THE Iodine Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 710 Old 06-10-2009, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dera View Post
I have a question about the vitamin C being mentioned. Why is that one of the important ones here? Isn't vit C easily available in many fruits and veggies? Are many people found to be deficient with symptoms? Does it help with detox?

Thanks!
There's a really long vitamin C thread around, but the short version is that it's very, very helpful for detox, it helps directly and it spares glutathione, which is how we get rid of heavy metals (among lots of other things), and the amounts people need are highly variable based on their lifelong health history. My kids and I are on the high end (for now, it'll come down over time), but when I start started, slowly tapering up to see what my bowel tolerance was (the amount my body would use, the excess causes diarrhea so it's a good way to figure out how much you need), I needed 44 grams per day. 44,000 milligrams. Every day. Most people wouldn't need as much, but I think the data is fairly strong that normal, healthy people _do_ usually need 4-5 grams per day (4,000 - 5,000 mg) so I think the 60mg RDA is, well, woefully inadequate.
#242 of 710 Old 06-10-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristSavesAll View Post
Ok so a few other questions.. btw I totally understand the fear of having the panic/anxiety attacks, I was recently having some and was racking my brain trying to figure out why. For myself, I was taking my vitamins right before bed, not a good idea at least not taking the iodine that way. I have also been going to bed around 2 in the morning due to dd sleep schedule being off, I've been eating more sugary foods (love ice cream) and I'm also pg, thanks to these things I believe I have restarted my adrenal fatigue.. oh did I also mention that I had stopped taking my siberian ginseng for about 6 weeks and then I started getting the attacks.

So I started taking my vitamins in the morning again, added the ginseng back to my supplement list, started goin to bed a bit sooner, added some iron to my supplement list and so far I havent had another attack since.

So my questions are:

How long have you been doing the iodine now?

Have you been going to bed later than usual or eating more sweets than usual?

I still think that more selenium is important and that along with needing some extra iron may be your problem... glad your taking the brazil nuts, try and up your iron with the molasses and see how that works for you..

Oh and I would start back at only half an iodoral and work up to one and stay there for a few weeks and give your body more time to detox, no need to rush.
1. I was doing the Iodine for probably at least a month. I had started at 1/2 pill for a week, then moved up 1/2 pill each week. So, since I was taking 2 1/2 pills, I was probably on week 5.

2. Eh, yea, we had been going to bed no sooner than midnight. I wasn't really falling asleep until closer to 1am. : Though I have a sweet tooth, I don't think I had been eating much more than usual (which I try to be mindful of). But, definitely, I know the sleep was an issue.

3. I'll pull out the molasses and keep with 2 Brazil nuts a day. I also am going to order the multi you take. I think it's going to be a better one for dh and I. I also decided to go back to the B-complex with extra B6 (I had stopped and gone back to a regular B-complex w/out extra B6 because my dreams had been getting overly active, but it could have been a combo of a lot of things including iodine and sleep times).

And I agree with you ... there doesn't seem to be any reason to rush any of this. I don't plan on being pregnant again, so I don't need to prep my body for anything but a general sense of well being. I am very tired of being tired and sick. And really want to feel better.

And I need to move my evening vitamins to no later than dinner (the multi we take right now is 2x a day, plus I take extra GABA, MSM and I was doing a second dose of iodine at night, *right* before bedtime). If I switch multi's, then I can take the other things at dinner and only have my magnesium at night.

Thank you again Nichole for your help!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#243 of 710 Old 06-10-2009, 04:30 PM

Here are a few links that talk about adding particular vitamins or minerals to help with anxiety/panic attacks.

Inositol
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_n6211941/

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#244 of 710 Old 06-10-2009, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

MSM would keep me awake if I took at dinnertime, I need to do breakfast and lunch.
#245 of 710 Old 06-10-2009, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Dera,

Vitamin C also may be crucial in allowing the iodine to be utilized in the body.

