Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2010, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilamama View Post
and what abt assuming they are not?
Assuming they are not, I would do everything in my power to get them working more effectively before doing anything that might detox. But I tend to be incredibly cautious that way.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 11:41 PM

Goodness, there is a lot of info in this thread! I finally finished reading it all, I hope some of you are still around to answer questions.

I had just started supplementing Iodine (actually SSKI/Triquench), I started at a very small dose 100mcg and have worked my way up to 1mg per day. I was having detox symptoms at lower dosages but as I worked my way up they lessened or rather, changed. 2.5 years ago I tried supplementing with this and after a couple of months worked my way up to 100mcg, I felt hyperthyroid as well as having unmanageable fatigue and I tried asking questions at the Iodine Yahoo group, but could not find any answers. I wonder after reading this thread if I was not using the proper supporting nutrients.

JaneS-have you used Thyactin? I was thinking of trying the iodine form and this is a low dose. I have yet to read all the links you provided for the argument of taking iodine vs iodide. I originally purchased Triquench because I was following the Vitamin K protocol. Do you have an opinion on Nascent Iodine? http://www.magnascent.com/index.php/..._store=default

There are times when I feel nauseous. Salt flush made it worse, swimming in the ocean made it really bad. Any ideas of what it could be? Would taking bentonite clay help? How would I take clay internally?

Something I have noticed is that taking iodide has made my oxalate sensitivity worse and my tolerance for calcium far lower, I only eat a little calcium daily in foods and take no supplement. Any ideas as to why this has happened?

Is iodide best taken on an empty stomach?

We create our own reality.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:50 AM

I haven't been on MDC in FOREVER, but had to drop in with a quick post for this thread. I've been detoxing bromide (and God knows what else) with 50 mg of lugols since Nov '08. I had been requiring 4 tsp of sea salt per day to flush the bromide. About 3 months ago I finally switched to nascent iodine (thanks Jane for the mention). Well, my bromide detox became intolerable. Even with the 4 tsp of sea salt per day the breakthrough itching was horrible. I truly appeared to have fleas and was scratching 24/7!

At the same time my husband got a bad stomach bug that he couldn't shake. I gave him a dose of Yerba Prima hydrated bentonite clay and his symptoms abated after that one dose. I was reminded of how well the bentonite had worked to clear my mercury symptoms long before I had my amalgams removed/chelated. Since I had a bottle in the house, I decided to try it for bromide clearance. It worked like a charm . I still had some breakthrough itching after 4 days of starting the clay, but it worked much more effectively than the salt. Taking 1 TBSP per day was SO much easier than taking 1 tsp of sea salt 4x with each dose being 90 minutes apart. VERY IMPORTANT : always take clay with at least 12 oz of water to avoid constipation!

Best,
Old 06-29-2010, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca View Post
I haven't been on MDC in FOREVER, but had to drop in with a quick post for this thread. I've been detoxing bromide (and God knows what else) with 50 mg of lugols since Nov '08. I had been requiring 4 tsp of sea salt per day to flush the bromide. About 3 months ago I finally switched to nascent iodine (thanks Jane for the mention). Well, my bromide detox became intolerable. Even with the 4 tsp of sea salt per day the breakthrough itching was horrible. I truly appeared to have fleas and was scratching 24/7!

At the same time my husband got a bad stomach bug that he couldn't shake. I gave him a dose of Yerba Prima hydrated bentonite clay and his symptoms abated after that one dose. I was reminded of how well the bentonite had worked to clear my mercury symptoms long before I had my amalgams removed/chelated. Since I had a bottle in the house, I decided to try it for bromide clearance. It worked like a charm . I still had some breakthrough itching after 4 days of starting the clay, but it worked much more effectively than the salt. Taking 1 TBSP per day was SO much easier than taking 1 tsp of sea salt 4x with each dose being 90 minutes apart. VERY IMPORTANT : always take clay with at least 12 oz of water to avoid constipation!

Best,
how did you take the clay? did you mix it into the water?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 PM

Anyone around that has been taking iodine? I'm wondering about a few things...

I've worked my way up to 5mg a day and I feel pretty good, sometimes I have energy but I find that I sleep like a rock, almost like I am drugged and wake up groggy. My daytime energy has been about the same since starting iodine (6 weeks ago). I have NO appetite (although I still eat and have cravings for food.) I am gaining weight slowly, and I don't need to gain any weight. Last time I tried taking iodine I went a bit hyperthyroid, so now I'm going the opposite way. I'm getting itchy now and then, it's noticeable but not uncomfortable, is this bromine detox?

