Peeling skin on feet after chicken pox? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-11-2009, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, all!

Sounds a little weird, but I'm wondering if it's related. Last week, DS (20mo) had chicken pox. He had a pretty bad case, but no complications. His rash started on Tuesday and by Sunday he was definitely "done" and all crusted up. On Tuesday, we noticed he was rather warm, and he was still clingy. He did develop a fairly high fever (around 102°) by evening, but it decreased throughout the night and hasn't returned. He's still pretty clingy and wants to nurse constantly.

Holding him this evening, I discovered that the skin on his toes and the soles of his feet is peeling. I can just see very thin lines of the peeling white skin. His feet do seem a little dry, but nothing terrible.

I'd probably not think more of it if it weren't for the fever the other day, which only was of any concern because he was just getting over varicella. I haven't found much by Googling (other than that peeling feet can be related to things such as strep and toxic shock syndrome), and so wondered if this was a normal thing with natural chicken pox cases, or something to be concerned about.

(I knew I shouldn't have Googled TSS... Just did and it lists one possible avenue for infection as sores like in chicken pox. But he doesn't seem to have the rash that's typical of TSS, so I highly doubt it's an issue.)

Soo... Anyone else see this after the pox?

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#2 of 2 Old 09-15-2012, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi---
So I know this post is several years old but I'm wondering there were ever any other complications or long term problems with your son that had the peeling feet after the chicken pox? My 20 month old daughter has the same thing. She had a pretty good case of the c.pox. They have been resolving/fading as I would expect them to. She had quite a few spots on her palms and soles of her feet, and now the skin on several of her fingers and toes is peeling off. I don't really want to take her to the doctor yet--- don't want them to throw her on some antibiotic with no good reason, so just thought I'd check with you to see what happened with your son. Thanks!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page