EMF's (electromagnetic frequencies) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-16-2009, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I have some ?'s about EMF's

#1 What in the house emits emf's?

#2 Which of these emits the highest levels of emf's?

#3 In addition to turning off electrical things that emit emf's, does it help even more to unplug them?

#4 Do phones that have cords emit emf's?

#5 Is my child exposed to emf's if I nak?

#6 What else besides turning off sources of emf's in my home can I do to lower the emf's in my home?
#2 of 4 Old 06-16-2009, 11:08 PM

This was recently posted on the national Holistic Moms Network:

Quote:
:
From what I understand, you can measure EMF in milligaus based on the distance from the appliance or source of the EMF. From 1 foot away, a CFL bulb has a 1 milligaus field. By comparison, here are some other common EMF sources and their ratings:

Milligaus Location
1.32 5' from TV, on, 2' above floor
1.64 Curling iron, on
1.88 Electric blanket after warmed up
5.5 Cord type electric drill, on
6.12 Electric blanket, first turned on
6.28 On computer keyboard at home
6.88 5' from TV, on, on floor
8.76 15' from transformer
9.2 25' from 161,000V line
11.6 Directly under 161,000V line
12.8 In front of micro-wave oven, off
19.6 Desk fan, off
26.8 1' from hair dryer, on
28.8 On top of TV, on
44.4 On range top, off
53.6 Portable electric razor, on
128 In front of micro-wave oven, on
180 On range top, on
648 Next to hair dryer, on
896 Bedroom fan, on, next to motor

This is all from information I just located on the internet, so I cannot vouch for the credibility of all of it.

Here are EMF dangers.
http://www.emfct.com/
http://ezinearticles.com/?EMFs---The...ger&id=1200752

Pat

I have a blog.
#3 of 4 Old 06-17-2009, 09:30 AM

You can get a gaussmeter and check for yourself.

EMF is essentially electromagnetic radiation (relax, it's NOT like X-ray radiation). The level of EMF falls off SQUARED (as in, quickly) with distance, so the farther you can get away from the source the better. I've seen literature indicating physical issues start occurring at levels as low as 3 milligauss. 3 milligauss is actually very small, and it's quite easy to exceed that level with many electrical devices. Personally, I can feel it easily with my fingers near an EMF source starting at the level of around 5 milligauss. If I really concentrate I can get it down to around 3 milligauss. So if I can feel it, I believe it can't really be good for me.

The following list is not exhaustive but it can give you an idea.

Anything electrical has the potential to emit EMFs, particularly anything running on AC. In our home, I have found that the electrical panel (the box that holds the circuit breakers, or fuses in older homes) is a huge source. I've seen that installed in and under bedrooms, right where you would put a bed!! Needless to say, if you have a panel there, don't use anywhere within several feet of that for a bed. (I'd not even use the room for a bedroom if possible. I'd also not put something like a desk or computer there, where you're inviting someone to sit there for extended periods of time.)

Improper wiring in a house - a bad outlet or switch (and the entire wire line leading from the circuit breaker on that circuit) can have big EMF. To fix that, simply correct the bad wiring condition.

Transformers emit a lot of EMF. Fluorescent lights with the standard magnetic ballast emit lots of it. Change the ballast to an electronic one and you dramatically decrease the level.

CRT type computer monitors and TV screens emit lots of EMF. On the other hand, LCD screens emit only low levels, unless the transformer is inside the screen housing.

Uninterruptible power supplies (UPS) generate a huge amount. Don't sit near them.

Cell phones and any other TRANSMITTING radios (Ham, CBs, etc) transmit lots of power. Cell towers transmit huge amounts of power. Personally, I don't carry a cell phone and leave it on. (Though I do carry one for emergency use and leave it off most times.) Certainly I don't attach it to my body or belt.

ETA 1: Vehicles vary widely in their EMF. I've found that some cars have high EMF in one or both front seats. The level increases when anything like seat heaters is used. Other cars only have high EMF down hear the feet and lower legs. Sometimes there's some level of EMF in the back seats. So far, no car I've checked had really low EMF everywhere.

ETA 2: A refrigerator has a huge emag field. What is in the room(s) behind and beside your fridge? Is it your bedroom or a desk/computer room or a sofa? If you just walk past it, no big deal, but think about how much time you spend there.

Kim sewmachine.gif mama to DS autismribbon.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif12/2005, Pepper kitty cat.gif, and angel1.gif 10/03, angel1.gif 1/05; homeschool.gif

#4 of 4 Old 06-17-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidmama View Post
Hi! I have some ?'s about EMF's

#1 What in the house emits emf's?

#2 Which of these emits the highest levels of emf's?

#3 In addition to turning off electrical things that emit emf's, does it help even more to unplug them?

#4 Do phones that have cords emit emf's?

#5 Is my child exposed to emf's if I nak?

#6 What else besides turning off sources of emf's in my home can I do to lower the emf's in my home?
I think I've addressed mostly #1 and #2, possibly #3 depending on what type of monitor you have, how close to the monitor you have your child, and how close to the UPS and other transformers you are.

I don't think we can totally eliminate EMFs in our modern day and lifestyle, unless you want to live without anything electrical. Personally, I think we should just reduce our exposure as much as is reasonably possible. There are things that are correctable and adjustable to reduce your exposure.

#3) If the item in question has a transformer, keep yourself as far away from it as possible. Don't sit next to the transformer. Some things have the transformer inside them, so you can't separate yourself far from the transformer when you are using the item. As long as the transformer is plugged in, even if the device is OFF, then the transformer is working and emitting EMF (and wasting energy, I might add). If you unplug the transformer, then it will not emit EMF. However it's possible that even the outlet you are plugging into is poorly wired and so the outlet is still putting out EMF. The only way to know for sure is to either be able to feel it yourself, or barring that, to use a gaussmeter to test for it. I have a trifield meter: http://www.trifield.com/EMF_meter.htm

Kim sewmachine.gif mama to DS autismribbon.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif12/2005, Pepper kitty cat.gif, and angel1.gif 10/03, angel1.gif 1/05; homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page