It's CANCER post #19 What was your exp w/ breast biopsy/cancer treatment? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
1  2  3
Women's Health > It's CANCER post #19 What was your exp w/ breast biopsy/cancer treatment?
WuWei's Avatar WuWei 10:19 PM 06-16-2009
The application of probiotics in cancer.

de Moreno de LeBlanc A, Matar C, Perdigón G.
Centro de Referencia para Lactobacilos (CERELA-CONICET), Chacabuco 145, Tucumán, (T4000ILC) Argentina.
Lactic acid bacteria (LAB) are present in many foods such as yoghurt and are frequently used as probiotics to favour some biological functions in the host. Many investigators have evaluated the therapeutic effects of yoghurt and LAB commonly used in yoghurt production against diseases such as cancer, infection, and gastrointestinal disorders. The increase of immune cell activity in the prevention of cancer by LAB consumption has also been described. Another possible explanation for the preventive effect of probiotics on carcinogenesis is their effect on other bacteria in the intestine. Probiotics may suppress the growth of bacteria that convert procarcinogens into carcinogens, thereby reducing the amount of carcinogens in the intestine. The present review is focused on two types of cancer in which milk fermented by LAB may show a beneficial effect: colon cancer and breast cancer.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17922945

Priobiotic yogurt to relieve nausea and gut problems during chemo

http://csn.cancer.org/node/169454
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17895895

The role of dairy foods and probiotic bacteria in cancer prevention: recent evidences.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10884619
http://www.cababstractsplus.org/abst...No=20053140489

Finally, studies are outlined that show probiotic bacteria and prebiotics suppress tumour development in animals, and epidemiological studies that show consumption of fermented milk products may help reduce the risk of cancer at a number of sites.
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1204245

Antitumour activity is one of the health-promoting effects attributed to the lactic acid bacteria and their products of fermentation. Previous studies in mice demonstrated that bioactive compounds released in milk fermented by Lactobacillus helveticus R389 contribute to its immunoenhancing and antitumour properties. The aim of the present work was to study the effects of the consumption of milk fermented by L. helveticus R389 or its proteolytic-deficient variant, L. helveticus L89, on a murine hormone-dependent breast cancer model.

Conclusion: This study demonstrated that 7 days of cyclical administration of milk fermented by both strains of L. helveticus diminishes tumour growth, stimulating an antitumour immune response.

http://breast-cancer-research.com/content/7/4/R477
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17838839

Immunobiology: Effects of milk fermented by Lactobacillus helveticus R389 on immune cells associated to mammary glands in normal and a breast cancer model:
Antitumour activity is an effect attributed to probiotics and fermented foods. Here, the immune cells in mammary glands and cytokine concentration in serum were analyzed using mice fed with milk fermented by Lactobacillus helveticus R389 or L89 (proteolytic-deficient variant), injected or not with breast tumour cells. Mice were fed 7 days with fermented milk, injected with breast tumour cells and 4 days post-injection, they received fermented milk. IgA, CD4, CD8, cytokines and Bcl-2 positive cells in mammary glands and cytokine in serum were determined. Mice fed with L. helveticus R389 fermented milk and injected with tumour cells increased IgA and CD4 positive cells in mammary glands (tumour control increased CD8+ cells). Mice from fermented milk control groups (without tumour cell injection) did not show changes in immune cell or cytokine positive cell numbers.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...e7d96ba5b00e7f

Conclusions: Our findings suggest that the soluble polysaccharide fraction from L. acidophilus 606 may constitute a novel anticancer agent, which manifests a high degree of selectivity for human cancer cells and antioxidative agent in the food industry.
http://www.cababstractsplus.org/abst...No=20063082759
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17676082

Recent evidence suggests that the form of immune signal is strongly strain-dependent, with some well-defined bacterial strains potentiating systemic T helper (Th) 1-type immune activity and favoring cell-mediated immunity (CMI). Clinical studies have shown promising outlets for the use of non-pathogenic lactobacilli as provisioners of pro-Th1 immune signals in anti-allergy and anti-tumor immunotherapy, as well as combating intracellular microbial infections and immunosenescence. The underlying process appears to involve pro-Th1 activating cytokines (IFNα/IFNγ, IL-12, and IL-18) generated following bacterial contact with accessory leukocytes. The utilization of pro-Th1/CMI lactobacilli in present and future clinical immunotherapy is discussed.
http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.c...00570/abstract
http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retri...29104902000570

http://www.masstechportal.org/IP4788.aspx

Cell-mediated mechanisms such as Th1 responses have an impact on breast cancer survival.

