THE Iodine Thread - Page 24 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#691 of 710 Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

But those of us who have had improvement in symptoms after relatively high dose iodine intakes aren't posting as much.  Even at my worst, health-wise, I just started Iodoral (1/day) without knowing it could cause problems, and in me it didn't, I saw only good things.  And stopping for a while, when I ran out, I noticed a return of some of my symptoms, even now when my health is overall much better. 

#692 of 710 Old 03-16-2011, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

But those of us who have had improvement in symptoms after relatively high dose iodine intakes aren't posting as much.  Even at my worst, health-wise, I just started Iodoral (1/day) without knowing it could cause problems, and in me it didn't, I saw only good things.  And stopping for a while, when I ran out, I noticed a return of some of my symptoms, even now when my health is overall much better. 

this.  I started at 50mg a day (under the supervision of a physician) and continued for quite some time with no ill effects whatsoever.  My kids were on 12.5 mg a day and had none either.

#693 of 710 Old 03-16-2011, 01:23 PM

we were just discussing this today elsewhere offline. one needs both iodide and iodine.  if relying on a supplement, make sure it has both forms (e.g., Iodoral has both).  food will most likely have both but might not have enough for some individuals' needs.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#694 of 710 Old 03-16-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post

we were just discussing this today elsewhere offline. one needs both iodide and iodine.  if relying on a supplement, make sure it has both forms (e.g., Iodoral has both).  food will most likely have both but might not have enough for some individuals' needs.

this.  I'll be more clear that I was on iodoral for the duration.

#695 of 710 Old 03-16-2011, 05:15 PM

At what percentages, roughly?  I have tri-quench, which says 19mg iodine (from 25mg potassium iodide).  I have to cut it because this is per drop so I'd also like to know which number to use when doing the math.  I've been using the 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post

#696 of 710 Old 03-17-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

Same with me. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, but not Hashi's, FWIW.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#697 of 710 Old 03-17-2011, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post

At what percentages, roughly?  I have tri-quench, which says 19mg iodine (from 25mg potassium iodide).  I have to cut it because this is per drop so I'd also like to know which number to use when doing the math.  I've been using the 25.

I think Iodoral is between 50%/50% and 33%/67% but I don't remember which is higher.  It'll be online if you need to know (and I don't know how specific the ratio is supposed to be, or if it's just a range).

#698 of 710 Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 AM

My doctor did a iodine test and I came out pretty low.  She put me on iodoral, about half a pill daily, and it has helped my fibrocystic breast as well as a few other issues.  I recently ran out of the iodoral and bought some iosol from iherb that is ammonium iodide.  Then I read that I want the iodoral and now can't get it.

Should I take the ammoinum iodide?  And will it also help with the radioactive rain and air in my area right now?

#699 of 710 Old 03-27-2011, 09:17 AM

New to this thread but just wanted to say Iodoral is the same as lugols solution so if you can't get the Iodoral right now you can use Lugols

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#700 of 710 Old 03-29-2011, 06:00 PM

Ok so, being on the west coast and concerned about radioactivity arriving here from Japan, I began giving everyone a maintenance dose of iodine, which I knew very little about before all this.  I've been taking 13mg, 6yo dd/6mg and 2yo dd/3mg per day.

I'm doing fine, as is 2yo.  But my 6yo, who has has eczema on and off has got a really bad rash behind her ears and along the sides of her neck/face.  It is bumpy, almost pimply and her ears are all scaly and red.  How do I know if this is bromine detox or if she is allergic/sensitive?  I'm taking her to see my NAET practitioner but can't get in until next week.  My instinct tells me it is detox but I don't want to take any chances either.

#701 of 710 Old 03-31-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post
I'm doing fine, as is 2yo.  But my 6yo, who has has eczema on and off has got a really bad rash behind her ears and along the sides of her neck/face.  It is bumpy, almost pimply and her ears are all scaly and red.  How do I know if this is bromine detox or if she is allergic/sensitive?  I'm taking her to see my NAET practitioner but can't get in until next week.  My instinct tells me it is detox but I don't want to take any chances either.

How is she with gluten? Iodine can cause a flare up of dermatitis herpetiformis, a skin manifestation of celiac disease.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#702 of 710 Old 03-31-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post

How is she with gluten? Iodine can cause a flare up of dermatitis herpetiformis, a skin manifestation of celiac disease.

