THE Iodine Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
How much would you give to children? They already take D, K2 & CLO drops, what's one more?
I have been giving ds, who is 5, 2mg a day and decided to up it to 3mg a few days ago.

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#62 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 10:03 PM

Ok I'm jumping in to add some extra info about how iodine deficiency effects differing conditions.. Also I will add some additional info about the toxicity of fluoride and bromide... this will be a few posts so bear with me.

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#63 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 10:12 PM

There seems to be a general understanding that hypothyroidism is caused by iodine deficiency so I'm gonna skip that one since it's obvious..

"Among the problems caused by iodine deficiency are: underactivity of the thyroid gland produces fatigue. In rodents iodine deficiency leads to abnormal pituitary-adrenal function. The adrenal gland provides energy and stamina. When iodine no longer binds to thyroid cell membranes enzymes called peroxidases they are able to damage these membranes and produce autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto¹s thyroiditis and Hyperthroidism (Graves Disease). Researcher Dr. Guy Abraham has observed several cases of thyroiditis and hyperthyroidism that have been corrected by the simple replacement of iodine. For more than 100 years high doses of iodine have been known to benefit both underactivity (hypothyroidism) of the thyroid gland and overactivity of the thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism). Iodine therapy allows the sluggish thyroid gland to resume normal production of thyroid hormone leading to resolution of hypothyroidism. Provision of iodine stops the peroxidase injury to the thyroid membranes in hyperthyroidism which permits hyperthyroidism to resolve. Thus thyroid surgery for hyperthyroidism is no longer necessary. Several human organs need iodine but can not absorb it until blood iodine levels reach high values (stomach, salivary glands). Most persons exhibit impaired production of stomach acid as they age. This impaired capability to produce adequate stomach acid may be a result of iodine deficiency as iodine promotes stomach acidity." (Per http://www.vickeryseaplantminerals.com/Page.html)

And this quote from Second Opinion Newsletter

November, 2004, Issue

"While iodine will help the thyroid increase the production of hormone where necessary, it also inhibits over-release from the gland by giving thyroid enzymes what they want. These iodine-seeking enzymes that attack thyroid membranes can be normalized when they get the iodine they need. This old information is terrific news for the many people (usually women) who have been told to have their thyroid removed to end hyperthyroidism. These draconian measures ensure the patient will have to rely on prescriptive thyroid hormone for the rest of their life. But iodine can completely solve the problem."

Testimonials (per http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/iodine2.html)

Jan from Buffalo, NY writes: "Lugol's cure for Hyperthyroidism. 2 years ago I went to the doctor for fast pulse rate. Resting it was 105 to 110 bpm. He sent me to an endocrinologist who recommended the radioactive pill approach to killing the thyroid. I asked him about Iodine. He was very specific about how dangerous it would be to treat it with Iodine. I went home and ordered a bottle of Lugol's from the internet and three days later having taken doses for 3 days, my pulse rate was below 75 and the swollen throat had subsided. It was common goiter. The allopathic treatment seems to be kill the thyroid and take T4 for the rest of your life. there should be a law against the quackery practiced in modern medicine. What a waste of 12 years of education."

More Information straight from Dr. Guy Abraham (per http://www.healthsalon.org/450/iodin...-e-abraham-md/)

"During the last 10 years the writer has treated a large number of cases of hyperthyroidism, and with most of them the administration of iodine has been a part of the treatment. There is no danger in so doing if the dose is properly regulated. The extreme sensitiveness described by some writers is a rare event. If the dose is properly regulated there need be no fear of iodism or iodine Basedowism.”
Starr, et al 65 from the Massachusetts General Hospital used 15 drops (90 mg) of Lugol gaily for the treatment of exophthalmic goiter, with a 92% success fate, eliminating he need for surgery. “Of these 25 cases, 20 (80%) responded to iodine by a more or less extensive remission of the disease. Of these 20, 12 (48%) responded with the acute iodine resembling the effect produced by subtotal thyroidectomy. In the remaining eight (32%) the remission occurred, but was less extensive. In five unsuccessful cases (20%) two of the patients were pregnant, and one had cardiac decompensation. If these are omitted from the calculation, iodine administration was successful in 20 of 23, or 92% of our hospital cases.”

A cursory review of the literature suggests that the use of Lugol solution in Graves’ disease, the preferred approach by thyroidologists of that time, resulted in a higher success rate with fewer complications than the use of iodine and iodide alone. 45,57,60-66 The daily amount of Lugol solution used in Graves’ disease ranged from one drop (6.25 mg) to 30 drops (180 mg). A complete nutritional program in our experience improved further the response to orthoiodosupplementation in Graves’ disease and other thyroid disorders.
No serious attempt was made by physicians of the early 1900s to incorporate a complete nutritional program with Lugol supplementation in the management of thyroid disorders. The reason is that not much was known about vitamins, minerals, and essential trace elements at that time. Today, the importance of good nutrition in overall well-being is commonly accepted, and more and more publications are emphasizing the interaction between micronutrients in their overall effects on biological systems. We have incorporated a total nutritional program with orthoiodosupplementation, emphasizing magnesium instead of calcium (discussed further in Section VII). The effect of this nutritional program with orthoiodosupplementation on thyroid function tests in a 40-years-old female patient with severe hyperthyroidism is displayed in Table 3."

"Published studies on the safe and effective use of Lugol solution in Graves’ disease mysteriously disappeared during the 1940s and afterward, concurrent with the appearance of iodophobic publications and the promotion of goitrogens as an alternative to Lugol solution in the management of Graves’ disease. (See Table 4.) Introduced in 1943 by E.B. Astwood 67 for the management of Graves’ disease in the forms of thiourea and thiouracil, these goitrogens evolved into more powerful ones, 68 and eventually the thiionamides: methimazole, carbimazole, and propylthiouracil. These goitrogens rapidly replace inorganic iodine/iodide in the management of Graves’ disease. The synchronization of iodophobic publications with the introduction of goitrogens to replace inorganic iodine/iodide (Table 4) was a brilliant move, and it worked wonderfully. Obviously, no one was awake to ask questions. In 1953, when Godley and Stanbury 69 introduced a new goitrogen, potassium perchlorate, in the treatment of hyperthyroidism, they acknowledged that the thiionamides were used widely in Graves’ disease, instead of inorganic iodine/iodide. “At the present time propylthiouracil, methylthiouracil and 1-methyl-2-mercaptoimidazole (methimazole) are widely employed in the preparation of thyrotoxic patients for surgery, and to a lesser extent in the chronic control of the overactive thyroid gland (5).” This new goitrogen, that is potassium perchlorate, was so toxic that it was removed from circulation shortly after its introduction. Reintroduction of this goitrogen is currently being attempted by lowering the recommended dosage.70 Astwood and his associates reported very high remission rates in Graves’ disease with use of goitrogens, which mislead thyroidologists and encouraged them to use these drugs instead of inorganic iodine/iodide. In two studies published in 1953 and 1966, his teams reported a remission rate of 50-75%.71, 72 However, his findings could not be reproduced by others. Wartofsky 73in 1973, and Reynolds and Kotchen74 in 1979 observed much lower remission rates of 11-16%. Increased ingestion of iodine/iodide by the patients was blamed by Wartofsky for the low success rate. Wartofsky’s study was done at a time when one slice of bread contained the full RDA for iodine. In an attempt to improve success rate with goitrogens, patients were told to limit their intake of iodine, which discouraged further its use by the patients. Wartofsky, et al 73 failed to realize that iodization of bakery products started several years before the second study by Astwood, et al 72 published in 1966, which reported a very high success rate. In 1965, London, et al 25 reported an estimated iodine intake of 1 mg/day with 726 mg coming from bakery products. In the end, one concludes that Astwood’s optimistic reports on the use of goitrogens in Graves’ disease could not be reproduced by others. Since the word “goitrogens” implies goiter-causing drugs, Astwood called them antithyroid drugs. So, instead of normalizing thyroid function physiologically with sufficient amounts of inorganic, non-radioactive iodine/iodide, thyroidologists became destructive in their approach with goitrogens and radioiodide, resulting in hypothyroidism in the majority of those unfortunate patients who eventually join the ever-increasing T4 consuming population.

In the 1980s, thyroidologists in the US decreased their use of goitrogens in Graves’ disease due to low remission rate and side effects and relied more and more on inorganic iodide, but unfortunately the wrong kind (i.e., the radioactive kind). Thyroidologists en masse joined the nuclear age. In 1990, a survey by the American Thyroid Association76″This chapter considers the three forms of treatment of thyrotoxicosis — antithyroid drugs, radioactive iodine (radioiodine), and thyroidectomy —- that are in wide use now.” In a subsection entitled “Other drugs used in the treatment of thyrotoxicosis caused by Graves’ disease,” Cooper stated, “The effect of iodide on thyroid function are complex and are discussed in detail in the section on the effects of excess iodide in Chapter 13.” The reader is preconditioned to be in an iodophobic mode when he goes to Chapter 13, an ominous number, with “excess iodide” in the title and where inorganic iodine/iodide is blamed for the severs side effects of organic iodine-containing drugs such as amiodarone, and is called “a pathogen.”

Obviously, the unsuspecting thyroidologist relying solely on this textbook for information will avoid inorganic iodine/iodide like leprosy. However, if he is inquisitive and searches the literature carefully, he may read the publication by Phillipou, et al,4who studied the effect of inorganic iodide on thyroid functions and compared his results with the effects of amiodarone, “We can, therefore, conclude that the effect of amiodarone, benziodarone, Na iopanate, and other iodine containing substances with similar effects is due to the entire molecule, and not to the iodine liberated. It should be noted that the cytotoxic effect of amiodarone in all cultures is also due to the entire molecule, and not to the iodine present in it.” It is most amazing that no one so far has proposed the use of inorganic, non-radioactive iodine/iodide at 9 mg/day in patients with cardiac arrhythmia. Indeed, we have a zombified medical profession. Case in point, patients are told to protect their thyroid gland from radioactive fallout by ingesting inorganic, if diagnosed with Graves’ disease, are told to stop taking inorganic, non-radioactive iodine/iodide to penetrate their thyroid gland, a destructive dose that is! Does that make any sense?"

#64 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jane, I totally forgot to quote you from somewhere earlier. I can share my experience starting Iodoral, it's nothing earth-shattering. For background, my health issues are mercury related, it's my fillings. The kids (5yo daughter, 3yo son) are affected too, though in very different ways.

I started taking Iodoral when my son was about 4 months old. Knowing nothing (and having no idea that my health issues were anymore serious than hypothyroidism that was only very, very, very slowly showing up in my bloodwork, so no meds to help), I just started at 1 tablet, didn't taper up or anything, or ever go higher than that. Some of my hypo symptoms got a bit better, my hair stopped falling out (it had become obvious that this was more than the normal post-partum hair loss) and a bit of my mental fogginess got better. So enough to keep taking it, but not enough to make me feel like a real, functional human being.