"In contrast to the long-held belief that breast cancer is a weakly immunogenic tumor, accumulating evidence indicates an immune infiltrate is an invariable finding in breast cancers, raising hopes that immunotherapy for breast cancers may succeed in targeted patients,
http://www.newsrx.com/newsletters/Im...0633321LW.html

Several nutrients and hormones measurably influence Th1/Th2 balance, including plant sterols/sterolins, melatonin, probiotics, progesterone, and the minerals selenium and zinc. The long-chain omega-3 fatty acids EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) significantly benefit diverse inflammatory and autoimmune conditions without any specific Th1/Th2 effect.
http://www.citeulike.org/user/Zephyrus/article/3731349

Pat

WuWei's Avatar WuWei 11:01 PM 06-16-2009
Pubmed
Medscape
Science Direct
Mayo Clinic

Medicine Net
NCBI
WebMD
Medline
eMedicine
Merck Manual
Family Doctor
Cochrane review
Science Daily
BMJ (British Medical Journal)
Lancet

biomedexperts
SpringerLink

CDC?
NIH
NCI

wikipedia is helpful if you just look at the linked references as sources
find-health-articles.com is helpful for an overview

The bolded ones are the most reputable, professionally, imo.

Ahhh...natural health info? Good luck. Basically, if they are selling you something, I just skip that source.

Pat
EFmom's Avatar EFmom 11:40 PM 06-16-2009
When reading studies, it is important to actually read the study and not merely an abbreviated abstract. Many studies will talk about the potential anti-tumor properties of various agents in cell culture. While that may be an indication that the agent should be studied further, it cannot be assumed that the agent will have those properties in humans, as more often than not, it won't. If you find promising in vitro data, try to see if the authors have published further work.

Also, anecdotes are just that. They are not scientific evidence.
WuWei's Avatar WuWei 01:09 AM 06-17-2009
This extensive article from The National Cancer Institute discusses the role of nutrition in immunology and cancer growth. Specific foods and nutrients (fats, probiotics, vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, polysaccharides, polyphenols, etc.) are attributed to inhibiting tumor growth.

March 23, 2005: Immunonutrition - Enhancing Tumoricidal Cell Activity - Executive Summary
Purpose of the Workshop Susan Percival, Nutritional Sciences Research Group (NSRG), Division of Cancer Prevention (DCP), National Cancer Institute (NCI) This workshop was designed around mounting information linking immuno-suppression with malignancy, the ability of bioactive food components to enhance certain aspects of immunity, and evidence that dietary habits can influence cancer risk and tumor behavior. This workshop brought together immunologists, cell biologists, and nutritionists to discuss issues surrounding diet, the immune system, and cancer prevention.
http://dcp.cancer.gov/Files/news-events/20050323e.pdf

Another comprehensive article noting the lack of funded research regarding specific nutrients and cancer despite American Cancer Society's suggestion to consume at least five servings of fruits and vegetables per day. Although, it has been shown to decrease the risk of cancer. The few studies on the relationship between dietary fat and recurrence of breast cancer suggest that low levels of fat in the diet might be associated with lower recurrence rates and better survival.
http://caonline.amcancersoc.org/cgi/.../full/51/3/153

Only man-made medical supplements and chemotherapy agents are researched by pharmaceutical companies, it seems. Even in national research, funding leads that which one seeks to "discover". Traditional Whole Foods are not patentable, nor profitable for "discovery".

Pat
EFmom's Avatar EFmom 08:57 PM 06-17-2009
abomgardner417, I just wanted to give you a and let you know I'm thinking about you. I hope you are hanging in there OK!
abomgardner417's Avatar abomgardner417 05:58 PM 06-19-2009
No real news to update or report, other than my CAT scan came back normal, which was such a relief. I was terrified it had already spread somewhere else. Now just the MRI and bone scan next week.

I see two oncologists in a couple weeks. Hopefully, I'll feel comfortable with at least one of them and we can get started. Then once I get my chemo protocol, I can go see my N.D. and have him put together a plan for keeping me healthy during chemo. My counselor can't get me in for a couple weeks either, but that's my fault for not calling sooner. I just kept putting it off cause that would mean really admitting that I have cancer.

