Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: On a flat Earth, circled by the Sun
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Dd is an active, healthy 6yo girl - on Mon. she started complaining of a severe headache around noon. A short while later she started feeling nauseous. She tried to play outside with her friends, but ended up just holding her head and crying. At 8 that night she started vomiting, and she threw up about once an hour then until 7 AM. At that point she stayed asleep until about 3 in the afternoon - I figured she would feel better after getting that solid sleep, but her head still hurt. She ate, threw up, and went back to sleep. She woke up at 9 last night still in terrible pain, and we went to the ER. They checked her, said it was probably a migraine; she had IV fluids for the dehydration and some meds fr the nausea and pain, and left feeling chipper.
Then it started again last night, and she's been asleep all day (it is past four in the afternoon now) and any time she wakes she cries that her head hurts.
They gave us one Zofran in case she had any more nausea, but no Reglan for the headache. Ibuprofen and Tylenol don't TOUCH the headache - I might as well give her sugar pills. I don't feel comfortable raising the dosages to levels that might work without medical advice on that... and we can't get in to our new PCP until August. I am usually against meds, and initially turned down the Zofran and Reglan in the IV (the fluids she needed!) because her symptoms were on the wane. The Dr was really respectful, and said that migraines can wax and wane, and that the Reglan would stop it so that it wouldn't come back later on - he made sense so I consented. But it seems to have been pointless.
Any advice would be appreciated. She is miserable. 54 hours of this - do I take her back to the ER or wait it out?
Christine, mama to Daniel & Abby, 9 and Patrick, 4. Wife to a rockin' train engineer. Gluten and nightshade-free. Multiple kiddie food sensitivities.