Quote:
Evidence of Defective Cellular Oxidation and Organification of Iodide in a Female with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue

We previously evaluated one hypothyroid patient with pre-supplementation high urinary excretion of the iodine load.5 The patient, a 52-year-old woman (height 64 inches; weight 140 lbs.), had a past history of hyperthyroidism followed by hypothyroidism and had taken Synthroid 50 µg/day for five years. She developed side effects to orthoiodosupplementation and could tolerate only half a Lugol tablet/day (6.25 mg iodine/day) due to the detoxification of elevated bromide levels by the iodine supplementation.

She was evaluated with serial serum samples for 11 hours post-load, before and after three months on a sustained-release form of vitamin C at 3 g/day. Previtamin C loading test showed 90% of the [iodine] load excreted in the urine, but her baseline serum iodide level was only 0.016 mg/L, compared to the expected levels of 0.85-1.3 mg/L in those with whole body iodine sufficiency.

[JaneS note: this means that her initial loading test showed her to be sufficient in iodine b/c she excreted 90%. But her blood testing revealed that the real problem was that she wasn't actually absorbing and utilizing the iodine. This is thought to be because of high body bromide burden.]

Prior to intervention with vitamin C, a sharp peak of serum iodide at 32 mg/L at one hour post-load was followed by a rapid drop. This suggested that the gastrointestinal absorption of iodine was very efficient, but the transfer of the serum iodide to the target cells was not efficient. After three months on vitamin C, the same test was repeated. The data revealed a normal profile of serum inorganic iodide levels. Her baseline serum inorganic iodide level increased from 0.016 mg/L to 0.42 mg/L, and she retained 50% of the iodine load, compared to 10% of the load prior to vitamin C supplementation.

To our knowledge, this was the first case report of a patient with evidence of a very defective retention mechanism for iodine who was studied with serial serum iodide levels prior to and following intervention. A combination of orthoiodosupplementation in amounts of iodine the patients could tolerate and administration of the antioxidant vitamin C via the oral route improved the performance of the iodine retention mechanism.
http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/IOD-20/IOD_20.htm
#246 of 710 Old 06-11-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
I think it's possible you might have autoimmune thyroid illness: Grave's or Hashimoto's. The latter is confirmed by antibodies in the blood. Not sure how Grave's is dx.

Dr. Brownstein treats his autoimmune patients as deficient in iodine and antioxidants. The B vitamins (ATP Co factors 100mg B2 and 500mg B3 1-3x per day) in addition to iodine are essential to treating. And vitamin C up to 10 grams per day he says. And magnesium. And salt flushes. I would be taking all of these w/o the iodine pending testing.

Selenium is also very important for autoimmune patients too I believe.

I think it's also possible from your symptoms such as headaches and others that you are bromide toxic.

What I would do in your case is get conventional blood testing done for thyroid including free T3 and free T4 as well as antibodies (I think there are two types). And the iodine loading/bromide testing. And read Brownstein's book.

I know how it is not to have the $ believe me.
So, the followup to my story is that after talking to my naturopath and also my iodine educated friend, so far it appears I have been having a major detox reaction. When I was taking the iodine, I was not following the protocol for support nutrients. After stopping the iodine supplementation, the only particularly troublesome symptom was that I felt too warm. Then, last Friday I drank homemade beet kvass for the first time and repeated through the weekend. I didn't make the connection, but I have since been told that beet kvass is a powerful liver detoxifier - that combined with the halides being kicked off the receptor sites without the nutrients to kick it out of the body seems to account for my experience. It was completely strange because I would go into what seemed like a hyper state for hours, and then like a light switch I would be fine and calm, and then the light switch would be flicked back on. I have been doing sea salt flushes, popping vit C like candy, and taking magnesium-baking soda- hydroden peroxide baths. Tonight I feel FABULOUS! And my husband says I look ten years younger. I don't know if I'm through it yet and if I'll rev up again into what feels like a hyper state, but each time I come down I seem even better. The naturopath talked to Dr. Brownstein's office and they said this sounded like detox reactions. I wasn't prepared. So, for those who are going to take iodine, look to this thread for all the important support nutrients! Thank you Jane and Nicole for your help!
#247 of 710 Old 06-11-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
What else were you taking when you decided to supplement iodine? It is very important to support your detox pathways to help your body properly excrete the heavy metals that are in your body...