I appreciate everyone thinking of me so much. Yesterday was a horrible day. I just wanted this to go away and the phone just kept ringing with people who had more ideas, more doc recommendations, more appts. Every time I would get on the phone, my boys would escape out the door. They know how to unlock all the doors. We just moved in two weeks ago and with all this cancer stuff I haven't had time to call the landlord and see if he can put some chains on the doors, so if I'm not vigilant they escape. They were just terrors yesterday, which was probably because they felt my stress and depression and anger.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a weekend where I don't have to talk to any nurses and doctors or people calling from the hospital to pre-register me for stuff. And hopefully I can just try to have a normal weekend and pretend for a little while I don't have to deal with this!
Kidzaplenty's Avatar Kidzaplenty 06:09 PM 06-19-2009

Liquesce's Avatar Liquesce 06:19 PM 06-19-2009
I know it's a cheesy cliche, but you have such a great attitude. I really hope everything goes as easily as humanly possible for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abomgardner417 View Post
And hopefully I can just try to have a normal weekend and pretend for a little while I don't have to deal with this!
If it's distractions you're looking for, you could always tell your MIL you've been having a hankering for a nice, big bowl of potato salad ............ :
jlovesl's Avatar jlovesl 06:34 PM 06-19-2009
I had a lump in my breast biopsied and it never hurt. Left a big bruise but that didn't bother me much. I had mine done after 2 ultrasounds and a mammogram. I was 26 years old. Happy to say all is fine. Lump is still there but not cancer. It still hurts from time to time. I was told it may go away if I got pregnant, which it never did. I just can not remember what they said it was????
swissmiss2584's Avatar swissmiss2584 09:27 PM 06-19-2009
I recently had a clinical breast exam because I found a lump and although she is not alarmed by it she wants me to have an ultrasound done to see if it is just a fluid filled cyst. I am still anxious regardless of what she said and that is why I have been doing some research on natural healing and prevention. Here are a few things that I have found and am either starting to do or am researching further.

Apricot seeds
B17
Gerson diet
Tumeric supplements
wheat grass
aloe vera
CoQ10

I will be praying for you. Love and hugs! Lindsey
CorasMama's Avatar CorasMama 11:03 PM 06-19-2009
My experience.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...560&highlight=

Painful, but benign.

I'm now coming up on the first of my now-twice-yearly scans. If you go back a few months on Jay Lake's livejournal, he talks about The Fear. It's really very interesting stuff.
abomgardner417's Avatar abomgardner417 09:03 PM 06-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
I know it's a cheesy cliche, but you have such a great attitude. I really hope everything goes as easily as humanly possible for you.

If it's distractions you're looking for, you could always tell your MIL you've been having a hankering for a nice, big bowl of potato salad ............ :
:Puke Nooooooo! So funny. I'm still terrified she'll happen upon that thread someday.
Maybe all this is my punishment for being such a mean dil?!
I do wish I had kept the pics of the pot salad though!
JessicaS's Avatar JessicaS 09:05 PM 06-20-2009
omg the potato salad!!

NNNNNooooooooooo!!

:Puke
LavenderMae's Avatar LavenderMae 12:18 PM 06-21-2009
You'll be in my thoughts. I am hoping your treatments go as well as they possibly can for you. I know that there are some good drugs now for controlling side effects of chemo (my almost 3 yr. old nephew has t-cell ALL).
So much love and healing to you.
tanyam926's Avatar tanyam926 01:23 PM 06-21-2009
More

Healing thoughts and prayers to you mama!
Dakota's Mom's Avatar Dakota's Mom 02:17 PM 06-21-2009
Quote:
Well, it's not good news. It's cancer and it's stage 1 with a grade 3 tumor. but the plan is chemo after July 1st.

They're just moving so fast.

I've been with family and friends most of the day so that helps.

I know this is so shallow, but I can't help grieving about my hair. I just keep thinking I'm not gonna have hair for my sister's wedding. I don't want to be bald (but I also don't want to be dead!), I don't want people to look at me, I don't want to be ugly, I don't want my kids to be scared of me.

EFmom, how do I cope w/ that, will I ever get over it, how long will it be before my hair starts falling out? And can you tell me about your chemo experience?
I am starting chemo on July 2 so I can totally relate to your fears and all. I had stage 1b uterine cancer whatever that means. It was removed on June 1. But they are doing chemo and radiation therapy.

They do move fast. In some ways it is reassuring to know that they care enough to want to stay on top of it. But sometimes you just need to take a day or so and try to forget about cancer. Spending time with family and friends is the best way to do that. You're doing the right thing.