She's gluten intolerant for sure.  She hasn't eaten any for over three years.  I read about the connection with iodine to DH but the rash doesn't look like it to me.  Maybe it manifests differently in some people but the photos I've seen of DH look pretty specific.  I'm hesitant to stop the iodine right now because I live in WA and they just found radiation in our milk here.  We don't drink milk but we do eat goat yogurt and cheese and it seems like the problem in Japan is getting worse by the day so I can only presume that our exposure here will get worse as well.  I've started giving her lots of vit c and milk thistle and other supplements and treatments to help detoxify.  If it doesn't start getting better soon I guess I'll have to stop the iodine and go from there.  Its been raining here for a week and all I can think is how the radioactive trash is all being dumped on WA right now.  Its pretty depressing.

#703 of 710 Old 04-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Joybird, I also have tri-quench and have been unsure of how to properly "cut" the liquid drops for my kids.  Do you have a reputable source that gave you the info??  Maybe it's too late for us to start it now...but better late than never I'm kind of thinking? I don't know... I'm not sure who to trust with the radiation information (I'm also in Washington). I have been looking at the EPA readouts in my area and while they have been basically the same before and after the quake, it doesnt make sense as to why all of a sudden they are finding radiation in milk.  I have considered the fact that in Spokane there is a high occurrence of radon in the soil so that may have been having an impact all along but its never been looked at/reported? It's so confusing.

#704 of 710 Old 04-02-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avriel86 View Post

Joybird, I also have tri-quench and have been unsure of how to properly "cut" the liquid drops for my kids.  Do you have a reputable source that gave you the info??  Maybe it's too late for us to start it now...but better late than never I'm kind of thinking? I don't know... I'm not sure who to trust with the radiation information (I'm also in Washington). I have been looking at the EPA readouts in my area and while they have been basically the same before and after the quake, it doesnt make sense as to why all of a sudden they are finding radiation in milk.  I have considered the fact that in Spokane there is a high occurrence of radon in the soil so that may have been having an impact all along but its never been looked at/reported? It's so confusing.

I am adding 24 drops of water for each drop of tri-quench and then using each drop of that mixture as 1mg (since 1 drop of tri-quench has 25mg).  So I give little dd 3 drops, big dd 6 drops, adults 13 drops.  This was my idea and I was feeling like it was probably not calibrated very accurately because my dropper is likely a different size dropper than the tri-quench bottle.  So I went to my compounding pharmacy and the woman there did the math for me a bit differently using standard household measurements like this:

2 drop tri-quench into 2 cups water.  From that use

1 oz for baby (providing 3mg iodine)

2 oz for older dd (providing 6mg iodine)

4 oz for each adult (providing 13mg iodine)

Both she and my doctor said that the dropper method is fine as well though, which I've still been using because I don't have a 1oz measurement and by giving drops I can make sure that they're getting it all.  I am still unsure about the numbers after all that though, because the bottle says 19mg iodine from 25mg potassium iodide.  I used the larger number to divide by because these these are fairly high dosages to begin with and we are eating lots of kelp/seaweed so I figure I'd rather give them a bit too little than a bit too much.   

The information we are being given is very confusing.  The numbers don't seem to change because they are measuring all radiation (rays and particles).  The particular isotope iodine-131 is not usually present at all though.  And they keep upping their opinions about what we will expect and even how much is safe.  First they said we would not see any change in levels, then they say we will see a tiny increase that is barely measurable, then they say okay it is in the food supply, but not enough to harm anyone.  We all know that there is no 'safe' level of exposure to radiation, this is not a debated issue and it is taken as fact in science and medicine.  The levels they set are a calculated risk, that's all.  And when you hear a comparison between ingested/inhaled particles and 'background' radiation or x-rays, be suspicious.  They are ignoring the fact that when we consume particles, they lodge in our bodies and become 'internal emitters', giving off radiation to all the nearby cells for as long as they are in the body.  When you get an x-ray or fly in an airplane, the radiation you are exposed to stops.  There is a whole slew of scientific and medical literature describing this phenomenon and people are being misled about the actual dangers of constant low-level radiation, which is what happens with internal emitters.  There is an excellent segment on Democracy Now from this week that explains it better.  

http://www.democracynow.org/2011/3/30/prescription_for_survival_a_debate_on

About the milk, radiation contamination (like most toxins) multiplies x1000 each time it is moved up a notch in the food chain.  That's why its so much higher in the milk than in grass that the cows ate.  So, the kids living near Chernobyl were poisoned by milk on a way higher scale than by vegetables or fruit.  Which leads me to question, exactly how contaminated is my own milk??  I eat food grown from the same land that the cows eat from....

