I NEED help with a sore throat at 11 weeks pregnant. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-15-2009, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 11 weeks pregnant tomorrow with baby #2. I haven't been to a midwife yet as we are still interviewing.
I picked up a bug of some sort last Saturday, over a week ago. The only thing that hurts is my throat and it is horrible. I am not a doctor person and being pregnant I didn't want antibiotics or anything so I have tried to ride it out. I can't take it anymore. I have to be on tylenol 24 hours and it hardly touches the pain. I got some throat spray too but that doesn't help much either. We don't have insurance either so I know it would be a whooper amount to go to an Urgent Care or something. I started to gargle salt water today because someone suggested that too.
My dh things it is a bacterial infection of my tonsils. What else can I do. I thought today that I was getting better but I just woke up from a nap with dd and I'm dying in pain. It almost feels like my teeth hurt on the one side that is so aweful at the moment. Should I give in and go to Urgent Care anyway.
I do have cephalexin. I used to have a sick dog and he didn't finish his meds (died of cancer) so I have some. Should I medicate myself? I'd just hate to hurt the baby by not doing anything at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonie's mom View Post
I'm 11 weeks pregnant tomorrow with baby #2. I haven't been to a midwife yet as we are still interviewing.
I picked up a bug of some sort last Saturday, over a week ago. The only thing that hurts is my throat and it is horrible. I am not a doctor person and being pregnant I didn't want antibiotics or anything so I have tried to ride it out. I can't take it anymore. I have to be on tylenol 24 hours and it hardly touches the pain. I got some throat spray too but that doesn't help much either. We don't have insurance either so I know it would be a whooper amount to go to an Urgent Care or something. I started to gargle salt water today because someone suggested that too.
My dh things it is a bacterial infection of my tonsils. What else can I do. I thought today that I was getting better but I just woke up from a nap with dd and I'm dying in pain. It almost feels like my teeth hurt on the one side that is so aweful at the moment. Should I give in and go to Urgent Care anyway.
I do have cephalexin. I used to have a sick dog and he didn't finish his meds (died of cancer) so I have some. Should I medicate myself? I'd just hate to hurt the baby by not doing anything at all.
That's a pretty heavy antibiotic.........and some antibiotics are no-nos during pregnancy. Do you have a family doctor you can call? If he can get you in it'll be much cheaper than urgent care. Is there a sliding scale clinic in your town?

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#3 of 7 Old 06-15-2009, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

We are new to town (two months) and don't have a family doctor here yet. We haven't been to a doctor/hospital since dd was born.
#4 of 7 Old 06-15-2009, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is what I got when I googled "walk in clinic, dayton ohio"

Reachout Family Health Center

* (937) 252-9925
* 614 Xenia Ave
* Dayton, OH 45410

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#5 of 7 Old 06-15-2009, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't posted on here in a while and just updated my profile. We are actually in Colorado and due to safety issues I can't post where...odd, I know. I think I just need to call around and see where I can get in. I was just trying to avoid a clinic I guess. I will certainly entertain more ideas until then. I will probably not get to go for a couple of days yet.
#6 of 7 Old 06-15-2009, 10:46 PM

Take care of yourself

Taking whatever antibiotics you have laying around is NOT safe.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#7 of 7 Old 06-16-2009, 12:53 AM
Banned

Are you sure it isn't strep? For mild cases of strep, I've had good luck with warm water, a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a Tbsp of honey. If it is interfering with your swallowing, I'd try to see a doctor.

Ask in F&F, but I think you can apply for medicaid in the ER. Yeah that to abimommy, it is not safe to take someone else's abx.

User Tag List