You're certainly not being shallow. I think most of us who have cancer have spent time grieving about our hair. That's one of the big things I've been focused on. I'm thinking about cutting my waist length hair now so it won't be so tramatic when it falls out. But my husband doesn't want me to. He still thinks I might not lose my hair. But I'm not holding out any hope. My doctor gave me a perscription for a wig. She says that insurance will pay for it. But I'm not sure I want to go that route. I have started thinking about making some cute caps to wear. Most of the research I have done says it starts to fall out 10 to 14 days after the first treatment. The people at the cancer center I go to all say it will grow back in thick and curly. Maybe a wig is the best way to go for you. You have to decide what is most important for you.

My son is 6 years old. He kind of understands what is going on. At least in his own way. He decided that mommy has aliens in her tummy. The robot (I had robotic surgery) took all the aliens out. But now there might be little baby alien eggs so mommy has to take medicine to kill the alien eggs so they don't hatch and grow into aliens. He thinks it is totally funny that the medicine will make all of mommy's hair fall out. He can't wait to see mommy bald. I don't know how old your kids are but maybe you can explain things to them in a similar manor. The main thing is to not try to hide everything from them. They will feel your moods and your grief. And they will automatically think the worst. For a while we tried not talking about it in front of Dakota. But his behavior showed that he knew something was going on. Once we were able to talk about it with him and let him express his fears, his behavior has gotten a lot better.

You will be in my thoughts as you continue through this process. Next year, may we both be writing about how silly all those fears were and how happy we are to be alive.

Kathi
MaryJaneLouise's Avatar MaryJaneLouise 11:23 PM 06-21-2009

I went through breast cancer surgery & chemo at age 34. The advice I would give is to shave your head BEFORE you hair falls out. For some reason the thought of seeing big clumps falling out gave me the shivers. Also, take the anti-nausea pills -- as much as they give you, IN ADVANCE. Don't wait until you think you "need" them. Same with the stool softener -- seriously. Very seriously. That stuff is major-major-major constipating
WuWei's Avatar WuWei 11:57 PM 06-21-2009
If you are experiencing some nausea, you might find that the nausea
changes over time, over the course of the day or week. But, if you
evaluate the symptoms and feelings around the nausea and identify one
of the homepathics which most closely resembles, it really, really
could help. They are only like $5 each, so you could buy several at a
natural food store and just use whichever one fits at any point in the
day.

The nux vomica and sepia are very commonly used for nausea. Sepia,
especially when you feel like you need extra TLC. It helps you to feel
loved more readily.

Ginger cookies help too.

Here are some homeopathics for morning sickness which could feel similarly.
http://www.moondragon.org/obgyn/preg...meopathic.html

Some Bach Flower remedies might help too.

Pat
abomgardner417's Avatar abomgardner417 12:13 PM 06-30-2009
Just a quick update - All my scans were normal! No evidence of cancer anywhere except the boob! And, the best part for me, what I was hoping to hear more than anything else - no breast cancer gene! : No double mastectomy, no ovary removal! I had a consult with an onco yesterday and one with a different onco today. And I've found the Block Center in Illinois that does integrative therapy - a place where they'll do chemo, supplements and complimentary therapy and GOOD nutrition together. So I'm trying to get an appt with them as well cause that's my ideal treatment.

Thanks again everyone for the support and to everyone that has pm'd me - THANK YOU! I'm sorry if I haven't gotten back to you yet, but I appreciate you all taking the time to write me!
WuWei's Avatar WuWei 01:13 PM 06-30-2009

Pat
PGTlatte's Avatar PGTlatte 05:48 PM 06-30-2009
I am very glad for you. I hope your treatment goes smoothly and that you have all the support you need.

Quote:
Just a quick update - All my scans were normal! No evidence of cancer anywhere except the boob! And, the best part for me, what I was hoping to hear more than anything else - no breast cancer gene! :

Amila's Avatar Amila 06:49 PM 06-30-2009
I am SO happy for you. i have been following your thread and praying for you! I had a breast cancer scare and i really am happy you will be ok
Calm's Avatar Calm 07:14 PM 06-30-2009
Sorry I'm late to the thread. I see things are good now. I would like to help you make sure it doesn't come back. You may like to read my page on cancer, it is necessary to understand the type of treatment you'll need. It may be unlike any other information about cancer you've ever read.

My page.

The treatment part (at the end of the article) is not complete by a long shot. And I need to make changes throughout. If you are interested, let me know.

Cancer is a systemic problem gone local, NOT a local problem that becomes systemic. You must treat your system.
rabbitmum's Avatar rabbitmum 09:34 PM 06-30-2009
I just read this whole thread now. I was happy to finally see that it is only that one lump you need to get rid of!