CLO
Magnesium
Vitamin C
And a good multi vitamin are a must (personal fave that I and many friends and family have used with success is one 'n' only)... but that's just with small doses of iodine, bigger doses require more...

Like more selenium, I take 300mcg a day
Chromium and Vanadium
higher dose of vitamin C (3000mg) and mag (500-1000mg)
I wasn't taking anything regularly, though I would take CLO and Concentrace trace minerals when I remembered, sometimes Natural Calm, and I would have homemade cultured food daily. I stopped taking the concentrace when I noticed bromide as the first ingredient.

Are brazil nuts sufficient for selenium? The Vit C has been a HUGE help as well as the salt flushes. I haven't heard much about chromium and vanadium - will have to google.

Thanks! You are right, the support nutrients are VERY important. Perhaps I could have avoided the unnatural and disturbing events of the last few days . . . or maybe one just shouldn't drink a cup of beet kvass daily and do a liver dump while detoxing halides! : )
#248 of 710 Old 06-11-2009, 10:05 AM

I have a question about magnesium supping.. I took that magnesium taste test where I mix the epsom salt with water and it tasted thick and bitter... What does that mean? Because doesn't bitter mean sufficient, but thick means severely deficient?
#249 of 710 Old 06-11-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerJayne View Post

Are brazil nuts sufficient for selenium? The Vit C has been a HUGE help as well as the salt flushes. I haven't heard much about chromium and vanadium - will have to google.

Thanks! You are right, the support nutrients are VERY important. Perhaps I could have avoided the unnatural and disturbing events of the last few days . . . or maybe one just shouldn't drink a cup of beet kvass daily and do a liver dump while detoxing halides! : )
Well, I'm glad you got the answers you needed, it sounds as though you may be more toxic than others and sticking to a low dose for a month or so would be beneficial to you... as well as getting all the other good stuff

I posted in an earlier post the importance of inositol with a link for that and vanadium, didn't have time to get the one for chromium, but those two are also very important. It's also cheap, $5 for 3 months, cant beat it. The selenium is $4 for 3 months and it a tiny capsule so I don't know if that has anything to do with why people don't want to be taking more, I manage to pop all my pills in one gulp with the exception to the vit c because the one I have right now is the cheap brand and it's not coated, man that one hurts going down if I'm not careful...

Brazil nuts are apparently great for selenium... never looked it up before but here's what I found
Brazil nuts (3-4, 1/2 oz)** 272mcg

Based on this one a day so long as it is at least half an ounce is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouthead View Post
I have a question about magnesium supping.. I took that magnesium taste test where I mix the epsom salt with water and it tasted thick and bitter... What does that mean? Because doesn't bitter mean sufficient, but thick means severely deficient?
I have never heard of the magnesium taste test... interesting but YUCK at least I can imagine, I remember taking just a spoonful in some water to get my magnesium, yeah that didn't last long I went and got some empty capsules and filled a couple and took that...

Most people are deficient in magnesium, I hate to get personal but bm's should be occurring every day at least even 2-3 times can be normal. They should be soft and barely formed. It takes you gut some time to get used to the new way of eliminating... actually here is an article on what to look for in your bm's...

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#250 of 710 Old 06-11-2009, 09:36 PM

I have not read this thread, yet. But I'm sure someone on here has the answer to my question.

The nutritionist I just went to put me on iodine (iodoral) and told me to get some lugols liquid for my girls. I have found 5% and 2%. Which one do I want that will have two drops equal to my one pill? (12.5 mg IIRC)

Thanks!

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#251 of 710 Old 06-11-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
I have not read this thread, yet. But I'm sure someone on here has the answer to my question.

The nutritionist I just went to put me on iodine (iodoral) and told me to get some lugols liquid for my girls. I have found 5% and 2%. Which one do I want that will have two drops equal to my one pill? (12.5 mg IIRC)

Thanks!
That would be the 5% solution... is there a reason why you are looking for the higher dose? Just curious as ds is 5 and I currently only give him 3mg a day. You may want to read a few previous posts as well because if you are going to begin supping iodine you need to make sure you are getting your other vitamins and minerals as well with the emphasis on vitamin c, magnesium, selenium, chromium, vanadium, cod live oil...