I didn't have any negative symptoms at all. If I was taking any nutritional support back then, it wasn't terribly impressive, I think just a standard multivitamin. In retrospect I'm still not sure if/how much mercury and arsenic I mobilized to my son. And I don't seem to have a halide issue, at least not to the level of symptoms (since I'm sure I've got some halides along with scads of other weird stuff).

I've started taking it again, I guess it's been about 3 months. For simplicity, I've just stayed at 1 Iodoral a day while I focus on other stuff. Not sure if that's good, bad, or indifferent, I'm reading the thread to figure it out! Need to go back and read a couple of the optimox links from Jane, I think they're going to argue that I should just take more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
I have a bunch of amalgam fillings that I can't just get rid of. Will iodine cause the mercury to leach out & into my breastmilk? I really don't want to 'poison' ds.

Ami
Ami, I've never seen anything to suggest that iodine will pull mercury out of your fillings. I've read that a few oddball supplements can (not vit/min supps) though even there I'm not completely sure--is it being pulled out, or is mobilizing what these really toxic people have stored already? Either way, I wouldn't worry about your fillings for taking iodine, but if you are a person who's stored up a lot of mercury (and thus presumably your overall detoxification pathways have gotten clogged and you haven't detoxified other stuff, including halides, that's more to think about).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Ok, I am doing the iodine loading test today. So I had to take a full 50mg Iodoral pill. Now I feel nauseous. Could it be from the iodine?

I'm taking the rest of my supplements as usual.

ETA: I"m interested in the salt flush as well. Someone recommended I do a C flush for other reasons. I'm wondering if its ok to do both, maybe alternating weeks.
I think the salt flush is to immediately increase your tolerance for the iodine. I'm sorry you feel icky after taking 50mg--maybe you'll be okay if you wait a few days and then just take 12.5? If 12.5 is fine, you could just do that for a while, and then decide to increase to 25 if you want to. I think the salt flush would be most useful if you can't even do 12.5, so if you can, you can skip it for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Dd is 2.5, but still nurses a lot. I'm hoping that this will be one of the last pieces of the puzzle, though, so hopefully that frequency will drop pretty soon.

Thanks for clearing up some of the nursing stuff. I was getting scared from reading the iodine list, but it sounds like that could have been largely just an issue of we don't know so don't do it.

So how important is the loading test? Or can we just assume we're deficient and start supping? Is it really useful to have that starting value to come back and compare?
I don't know if it's a good approach or not, for now I'm just starting and staying at 12.5. i guess it depends on how quickly you want to get everything straightened out. I've got a plan (developed it on this vacation) to try to have myself straightened out by next April, so I have time. i think your timeline is shorter.
#65 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 10:26 PM

For fertility, add iodine (link)

If you have or are having difficulty becoming pregnant, chances are pretty good that iodine deficiency is your culprit. Your whole body needs iodine and the highest concentrations can be found in your uterus and ovaries among others. Hypothyroidism A.K.A. Iodine deficiency can cause menstrual irregularities, decreased sex drive, miscarriage, failure to ovulate, premature childbirth and pre-eclampsia. Some women experience an autoimmune version of hypothyroidism in which their bodies are producing killer cells which attacks their own tissues (including their own thyroid or an embryo). Though Iodine is the number one supplement it works synergistically with other vitamins, minerals and nutrients. The consequences of not resolving your deficiencies is the likeliness that you will not be able to maintain a pregnancy without treatment.

Deficiency of iodine seems to cause more damage in developing embryos and in fact, in pregnant women iodine deficiency causes abortions and stillborns. It is not cretinism alone that holds risks from deficiency, but the very survival of the infant itself. Adequate iodine may also provide protection from infection and vaccine damage. In a study done on 617 infants between the ages of 6 weeks and six months, in an iodine deficient area, it was shown that with the addition of 100 mg of iodine oil to the diet of newborns, that the death rate of infants was markedly lower than for those without any supplementation.

Hypothyroidism is a common cause of infertility in women and incompetent sperm in men. Many childless couples have the misfortune to be hypothyroid (one or both partners) and yet not have an abnormal lab value (T3 or T4 test) to convince the doctor to prescribe thyroid replacement therapy.

Disturbed Menstrual Flow

Another common symptom of hypothyroidism is dysfunction of the female cycle. In children, the onset of menses may be delayed or, paradoxically, it may come years early with hypothyroidism. At the other end, menopause may happen much too early or much too late. During childbearing years the menstrual cycle may be upset in just about any pattern imaginable. The most common condition is that of irregular bleeding. The lining of the uterus, the endometrium, just like other tissues in the body, requires thyroid hormone for proper growth and function.

Pregnancy

Iodine during pregnancy is so much more important than anything else. Severe iodine deficiency in a mother's diet during pregnancy increases the risk of miscarriage and stillbirth. If the baby survives to term, it is likely to suffer irreversible mental retardation. This is known as cretinism and is a major cause of preventable intellectual impairment in low iodine areas. Mildly iodine-deficient children have learning disabilities and poor motivation. The developing fetus, newborn and young children are most susceptible to the effects of an iodine- deficient diet, and treatment before conception or in early pregnancy is essential to prevent irreversible damage. Breast milk contains more iodine than formula milk and premature babies who are formula-fed may be at risk of deficiency.

In newborns, iodine deficiency causes cretinism (neonatal hypothyroidism), which is characterized by jaundice, poor appetite, constipation, a hoarse cry, outpouching of the navel (umbilical hernia), and slowed bone growth. If not diagnosed and treated within a few months of birth, iodine deficiency results in mental retardation. Iodine deficiency that begins in childhood (juvenile hypothyroidism) slows growth, sometimes resulting in disproportionately short limbs as well as delayed development of teeth.

Ideally one would achieve full body sufficiency of not just Iodine but all other vitamins and mineral prior to trying to conceive, However, if you are already pregnant congratulations!) there is more to it than pop an iodine pill. The whole point is to encourage you to be more active in your health care, and that means giving you the pros and cons so that you can make an informed decision. Because iodine pushes out heavy metals some will cross the placenta and affect your unborn baby, although it will anyways because your body naturally does this, the iodine increases the amount excreted. However, the iodine your child receives is beneficial in helping their bodies excrete toxic metals as well, as you can read below, any risks are far outweighed by the benefits of iodine supplementation. I have yet to find any cons when it comes to supplementation during pregnancy or bfing, if I do find anything I will post it.

"Growth and development of 207 children (49% males; mean age 5.4 years [SD 0.2], range 4 to 7.3 years whose mothers received iodine during pregnancy, and children who received iodine first in their 2nd year, were examined in 1996; 192 children (49% males; mean age 6.5 years[SD 0.2], range 5.8 to 6.9 years) whose mothers received iodine while pregnant were seen in 1998. Children were from the southern part of China's Xinjiang Province which has the lowest levels of iodine in water and soil ever recorded. Head circumference but not height was improved for those who received iodine during pregnancy (compared with those receiving iodine at age 2) and for those supplemented before the end of the 2nd trimester (relative to those supplemented during the 3rd trimester). Iodine before the 3rd trimester predicted higher psychomotor test scores for children relative to those provided iodine later in pregnancy or at 2 years. Results from the test for cognitive development resulted in trend only differences between those children supplemented during pregnancy versus later."

"Iodine prophylaxis given before or during pregnancy has resulted in improved cognitive functioning in offspring in Ecuador"

"The literature search revealed that 60 million mainland Japanese consume a daily average of 13.8 mg of elemental iodine and they are one of the healthiest nations, based on overall wellbeing and cancer statistics (4). Japanese women do not stop consuming iodine-rich foods during pregnancy, and Japanese fetuses are exposed to maternal peripheral levels of iodide at concentrations of 10-5M to 10-6M (1-4). Either the Japanese are mutants, capable of striving on toxic levels of iodine or we have been grossly deceived, and the human body needs at least 100 times the RDA, which was established very recently in 1980 and confirmed in 1989!! (7)"

It affects animals in the same way!

"The results demonstrated that iodine supplementation restores fertility of sheep living in iodine deficient areas and may represent a means to achieve a silent iodine prophylaxis of local populations."

Anderson’s ‘LSD file’ holds a pile of research papers (mainly international) linking iodine, vitamin E and selenium with better immune responses and lamb survival when given pre-lambing. Research covers sheep and cows, even American buffalo and Awassi sheep.

There is also research on the benefits of selenium and iodine given pre-tuppping. For example, ewes given 50mg of selenium three weeks before mating had heavier twin lambs. The lambs also had a ‘boosted’ immune system (levels of glutathione peroxidase).

In another trial, iodine deficient ewes were given a ‘hefty’ 480mg dose of iodine pre-tupping and had a radically improved lambing percentage. In this overseas trial, the ewes achieved 100% vs only 37% for non-supplemented ewes (Ferris, 2003).

"Iodine supplementation (20 mg KI twice weekly) to ewes during the last month of pregnancy and the first 3 months of lactation increased productivity. Production traits enhanced by this treatment included the birth weight (3.9 vs 3.5 kg; P < 0.01), survival (84% vs 64 %), growth rate (P < 0.05), and mature SIP wool follicle ratio of lambs (1 4.9 ¦ 1.2 vs 10.3 ¦ 1.6). "

#66 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 10:30 PM

ADD & ADHD

Attention deficit disorders and mild-moderate iodine deficiency The purpose of this observational study was to determine whether mild-moderate iodine deficiency during pregnancy is associated with attention deficit and hyperactivity disorders (ADHD) (4). The study involved a small sample of women who lived in two areas of Sicily, where iodine intakes were either moderately deficient (area A, n=16) or marginally sufficient (area B, n=11). The iodine status of the general population was known to differ in the two areas, based on the prevalence of goiter (24% in area A vs. 7.8% in area B) and urinary iodine excretion. The authors monitored thyroid function of the mothers during pregnancy and of the children at 18-36 months in 1994 and 8-10 years of age from 2001-2002. Two independent examiners, who were unaware of the mother’s thyroid status, conducted behavioral and neurological evaluations of the children at the same time points.

Thyroid failure occurred in early pregnancy among 50% (n=8) of the women in area A but only transiently among 9% (n=1) of the area B women. All children had normal thyroid function at birth and afterward at the two follow-up time points, and none showed any neurological signs typically seen in iodine deficiency disorders. However, 68.7% of the children from area A (11 of 16) were diagnosed with ADHD, compared to none of the children in area B. Total IQ scores were lower in area A than in area B (92.1 vs 110, p < 0.00005).

A high prevalence of ADHD has been reported before in children with genetic traits that interfere with thyroid function. The authors suggest that varying and mild degrees of thyroid failure occurring early in pregnancy as a result of iodine deficiency may affect fetal brain development and result in the ADHD syndrome. However, the study involved a very small, nonrandom sample, and it is doubtful, on ethical grounds, that a clinical trial could be conducted to confirm these results.