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer (stage 2B) 10 months ago and had to go through eight weeks of radiation and chemo. It was tough, but somehow it all went surprisingly well, better than I imagined beforehand! I'm not saying it was easy, but one day passed at a time, and I thought to myself "Well, this day wasn't so bad!", and in the end it was over and I started feeling better again.

I feel that the shock of getting the diagnosis, and the stress of waiting for test results and scans, were the hardest parts of it. I remember the doctor who told me it was cancer (he could see it, and was sure even before he had taken the biopsies) said: "Remember, you are going to get well!" and that really helped me. Whenever I was struggling, I forced myself to think to myself: "I'm going to get well, I'm going to get well, I'm going to get well..." and it helped me get through it.

I used acupuncture to help with the nausea and generally strengthen my system, and I felt that worked rather well. It could be worth looking into for you too. I did use anti-nausea medicines too, in case you wondered - lots!

I had problems eating but found that I could usually at least manage pro-biotic drinking yoghurt and bananas. Broth with soft meat balls also worked well. My senses of taste and smell went all awry, and I was worried they would never be the same again, but they have come back just fine.

I didn't lose my hair (because of the type of chemo), but I know a couple of others who have had breast cancer and lost their hair, and they both got thick, curly hair when it grew back!

This first year after the treatment I am having check-ups every three months, and everything has been fine. It has been a gradual process, but now I don't worry much anymore, there can be many days between every time I even remember that I had cancer.

So hang in there! The time before you actually start the treatment is the worst. Soon you will be in the process of getting well, and in a short while you are going to be - and feel like - a healthy, beautiful woman again!
Doodlebugsmom's Avatar Doodlebugsmom 12:52 AM 07-01-2009
I'm glad you posted with good news today!

I just wanted to tell you that my neighbor who is a good friend and fellow mama, was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma a couple of months ago. She just had her 3rd (of 6) chemo treatments, and it's really going well. She shaved her head soon after her first treatment, as her hair was starting to come out in clumps. She looks awesome with no hair! Seriously! She's been feeling great other than a couple days of slight nausea following each treatment. She also has some anxiety that is created by the prednisone she has to take following each treatment. She went for some Reiki before her most recent treatment, and says it made a HUGE difference. (She's not a real energy-work type of person either.) She will continue getting the Reiki treatments throughout the duration of her chemo.

I know from time to time she gets really scared, but things are going much better than she anticipated. It isn't nearly as bad as she thought it would be.

Good luck!
gabbyraja's Avatar gabbyraja 10:45 PM 11-18-2011

I want to resurrect this old thread to thank Pat, and others. I just posted looking for this exact sort of info for my mil. She is of the "do whatever a doctor tells you to do" generation, so I believe she will half-heartedly take my advice (for which she has asked) and will take the chemo and whatever else an invasive dr tells her to do. I will do what I can, keep my fingers crossed for her, and be here to comfort (and bolster the stressed health of) my dh and kids.

But, I believe my mother will someday deal with this. She has done just terrible things to her body in her life, and was diagnosed w/IBS in her twenties and told she just had to avoid a certain list of foods.shake.gif Her health has steadily declined since.

Since moving in with me 1 yr ago she quite smoking, started eating TFs and taking the supplements I recommend, and doing what she can to combat her fibro and adrenal fatigue. She already has almost eliminated her Parkinson's-like shaking and improved her immunity in the past year. We're income-challenged and she's unable to work due to her health, so it's a slow process. Thanks to Pat we've got our water kefir and kombucha, though. wink1.gif But her strides are slower than anyone's and she's very resistant to giving up her vices: Alleve for her chronic pain (her poor liver!), grapefruit seed extract on a daily basis, junk/fast food, a box of wine every 3 days or so (I make her good probiotic wine, and 5 gallons of mead at a time when I can afford the honey, but I can't make it fast enough shake.gif ), etc. I expect something like cancer, or maybe a stroke or something, to shock her hard enough to make her make the last BIG changes. Luckily she honestly thinks I'm the smartest person she knows, and she SAYS she would trust me more than any doctor any day. Probably because of the amazing strides she's made herself and those she's seen in the kids and me. Most of the patting on the back really belongs to Pat, and Panserbjorne, tanyalynn, mtn_mama, and the many other incredibly wise women on this forum.

So, a big THANK YOU, and an invitation to please come back and post any updates from the OP, or any further info on alternative and integrative treatments that didn't get shared or has been uncovered since.

1  2  3

Up