird thing -- it seems like the birthmark on my face has swollen up. Normally it's not very raised but now it seems VERY raised. Could this be the iodine?

Also, I had some diarrhea last night and this morning. It COULD be all the coffee (more than usual) I had yesterday, but could it also be a healing/detox response? (I'm trying to quit coffee but not being very successful...)

#496 of 710 Old 08-26-2009, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There were some really good articles about iodine in the latest Wise Traditions. I apologize in advance if someone's already posted these links in this thread.

From Best Kept Secret:

Quote:
Serious Thoughts About Iodine

It is well known that the original cause of most cases of hypothyroidism was iodine deficiency.7 In an effort to deal with that issue in a cost-effective manner, public health officials called for the substitution of iodized salt for non-iodized salt on all our grocery store shelves. This measure has taken the edge off the iodine deficiency problems of yesteryear—although not by any means completely, as good measurements of both organic and inorganic iodine levels in patients’ blood or urine would show. But has anyone in thyroidology stopped to recognize the fact that we have actually substituted many more cases of autoimmune thyroiditis and primary hypothyroidism for the relatively fewer cases of iodine deficiency hypothyroidism that existed previously?

Could the mechanism for this phenomenon be that we used the wrong form of iodine—inorganic instead of organic— as a food supplement, and that this harsh form of iodine actually damages the thyroid tissue enough to trigger our immune systems to react against it? I believe this is a question that, at the very least, deserves serious consideration and investigation. I have laid out this case to physicians and researchers who have focused on iodine deficiency, and who recommend taking Lugol’s liquid iodine or Iodoral tablets—which contains inorganic potassium iodide as well as organic iodine—but none of them has responded. Iodide is inorganic and harsh, burning flesh and other living matter with which it comes into contact; iodine is organic and gentle, usually cushioned or bound to proteins or other organic matter, providing the benefits of iodine to living matter without the harsh burning interactive effect.

In the mean time, I am recommending that my patients forego the iodized salt on the shelves of their grocery stores and use genuine 80-mineral sea salt instead, which also tastes much better! And, if their organic iodine serum level is low (measured at Boston University’s Iodine Research Lab), to take 4-6 drops of organic iodine (such as Thyactin by TriMedica) after breakfast and supper daily (8-12 drops per day) rather than Lugol’s liquid iodine or Iodoral tablets.
And, The Great Iodine Debate by Sally Fallon Morell - 15 pages about iodine!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#497 of 710 Old 08-26-2009, 06:43 PM

Anyone have any insight to Sally Fallon's article? She does mention that she had an adverse reaction to iodine, so I wonder how much of that colors the article.

#498 of 710 Old 08-26-2009, 07:01 PM

Okay, I'll talk to myself for a bit.

As I mentioned above I did the 50mg Iodoral Hakala labs test on Sunday and then started taking 25mg of Iodoral per day on Monday. Almost right away I noticed that my legs were no longer killing me.

For a really long time now (I can't remember when it started, but I would guess for at least 12 years or more -- I'm 38) my legs have felt heavy, achy, and swollen. They didn't LOOK swollen at all, there are no visible varicose veins, it wasn't prompted by pregnancy and I'm not overweight. But sometimes they would bother me so much that I'd have to sit down and elevate my legs right.then. At night I would lay in bed, trying to fall asleep, and fantasize about someone massaging them. I mean, every night. Occasionally I'd get up in the middle of the night to take some ibuprofen just so I could fall asleep.

And pretty much the day I started the Iodoral or the day after, my legs felt...normal. I didn't even realize what normal meant, actually. And I know it's really, REALLY early, but it's so incredible to me that they'd just stop aching like this.

One more thing I noticed today -- DS and I were at the library, and usually I'll read him a stack of books but have to stop after four or so because my voice will get more and more hoarse and it will start to hurt to talk. But today I was on the eighth or so (longer) book when I realized that my voice wasn't hoarse AT ALL.

So I'm just waiting on the Hakala test results and taking the recommended supplements and staying at 25mg for a little while until I see what happens.

#499 of 710 Old 08-26-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
There were some really good articles about iodine in the latest Wise Traditions. I apologize in advance if someone's already posted these links in this thread.

From Best Kept Secret:

And, The Great Iodine Debate by Sally Fallon Morell - 15 pages about iodine!
Thanks for posting that! Lots more to think about.

:::
#500 of 710 Old 08-30-2009, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
Anyone have any insight to Sally Fallon's article? She does mention that she had an adverse reaction to iodine, so I wonder how much of that colors the article.
Well her adverse reaction was technically to iodide/iodine in Lugol's... which I am having a hard time with as well so I appreciated her article! I wrote about it above in a previous post...

Awesome news about your legs and voice! A hoarse voice is a common to hypothyroidism.
#501 of 710 Old 08-30-2009, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
Goiter after starting iodine therapy? I think my thyroid tanked, it feels enlarged. I have been taking 1/2 an Iodoral for a few months now, working up to that amount after being on supporting nutrients for a while. What's going on? I feel horrible, enough so that I think I need to make an appt at the clinic and get a thyroid panel done.
any chance you have Hashimoto's? I would get antibodies tests done.
#502 of 710 Old 08-30-2009, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
thanks. I will read that article and see what I think.

How would you test for mercury and bromine? Obviously expensive????