Study of the link between iodine deficiency and ADHD (link)

Over a period of almost 10 yr, we carried out a prospective study of the neuropsychological development of the offspring of 16 women from a moderately iodine-deficient area (area A) and of 11 control women from a marginally iodine-sufficient area (area B) whose thyroid function had been monitored during early gestation. Attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) was diagnosed in 11 of 16 area A children (68.7%) but in none from area B. Total intelligence quotient score was lower in area A than in area B children (92.1 +/- 7.8 vs. 110 +/- 10) and in ADHD children when compared with both non-ADHD children from the same area and control children (88.0 +/- 6.9 vs. 99.0 +/- 2.0 and 110 +/- 10, respectively). Seven of 11 ADHD children (63.6%) were born to the seven of eight area A mothers who became hypothyroxinemic at early gestation, whereas only one of five non-ADHD children was born to a woman who was hypothyroxinemic at 20 wk of gestation. So far, a similar prevalence of ADHD has been reported only in children with generalized resistance to thyroid hormones. This might suggest a common ADHD pathogenetic mechanism consisting either of reduced sensitivity of the nuclear receptors to thyroid hormone (generalized resistance to thyroid hormones) or reduced availability of intracellular T3 for nuclear receptor binding. The latter would be the ultimate consequence of maternal hypothyroxinemia (due to iodine deficiency), resulting in a critical reduction of the source of the intracellular T3 available to the developing fetal brain.

Emotional Disorders

Any and every emotional disorder can be brought on or simulated by thyroid dysfunction. Hypothyroidism slows the thought process, produces depression and sometimes hallucinations, delusions and even paranoia. Slowness of thought and activity is a hallmark of this disease. When present and untreated from early childhood, the final outcome of severe hypothyroidism is idiocy, growth failure and early death in the late teens or early twenties. In adulthood, a change in personality or depression, fatigue, uncharacteristic irritability or a change in sleep pattern should raise a suspicion of thyroid dysfunction.

Hyperactivity of Childhood

During childhood, hyperactivity and a short attention span are typical of hypothyroidism. These children often are treated with Ritalin, an amphetamine-like drug, or amphetamines themselves. Apparently, this solves the problem of fatigue for the child and allows for better concentration and less hyperactivity. The more appropriate treatment, of course, would be thyroid replacement. ,Milder hypothyroidism can allow growth to be normal and even produce extreme height due to a delayed closing of the epiphyses where bone elongation takes place during growth. Tall hypothyroid patients are not rare.

Autism

Iodine: For the children with ASD, the mean level of iodine was much lower (45%) than for the control children, and the difference was highly statistically significant (p=0.005). When the subgroup of age 3-6 years was considered, the magnitude of the difference was almost identical (47%), although the difference was not statistically significant due to the smaller number of children in the subgroup. This suggests that iodine could be an important factor in the early development of autism, presumably through its effect on thyroid function. Iodine deficiency was extremely common in parts of the US in the early 1900’s, and caused many cases of goiters (enlarged thyroid) and cretinism (a form of mental retardation due to iodine deficiency). This prompted the federal government to mandate that iodine be added to salt (iodinized salt). However, based on our informal phone survey of several major snack food and fast food manufacturers, non-iodinized salt seems to be the form primarily used in french fries, potato chips, and other snack foods commonly eaten by young children. So, it is plausible that a small fraction of children in the US could still be marginally deficient in iodine, and that this could significantly affect their mental status. Also, it should be pointed out that according to the NHANES surveys I and III [11], average iodine levels in the US (measured in the urine) have declined more than 50% during the 20 year period from 1971-1974 to 1988-1994, so that an increasing fraction of the population has low levels of iodine that are likely to increase the risk for mental retardation. Thus, low iodine levels could be a cause or exacerbating factor for autism. However, it needs to be pointed out that hair measurements have not been validated for iodine as reflective of body status, so future studies of iodine levels in blood are warranted, as well as studies of thyroid function in autism.

Results:

* Iodine: Children with autism have low levels of iodine (needed for proper thyroid functioning and to prevent mental retardation). Iodine deficiency is the most common worldwide cause of mental retardation.
* Lithium: Children with autism and their mothers have low levels of lithium, which is needed to prevent behavior problems.
* Pica: Children with pica often had low chromium in their hair.
* Low Muscle Tone: Children with autism and low muscle tone had low levels of potassium, which is needed for proper muscle function.

Low iodine is the major cause of mental retardation worldwide (over 80 million cases) - becoming more common in US (decreased use of iodinized salt).

Still looking for the additional info on OCD to add...

#67 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 10:33 PM

Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue

Drs. Abraham, Flechas and Brownstein tested more than 4,000 patients taking iodine in daily doses ranging from 12.5 to 50 mg, and in those with diabetes, up to 100 mg a day. These investigators found that “iodine does indeed reverse fibrocystic disease; their diabetic patients require less insulin; hypothyroid patients, less thyroid medication; symptoms of fibromyalgia resolve, and patients with migraine headaches stop having them.” We can expect even better results when iodine is combined with magnesium chloride.

Individuals that struggle with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue are numerous throughout our society. The adrenal glands are the key to unlocking the full health of these individuals.

You hurt all over and are constantly exhausted; you have consulted your physician but have been unable to locate the cause of your discomfort. Lab results all come back negative. Many times, you have been told that it is “all in your head”. To many, this reality of day-to-day living has been classified as fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue.

Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue affect the lifestyle of people worldwide; suffering all day long with adrenaline (epinephrine) overload, which is related to cortisol deficiency. Many have given up hope of regaining their energy and zest for life due to the professed incurable nature of these disorders. Contrary to popular belief, there is a great amount that can be done to improve and eliminate fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue.

Adaptation

The body is a master at adaptation. As an example, when one walks into a dark room, the pupils of the eyes immediately dilate to allow for the passage of more light; this process allows one to see in the dark by enhancing vision. When undergoing excessive amounts of stress, the body adapts in a similar fashion. Specific hormones, epinephrine and norepinephrine, are produced in the adrenal glands to empower the body to respond to the stress. After the stress has passed, the body should return to a normal state of balance.

Epinephrine and norepinephrine, also know as adrenalin, produce what is called a “fight or flight” response in the body. These powerful hormones are quickly released when one encounters any degree of stress. This response allows the individual to properly face the stress or flee from it.

In response to epinephrine and norepinephrine, the body undergoes many changes. The need for oxygen increases, muscles receive more glucose, blood pressure increases, eyes dilate, heart rate increases, digestion decreases, and blood is shunted to the legs. All of these responses encourage alertness and physical strength. If the stressful situation continues, the body releases an additional hormone called cortisol which increases blood sugar by breaking down fat and protein in the body and also increases blood pressure. These powerful hormones dramatically alter the function of the entire body.

If the body is unable to return to normalcy due to continual levels of stress, the results of fight or flight will have a cumulative negative effect upon the body. The following symptoms may be experienced: fatigue, headaches, indigestion, depression, insomnia, weight gain, muscle soreness, increase of pain, restlessness, anxiety, high blood sugar, constipation, diarrhea, decrease immunity, loss of concentration, memory problems, decrease sex drive, joint pain, muscle wasting, sore throat, allergies, panic attacks, heart palpitations and fainting. These symptoms are those that are regularly mentioned by those that struggle with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue.

With this valuable information, how then can one decrease their stress levels and turn off the fight or flight response that is spiraling out of control? The answer lies in the function of the adrenal glands.

The Adrenals

When the adrenal glands are worked overtime, they become worn out and decline in productivity. They begin to break down proteins and other vital components of the body to produce the needed stress hormones. The body literally sacrifices health for survival.

In order to treat the stress that is causing the fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue symptoms, one can modify diet, relaxation habits, sleep, nutrition, and perception.

Adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism often go hand in hand with stress causing a rise in CRH and cortisol levels which suppress thyroid function. If the stress continues cortisol remains raised and compensates for less thyroid hormone but eventually the adrenal glands cannot sustain this level of cortisol output and adrenal fatigue results.

Experts such as Dr. Barry Durrant-Peatfield, author of 'Your Thyroid and How to Keep it Healthy', recommend treating both underactive adrenal and thyroid glands at the same time.

By treating the adrenal glands, one will begin to experience more energy, a balance of body weight and much more! Due to the increased level of stress present within our society, adrenal treatment can not only help and assist those struggling with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, but it can also prevent future outbreaks.

Herbs used to help reduce stress and improve immune system and adrenal function include ginseng, rhodiola, Siberian ginseng, ashwaganda, and licorice. It’s important to support the adrenal glands, which may be exhausted in long-standing hypothyroidism, when starting iodine supplementation. (adapted article from http://www.healthmad.com/Health/Adre...Fatigue.127053)

A simple way to test yourself at home for adrenal fatigue

Equipment required: chair, small flashlight, mirror, a watch (with a second hand), and a dark room.

In a darkened room, sit in a chair in front of a mirror. Holding the flashlight at the side of your head, shine it across one eye (not into the eye). Watch what happens in the mirror.

You should see your pupil contract immediately after the light hits the eye. The pupil will normally stay contracted, but if you have adrenal fatigue, the pupil won't be able to hold its contraction and will dilate. This dilation will take place within 2 minutes and last for about 30-45 seconds before it contracts again. Time how long the dilation lasts and record it along with the date. Retest monthly as it serves as an indicator of recovery.

Testimony of Fibromyalgia and the use of Iodine

The following testimony can be found at http://www.quackcenter.com/iodoralresults.html
7-22-07 Amazing note from Tammi with her reorder:
Nancy,

I have Fibromyalgia really bad, I hurt constantly. I am a Terminal Mgr for a large trucking company, and one of my drivers who broke his finger and had to have a steel plate in it recommended your product and your website. He said his finger did not hurt after taking it and his arthritis was much better. His wife brought me in some and I took 2 a day and started to feel better not really noticing the pain, but I only had a few so then I ran out, I started to hurt again.

I then ordered a bottle and took 2 a day -- sometimes I would miss a day here and there but the pain totally subsided. Well, I ran out about a month ago and being busy did not get around to reordering until the pain came back severely. I am taking pain pills such as Vicoprofen and 800 mg Motrin that I do not take with the Iodoral. I did not do the urine test.

I told my ANP [Nurse Practitioner] about it and she wanted me to bring her some and the information on your website and I told her I would. I really believe it is what is helping my pain, and she wants another patient to try some. It is the only thing I have found that relieves it. Please feel free to use my testimony or email me with more questions if you have any.
Thank you
Tammi

7-28-07 Tammi wrote: "Just so you know, that I got my Iodine, and I am already starting to feel better after 2 days, I should have never let myself run out, I will try to do better on that next time."

8-2-07 Update from Tammi: "The Iodine is really working - my pain is nearly completely gone again."

Testimony of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and the use of Iodine

The following testimony can be found at http://www.quackcenter.com/iodoralresults.html

5-1-05 Here is a note from Sandra. I have her permission to post it here:

"I realize I only ordered enough for 22 days.. So I will need more soon I am sure. I am on 10.5 grains of nature thyroid and that is a lot!! Still, I have been exhausted, can't do much of anything. Depressed and put on 10 pounds. Nails are still weak and hair is dry and brittle. My skin is dry.