Old 07-31-2010, 02:14 PM

I just want to say that I am so grateful to find this thread. This information is exactly what I am needing right now. Thank you JaneS! There's no place like MDC!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy Kaby View Post
Anyone around that has been taking iodine? I'm wondering about a few things...

I've worked my way up to 5mg a day and I feel pretty good, sometimes I have energy but I find that I sleep like a rock, almost like I am drugged and wake up groggy. My daytime energy has been about the same since starting iodine (6 weeks ago). I have NO appetite (although I still eat and have cravings for food.) I am gaining weight slowly, and I don't need to gain any weight. Last time I tried taking iodine I went a bit hyperthyroid, so now I'm going the opposite way. I'm getting itchy now and then, it's noticeable but not uncomfortable, is this bromine detox?
yes itchiness can be bromine detox but the hyper sx are concerning... have you been tested for thyroid antibodies?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:15 PM

I have done more reading(on the breast cancer site, thanks JaneS for the link!) about bromine detox and now looking back I think I had racing thoughts/inability to sleep because I was not getting enough magnesium, and b12, maybe some others. I'm taking the Bach flower 'Rescue Sleep' as well. I have also cut out grains and my 'racing heart' has gone away only to reappear if I eat grains. I am using the magnesium chloride on my skin and it has been more effective than oral mag or the Epsom salt baths.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:55 AM

I was just wondering if anyone experienced nose bleeds when taking (too much) iodine. Is it true that all thyroid patients should take iodine because all thyroid disorders are caused by iodine deficiency? I'm hyperthyroid and I have felt better when taking it.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleklu View Post
I was just wondering if anyone experienced nose bleeds when taking (too much) iodine. Is it true that all thyroid patients should take iodine because all thyroid disorders are caused by iodine deficiency? I'm hyperthyroid and I have felt better when taking it.
To my knowledge, it is not a wise idea for people with hyperT to take iodine. I believe that doctors recommend they avoid all sources of iodine, including seafood and iodized salt.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 08-22-2010, 12:21 PM

Subbing

"That boy, Frank, he lives inside his own heart. That's a real big place to live." ~ Karl Childers (Billy Bob Thornton) in Sling Blade
Old 10-22-2010, 09:07 PM

Anyone know what is a good safe amount of iodine while pregnant? I am currently taking 550mcg, in the form of kelp. I have found some interesting articles regarding iodine while pregnant/breastfeeding, but everything i find says a pregnant woman should only have 200 mcg of iodine in supplement a day, which seems to be very little considering some of research of read. I am fairly certain that my months of fatigue prior to pregnancy resulted because of the diet i was following, (vegan, Eat to Live, no salt) I've also read that vitamin d is depleted with rapid weight loss so i am taking way more than the RDA of that as well, to keep my energy levels up. Most the links relate to pregnancy/breastfeeding, but thought i'd share.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...03739-0008.pdf

http://allonhealth.com/health-news/b...nd-thyroid.htm

http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna...ur_milk_supply

http://www.jctonic.com/include/minerals/iodine.htm

http://www.shareguide.com/flouride.html

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 10-22-2010, 09:39 PM

I asked the same thing when I got pregnant and the answer I got from several sources was 12.5 mg (1 Iodoral or equivalent of Lugols depending on which solution strength you are taking). I got warned away from the kelp etc sources because of the high mercury and bromide contamination levels.

Melissa 38 DH 47, Emerson '06, Arrow '09 angel2.gif, and Drake Valan EDD 12/22/10.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
To my knowledge, it is not a wise idea for people with hyperT to take iodine. I believe that doctors recommend they avoid all sources of iodine, including seafood and iodized salt.
The iodine researchers (Abraham, Brownstein, et al) would disagree with this.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

ILoveMyBabyBird,

Do you have an excellent source of true retinol vitamin A to replace stores that were likely depleted while vegan?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:08 PM

Bump.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

I should also update that I'm remarkably tolerating more iodine lately too. 

Apparently it took a year of very low doses (although more than RDA not Iodoral level) to ramp up.  I haven't increased much, just every day rather than every other day.  Not in a position to be mowed down by detox fatigue at this point in my life. 

Old 12-31-2010, 04:01 PM

This thread is so informative and I absolutely love it. I am actually taking an iodine supplement called magnascent which was first created by the sleeping prophet Edgar Cayce. This iodine is known as nascent iodine which is supposed to be stronger than lugol's. I am gearing up for my last IVF cycle and I am trying to prepare my body. I feel 100% better since I started taking iodine. I also consume coconut oil by Nutiva and tropical traditions both brands are excellent. I cant express to you enough about how glad I am that I started supplementing with iodine. I hope and pray that because of iodine it will entitle me to experience the joys of motherhood.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
anyone on the west coast considering a large dose of iodine in the coming days?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:20 PM

Yes.  I want to know how much to give my 2yo and 6yo tonight.  The Brownstein blog says to start today at 13 mg for an adult.  But I think the post was written before folks started admitting to real meltdown at three of the reactors.  