Bromine is not expensive added onto the iodine test, see websites I posted above. Hakala Labs adds it on. Mercury I assume you would have to get done separately, a urine test. I haven't seen it offered in connection with iodine testing. A urine test would be helpful only if done that day of provocation with the iodine I imagine, I forget if I posted that chart that Brownstein did showing increased mercury.
#503 of 710 Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 AM

<delurk>
I had my dr check my mercury level a few months ago to rule it out as a cause for candida (which she doesn't beleive in). The lab drew my blood to do the test.

I had a filling replaced at my dentist's behest and after the fact, when I started to get sick, regretted the decision. They didn't even replace it with a non-mercury containing filling! But I guess it didn't matter cause my blood test came back normal.

-t
</delurk>
#504 of 710 Old 08-31-2009, 10:18 AM

Subbing! I need to finish reading this thread!

This is great and timely information for me.

Are there any particular supplements that people recommend for a pre-teen?
#505 of 710 Old 08-31-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Bromine is not expensive added onto the iodine test, see websites I posted above. Hakala Labs adds it on. Mercury I assume you would have to get done separately, a urine test. I haven't seen it offered in connection with iodine testing. A urine test would be helpful only if done that day of provocation with the iodine I imagine, I forget if I posted that chart that Brownstein did showing increased mercury.
Thank you. I notice you link below sorry a little off subject but do you recommend all pharmax products? Looking for supps for DD who is 14m.o.
#506 of 710 Old 09-01-2009, 10:02 PM

I got the results back from Hakala Labs today, and I'm thoroughly confused. Can anyone translate for me?

Quote:
24 Hour Urinary Halide Test

Total Iodine Excreted 46.8mg (from 50mg loading dose)

% Iodine Excreted 94%

If you excrete 90% or more, and are not taking iodine supplementation, this may be caused by:

1. A symporter defect in which iodine is absorbed but not taken into the cells properly.
2. An iodine organification problem where the iodine gets into the cell but does not attach to the lipid complex for activation.
3. Bromide may be interfering with the body's utilization of iodine.

Total bromide excreted in 24 hours 35.2mg

Upper normal value for 24 hour urine bromide collection reported in the literature is 10mg. Higher levels of bromide can affect iodine utilization.
So what do I do now?

#507 of 710 Old 09-01-2009, 10:04 PM

Also, I had requested the "Urine Iodine Spot Test Kit" as well. I don't see anything on the sheet about pre-supplementation status of iodine -- am I missing something?

#508 of 710 Old 09-22-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbednarick View Post
<delurk>
I had my dr check my mercury level a few months ago to rule it out as a cause for candida (which she doesn't beleive in). The lab drew my blood to do the test.

I had a filling replaced at my dentist's behest and after the fact, when I started to get sick, regretted the decision. They didn't even replace it with a non-mercury containing filling! But I guess it didn't matter cause my blood test came back normal.

-t
</delurk>
I'm no expert but aren't mercury blood tests unreliable? I thought that urine over a 24 hr. period after using a chelator was the most accuate way to see if you are mercury toxic.

I just love the way kisses make ''booboo's'' all better.
#509 of 710 Old 09-22-2009, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashantx View Post
I'm no expert but aren't mercury blood tests unreliable? I thought that urine over a 24 hr. period after using a chelator was the most accuate way to see if you are mercury toxic.
blood work will show recent exposure (up to 2 months) - but it is best if they use packed erythrocytes (not a common test - in fact I think only Metametrix or Genova Diagnostics has this test kit).

hair analysis will show longer term - providing one is an "excretor". there is some indication that people with a particular mutation in the ApoE gene do not excrete mercury well. so there goes the utility of the hair analysis for some people.

and the final one is as you mention - the urine challenge.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#510 of 710 Old 09-22-2009, 12:35 PM

I read the whole thread!
Thanks for all the info!
I had a few questions ( for now I'm sure there will be more later ) .
Is there any reseach on endometriosis and iodine? I suspect I have this or some other estrogen dominance....I also have most symptoms of thyroid problems and/or adrenal fatigue. My tests are within normal range
My 10 year old has 1 mercury filling , would it be ok to try him on iodine?
I'm hoping to find a dentist that will remove the filling.
About my multi vitamin... I cannot find the facts for it online it's the central market life multi complete whole food concentrates. It's got pretty high concentrations of vitamins and minerals and even has iodine in it in the form of kelp. 150 mcg Says 100% of daily value but being as it's in the form of kelp iodine supp couldn't hurt right? It's pretty low in magnesium and calcium as well as selenium chromium and potassium. Would I be getting my potassium from my apple cider vinegar? There is no dv % on the bottle but I take it in water (no measurements) 3x daily.The vitamin is also a tad low in biotin. Do I need to supplment all of this??? I think I can make up for a lot of this with my wheat germ (in smoothies) and brewers yeast. Would it be bad to do brewers yeast with a history of candida? I'm pretty sure I got that under control (it was thrush I was on abx during pregnancy and never did probiotics etc) I now drink kombucha and eat yogurt. If my stomach goes nuts I take a proboitic on occasion. I take 1000% mg of vitamin c daily in addition to the 1000 in my multi . Do I need extra c? I also take a low quality clo twin labs....I'm going to order a better one I take a tbsp. of blackstrap molasses in water b/c I thought I might be anemic , I now suspect it's iodine deficiency and not low iron. I get a little mag from that as well as some calcium and potassium. In addition to all of this we eat pretty decent too, I plan to do some sort of adrenal support (siberian ginseng?) during this but is there anything else you all think I should take? I'm paranoid about doing this right . I'm pretty sure I have a nodule or goiter, so I'm ready to get this started! Thanks in advance for any advice.

I just love the way kisses make ''booboo's'' all better.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page