"I woke up the morning after I took four Iodoral and jumped up at 9AM with SOO much energy. I have sleep issues and often do not get up until 12 or 1 or even 2 PM depending on time I go to bed. It was amazing I had energy most of the day. However I fell asleep early at night for about an hour then I was UP UP UP for a long time so I know I need it; it wore off in less than a day. I REALLY felt the difference. I went to every kind of doctor imaginable for over 30 years - even out of the country and no one mentioned iodine until this past week although I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism repeatedly. I am so grateful to find you!!!!"

Fibrocystic Breast Disease

"Fibrocystic breasts are characterized by lumpiness and usually discomfort in one or both breasts. The condition is very common and benign, meaning that fibrocystic breasts are not malignant (cancerous). Fibrocystic breast disease (FBD), now referred to as fibrocystic changes or fibrocystic breast condition, is the most common cause of "lumpy breasts" in women and affects more than 60% of women. The condition primarily affects women between the ages of 30 and 50 and tends to become less of a problem after menopause.

The diagnosis of fibrocystic breasts is complicated by the fact that the condition can vary widely in its severity. In some women, the symptoms of fibrocystic breast condition can be very mild with minimal breast tenderness or pain. The symptoms can also be limited in time, usually occurring only premenstrually. It may not even be possible to feel any lumps when the breasts are examined by the woman herself or by her doctor. In other women with fibrocystic breasts, the pain and tenderness are constant, and many lumpy or nodular areas can be felt throughout both breasts." (per webmd.com)

How Iodine supplementation effects FBD (quoted study by Optimox)

"Breast tissue has an affinity for iodine . Iodine deficiency causes fibrocystic breast disease (FBD) with nodules, cyst enlargement, pain and scar tissue . FBD can be characterized by a lumpy painful breast, generally in reproductive aged women. Initially, this syndrome occurs in the premenstrual phase of a cycle or involves the whole cycle. These symptoms can also occur in menopausal women on estrogen therapy. In 1928 an autopsy series reported a three percent incidence of FBD, whereas in 1973 an autopsy report quoted an 89% incidence . A review by the American Academy of Pathology gives a minimum incidence for FBD of 50% but suggests that 80% of North American women are afflicted with the syndrome during their reproductive lifetime .

Ghent et al in 1993, presented data showing that iodine works great to reduce (FBD)(14). He was able to develop a protocol and a scoring system that helps doctors assess how severe a woman’s FBD is. I would recommend that this scoring system be utilized by physicians in their own medical practice. A precise method of recording the patient’s data will help both physicians and patients see the improvement that occurs following orthoiodosupplementation. This simple method numbers the quadrants of each breast one to four. The pathological changes that can occur in FBD are noted as micronodularity, tenderness, fibrous tissue plaques, macrocysts and turgidity. The presence or the absence of changes is recorded. For example if the micro nodularity of macrocysts disease was present in the upper half of the breasts the numerical score would be one for micro nodularity and two for the two breast quadrants scoring a total of three. If all five changes occurred in all quadrants in one breast the score would be 4 (all four breast quadrants) x5 (all five changes) equals 20 and for both breasts would be 40. Patients are also encouraged to evaluate their own symptomology as expressed by a number of zero equals symptoms worse, one equals symptoms unchanged, two equals less pain only premenstrual discomfort, three equals no pain unable to predict menstruation. The subjective scoring system was employed and graded as follows. Zero equals no palpable abnormalities normal, one equals is score of less than 7.2 and a score greater than 7 but less than the pretreatment score and three equals a score greater than the pretreatment score (See Table I).

In my practice, I have over the last four years worked with some 200 women who have FDB. On average, patients come to my office practice with a mean Ghent score of 15.7 and an average age of 41.4 years. On 12.5 mg of iodine, the score after six months will drop from a mean of score 15 down to about 12.8. On 25 mg, the score will drop down to a mean of score is 10.2. On 37.5 mg the score was 8.6. When we prescribe 50 mg of Iodoral (4 tablets) for 3 to 6 months, the average patient will have a score of 7.6 with a p-value less than 0.001 compared to baseline scores. After a full year at 50 mg iodine per day (4 tablets of Iodoralâ ), the patients mean score dropped to 3.8. We saw many patients with a score of zero, meaning no evidence of FBD. We often see patients’ breast pain disappear in a 1 to 30 days at a dose of 50 mg. At lower doses, the pain persisted for a much longer time. The other findings of micronodularity, tenderness, fibrous tissue plaques, macrocysts and turgidity will take almost a full year to fully go away. Ghent felt that a score of seven or below was normal. We did not see any of the patients reach the score of zero, meaning the absence of all of the pathological symptoms and physical findings of fibrocystic breast disease while taking between 12.5 to 37.5 mg per day. Once FBD is gone, a patient may opt to drop iodine intake to 12.5 to 25 mg per day. There is a chance that the cysts will return. Optimum amount for most patients for FBD is 50 mg (4 tablets) per day continued indefinitely. Monitoring the patient’s serum TSH, T4 and free T3 is done every three to six months. We did not see any major changes in serum T4, TSH and free T3 in these patients."

Testimony of Fibrocystic Breast Disease and the use of Iodine

Sept 16, 2005
"Hi Nancy,
"I suffered with breast soreness and pains approximately for 15 years for 3 out of 4 weeks of the month. I started on iodine in January ‘05, within a couple of weeks I noticed a significant difference how they felt! They still get sore approximately 1 week before my period, but NOTHING like they use too!
"Vicki"

5-10-06 I myself don't have cold hands and feet any more, have a lot more pep, and my breasts don't hurt like they did, and feel softer. Those little knots we women seem to get are all gone. I take 7 tablets a day. I think my attitude is better too, because I feel better generally. I can work long hours without running out of steam. Exercise is more fun. I seem to still get sleepy, but not bone-tired like I used to. What a relief. I'll have the urine iodine test again sometime this summer, to see if I'm to sufficiency yet.

7-12-05 Lynn writes:
"I've been using Iodoral for about a month for breast pains. So far so good. Two members of a group I'm in run breast cancer support services so they are quite interested in iodine's role with that. For me it seems to be helping my large breasts reduce down in size. Very interesting as large breasted women seem to need far more iodine than smaller breasted ones do."

PCOS

Until my latest research into iodine deficiency I had no idea that I have mild PCOS. I've had an irregular period pretty much since it started, began developing the usual dark hair on my chin and upper lip and also suffer from unexplained weight gain( all of which have gotten progressively worse with age and the birth of my children). I also have symptoms of hypothyroidism which I believe all women with PCOS suffer from. Coincidently the cure is simple, complete vitamin and mineral nutrition with emphasis on a high Iodine supplement.

Symptoms of PCOS

* infrequent menstrual periods, no menstrual periods, and/or irregular bleeding
* infertility (not able to get pregnant) because of not ovulating
* increased hair growth on the face, chest, stomach, back, thumbs, or toes—a condition called hirsutism (HER-suh-tiz-um)
* ovarian cysts
* acne, oily skin, or dandruff
* weight gain or obesity, usually carrying extra weight around the waist
* insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes
* high cholesterol
* high blood pressure
* male-pattern baldness or thinning hair
* patches of thickened and dark brown or black skin on the neck, arms, breasts, or thighs
* skin tags, or tiny excess flaps of skin in the armpits or neck area
* pelvic pain
* anxiety or depression due to appearance and/or infertility
* sleep apnea—excessive snoring and times when breathing stops while asleep

The Cure

“Iodine deficiency may cause the ovaries to develop cysts, nodules and scar tissue. At its worse this ovarian pathology is very similar to that of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). As of the writing of this article I have five PCOS patients. The patients have successfully been brought under control with the use of 50 mg of iodine per day. Control with these patients meaning cysts are gone, periods every 28 days and type 2 diabetes mellitus under control.” http://iodine4health.com/ortho/flechas_ortho.htm

"Resolution of cysts. Iodine therapy resolves nearly every case of breast cysts. This treatment also can heal ovarian cysts and works well on skin cysts when rubbed over the cyst."http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james37.htm

#68 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 10:37 PM

Diabetes

Doctors Abraham, Flechas and Brownstein tested more than 4,000 patients taking iodine in daily doses ranging from 12.5 to 50 mg, and in those with diabetes, up to 100 mg a day. These investigators found that “iodine does indeed reverse fibrocystic disease; their diabetic patients require less insulin; hypothyroid patients, less thyroid medication; symptoms of fibromyalgia resolve, and patients with migraine headaches stop having them.” We can expect even better results when iodine is combined with magnesium chloride.

Type1 diabetes and the use of Iodine (the following is quoted from http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/IOD-10/IOD_10.htm)

"It was while treating a large 320-pound woman with insulin dependent diabetes that we learned a valuable lesson regarding the role of iodine in hormone receptor function. This woman had come in via the emergency room with a very high random blood sugar of 1,380 mg/dl. She was then started on insulin during her hospitalization and was instructed on the use of a home glucometer. She was to use her glucometer two times per day. Two weeks later on her return office visit for a checkup of her insulin dependent diabetes she was informed that during her hospital physical examination she was noted to have FBD. She was recommended to start on 50 mg of iodine(4 tablets) at that time. One week later she called us requesting to lower the level of insulin due to having problems with hypoglycemia. She was told to continue to drop her insulin levels as long as she was experiencing hypoglycemia and to monitor her blood sugars carefully with her glucometer. Four weeks later during an office visit her glucometer was downloaded to my office computer, which showed her to have an average random blood sugar of 98. I praised the patient for her diligent efforts to control her diet and her good work at keeping her sugars under control with the insulin. She then informed me that she had come off her insulin three weeks earlier and had not been taking any medications to lower her blood sugar. When asked what she felt the big change was, she felt that her diabetes was under better control due to the use of iodine.

Two years later and 70 pounds lighter this patient continues to have excellent glucose control on iodine 50 mg per day. We since have done a study of twelve diabetics and in six cases we were able to wean all of these patients off of medications for their diabetes and were able to maintain a hemoglobin A1C of less than 5.8 with the average random blood sugar of less than 100. To this date these patients continue to have excellent control of their Type II diabetes. The range of daily iodine intake was from 50 mg to 100 mg per day. All diabetic patients were able to lower the total amount of medications necessary to control their diabetes. Two of the twelve patients were controlled with the use of iodine plus one medication. Two patients have control of diabetes with iodine plus two medications. One patient had control of her diabetes with three medications plus iodine 50 mg. The one insulin dependent diabetic was able to reduce the intake of Lantus insulin from 98 units to 44 units per day within a period of a few weeks.

In the Type 1 diabetics that we have been following we have noted that if C-peptide is measurable, this would suggest that the individual is making their own insulin. I have been able to help this group of patients to get off insulin or to greatly reduce the amount they need for good glucose control with Iodoralâ at 4 tablets/day (50 mg). If C-peptide is absent then we feel there is no insulin being produced and we have not been able to help this particular group of patients to get off their insulin. We have been able to help these patients lower the total amount of insulin needed to control their glucose."

Glaucoma

Iodine is concentrated in certain parts of the eye and has been used therapeutically for various eye diseases and infections.

Iodine may be useful for dry eyes, cataracts, infections, glaucoma, and UVB protection.

