What could this be? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-10-2009, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My chest has hurt lately, and it's a little hard to breathe. I am having numbness in both my arms (they are tingling like they are asleep) any clue?

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#2 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 03:28 AM

Doesn't seem the same as my post, but the both arms numb and tingling was enough for me to put the link to a thread I started a few days ago about my brother. Various ideas were put forth based on the symptoms I listed.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1095473

In addition to this, try going to this site to help figure it out. You can type in symptoms and look at a list of things it "could" be to help narrow it down.

Hope you figure it out.

mom of twins.gif boys born 9/13/05 and dog2.gifdog2.gif

#3 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 09:44 AM

Personally, I'd go to a doctor and make sure you don't have clogged arteries. It could be pinched nerves, but with trouble breathing, it sounds more complicated.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

clogged arteries sounds pretty unlikely-- I'm a 22 year old vegetarian and I weigh about 110 lbs.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#5 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 PM

I would go to the Chiropractor if I had those symptoms. Mid back subluxations can present with those symptoms. Mid back subluxations are very common in breastfeeding women due to the 'postures' one needs to repeatedly put their body into to feed a child.
#6 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 07:33 PM

It sounds like symptoms of anxiety/panic attack to me.
#7 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom View Post
I would go to the Chiropractor if I had those symptoms. Mid back subluxations can present with those symptoms. Mid back subluxations are very common in breastfeeding women due to the 'postures' one needs to repeatedly put their body into to feed a child.
That sounds entirely possible. I will see my chiro.

#8 of 17 Old 06-12-2009, 02:28 AM

It could probably be several things; two come to mind. Carpal tunnel syndrome can actually make your shoulders feel numb, especially at night. That was my mom's primary symptom.

And not to alarm you but I have multiple sclerosis and mild numbness/tingling was my first symptom. (I had a slight tingling and numbness in my thumb, which spread to my arm and chest area.)

I went to a general practitioner who scheduled an MRI of my neck to see if I had a pinched nerve and lo and behold there was a lesion on my cervical cord. From there I was referred to a neurologist who did an MRI of my brain, too. It was clean. A year later, however, when I went for a follow-up MRI, they saw a couple in my brain so I got the MS diagnosis. So far, though, I've not had another full blown relapse, just intermittent symptoms. It has been 4 years so I have my fingers crossed that I won't progress quickly. I've also corrected my Vitamin D deficiency. Now is a good time to get your Vitamin D levels checked. I'm 100% convinced being severely deficient is what set me up for MS.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#9 of 17 Old 06-12-2009, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

I hope it's not MS, since my husband has MS! That'd be pretty crazy!

#10 of 17 Old 06-12-2009, 02:50 AM

Oooh! That would be crazy. I've read about a few couples that both ended up having it and it seemed surreal to me. My DH had some numbness and tingling a few times and we've always had the same 'That'd be crazy!' thought too!

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#11 of 17 Old 06-12-2009, 07:51 AM

My friend was told last month that he has a tumor on his pituitary and he had described those symptoms.Last summer they were telling him it was just panic attacks since his wife had just deployed and he was home with twin 2 year old girls.It's good that you are gathering info to have some direction in your diagnosis.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#12 of 17 Old 06-12-2009, 10:33 AM

Well the first thing that comes to mind is costochondritis-an inflammation in the cartilage that connects your ribs. It can cause chest pain and pressure that can also go into your arms. Since you are a vegetarian anemia can definitely be a possibilty as well as a B12 deficiency.
#13 of 17 Old 06-12-2009, 10:52 AM

It could also be Thoracic Outlet Syndrome where muscles can compress nerves and blood vessels causing those symptoms. It's fairly common and if not advanced can be easily remedied with stretching and massage therapy.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#14 of 17 Old 06-12-2009, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga4kat View Post
Well the first thing that comes to mind is costochondritis-an inflammation in the cartilage that connects your ribs. It can cause chest pain and pressure that can also go into your arms. Since you are a vegetarian anemia can definitely be a possibilty as well as a B12 deficiency.
I have had costochondritis before, so I know how that feels, this isn't it.

Also, I take sublingual B12, and have recently had my iron checked and am not anemic.

#15 of 17 Old 06-12-2009, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

I do have panic attacks an anxiety problems, but this seems to occur when I am not feeling particularly stressed, or panicked at all.

Thanks everyone for helping me out!

#16 of 17 Old 06-12-2009, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimara View Post
It could also be Thoracic Outlet Syndrome where muscles can compress nerves and blood vessels causing those symptoms. It's fairly common and if not advanced can be easily remedied with stretching and massage therapy.
Interesting, I have never heard of that!

#17 of 17 Old 06-12-2009, 04:41 PM

I'd hit the chiropractor first. I get wierd stuff like that whenever my back is out (whether I realize it's out somewhere or not). Numbness is most often caused by something restricting the nerve in some way, and the most common reason would be that something's out of whack a bit. If that did no good then I'd pursue it further.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page