Hormonal hair (PCOS, etc.) (incl. Q's about adrenals) - Mothering Forums
Women's Health > Hormonal hair (PCOS, etc.) (incl. Q's about adrenals)
Periwinkle's Avatar Periwinkle 10:11 PM 06-13-2009
I am at my wit's end. I used to be really overweight and had some of the symptoms of PCOS (irregular periods, acne, facial hair, etc.). Well for 2 years I am back to my normal weight (I'm 5'7" and am about 138 lbs.) and have gone completely sugar- and refined grain-free. My periods are regular again, sleeping great, no more acne, no more aches and pains. But that DARN facial hair just doesn't quit. I know once it starts it doesn't stop but... really? What causes it? Could something else be causing the facial hair or is it just a holdover from my hormones being wacky from pregnancy and being overweight? Well I remove hair daily - every SINGLE day - and I recently threw in the towel and started laser hair removal (just had my 2nd treatment today).

But I'm wondering if there is something else I should be doing. I follow the iodine and adrenal fatigue threads pretty closely and am kind of seeing some sort of ah-ha thing with my body, like I convert ingredient A into hormone X or something.

Can anyone give any insight into what causes this hormonal facial hair and what you can do about it?

Metasequoia's Avatar Metasequoia 11:52 AM 06-14-2009
I'm with you, sistah! I feel like I pluck one chin hair & 5 more pop up. Ew! It tends to get better right after I give birth & then, while I'm AF-free, it's good - but as soon as I get AF back, bam!

How are the laser treatments? Where are you going? Man, if I ever hit the lottery....
WuWei's Avatar WuWei 03:29 PM 06-14-2009
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is the most common cause, and 70-80% of women with hirsutism suffer from PCOS. Other possible causes include androgen-secreting tumours, adrenal hyperplasia, and thyroid dysfunction. In some cases, the use of certain drugs can lead to excess hair growth.

There is commonly an assoication between adrogen levels and estrogen levels in PCOS. Both can be elevated. Read on the iodine thread also about the relation to thyroid receptors being blocked by bromides also. The hormones are all interrelated. My understanding is that all 5 hormones need to be saliva tested: thyroid, progesterone, testosterone, estrogen and cortisol, multiple times during the day.

I've been researching herbal infusions and happened upon this fascinating article about estrogen dominance. I'm going to look about Kudzu tea for our family. http://diamondbotanicals.com/index.p...d=15&Itemid=26

Effect of spearmint (Mentha spicata Labiatae) teas on androgen levels in women with hirsutism.
Quote:

Akdoğan M, Tamer MN, Cüre E, Cüre MC, Köroğlu BK, Delibaş N.
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey.
Mentha spicata Labiatae, known as spearmint and Mentha piperita Labiatae, known as peppermint can be used for various kinds of illnesses in herbal medicine and flavoring in industry. M. spicata Labiatae grows on the Anamas plateau of Yenithornarbademli town of Isparta, located in southwest part of Turkey. In this town, clinicians thought that consumption of tea steeped with M. spicata or M. piperita caused a diminished libido. Because antiandrogenic effects of spearmint and peppermint were found previously in rats, it was decided to observe the effect of this herbal tea on the androgen levels in hirsute women.Twenty-one female hirsute patients, 12 with polycystic ovary syndrome and 9 with idiopathic hirsutism were included to the study. They were took a cup of herbal tea which was steeped with M. spicata for 5 days twice a day in the follicular phase of their menstrual cycles.

After treatment with spearmint teas, there was a significant decrease in free testosterone and increase in luteinizing hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone and estradiol. There were no significant decreases in total testosterone or dehydroepiandrostenedione sulphate levels. Spearmint can be an alternative to antiandrogenic treatment for mild hirsutism.

Further studies are needed to test the reliability of these results and the availability of spearmint as a drug for hirsutism. Copyright 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Another thing to research is Saw Palmetto and Nigella sativa, (black seed oil). Both also have antiandrogenic properties.

This following article is a bit beyond my understanding, but they are saying "methylation detoxes estrogen." "And when I eat gluten, my methylation goes to sh!t, I can watch in my cycle how I have a lot more high-estrogen days". I'm wondering if you've noticed any correlation between the symptoms and consuming gluten? Here is a list of high glutamate foods: tomatoes, corn, parmesean cheese, peas, milk, rice, peanuts, casein, beans, seeds, meat, flax, sunflower, cashews, almonds.

This is the methyl detox overview. http://heal-thyself.ning.com/video/m...detox-overview

Folate, vitamin B12, vitamin B6, and methionine are necessary for the methylation process. Food sources of methionine: http://www.springboard4health.com/no...ethionine.html

Basically, foods lower in glutamate and aspartate: (eat these)

1) Fruits, berries

2) Vegetables

3) Potatoes

4) Lamb and eggs are relatively low (compared to beef, chicken, turkey)

5) Tree nuts (e.g. pecans, walnuts, macadamias) NOTE: These are relatively low when compared to peanuts and cashews.

Also, magnesium is inhibitory of glutamate. From what I read lentils could be consumed whole, unprocessed because of the natural presence of magnesium in them, which can be lost in processing.

I've read that magnesium and selenium deficiencies are implicated in prostate cancer, which has a similar underlying presentation of hormonal imbalances (elevated testosterone).

Nettles root infusions and legumes are frequently mentioned foods for alternative treatment of prostate cancer. Genistein, an isoflavone found in various legumes (and seeds, lentils, peas, beans, sunflower seeds, tempeh) is beneficial.

Also, avoid vitamin A palmitate (the synthetic version, added to low fat milk and vitamins).

Mayo Clinic, prostate cancer alternative treatments (antiandrogenic):
* African plum tree (Prunus africana)
* African wild potato (Hypoxis hemerocallidea, Hypoxis rooperi)
* Pumpkin (Cucurbita pepo)
* Rye grass (Secale cereale)
* Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica, Urtica urens)
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pro...ative-medicine

HTH, Pat
p1gg1e's Avatar p1gg1e 05:04 PM 08-30-2009
:
Up