Winkler et al found that the iodine content in the ocular tissues showed the following rank order: cornea > retina > vitreous body > anterior chamber fluid > lens. They discuss the possible protective, antioxidative, and OH-scavenging efficacy of iodide. They have researched using iodide for UVB-protection, dry eyes, and cataracts.

Elstner et al focus on iodide and cataracts, as well as the antioxidant effect of iodide.

Bolt discusses the use of povidone eye drops -- how they are used today and how they were used historically.

Howenstine suggests that iodine may be implicated in glaucoma.

Mazumdar investigated lacrimal gland peroxidase and iodide in sheep.

Using Iodine to treat Glaucoma

Here is a testimonial that can be found at
http://www.curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=878652

"My dad has both glaucoma and cataracts. The surgery was for the cataracts. There is no surgery for glaucoma. The only "solution" is the use of pressure reducing eye drops which are meant to be taken forever once started (so the doc said).

HOWEVER, as he measured the pressure today it turned out to be completely normal.
This means that the cataract surgery would now be safe to do, whereas if someone also has glaucoma the high pressure makes it risky.

BUT the doc also CANCELLED the surgery for now. He said to wait and see if the cataracts will improve/go away by continuing the Lugols!! He was very impressed that the Iodine got the eye pressure down to normal. As I mentioned before, my dad did not use the prescribed eye drops more than a couple times, simply to give his eyes a rest of the pressure. He has not taken them for two weeks already at all.

So, my dad is now waiting to see if the cataracts will go away with Lugol. If not, he would still need the surgery, BUT it wont be risky anymore, which was a real concern.

I am hopeful he wont need surgery in the end, since iodine is also indicated for cataracts
http://iodine4health.com/body/body.htm "

#69 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 10:39 PM

Skin Cancer

The research of Dr Tullio Simoncini (oncologist) in Rome shows that skin cancers epithileomas, basaliomas, and melanomas are caused by Candida fungus.

Epithileomas, basaliomas, and melanomas cancers have all been successfully treated an iodine solution of 7%. This destroys the proteins in the fungus completely and works very quickly.

http://www.lifeenergysolutions.com/b...n-cancer-cure/

“We placed am 83-year-old woman on ortho-iodo supplementation for six months at 50 mgs of elemental iodine daily. She experienced a tremendous increase in energy, endurance, well being, and memory. At six months all her skin peeled off and was replaced by new, younger-looking skin. She was flabbergasted and amazed at her new appearance. In our experience older women (especially over 65) noticed a major difference both physically and mentally,” wrote Dr. Guy Abraham, an endocrinologist who today is providing the backbone of the movement back toward the use of iodine as an essential safe and effective medicine.

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/iodine.html

Breast Cancer

As iodine consumption has gone down, breast cancer rates have gone up. But the
research goes far deeper, exploring the effects of iodine supplementation on breast disease and breast cancer. This important breakthrough has been in the research pipeline for years but only recently found momentum. After sifting through 50 years of iodine research and corresponding with researchers around the world, the editors report that abnormal iodine metabolism, due either to bromide dominance in the environment or a dietary deficiency of iodine, must be addressed as part of a preventive and or a therapeutic strategy.

Iodine Deficiency Growing Worse

* Iodine consumption by Americans has dropped 50% since the 1970s as breast cancer rates have risen (1). In the US Goiter Belt, where iodine in the soil is lower, breast cancer is higher (2).

* By contrast, the incidence and severity of breast cancer are less in Japan than in Europe and the US, attributable to the diet (3). Japanese women consume 25 times more dietary iodine than North American women and have lower breast cancer rates (4).

* Meanwhile, since the 1970s, in the US and several other countries, iodine-blocking bromides have been added to flour, some sodas, and medications, exacerbating the iodine deficiency.

* Fluoridated drinking water also depletes iodine absorption. Thus, as women consume less iodine and excrete more due to toxic elements, our risk for breast cancer grows(5).

Iodine and Benign Breast Disease

* Blocking iodine in rats' food supply led to progressive human-like fibrocystic disease (atypia, sclerosing, calcifications, dysplastic changes) as the rats aged (6). Supplementing patients with fibrocystic disease with iodine helped to resolve fibrosis and reduced breast size (7).

* For women with painful breasts accompanying fibrocystic disease, iodine improved symptoms in more than 50% of the women who took 6.0 mg. of iodine for 6 months (8), and brown sea alga improved pain and nodularity in 94% of the women (9). From the editors' observations of the Iodine Investigation Project participants, depending on the kind of iodine agent used, painful breast symptoms have resolved in from 24 hours to two months.

* Since benign breast disease increases the risk of breast cancer (10), and iodine improves fibrocystic disease, we at Breast Cancer Choices propose studies to see if iodine supplementation decreases the risk of getting breast cancer and the risk of recurrence.

http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/iodine.html

Prostate Cancer

Iodine lack is known to be a factor in the development of breast and prostate cancer. Sixty patients with a variety of cancers were studied. All sixty patients were found to have serious iodine deficiency.
...Another physician has seen a case of prostate cancer go into remission after taking Iodoral and supplements.
Iodine appears to work for prostate cancer as prostate cancer is similar to breast cancer in many ways. Indeed, it likely will help with most cancers. Also higher doses of iodine are required for inflammatory breast cancer. As well we know that large doses of intravenous iodine are harmless which makes one wonder what effect this would have on cancer growth.”

According to Dr Guy Abraham Iodine is detected in every organ and tissue in the body. And so essential is it for life that a deficiency in it will bring a wide variety of afflictions (including cancer) that are difficult to trace back to the trace mineral,iodine. It used to be routinely added to bread as a supplement up until 20 years ago.

Endocrine Cancers And Iodine Stores

Iodine deficiency is a recognized risk factor in the development of cancer of the breast, prostate, and probably the ovary and endometrium. Breast cancer is twice as common (12.1 %) in women taking natural thyroid hormone or synthetic thyroid hormone as in women not taking thyroid hormones (6.2 %). The risk for breast cancer in women taking thyroid hormones increases with time. Women who had taken thyroid hormone for 15 years had a 19.5 % incidence of breast cancer while women who had been on thyroid hormone therapy for five years had only a 10 % incidence of breast cancer. This increase in breast cancer with time suggests that correction of a iodine deficiency might well eliminate the need for thyroid hormone and would also lower the incidence of breast cancer.

Japanese women, who are eating lots of seaweed, have the highest iodine intake (13.8 mg. daily) of women anywhere in the world. They also have the lowest incidence of breast cancer in the world. Japan has one of the lowest worldwide rates of every type of cancer with the exception of stomach cancer. In addition Japan has one of the lowest incidences of iodine deficiency, goiter (enlarged thyroid gland), and hypothyroidism. Iceland, another high iodine intake country, has low rates of goiter and breast cancer. Two countries with low iodine intakes (Thailand, Mexico) have high rates of breast cancer and goiter.

Patient Studies with Iodine Therapy

A patient of Dr. Rowen named Betty had severely painful breast cysts. She took 5 mg. of iodine daily with complete disappearance of painful breast cysts.

Veronica, another patient of Dr. Rowen, had advanced breast cancer with severe hip pain from a bone metastasis. Iodine loading test showed severe deficiency of iodine. After three months of Iodoral she still has not restored her iodine levels but her excretion of bromine has increased 10 fold. Her cancer therapy with IPT and artemisin has been stable with only an occasional IPT and she continues with 25 mg. of Iodoral three times daily. Dr. Abrahams relates that he has seen two remissions of breast cancer in persons taking 75 mg of Iodorol daily. Iodine deficiency plays a role in allowing breast cancer and prostate cancer to develop.

Another physician has seen a case of prostate cancer go into remission after taking Iodoral and supplements.
http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james37.htm

#70 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 10:48 PM

http://charles_w.tripod.com/fluoride.html

#71 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I don't know if it's a good approach or not, for now I'm just starting and staying at 12.5. i guess it depends on how quickly you want to get everything straightened out. I've got a plan (developed it on this vacation) to try to have myself straightened out by next April, so I have time. i think your timeline is shorter.
Yeah, my timeline is that ppaf is here, and when I get pg, I get pg. So I'm in the 'highly motivated' category

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#72 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 10:56 PM

Potassium Bromate Termed a Cancer Threat (Link) Per CSPI Newsroom

WASHINGTON - The Center for Science in the Public Interest today petitioned the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to prohibit the use of potassium bromate, which is used to strengthen bread dough. CSPI charged that the FDA has known for years that bromate causes cancers in laboratory animals, but has failed to ban it.

Bromate was first found to cause tumors in rats in 1982. Subsequent studies on rats and mice confirmed that it causes tumors of the kidney, thyroid, and other organs. Instead of banning bromate, since 1991 the FDA — with only partial success — has urged bakers to voluntarily stop using it.

“The FDA should fulfill its responsibility to protect the public’s health,” said Michael F. Jacobson, Ph.D., executive director of CSPI. “Instead of meeting privately with industry, the FDA should ban bromate immediately.”

“In 1992-93 and again in 1998-99, the FDA tested several dozen baked goods and found that many contained bromate at levels considered unsafe by the agency,” said Darren Mitchell, a CSPI attorney. “One sample tested recently had almost 1,000 times the detection limit. The FDA’s inaction needlessly exposes consumers to this harmful additive.”

Food additives that cause cancer usually can be banned under the Delaney clause of the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. However, because the FDA sanctioned the use of bromate before the Delaney clause went into effect in 1958, it is harder for the agency to ban the substance.

Bromates have been banned in numerous countries, including the United Kingdom in 1990 and Canada in 1994. In addition, in 1991, California declared bromate a carcinogen under the state’s Proposition 65. Baked goods sold in California would have to bear a cancer warning if they contained more than a certain level of bromate. As a result, most California bakers have switched to bromate-free processes.

Many bakers, including Best Foods, Inc. (maker of Arnold, Entenmann’s, and Orowheat brand breads and rolls), Pepperidge Farm, and Pillsbury, have switched to bromate-free processes. Also, some supermarket chains, including Giant, Jewel, Ralph’s, and Von’s, do not use bromate.

In contrast, Interstate Brands Corp. (Wonder, Home Pride), Schmidt Baking Co. (Schmidt, Sunbeam), Tasty Baking Co. (TastyKake), and Martin’s still use potassium bromate in some of their products. Among fast-food chains, Burger King, Arby’s, and Wendy’s use bromate in buns, and Boston Market uses it in its french sandwich bread.

CSPI advises consumers to avoid bread, rolls, doughnuts, and cakes that list “potassium bromate” or “bromated flour” among their ingredients. FDA’s limited surveys found that rolls and buns are especially likely to contain high levels of bromate.

The Bromide Dominance Theory ( per http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/b...ncetheory.html)

A bromide dominance condition may develop when bromide, acquired
through environmental, occupational, iatrogenic or dietary exposure, causes
bromide levels in the body to rise high enough to inhibit iodine enzyme
metabolism.

Iodine supplementation alters the competitive bromide-iodine relationship
causing bromide excretion. Thus, bromide dominance is diminished and
proper iodine enzyme metabolism may be restored.

In the toxic 21st Century, these questions must be raised:

* Would we have such a severe iodine deficiency without bromide dominance?