#252 of 710 Old 06-11-2009, 11:35 PM

I'm looking for that because I assumed it was the standard and the nutritionist told me to give my 5 year old 2 drops. She originally told me to give my 1 year old the same but then remembered I am nursing and thought that (what she gets through bm) would be plenty. I'm on one pill for now and watching how the baby (and I) react. If all is going well after a week or so I'm to add another pill in the AM.

I can e-mail her and ask which strength she meant for me to give DD. I would also like to switch to it myself. The pills are $$$! I'm fine with doing drops.

Oh and I already am working on detoxing. Selenium, CLO, Mag is an issue we are working on lots of bone broths for now, The other 3 I'll have to look into. Haven't found an easy to take (pill) really good for me C so I tend to take it when I'm sick only.

our family is <>< and :
#253 of 710 Old 06-12-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Oh and I already am working on detoxing. Selenium, CLO, Mag is an issue we are working on lots of bone broths for now, The other 3 I'll have to look into. Haven't found an easy to take (pill) really good for me C so I tend to take it when I'm sick only.
I know that bone broth is often sited as a source of magnesium, but if you look at the actual percentage of bone that is magnesium, it's actually really low a 1:40 ratio with calcium is one number I read. I'm trying to find a textbook reference, but nak so not having much luck... The other side of that is that calcium and magnesium will compete for absorption. So I see bone broth as a great source of calcium, but I don't count it for magnesium at all.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#254 of 710 Old 06-12-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I know that bone broth is often sited as a source of magnesium, but if you look at the actual percentage of bone that is magnesium, it's actually really low a 1:40 ratio with calcium is one number I read. I'm trying to find a textbook reference, but nak so not having much luck... The other side of that is that calcium and magnesium will compete for absorption. So I see bone broth as a great source of calcium, but I don't count it for magnesium at all.
Well no matter if it is a source of mag or not I can only take about 200 mg of mag in any form (I've tried lots) before it triggers a real problem for me. Yet I have muscle spasms in my feet and my teeth hurt, a sign for me that I need more cal and mag (I'm getting 1300 cal in an MCHC supplement). I've started soaking my feet in epsom salts and ginger at bedtime and that is helping somewhat. I'm also eating soup 2-3 meals a day and a cup of broth at any meals that aren't soup. Not exactly summer fare but I've got to stop feeling like my body is falling apart. I digress.
The nutritionist I went to felt confident that my body would let me know if I needed more mag on the iodine (constipation) and then I could add it in.

our family is <>< and :
#255 of 710 Old 06-12-2009, 12:21 PM

Wow. I need 1200-1400mg Mag to get close to bowel tolerance. Weird that we're all so different.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#256 of 710 Old 06-12-2009, 02:31 PM

Can someone recommend where they got their iodine from? I was thinking of getting lugol's due to price, but I'm not sure which "Lugol's" i should be getting.. Has anyone had any success on the other liquid form of iodine? (can't remember the name from the first post- Iosol or something like that?)

Thanks!
#257 of 710 Old 06-12-2009, 06:51 PM

I just received my supplement order. I got a multi, Selenium (200mcg), Magnesium 500mg), Siberian Ginseng, Chromium with Vanadium, Vit C (1gram) & Cod liver oil (1000mg), and some liquid iodine (150mcg per 2 drops). Yay!

Now my only question is if it is okay to take all of these at the same time? Or are there any that compete with absorption & that I should split?

Oh, and I am going to get some Iodoral (12.5mg tabs) in a while. I want to taper up the dosage since I'm pretty sure I get almost no iodine in my diet. My question is, should I start at 150 mcg or should I start higher? Also, for tapering up, should I do it ever few days, every week, etc?

Thanks!

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#258 of 710 Old 06-12-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Patty,

I'm very concerned about those amounts for your kids. I posted only last week on Dr. Brownstein's recs for kids. For my 50 lb DS it would be 5.5mg which is not quite a full drop of 5% Lugol's.

