My 6yo has a migraine... advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-10-2009, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Dd is an active, healthy 6yo girl - on Mon. she started complaining of a severe headache around noon. A short while later she started feeling nauseous. She tried to play outside with her friends, but ended up just holding her head and crying. At 8 that night she started vomiting, and she threw up about once an hour then until 7 AM. At that point she stayed asleep until about 3 in the afternoon - I figured she would feel better after getting that solid sleep, but her head still hurt. She ate, threw up, and went back to sleep. She woke up at 9 last night still in terrible pain, and we went to the ER. They checked her, said it was probably a migraine; she had IV fluids for the dehydration and some meds fr the nausea and pain, and left feeling chipper.

Then it started again last night, and she's been asleep all day (it is past four in the afternoon now) and any time she wakes she cries that her head hurts.

They gave us one Zofran in case she had any more nausea, but no Reglan for the headache. Ibuprofen and Tylenol don't TOUCH the headache - I might as well give her sugar pills. I don't feel comfortable raising the dosages to levels that might work without medical advice on that... and we can't get in to our new PCP until August. I am usually against meds, and initially turned down the Zofran and Reglan in the IV (the fluids she needed!) because her symptoms were on the wane. The Dr was really respectful, and said that migraines can wax and wane, and that the Reglan would stop it so that it wouldn't come back later on - he made sense so I consented. But it seems to have been pointless.

Any advice would be appreciated. She is miserable. 54 hours of this - do I take her back to the ER or wait it out?

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#2 of 11 Old 06-10-2009, 05:36 PM

that sounds serious. i know you said you can't see doc till august but I would try to call to see If they can make an exception. I wish i could be of more help. I will say i would definitely get her seeing a chiropractor regularly.
#3 of 11 Old 06-10-2009, 08:44 PM

I'd feel OK dismissing a 54-hour headache in a child with a history of migraines, but that's beyond my comfort level for someone without that history.

My concern is that something else is going on. If she's not better, I'd advocate for having a medical professional check her out again. They might want to run a few more tests.
#4 of 11 Old 06-10-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
My Dd is an active, healthy 6yo girl - on Mon. she started complaining of a severe headache around noon. A short while later she started feeling nauseous. She tried to play outside with her friends, but ended up just holding her head and crying. At 8 that night she started vomiting, and she threw up about once an hour then until 7 AM. At that point she stayed asleep until about 3 in the afternoon - I figured she would feel better after getting that solid sleep, but her head still hurt. She ate, threw up, and went back to sleep. She woke up at 9 last night still in terrible pain, and we went to the ER. They checked her, said it was probably a migraine; she had IV fluids for the dehydration and some meds fr the nausea and pain, and left feeling chipper.

Then it started again last night, and she's been asleep all day (it is past four in the afternoon now) and any time she wakes she cries that her head hurts.

They gave us one Zofran in case she had any more nausea, but no Reglan for the headache. Ibuprofen and Tylenol don't TOUCH the headache - I might as well give her sugar pills. I don't feel comfortable raising the dosages to levels that might work without medical advice on that... and we can't get in to our new PCP until August. I am usually against meds, and initially turned down the Zofran and Reglan in the IV (the fluids she needed!) because her symptoms were on the wane. The Dr was really respectful, and said that migraines can wax and wane, and that the Reglan would stop it so that it wouldn't come back later on - he made sense so I consented. But it seems to have been pointless.

Any advice would be appreciated. She is miserable. 54 hours of this - do I take her back to the ER or wait it out?

Reglan is not a pain medication. It's an anti-nausea medication just as Zofran is. I really would not accept the diagnosis of migraines without imaging (CT or MRI) to rule out other issues. If you can't see a PCP until August, I'd take a referral to someone who could get her in before then.
#5 of 11 Old 06-10-2009, 09:17 PM

is she doing any better this evening?
#6 of 11 Old 06-11-2009, 12:54 AM

How is she doing now?

Pat

I have a blog.
#7 of 11 Old 06-28-2009, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone -- after about 58 hours the migraine lifted, and from then on she was fine. She did have a CAT scan before they dxed migraine, and they ruled out infection as well. Her symptoms were all consistent with migraine -- the duration was ridiculous though!

If it ever happens again, we'll get her lying in a dark room right away... she was complaining of headache from early in the day, but kept going outside to run around in the hot sun with her friends. She'd never had a migraine and seemed fine otherwise, but in hindsight if she had rested at that beginning stage, maybe it wouldn't have ended up being so bad? Also, we don't give pain meds for much around here... if at the first sign of pain we'd given some ibuprofen or something, perhaps that would have helped-- because once the pain got bad, no analgesic even touched it.

I don't know much about migraines, it's never been something I experienced. I'm kind of irked to find out about the Reglan -- in looking up side effects, I was horrified that I let the dr convince me to let her have it. The ONLY reason I agreed was he said it would keep her migraine from coming back, and he was very convincing. Urgh. Yeah.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#8 of 11 Old 06-28-2009, 01:40 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My dd once had an extreme migraine for which I had to take her to the ER.

She had eaten Chinese food the night before............it was probably a MSG-triggered migraine.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#9 of 11 Old 06-28-2009, 07:33 PM

I would look at food triggers. i'm glad her CT scan was clear.

Christine, mama to Daniel & Abby, 9 and Patrick, 4. Wife to a rockin' train engineer. Gluten and nightshade-free. Multiple kiddie food sensitivities.

#10 of 11 Old 06-28-2009, 07:47 PM

I started having migraines at that age...there are many triggers so you will need to do further research.

For me, it was getting dehydrated/overheated, chocolate, caffeine, too much sleep, too little sleep, change in routine (I ALWAYS got a migraine on vacation) and, as I got older, hormones (always a migraine the weekend before and weekend after my period). I do better with migraines if I avoid processed foods, sugary stuff.

MSG is a trigger for a lot of folks, but not me. Cheese too.

http://www.healthcentral.com/migrain...s-22175-5.html

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
#11 of 11 Old 06-28-2009, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
from someone who gets them all the time. where i would take 4 xtra strength tylenol might take the edge off. i am not a huge fan of drugs. i now wear amber (same as teething necklaces) 24 hours a day exept when bathing. this has made a huge improvement. i still get the low grade ones but they are not like before.::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page