* If iodine deficiency is the underlying cause of many diseases, is bromide "the underlying cause of the underlying cause?"

* Is bromide dominance creating a public health crisis?

Where Does Bromide Dominance Come From?

Bromide is an insidious, additive used in many common products, and as a
pesticide. Because of the sheer amount of bromide-supplemented products,
exposure to this man-made additive has caused a depletion of iodine in human
populations. Studies in lab animals provide alarming evidence that even small
amounts of bromide exposure can be toxic. (1)

What products contain bromide?

Currently, bromide is found in pesticides (methyl bromide), some bread products (potassium bromate), brominated vegetable oil that may be added to citrus-flavored drinks, hot tub cleansers, certain asthma inhalers and prescription drugs, plastic products, some personal care products, some fabric dyes, and as a fire retardant in mattresses, carpeting, etc. (See expanded Products' Discussion Below.)

Effects of Bromide on the Organs

Iodine depletion weakens the thyroid and other organs. (2)(3)(4)(5)(6) In individuals where the bromide-iodine ratio is less, bromide may not be problematic.

Thyroid

Elevated bromide levels have been implicated in every thyroid disease, from simple hypothyroidism to auto-immune diseases to thyroid cancer. Malenchenko found bromide levels 50 times higher in thyroid cancer than normal thyroid tissue. (7)

Rats fed even the minimal amount of bromine expected to be encountered in the environment underwent goiter-like changes (8), an arguable case of bromide dominance. In the FIRE project, exposing rats to the brominated flame retardant compound, bromocyclodecane, showed consistent effects on the thyroid hormone axis, including decreased T4. Thyroid gland cells have increased size and larger nuclei, indicating increased synthetic activity. (9)

With enhanced intake of bromide, fully one-third of the iodine content in the thyroids of rats was replaced by bromide. (10)

Skin

Skin biopsied from a woman who had been on bromide-containing sedatives for nearly four years found increased bromide in normal skin and three times that in an affected skin lesion. (11)

An infant administered a syrup containing sodium bromide developed vegetative lesions on the face and scalp. (12)

Technicians exposed to brominated compounds for prolonged periods developed multiple cherry angiomas on the trunk and extremities. (12)

Mental

The psychiatry literature abounds with cases of elevated bromide levels being implicated in mental conditions from depression to schizophrenia. (14)(15)(16) As Guy Abraham, MD, asks, "How many people with misdiagnosed bromism are currently treated with psychiatric drugs?"(17) Bromide was used to suppress women's sex drive in the 1950s.

Hearing

Potassium bromate, a bread additive, is known to cause renal damage and permanent deafness in animals and man. (18) In the FIRE project, the most relevant effect on exposing rats to 28 days to the brominated flame retardant compound, tetrabromobisphenol-A, was hearing. Specifically, the lower frequency range was affected . (19)

Kidneys

The ability of bromate to cause cancer, especially kidney cancer, is a significant health concern. (20) The gene expression in kidneys in rats given a high dose 100-week potassium bromate in their drinking water showed marked gene expression difference from the lower non-cancer dose. The high dose kidney gene expression resembled an adenoma-like expression pattern. (21)

BROMIDE IN PRODUCTS

BREAD

Potassium bromate as an additive to most commercial bread and baked goods probably provides the most egregious contribution to bromide overload in Western cultures.

Bromated flour is product "enriched" with potassium bromate. Some commercial bakers claim they use bromated flour because it yields dependable results, and it makes more elastic dough which can stand up to bread hooks and other commercial baking tools. (22) However, Pepperidge Farm manages to use only unbromated flour with excellent results.

NOTE ON BANNING POTASSIUM BROMATE IN BREAD:

The UK banned bromate in bread in 1990.
Canada banned bromate in bread in 1994. (23)
Proposal P230 in Australia: Food Regulation Ministerial Council (FSANZ) still has not finalized its July 2007 proposal to mandate iodized salt in breads, breakfast cereals and biscuits.

Back in 1999, the Center for Science in the Public Interest petitioned the FDA to prohibit the use of potassium bromate, charging that the FDA has known for years that bromate causes cancer in lab animals, but has failed to ban it.
(24) As of September 2007, the US FDA responded to Breast Cancer Choices inquire with the statement, " Potassium Bromate is still listed as a safe additive."

Brominated Vegetable Oil (BVO)

Brominated vegetable oil (BVO) is vegetable oil that has had atoms of the element bromine bonded to it. Brominated vegetable oil is used as an emulsifier in citrus-flavored soft drinks such as Mountain Dew, Gatorade, Powerade, Pineapple and Orange Fanta, Sun Drop, Squirt and Fresca to help natural fat-soluble citrus flavors stay suspended in the drink and to produce a cloudy appearance.

The addition of bromine increases the density of the oil, and the amount of bromine is carefully controlled to achieve a density that is the same as the water in the drink. As a result, the BVO remains suspended in the water instead of forming separate layers.

Health effects

Long after consumption of BVO in test animals, traces remain in the body fat.[citation needed] Bromine is a halogen and displaces iodine, which may depress thyroid function. Evidence for this has been extrapolated from pre-1975 cases where bromine-containing sedatives resulted in emergency room visits[1] and incorrect diagnoses of psychosis and brain damage due to side effects such as depression, memory loss, hallucinations, violent tendencies, seizures, cerebral atrophy, acute irritability, tremors, ataxia, confusion, loss of peripheral vision, slurred speech, stupor, tendon reflex changes, photophobia due to enlarged pupils, and extensor plantar responses.[2] In one case, a man who drank eight liters of Ruby Red Squirt daily had a reaction that caused his skin color to turn red and produced lesions diagnosed as bromoderma. The excessive quantities together with the fact that the man had a higher than normal sensitivity to bromine (I don't believe this to be the case) made this an unusual case.[3] A similar case reported that a man who consumed two to four liters of a cola containing BVO on a daily basis experienced memory loss, tremors, fatigue, loss of muscle coordination, headache, ptosis of the right eyelid as well as elevated serum chloride.[4] In the two months it took to correctly diagnose the problem the patient also lost the ability to walk. Luckily bromism was finally diagnosed and hemodialysis was prescribed which resulted in a reversal of the disorder.[1] A Pepsi product website notes that BVO has been used by the soft drink industry since 1931.[5]

In test animals, BVO consumption has caused damage to the heart and kidneys in addition to increasing fat deposits in these organs. In extreme cases BVO has caused testicular damage, stunted growth and produced lethargy and fatigue.[6]

WATER

When drinking water containing bromide is exposed to ozone, bromate ion, a powerful oxidizing agent, is formed. Two significant recalls of drinking water involving bromate have occurred: Wegmann's Food You Feel Good About
Spring Water Recall in 2006, and Coca-Cola's Dasani in 2004. (25)

TOOTHPASTE, MOUTHWASH AND GARGLES

Potassium bromate is an antiseptic and astringent in toothpaste, mouth and gargles. Very toxic if taken internally. May cause bleeding and inflammation of gums in toothpaste. (26)

BROMIDE IN FLAME RETARDANTS

Flame retardants reduce the flammability of a wide variety of commercial and household products. Some brominated home retardants migrate from the products in which they are used and are entering the environment and people. (27)

PERSONAL PRODUCTS AND SOME COSMETICS

Sodium bromate in Products: Permanent Waves, Hair Dyes, Textile Dyes Sodium bromate is in permanent wave neutralizers, hair dye material, and the textile dyeing process. (28) Benzalkonium is used as a preservative in some cosmetics. (29)

References:

Breast Cancer Choices is indebted to the pioneering bromide research of Guy E.
Abraham, MD, as well as the clinical and intellectual contributions of David
Brownstein, MD, and Jorge Flechas, MD.

(1) Vobecky M et al., Interaction of Bromine with Iodine in the Rat Thyroid Gland at Enhanced
Bromide Intake, Biol Trace Elem Res 1996.
(2) Velicky J et al., The Effect of Bromide on the Ultrastructure of Rat Thyrocytes, Ann Anat 2004.
(3) Pavelka S et al., Bromide Kinetics and Distribution in the Rat. II Distribution of Bromide in the
Body, Biol Trace Res 2000.
(4) Velicky J et al., Long Term Action of Potassium Bromide on the Rat Thyroid Gland, Acta
Histochem 1998.
(5) Velicky J et al., Potassium Bromide and the Thyroid Gland of the Rat: Morphology and
Immunochemistry 1997.
(6) Vobecky M et al., Interaction of Bromine with Iodine in the Rat Thyroid Gland at Enhanced
(7) Malenchenko AF et al., The Content and Distribution of Iodine, Chlorine and Bromide in the
Normal and Pathologically Changed Thyroid Tissue, Med Radiol 1984.
(8). Velicky J et al., Potassium Bromide and the Thyroid Gland of the Rat: Morphology and
Immunochemistry, RIA and INAA Analysis, Ann Anat 1997.
(9) www.credocluster.info Issue 6, July 2006
(10) Vobecky M et al., Interaction of Bromine with Iodine in the Rat Thyroid Gland at Enhanced
(11) Hubner K et al., Skin Bromide Content and Bromide Excretion in Bromoderma Tuberosum, Arch
Derm Res 1976.
(12) Bel S et al., Vegetant Bromoderma in an Infant, Pediatric Dermatology 2001.
(13) Cohen A et al., Cherry Angiomas Associated with Exposure to Bromides, Dermatology 2001.
(14) Horowitz BZ et al., Bromism from Excessive Cola Consumption, Clinical Toxicology 1997.
(15) Levin M., Transitory Schizophrenia Produced by Bromide Intoxication, Am J Psychiatry 1946.
(16) http://www.gulflink.osd.mil/library/...8.2chap10.html.
(17) Abraham G., The Combined Measurement of the Four Stable Halides by the Ion-Selective
Electrode Procedure Following Their Chromatographic Separation on a Strong Anion Exchange
Resin: Clinical Application, The Original Internist 2006.
(18) Morizono T et al., The Effects of Cetrimide and Potassium Bromate on the Potassium Ion
Concentration in the Inner Ear Fluid of the Guinea Pig, Physiol Bohemoslov 1988.
(19) www.credocluster.info, Issue 6 2006.
(20) www.rtctoc.com/bromate.htm.
(21) Geter D et al., Kidney Toxicogenomics of Chronic Potassium Bromate Exposure in F334 Male
Rats, EIMS Meta Data Report 2006.
(22) www.wisegeek.com.
(23) www.rtctox.com/bromate.htm.
(24). www.cspinet.org/new/bromide.htm.
(25) www.rtctox.com/bromate.htm.
(26) http://www.healthy-communications.co..._barzac95.html.
(27) www.credocluster.info, Issue 6 2006.
(28) http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11292...mate_99_5.html.
(29) www.gina.antczak.btinternet.co.uk/CU/CUHOME.htm.