Sprouthead,

I find that Iosol does indeed do something! I haven't found much opinion on it, it is less strength than Lugol's so maybe that is why the major iodine researchers don't bother with it. But certainly helpful for those of us who cannot tolerate the higher doses.

I got my Lugol's at a compounding pharmacy in my area, it was almost 2 years ago and I didn't need a px, I think you can get 1oz of 5% solution (which is 6.25mg per drop) without one.
#259 of 710 Old 06-12-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
I just received my supplement order. I got a multi, Selenium (200mcg), Magnesium 500mg), Siberian Ginseng, Chromium with Vanadium, Vit C (1gram) & Cod liver oil (1000mg), and some liquid iodine (150mcg per 2 drops). Yay!

Now my only question is if it is okay to take all of these at the same time? Or are there any that compete with absorption & that I should split?

Oh, and I am going to get some Iodoral (12.5mg tabs) in a while. I want to taper up the dosage since I'm pretty sure I get almost no iodine in my diet. My question is, should I start at 150 mcg or should I start higher? Also, for tapering up, should I do it ever few days, every week, etc?

Thanks!

Ami
Hey Ami,

I take all the things you have listed together in the morning, I haven't had any issues with it. What brand ginseng did you get? I only take two capsules per day...

You can start at the 150mcg and increase it a couple drops every day or every other day and see how you feel. With your first dose you may feel a giddy sort of hyper and then you may also have a hot flash that lasts about 30min. to an hour, this is normal, you body is simply readjusting to the iodine, it hasn't had it in a pure form and is sorta "surprised" to be getting it. I had this as did my husband and my brother in law, my mother and sister however did not...

I doubt you will feel too much difference in the two drops or the steady increase, but we are here to help if you have any questions. Stick with the drops until you buy the iodoral (btw I got mine off of ebay for $33 which included shipping for the 180 pill count).

#260 of 710 Old 06-13-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Hey Ami,

I take all the things you have listed together in the morning, I haven't had any issues with it. What brand ginseng did you get? I only take two capsules per day...

You can start at the 150mcg and increase it a couple drops every day or every other day and see how you feel. With your first dose you may feel a giddy sort of hyper and then you may also have a hot flash that lasts about 30min. to an hour, this is normal, you body is simply readjusting to the iodine, it hasn't had it in a pure form and is sorta "surprised" to be getting it. I had this as did my husband and my brother in law, my mother and sister however did not...

I doubt you will feel too much difference in the two drops or the steady increase, but we are here to help if you have any questions. Stick with the drops until you buy the iodoral (btw I got mine off of ebay for $33 which included shipping for the 180 pill count).
Hi,
ive been taking the liquid dulse for a week(3 drops) haven't felt any different I will take 4 tomorrow. I wanted to start slow because I haven't recieved my multi or magnesium yet.
The dulse is 225mcg per 4 drop that's not very much should i take more then the 4 drops daily?
P.S. I'm BF a 1 year old too
#261 of 710 Old 06-13-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Hey Ami,

I got Nature's Herbs Siberian Ginseng. Each capsule contains 400mg of it.

I took a double dose to start today, so 300mcg. Except for a bit of a tingle on my tongue for 30 min, I haven't noticed anything else. I figured that 150 mcg was a bit too small. No adverse effects, so good here.

Oh, and I took one One & Only yesterday (alone) & today, in combo with the rest of the stuff. My pee is bright yellow. Why would it be bright yellow? What nutrient in the multi is doing that? Have you experienced this?

