Sudden sore throat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-10-2009, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No idea what's going on, so I thought I would see if anyone has any input...
Today I noticed my throat being a little sore around lunch, then by mid-afternoon it had gotten worse to the point that I find it painful to talk or swallow and almost started feeling choked, like my voicebox was swollen and narrowing my throat. The swelling feeling has gone down a bit but it's still sore. I don't have any allergies so it wasn't a reaction to anything.
The weird thing about it, besides the suddenness of onset, is the quality of the pain. It's not scratchy or close to the back of my mouth (top of my throat) like it normally is when I get a sore throat with a cold or flu. Instead it's tender and sore almost from the outside, and very low, in the area of my adam's apple. In fact, it feels really sore when I press on and around my voicebox or move it by swallowing or talking. Though not sore like the lining of my throat is sore, but sore like bruised or swollen. I have had similar pain before but much more moderately and passing pretty quickly, usually on the tail end of another illness.
The lymph nodes at the base of my jaw are tender when I press on them. Does that mean an infection or just that my immune system is working a bit harder than usual?
I don't feel feverish, I don't have any symptoms of a cold, no cough, no nausea (*knock on wood*), nothing to indicate outright illness. However, I feel "off" and a bit more tired than usual and I've been resting and drinking warm liquids since afternoon. Something is definitely up.
But what? I have never experienced this kind of throat pain before outside the context of having my voicebox bruised up from a severe cough, and I don't think I've had my throat be really sore apart from other symptoms. Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-10-2009, 09:00 PM

I get that occasionally and I haven't yet figured out what it is. I also can't decide if its coming from my esophagus or my throat. It feels kind of like someone had yanked my shirt from behind, leaving a feeling of pressure/soreness by my adam's apple. I think maybe it might be related to allergies but I'm not sure.

Oh wait - I remember what I decided what it was. Esophageal spasms. Harmless, and possibly related to stress or anxiety.
#3 of 6 Old 06-10-2009, 09:13 PM

I get a strange sore throat from pollen allergies. Definitely feels different than the sore throat from a cold.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#4 of 6 Old 06-11-2009, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post
I get that occasionally and I haven't yet figured out what it is. I also can't decide if its coming from my esophagus or my throat. It feels kind of like someone had yanked my shirt from behind, leaving a feeling of pressure/soreness by my adam's apple. I think maybe it might be related to allergies but I'm not sure.

Oh wait - I remember what I decided what it was. Esophageal spasms. Harmless, and possibly related to stress or anxiety.
That's exactly what this feels like! (or felt like, since it seems to be mostly gone after I slept all night). Thanks for the heads up, had no idea those existed.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#5 of 6 Old 10-16-2009, 02:47 PM

I have the same thing happening to me. Was the Esophagal spasms the end result to the symptoms described? I'd really like to find out from any of you related to this thread to see how long the pain lasted, if you did any home remedies, did you end up going to the doctor?

I'd appreciate any feedback on this as I'm sititng here dealing with the exact same pain that you all went through.

THanks!!!!
#6 of 6 Old 10-16-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parr0tHed View Post
I have the same thing happening to me. Was the Esophagal spasms the end result to the symptoms described? I'd really like to find out from any of you related to this thread to see how long the pain lasted, if you did any home remedies, did you end up going to the doctor?

I'd appreciate any feedback on this as I'm sititng here dealing with the exact same pain that you all went through.

THanks!!!!
I get esophageal spasms now and then. Sometimes its only for a day and other times its lasted for a week. Rather annoying.

I never did any treatment except reduce coffee. Any foods that tend to constrict the muscles of the esophagus should be avoided, so basically, that's the same diet as for reflux. I think tomatoes are out, too.

If its stress-related and its severe, I think some people take anti-anxiety medication to treat it. I never tried that, though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page