#73 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 10:57 PM

My dh has those lipomas-the fatty cysts a few places on his body under his skin. I wonder if iodine would help dissolve those the same as it helps breast and ovarian cysts? I want to get rid of those things! lol Anyone heard of a connection?
#74 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopazBlueMama View Post
My dh has those lipomas-the fatty cysts a few places on his body under his skin. I wonder if iodine would help dissolve those the same as it helps breast and ovarian cysts? I want to get rid of those things! lol Anyone heard of a connection?
Sebaceous cysts are cysts which contain oily, fatty material. They usually appear rather suddenly on the face or in the groin or labia. Rubbing in SSKI mixed 50-50 with DMSO will almost always persuade these cysts to go away in a week or two; it appears that the iodide "dissolves" the fatty, oily material contained in the cysts, allowing your body to slowly re-absorb and dispose of it. The famous chemistry professor Louis Feiser made a point of demonstrating to all the medical students that iodine and iodide would make oils, fats, and waxes (cholesterol is actually a wax) more soluble in water. This known action of iodide might likely explain why it might be needed in patients with lipomas.

http://iodine4health.com/overviews/uses/panam_uses.htm

#75 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
My dh has the same things (as does his dad). That would be awesome to think the iodine could help eventually get rid of them.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#76 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 11:07 PM

I got this from http://iodine4health.com/overviews/uses/panam_uses.htm

1. Germicide: Elemental iodine is a potent germicide with wide spectrum and low tissue toxicity. A solution of 50 ppm (eg, 50 mg/L) kills bacteria in 1 min and bacterial spores in 15 min. Topically, Iodine is excellent for toenail fungus, ringworm, fever blisters, moles and skin tags, warts, hangnails, etc. Just a few drops on a q-tip is all it takes. Use daily until the topical gaffes are gone.

2. Water purification: Iodine has been used to disinfect water for nearly a century. It has advantages over chlorine in convenience and probably efficacy; many travellers find the taste less offensive as well. It appears safe for short and intermediate length use (3-6 months), but questions remain about its safety in long-term usage. It should not be used for a long term by persons with allergy to iodine, persons with active thyroid disease, or pregnant women....

3. Radioactive Fallout: There is no medicine that will effectively prevent nuclear radiations from damaging the human body cells that they strike. However, a salt of the elements potassium and iodine, taken orally even in very small quantities 1/2 hour to 1 day before radioactive iodines are swallowed or inhaled, prevents about 99% of the damage to the thyroid gland that otherwise would result. The thyroid gland readily absorbs both non-radioactive and radioactive iodine, and normally it retains much of this element in either or both forms.

When ordinary, non-radioactive iodine is made available in the blood for absorption by the thyroid gland before any radioactive iodine is made available, the gland will absorb and retain so much that it becomes saturated with non-radioactive iodine. When saturated, the thyroid can absorb only about l% as much additional iodine, including radioactive forms that later may become available in the blood: then it is said to be blocked. (Excess iodine in the blood is rapidly eliminated by the action of the kidneys.)

4. Fibrocystic Breasts: Many women develop "fibrocystic breast disease". In the 1970s, pioneering trace element researcher Dr. John Myers showed that iodine would eliminate even the most severe cases of fibrocystic breast disease. In "medium" to "minor" cases, 6 to 8 drops of SSKI or Lugol's taken in a few ounces of water daily will frequently reduce fibrocystic breast disease to insignificance within three to six months. [16]

5. Herpes virus: If the truth be known, there are many chemicals that destroy or inactivate the herpes simplex virus. Iodine is a very common antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal agent for topical use. A bit of a water soluble iodine complex like Povidine Iodine (Betadine iodine) might be added to the "zinc gluconate" wash to help in the struggle against herpes. Tincture of iodine is also used, but it is in alcohol, which may sting tender tissues. Iodine stains the skin and clothing, and it is absorbed into the skin where it has its activity. An iodine-colored zinc gluconate wash might be helpful in reminding one to retreat. Iodine disappears into the skin at rates that are different between people. For example, in a very small 1975 study patients with vulvovaginal and cervical herpes virus infections were treated with a regimen of external and intravaginal povidone-iodine preparations. In all but one case, the expected duration of symptoms and healing time were shortened.

7. Ophthalmia neonatorum prevention. "Ophthalmia neonatorum" is defined as conjunctivitis with eye discharge that occurs during the first month of life. Various bacteria can cause this condition, including gonococcus and Chlamydia trachomatis . Several agents have been used as drops in the eyes to prevent this condition in infants, including erythromycin, silver nitrate, gentamicin, and Povidone-iodine. Tetracycline and penicillin drops have also been used. Although this condition is now uncommon in industrialized nations, it remains a problem in the developing world with an incidence as high as 20-30% and cases of blindness reported in Africa each year. Povidone-iodine ophthalmic solution appears to have broad spectrum activity against bacteria, and is less expensive than many antibiotics. It therefore may be a cost-effective option in some populations. One drop of 2.5% solution in each eye has been demonstrated as being effective in multiple studies.

8. Molluscum contagiosum: Iodine has been suggested as a topical treatment for molluscum.

9. Ovarian cysts: It's very likely that SSKI helps eliminate fibrocystic breast disease and ovarian cysts at least partly through it's interaction with estrogens….which brings us to another important use for SSKI (and other forms of iodine such as "Lugol's solution" and "di-atomic iodine"). All of these forms of iodine help your body to metabolize estrone (a slightly carcinogenic human estrogen) and 16-alpha-hydroxyestrone (a much more dangerous metabolite of human estrogen) into estriol, an "anti-carcinogenic" or at worst "neutral" form of human estrogen.

10. Dupuytren's contracture and Peyronie's disease are two "fibrotic" conditions that can be helped considerably by SSKI or Lugol's solution. In Dupuytren's contracture, thickening (fibrosis) occurs along one of the tendons in the palm in the hand, pulling the related finger down towards the palm. As the problem progresses, the finger often can't be straightened any more.

In Peyronie's disease, a very similar thickening occurs along the shaft of the penis, making erections increasing "curved" and painful. In both cases, rubbing SSKI into the thickened tissue at least twice daily softens and lessens the fibrotic area over a period of several months, allowing for more normal function.

For these conditions, it's additionally helpful to take para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) 2 grams, three times daily, and to rub a mixture of Vitamin E and DMSO into the thickened areas, also. However, if "caught early", SSKI alone will often "do the job".

11. Keloids are abnormally thick scars, sometimes as much as an inch thick, that can form after injury. Although anyone can get a keloid, they're more common among blacks than other ethnic groups. Rubbing SSKI into a keloid at least twice daily will ultimately flatten them down to a "normal scar", but it can take many months to a year for particularly bad ones. The treatment goes faster if SSKI or Lugol's is mixed "50-50" with DMSO.

12. Fistulas are literally abnormal tunnels through tissues, "tunnels" prevented from healing by chronic infection. Two not-unusual types are "peri-anal fistulas" (a "tunnel" from outside the anus to the inside of the rectum) and "recto-vaginal" fistulas. Although these fistulas can be treated successfully by surgery, they can often be healed by frequent swabbing inside and out with an SSKI-soaked "Q-tip". Patience is required: Complete healing often takes several months. The treatment appears to work better if the SSKI is mixed with DMSO, which enhances penetration.

13. Hemorrhoids. Richard Kunin, M.D. of San Francisco, is a "world class" expert on the use of SSKI and other forms of iodine. He has found that hemorrhoids will sometimes disappear literally overnight, when SSKI (20 drops) mixed with flaxseed oil (1 ounce) is rubbed in them at bedtime. He's also found that SSKI alone will do the same job, although it "really stings" when applied to a hemorrhoid by itself.

14. Arteriosclerosis. Over 30 years ago, two ophthalmologists observed that a combination tablet called "Iodo-niacin" (iodide 120 milligrams, niacin 15 milligrams) taken for several months could actually reverse atherosclerotic clogging of arteries. They proved this effect by taking pictures of clogged arteries in the backs of the eyes (retinal photomicrographs) before and after treatment. The published photographs showed a significant lessening of the cholesterol-laden artery clogging in the "after" pictures. [14] True to cause, no follow-up study has ever been published (probably because niacin and iodide aren't patentable). Recommended is 1 to 2 drops of SSKI or Lugol's and niacin-containing B-complex daily (along with essential fatty acids or fish oil) for anyone with significant cholesterol-related atherosclerotic clogging. Thyroid function must be monitored!

15. Sebaceous cysts are cysts which contain oily, fatty material. They usually appear rather suddenly on the face or in the groin or labia. Rubbing in SSKI mixed 50-50 with DMSO will almost always persuade these cysts to go away in a week or two; it appears that the iodide "dissolves" the fatty, oily material contained in the cysts, allowing your body to slowly re-absorb and dispose of it. The famous chemistry professor Louis Feiser made a point of demonstrating to all the medical students that iodine and iodide would make oils, fats, and waxes (cholesterol is actually a wax) more soluble in water. This known action of iodide might likely explain why it might be needed in patients with lipomas.

16. Sialoliths, parotid duct stone. These are "stones" which can form in the saliva-carrying duct(s) from the major salivary glands ("parotid" glands, located at the "angle of the jaw"). 3 to 4 drops of SSKI taken in water daily reportedly will almost always dissolve parotid duct stones within four to eight months.

17. Chronic bronchitis and emphysema ("COPD"). Lugol's is an invaluable medicine, it gets into all body secretions, including often thick and hard to cough up bronchial secretions, which get infected very easily. As a well known and old time expectoran, it "loosens" secretions remarkably, making them much easier to expectorate, and it prevents micro-organisms from growing easily. With regular use, bronchial infection is a much less frequent problem for these patients. Depending on the severity of COPD, I recommend 3 to 6 drops of lugol's taken in water once daily. As COPD is usually a chronic condition, use will usually be indefinite, so make sure to monitor thyroid function!

18. Infected hangnails are perhaps the easiest to clear up this way, as are nagging bacterial infections around the edges of the toenails. Rub in the mixture several times daily, and the problem's usually gone in a few days. Herpes simplex ("herpes") ourbreaks can be "stopped cold" in the same way, but it often takes longer for the "sore" to heal itself over.

19. Enlarged tonsils. Persistent "swollen glands" in the throat or groin areas, see a doctor first! These can very rarely be signs of leukemia, lymphoma, or another cancer, especially in older people. But if all tests and studies are negative, rub in the SSKI with DMSO. In a large majority of cases, the "just swollen glands" will gradually fade away.

20. Onychomycosis. Fungus under the toenails is a difficult problem to treat. Even "conventional" anti-fungal drug treatment takes months to work, and (for safety) monthly liver function tests are necessary. Lugol's or Tincture of Iodine and DMSO rubbed on, around, and under the affected toenails doesn't work any faster, but it's just as effective, and definitely safer.

21. Vaginal infections. 20 to 30 drops in water, used in a small "douche" once daily for five to ten days will usually resolve the infection in several days.

22. Bladder Infections. 1-2 drops of lugol's in a glass of water, four times daily. Since the iodide excretion generally exits the kidney in four hours, for a severe bladder infection give it every four hours. I have treated successfully some of the worst bladder infections by this method. Lugol's works better than antibiotics, and unlike antibiotics, the infection is not so nearly prone to return.