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#262 of 710 Old 06-13-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Well no matter if it is a source of mag or not I can only take about 200 mg of mag in any form (I've tried lots) before it triggers a real problem for me. Yet I have muscle spasms in my feet and my teeth hurt, a sign for me that I need more cal and mag (I'm getting 1300 cal in an MCHC supplement). I've started soaking my feet in epsom salts and ginger at bedtime and that is helping somewhat. I'm also eating soup 2-3 meals a day and a cup of broth at any meals that aren't soup. Not exactly summer fare but I've got to stop feeling like my body is falling apart. I digress.
The nutritionist I went to felt confident that my body would let me know if I needed more mag on the iodine (constipation) and then I could add it in.
Some folks need to add taurine in to be able to absorb more magnesium. Here's a long, long page on magnesium, and a few folks in Allergies have a bit of experience with taurine, if you want to search a bit there.

http://george-eby-research.com/html/...n-anxiety.html
#263 of 710 Old 06-14-2009, 12:10 AM

My pee has always been bright yellow after taking vitamins, I read somewhere it's the b vitamins... I'd have to look again but it's not harmful, just a daily reminder you've taken your vits... lol at least it is to me, I sometimes forget but remember when my pee isn't bright yellow... Oh yeah that's right, I didn't take them yet.

#264 of 710 Old 06-14-2009, 01:53 AM

So I got some Lugol's today. The local pharmacist ordered it in, but we're both confused. (Yeah, thats right..the PHARMACIST is confused ) The bottle I got says Lugol's iodine solution. Underneath says (strong iodine solution) No % anywhere. When we looked at the page regarding the Lugol's soltion it said (approx. can't remember exactly) 100ml= 97-100g of iodine. Thats 100% or 10% ? like I said, both the pharmacist and I were confused. Anyone able to figure it out? If its 10%, what the heck do I do with it? Can I still use it?

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#265 of 710 Old 06-14-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerJayne View Post
So, the followup to my story is that after talking to my naturopath and also my iodine educated friend, so far it appears I have been having a major detox reaction. When I was taking the iodine, I was not following the protocol for support nutrients. After stopping the iodine supplementation, the only particularly troublesome symptom was that I felt too warm. Then, last Friday I drank homemade beet kvass for the first time and repeated through the weekend. I didn't make the connection, but I have since been told that beet kvass is a powerful liver detoxifier - that combined with the halides being kicked off the receptor sites without the nutrients to kick it out of the body seems to account for my experience. It was completely strange because I would go into what seemed like a hyper state for hours, and then like a light switch I would be fine and calm, and then the light switch would be flicked back on. I have been doing sea salt flushes, popping vit C like candy, and taking magnesium-baking soda- hydroden peroxide baths. Tonight I feel FABULOUS! And my husband says I look ten years younger. I don't know if I'm through it yet and if I'll rev up again into what feels like a hyper state, but each time I come down I seem even better. The naturopath talked to Dr. Brownstein's office and they said this sounded like detox reactions. I wasn't prepared. So, for those who are going to take iodine, look to this thread for all the important support nutrients! Thank you Jane and Nicole for your help!
Not out of the woods yet. I've been experiencing hyperthyroid symptoms for a week with only a small break. I'm going to try my best to beg the mercy of the iodine knowledgeable doctors to advise the course from here.
#266 of 710 Old 06-14-2009, 09:27 PM

Hopefully I didn't miss this being mentioned. I read last week in a silly article and one of my friends just heard that over 1000 mcg can cause hyperthyroidism. If this isn't true, and it doesn't seem to be, where is this information coming from?
#267 of 710 Old 06-14-2009, 11:52 PM

I've now read the whole thread.
Thought I would post my experience.
I started the iodine pills on Wed. Nutritionist told me to take them at bedtime so that is what I am doing. (might change if it seems like they start to keep me up per peoples experiences on here.) I'm to take 1 pill for a week and then increase to 2 if I don't see any adverse effects. I'm also taking two Standard Process supplements Thytrophin PMG and Mammary PMG (both my thyroid and breasts tested low for iodine) I take those 3x a day at meals. After the first dose of the sp stuff I noticed a huge change. I also have adrenal fatigue and usually feel more energetic and clearer headed late in the evening than I do all day. Well I felt super sleepy. Barely could function sleepy. I took the iodine at bedtime and didn't feel any different from that but I was so sleepy and yet couldn't get to sleep (story of my life but I think it has as much to do with the two children in my bed as my own imbalances). I dragged through the next few days, drinking extra coffee and taking it easy in any way that I could. Sat I tried a salt flush and felt much better for a few hours. Didn't notice anything else. AF arrived on Sat and I attributed my belly cramps to that. Took some aleve (only pain killer w/o corn in it) at bedtime and woke up with a very upset tummy. Finally mid afternoon I figured out that was wrong with me. I am constipated! I've been having a major problem with the opposite for over a year. So I took some mag. 1 tsp natural calm. Had one bm. Still obviously lots of stuff in there. Usually that much natural calm would have cleaned me out. I took another 1sp natural calm. Then I took 2g sodium ascorbate. Then 1200 mg C Then another tsp natural calm plus my evening pills that includes some mag (200mg ish IIRC) Then 1800mg C and I just took another 1800 mg C. Nothin. I'm hoping I go before bed. Oh I did a couple of those salt flushes tonight too.