I have tri-quench which is 25mg per drop.  Dp and I took one drop each but I'm not sure what to give the kids.  And I know they won't drink it in anything so can I just drop it on their tongues while they sleep?  

Old 03-15-2011, 10:17 AM

I just came looking for an iodine thread and will have to take some time today to read through this! We are on the coast in California, so I'm def looking at what type to get and dosing info. Looks like there is a lot of great info here.

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
Old 03-15-2011, 02:21 PM

My holistic MD gave us the go-ahead to dose now at 13mg for an adult, 1/2 that for a child, 1/2 that for a baby.  It is safe but a pretty high dosage and will start boosting levels now.  If things start looking worse, we'll up the dose accordingly.  I'm using tri-quench, a liquid potassium iodide solution containing 25mg KI per drop.  I'm cutting it down with water to get the correct dosage and hoping that I'm doing it right.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:29 PM

Is anyone relying on topical iodine?

Old 03-15-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post

My holistic MD gave us the go-ahead to dose now at 13mg for an adult, 1/2 that for a child, 1/2 that for a baby.  It is safe but a pretty high dosage and will start boosting levels now.  If things start looking worse, we'll up the dose accordingly.  I'm using tri-quench, a liquid potassium iodide solution containing 25mg KI per drop.  I'm cutting it down with water to get the correct dosage and hoping that I'm doing it right.

I think that is a dangerous idea, imnsho. That is a HUGE amount of iodine for an adult or child.

PLEASE see this thread for MANY natural alternatives, start on the last page: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1302780/west-coast-iodine-fallout-information/60

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:58 PM

13 mg is the average daily iodine intake for women of childbearing age in Japan.  I am going off information from Brownstein but please tell me more because I am certainly not an expert on this at all!  

I'm all for natural alternatives but in reality, no amount of kelp or any whole food is going to provide enough iodine to block thyroid uptake of radioactive iodine.  I am certainly not going to take the prophylactic dose unless there is a true emergency.  That dose is 130mg for an adult!  

Old 03-15-2011, 03:15 PM

Check the links I posted. There is a bunch of research about whole foods preventing radioactivity issues.

Start HERE.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:11 PM

I've read them.  But at the beginning of THIS thread, the amounts I listed above seem to be pretty standard supplemental dosages.  Brownstein himself has advocated this particular protocol for this situation.  He is the most reputable source I could find online and all my health people are in agreement with him.  What I'm asking is why you would consider these amounts dangerous?  

Old 03-15-2011, 08:55 PM

Because it is unnecessarily risky to supplement iodine'/iodide in isolation when MANY radioactivity-preventive food options are available (IF there were an actual radioactivity risk), which are less reactive for a significant portion of the mothering population who potentially have (unrecognized) autoimmune Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

http://thehealthyskeptic.org/iodine-for-hypothyroidism-like-gasoline-on-a-fire

http://www.westonaprice.org/book-reviews/thumbs-up/1962-why-do-i-still-have-thyroid-symptoms-by-datis-kharrazian.html

http://totalhealthcentervb.com/thyroid-treatment-success-secret-6.htm

http://drknews.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Still-Thyroid-Symptoms-Tests-Normal/dp/product-description/1600376703

http://thyroid.about.com/od/isthatso/f/iodine.htm

http://www.carbwire.com/2010/07/20/dr-datis-kharrazian-answers-the-question-why-do-i-still-have-thyroid-symptoms-when-my-lab-tests-are-normal

https://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=199803937016&topic=12012

http://next.thyroid.org/patients/notes/july06/06_07_35.html

http://www.drmanlove.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=335

http://drknews.com/some-studies-on-iodine-and-autoimmune-thyroid-disease/

I've read that hypothyroid incidence ranges from 10-30% of the American population, often unrecognized; most affected are women; and 70-80% of women who are hypothyroid have autoimmune Hashimoto's, especially common after pregnancies.

Trust your own judgment.  It is your body.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:18 PM

Interesting.  Thank you.  I very much doubt that I fall into that category after researching it a bit. I would, however, be concerned about what the unknown effects might be on the kids.  I will read more because I haven't found what dosages are involved.  I *think* that thyroid patients are taking a lot more iodine than I'm talking about here...

Old 03-16-2011, 07:48 AM

Also, read through this (whole) thread. Many moms here have had problems with low dosing iodine even.

Pat

I have a blog.

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List