23. Hypothyroidism. Even though iodine and iodide are absolutely essential to thyroid hormone formation, in most "developed" countries, hypothyroid conditions are not usually due to an outright lack of iodine or iodide. Still, hypothyroidism is occasionally helped by 1 drop of lugol's daily. Make sure to monitor the thyroid profiles!

24. Vegan gas. reducing the gas from eating beans! Macrobioticists have know for years that cooking beans with seaweed reduces bean flatus. If you're soaking beans before cooking them, add 1 or 2 drops of Lugol's, and let them soak for an hour or more. Pour offf that water before cooking, and add fresh water. You'll be surprised at the reduction in resulting intestinal gas! (Technical explanation: There's a naturally occurring enzyme inhibitor in beans which interferes with starch digestion in the gut, producing gas. Lugol's inactivates this enzyme inhibitor.)

25. Baldness: In Mexico, some people have used iodine as a means of preventing baldness. One woman used iodine for years as a preventive measure against her baldness. She used it as a rinse after washing her hair. Another woman told me to "cure" a bald spot by dabbing iodine on the bald spot or area of thinning hair. After a while, a crust will form. Eventually, beneath the crust fine hairs will start to grow. She said it can take about three months to see the results.

26. Heavy Metal Detox. The bioavailability of a Lugol's containing 12.5 mg elemental iodine was evaluated by measuring 24 hr urine levels of iodide together with the minerals, trace elements and toxic metals before and after administration of this preparation. The results obtained following iodine supplementation revealed that in some subjects, the urine levels of mercury, lead and cadmium increased by several fold after just one day of supplementation. For aluminum, this increased excretion was not observed usually until after one month or more on the iodine supplementation. [15] Preliminary data so far suggest that orthoiodosupplementation results in detoxification of the body from the toxic metals aluminum, cadmium, lead and mercury. One of the old materia medicas listed using iodine for mercury detoxification. [Mercurial Poisoning, and other chronic metallic toxaemiae, —Potassium Iodide, to promote elimination of the poison.]

27. Precancerous skin lesions: From my own clinical experience, repeated application of Lugol’s to the skin appears to cause regeneration of the skin from the bottom up, causing eventually sloughing the old version of the skin off. It is very helpful in granulation of new skin in leg ulcers when used twice daily as a wound spray. For suspicious spots, if there was a pre-cancerous lesion on the old skin, it is replaced with new skin minus the lesion. There does not seem to be any skin lesions which are not helped or cured by this procedure. In some cases I found clinically obvious low thyroid conditions also needed to be treated to be more aggressively. Minor lacerations and healing of surgical wounds respond well. If skin regeneration is from the bottom, then there is little or no scar formation. It is better than vitamin E, but that helps too.

28. Cuts and scabs. It is my belief a water solution of iodine (like Lugol's) is an important therapeutic agent for skin. Because of its effectiveness and the results, perhaps many skin diseases are related to local tissue areas of relative iodine deficiency. Perhaps the most graphic lesions are the "keloid" (worm) incision scars formed after surgical procedures. If the iodine intake and tissue levels are adequate, such as in Japan, keloid formation doesn't happen (17). In addition, iodine's ability to trigger natural cell death (apoptosis) (18) makes it effective against all pre-cancerous skin lesions and likely many cancerous lesions. The local site is replaced with normal skin.

Our older generation tended to put tincture of iodine onto a fresh wound to prevent infection. This turns out to be helpful. It is much more effective (and doesn't hurt) to apply iodine repeatedly after a scab has been formed also. The iodine put onto the scab helps to organize total repair of the tissue. It is implied a similar approach could be taken to burns of all depths but at the same time the physiology of burns suggest there is an acute lack of thyroid hormone.

29. Common cold. The next time you feel that scratchy throat or that first onset snuffle, reach for a bottle of Lugol's and start snorting from the open top. You may be surprized to see it rapidly quench a rhinovirus infection before it sets in.

30. Breast Cancer: Based on an extensive review of breast cancer epidemiological studies, R.A. Wiseman [25] came to the following conclusions: 92-96% of breast cancer cases are sporadic; there is a single cause for the majority of cases; the causative agent is deficiency of a micronutrient that is depleted by a high-fat diet; and if such an agent is detected, intervention studies with supplementation should lead to a decline in the incidence of breast cancer. It is the opinion of several investigators that this protective micronutrient is the essential element iodine. [26] Demographic surveys of Japan and Iceland revealed that both countries have a relatively high intake of iodine and low incidences of simple endemic goiter and breast cancer. Whereas in Mexico and Thailand, just the reverse is observed -- a high incidence of both endemic goiter and breast cancer...."

#77 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
My dh has the same things (as does his dad). That would be awesome to think the iodine could help eventually get rid of them.
I agree. I've wondered if dairy was the culprit for him, but it would be great if iodine helped. His are on his leg, arm, and back. His dad has them as well.
#78 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
My dog has the same thing, not to minimize family members or anything, I wonder how high I can/should go with her. I'm actually already giving her some Iodoral, along with some other things, to deal with her hypothyroidism, since she started having new health issues that I felt were nutrient-related.

Hmmm.... if 50mg is appropriate (assuming it's tolerated) for, say, 3 months, for let's say a typical 150-pound adult person, and my dog is 50 lbs, that's looking like 17mg per day for a time, not sure if 3 months is too long or not. I may fiddle with what I'm giving her a bit. Her fatty cysts FAR predate her hypothyroidism.
#79 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 11:30 PM

I'm trying to find what SSKI and DMSO stand for?
#80 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to find what SSKI and DMSO stand for?
SSKI Saturated Solution Potassium Iodide

DMSO dimethyl sulfoxide

#81 of 710 Old 05-31-2009, 11:43 PM

hmm..this guy http://www.wrightnewsletter.com/etip...20080703b.html says that it doesn't work on lipomas. darn. but he is talking about the topical SSKI and DMSO.
Thanks Nichole!
#82 of 710 Old 06-01-2009, 12:02 AM

For those of you who supp your LO's w/ iodine, how much do you give? My ds is a bit over 2 (and 32+ lbs) and I'm interested in supplementing him (I'm still kind of waiting on myself here--nervous about the nursing and detoxing...looking to keep researching this! I'm thinking about the Lugol's drops, but I'm also interested in reading some responses to Pat's question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Jane, I would love to hear more info about why NOT to choose organic kelp or dulse which has been tested free of heavy metals, instead for the iodine. Those absorb/bind with heavy metals in the large intestine, from my understanding; and help to excrete it, in addition to the whole food benefits AND iodine.

Also, for those who are choosing to take iodine and supping other vitamins, is anyone supping w/ whole foods for magnesium and other nutrients, and what foods are you using???? (At Pat's rec. I 'supp' my selenium w/ brazil nuts--I'd love to do this for vit. C and others as well but not sure if I could get enough...I'm still in the early learning phases about all this!!)

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#83 of 710 Old 06-01-2009, 12:07 AM

Ok found some other info about using colloidal silver for lipomas...
http://www.curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1418943

And this
"FIBROIDS- goldenseal, ramp bark, squaw vine, red raspberries, dong quai, false unicorn, rose hips, sarsaparilla, peony, uva ursi, blessed thistle, rehmannia, ginger, lobelia.Treat LIPOMA or tumors same way."
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6308680/He...onditions-12pp

#84 of 710 Old 06-01-2009, 12:08 AM

here's a snip of what the sidebar at breastcancerchoices says:

"Dr. David Brownstein writes:

Caution With Kelp Supplements

[snip]

Kelp can be an appropriate iodine source if the kelp has been tested and found free of toxic elements. I would be very cautious about taking a kelp supplement unless the manufacture is consistently testing the kelp for purity and consistency." (bolding mine)

#85 of 710 Old 06-01-2009, 12:12 AM

whoMe, I'll also add to that that a good source of kelp or dulse can be great for maintenance but it would be VERY hard to get enough to close the gap of someone who was really deficient. I'm a whole foods gal myself, but I tend to look for stabilization first. It's just one perspective though!

In other words, yes for some people it would be fine. IF you have several symptoms of deficiency though...I wouldnt' want to wait for supplementation with seaweed to catch up with me.
#86 of 710 Old 06-01-2009, 12:24 AM

I've seen lots of references here to Lugol's and Iodoral... which I was going to buy, and then opted for a cheaper brand.

Does brand make a difference? Are there different types of iodine supplements that we should/should not be using? (Like all the different forms of folate/folic acid/folinic acid/5-mthfr/you get the picture...)

Mine is a liquid, 1 drop = 600mcg. I figure that is a nice low dose to start out with and work my way up. Does that seem ok? (I mentioned the brand earlier, but it's Atomidine if anyone wants to know.)

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#87 of 710 Old 06-01-2009, 12:34 AM

Okay. So still thinking about detoxing to nurslings...

If mom's not noticing any detox symptoms then is it likely that we don't have to worry about nursling so much? Or could the LO still be getting a bunch of toxins, even though mom doesn't feel it?

#88 of 710 Old 06-01-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:

If mom's not noticing any detox symptoms then is it likely that we don't have to worry about nursling so much? Or could the LO still be getting a bunch of toxins, even though mom doesn't feel it?
I've kind of been wondering the same thing, given my lack of detoxing symptoms. Now that I think about it, DD did have some (really yellow) cradle cap suddenly crop up about 4 weeks after I started taking Iodoral. I wondered at the time whether this was a sign of bromide detox, since neither of us had eaten any of her usual food triggers recently, and since one of the articles at optimox mentioned something about yellow excretions being potential signs of bromide detox???

I feel like I just added to your question rather than answering it...anyone else?
#89 of 710 Old 06-01-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:

I'm going with B. If you want my input always ALWAYS watch the nursling. If your HPA axis is screwy you may not notice any mobilization.
#90 of 710 Old 06-01-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:

Based on my playing around with various things (so, sample size = 1 adult and 1 nurseling), there's a gap between when we increase our circulating toxins and when we start feeling bad. To me, it seems like detox reactions like headaches, nasty fatigue, all that stuff, mean there's a big disconnect between what's mobilized and our excretion bandwidth. But when the gap is little, or if we are mobilizing more but we can excrete it too, then we don't feel bad, and we're getting healthier, but more "stuff" is circulating in our bodies, it's going to travel through our bloodstreams at some point while it tries to get out, and that's when it can get into our milk.

I tried something (on my own accord, not on my HCP's recommendation) a couple years ago, and a) I felt better, I felt happier and my mood was more stable, and b) I started smelling like cigarette smoke (from my skin), and I didn't feel at all bad or sick or anything, nothing that said hey, too much, but within a couple weeks I figured out that I'd mobilized a lot to my nursing son (he was maybe 18 mos old? more than 14 mos, less than 21). And he didn't start doing anything weird like spinning or anything, or getting sick more often, or whatever. So to me it seems like really being slow and cautious and doing everything possible to support kiddo's detox pathways and mom's is appropriate. FWIW, it was seeing my son's vitC need jump (the amt it took for him to be at bowel tolerance) that made me realize that my improvements were a sign that I was changing a lot in my body.

Panserbjorne--can you talk a bit about our HPA axis and how that plays in? I'm clueless but very interested if you have the time.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page