Scared - just found a lump on my child's neck - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-11-2009, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was patting my toddler and found a bump on the side of my child neck, it is towards the back, size of the dollar. Like movable mass. I actually can see it now if I look at him from his back. I am 90% sure that it was not there before, but...I am not 100% cirtain. I am scared. I made an appointment with dr for tomorrow. Does anyone had anything simular and it turned out to be nothing serious?
#2 of 8 Old 06-11-2009, 11:22 PM

go and get it checked out but it may just be a lymph node. They can get swollen in kids with the mildest of infections that you may not have even been aware that they had like an ear infection. Get it checked out by a doctor so you can rest easier. Best of luck tomorrow.
#3 of 8 Old 06-11-2009, 11:46 PM

I agree w/ the pp--get it checked for your peace of mind, but it's most likely a lymph node--they can seem HUGE when swollen (happened to my ds--he was fine). Also, moveable is GOOD.

They have them all over their little heads, esp. around the ears and nape of neck I believe (I've felt them and was freaked out by them the first time)...I say, breathe easy, get them checked to be positive, but try not to worry about it--it is most likely normal...

HTH Mama!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#4 of 8 Old 06-12-2009, 12:10 AM

I agree with the previous posters, probably a lymph node and movable is good. My oldest ds had to have one removed because it wouldn't go down, but it turned out fine. My younger ds has them frequently. He does have a lot of allergy issues, not sure if that contributes or not. My ped. just comments that he has a thin neck and we wouldn't even notice then if he was heavier. I freaked out when i first started noticing them too. Good luck with the appt.

amber
#5 of 8 Old 06-12-2009, 12:01 PM

Moveable is good. It's bad when it is fixed. It probably is a cyst. Good to get checked out. My son has a cyst on the side of his face, between his ear and eye.
#6 of 8 Old 06-12-2009, 06:50 PM

Sounds like a lymph node, but it would be good to get it checked to be certain if you are nervous about it. When my kiddos get these I like to use castor oil packs since they stimulate lymphatic drainage and assist in healing. FWIW IMO swollen lymph nodes mean that the body is working. That is a good thing! I just like to do anything I can to support us in that situation so it's done as efficiently as possible.
#7 of 8 Old 06-12-2009, 10:23 PM

I agree (but best to have it checked.) My kids have had swollen lymph nodes from spider bites before. A friend of mine's Dd had a tick recently & her lymph nodes were swollen - then she broke out in a bull's eye...so it was definitely a sign if her immune system trying to fight off the Lyme bacteria.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#8 of 8 Old 06-12-2009, 10:28 PM

DD gets those swollen lymph glans all around the base of her neck when she is dealing with sickness. The most recent is from a tick bite in her head hat got infected.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page