#705 of 710 Old 04-09-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Current info on Japan and iodine recs on Dr. Brownstein's blog:

http://drdavidbrownstein.blogspot.com/

While I do think the radiation danger is minimal, there are so many other daily toxins we are exposed to in our food, drink and environment that displace iodine in the body: fluoride, chlorine, bromide, perchlorate, etc.

#706 of 710 Old 04-09-2011, 01:44 PM

Just wanted to update to say that dd was actually not having a negative reaction to the iodine.  She had scarlet fever...

#707 of 710 Old 04-14-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post

Current info on Japan and iodine recs on Dr. Brownstein's blog:

http://drdavidbrownstein.blogspot.com/

While I do think the radiation danger is minimal, there are so many other daily toxins we are exposed to in our food, drink and environment that displace iodine in the body: fluoride, chlorine, bromide, perchlorate, etc.

Not sure how true this is. (bolding mine) Seems thats what they want us to believe, but FRANCE is telling its citizens to avoid milk and cheese. Fallout is up to 10 times higher on west coast of US than in France! The fallout is circling around the northern hemisphere with no end in sight.  I suppose it is "minimal" compared to those living close to Fukushima

Here are some articles (and the last includes a video) which may be of interest:

http://www.euractiv.com/en/health/radiation-risks-fukushima-longer-negligible-news-503947
http://www.naturalnews.com/032048_radiation_milk.html
http://www.naturalnews.com/032050_radioactive_food_nuclear_radiation.html

http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/2011/04/07/radioactive-rainwater-saint-louis-missouri-geiger-counter-nuts-14994/

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#708 of 710 Old 04-19-2011, 01:04 PM

bluets, I have been told by a chemist that iodine is toxic, and we should stick to iodide.  This was in reference to me mentioning that I have taken Iodoral, and reading off the label to the person.  He assured me again and again, and the other people present, that it was horribly dangerous, and used some techno-babble to justify that.  The conclusion of the interaction was "don't listen to Leigh."  If you have any info that I can use to get some face back, I would love to be able to show it.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#709 of 710 Old 04-19-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post

bluets, I have been told by a chemist that iodine is toxic, and we should stick to iodide.  This was in reference to me mentioning that I have taken Iodoral, and reading off the label to the person.  He assured me again and again, and the other people present, that it was horribly dangerous, and used some techno-babble to justify that.  The conclusion of the interaction was "don't listen to Leigh."  If you have any info that I can use to get some face back, I would love to be able to show it.

some forms of iodine are likely to be toxic.  molecular iodine is not likely to be one of them - it certainly would not be included in iodoral if it were toxic.  unfortunately, pubmed is littered with "iodine" studies that don't specify the kind of iodine they've used (though my guess would be potassium iodide or just iodized table salt).

http://www.iodine4health.com/ortho/ortho.htm

http://www.lewrockwell.com/******/miller20.html

Iodine Monograph

http://www.townsendletter.com/Oct2005/gabyrebuttal1005.htm

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#710 of 710 Old 04-20-2011, 10:27 AM

Hi. I took Magnascent iodine about 3+ weeks ago. I only took it for 4 days, 1 drop each day. I proceeded to get terrible side effects, the most notable a non-stop racing heart (anxiety attacks) that was like it was in my throat, hyperness, insomnia, difficulty swallowing (like a lump in my throat) and tightness in my upper chest. I went to my homeopath and he said I had overdosed and he gave me some homeopathic remedies to balance out my thyroid. Today a lot

of my symptoms have lessened, however, I still have a racing heart and I haven't been able to sleep at all for weeks. Is it is possible that I still have the toxins in my body? Or have I just gotten anxiety now?   The only other thing I did was a liver and kidney cleanse. I've been reading about the salt water flushes and I did a couple yesterday, but I'm not better. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards, Candace

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page