I think the baby is constipated too.: She's just getting it through my bm. Hmmm... I had less broth today than I have been getting and only one pickle for probiotics. I tend to let DH run the food show on the weekends. More Saurkraut needed stat! I got a whole case of bubbies on last Tues and I think we have gone through 4 jars already. I found a cheap small fridge on craigs list for overflow fridge stuff. In the summer esp our fridge is always bursting with veggies from our CSA etc.

I've got my 5 year old on half an idoral. She seems to be doing ok on that. She has been detoxing for 2 years now and I'm excited about what this may do for her next. No constipation for her. Some increased irritability but very slight and it could be explained by some menu infractions too. Hopefully our liver life will arrive soon and help us deal with what we are setting free.

I've got a question. My friend had his thyroid removed 18 months ago or so IIRC (possibly less). He has been a wreck ever since. (was before too.) He was on synthroid with horrible results. Found a new doc to put him on Armour but then he recently went very hyper on that and had to cut back. He just got a 3 month leave of absence from his job to try to sort out his health. (The long list of stuff for him) Anyhow. I saw him today for the first time in a while and while he looked much better than the last time I had seen him he said he still isn't well. I'm wanting to send him some links to read about iodine. He is very open to this sort of thing both naturally and his desperation has gotten pretty deep. What links are good for his situation? I haven't had time to read them all and don't know when I will.

Thanks.

our family is <>< and :
#268 of 710 Old 06-15-2009, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
So I got some Lugol's today. The local pharmacist ordered it in, but we're both confused. (Yeah, thats right..the PHARMACIST is confused ) The bottle I got says Lugol's iodine solution. Underneath says (strong iodine solution) No % anywhere. When we looked at the page regarding the Lugol's soltion it said (approx. can't remember exactly) 100ml= 97-100g of iodine. Thats 100% or 10% ? like I said, both the pharmacist and I were confused. Anyone able to figure it out? If its 10%, what the heck do I do with it? Can I still use it?
I'd go back to where they ordered it from and get the recipe, it will tell you the percent. If 20 drops equals 1ml, then that conversion would mean each drop contains about 5mg. I think.
#269 of 710 Old 06-15-2009, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dera View Post
Hopefully I didn't miss this being mentioned. I read last week in a silly article and one of my friends just heard that over 1000 mcg can cause hyperthyroidism. If this isn't true, and it doesn't seem to be, where is this information coming from?
Old studies that were mistaken in their conclusions.

See "The Iodine Debate" at the Townsend Letter for Doctors & Patients
http://www.townsendletter.com/AugSep...805.htm#debate
#270 of 710 Old 06-15-2009, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Patty

Nice to see you!

First of all, I'm thrilled to hear your DD is taking it so well. She can do lots of celtic sea salt too.

1 tsp of Natural Calm is only 200mg right? I would do much more if you are having trouble. Guy Abraham, MD one of the Iodine Project researchers recommends 1200mg of magnesium per day! The increased toxins released by the iodine could indeed up your vit. C tolerance too, I'd just keep at it!

I would have your friend start at www.naturalthyroidchoices.com and if I were him I'd find an iodine knowledgable practitioner from list there or at http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/ipractitioners.html

The best site for iodine is Abraham's research at Optimox:
http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/opt_Research_I.shtml

I admit I don't know thyroid meds in depth at all, but going hyper on Armour with no thyroid sounds really weird to me.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page