Mothering Forum banner

9m/o would you be a little concerned or alot concerned

715 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Beene 
#1 ·
We live in Mexico, Reynosa to be exact, 10 miles from Texas. My 9 month old non-vax'd baby has had a fever for the past 2 days. Now normally i wouldnt be to worried...but what is itching at me is this. We had 2 ladies...in their early 20's come clean the house on monday. They do this for a living...first time they've been in our house. They just moved to the area, they are from the rancho's...the country. The held the baby a few times and really loved on him. I did get a little uncomforatble and would take the baby back. I'm not used to plp holding my baby...other than family.
My husband said for me not to worry that most of the house helpers here in MX are expected to take care of the kids to. My husband made it clear that they are only to tend to the house...and they did. I'm not sure i would ever want a nanny. If i'm a stay at home mom. Anywho.....baby has low grade fever tuesday...and of course it's gradually gotten higher. Now he is teething...but this is his 5th tooth and no fevers with any of the other teeth. Am i over reacting by thinking that these gals could of given the baby something? If so please FYI me.
No symptoms at all...just a fever...today it's ran 102-103.

#2 ·
Personally, I wouldn't worry. My DD ran a fever that high this weekend that has slowly gone down and we didn't know what it was either. Then today she got a rash all over, so we figured out it's roseola. As long as the fever doesn't stay that high for over 3 days, I don't worry. Just try keeping him comfortable - lots of nursing, snuggling, as little stimulation as possible, and a cool bath should help. It's so hard to see our LOs sick.

#3 ·
I would actually be more concerned because you're in Mexico. To say to just ignore a fever is kind of irresponsible. The strain of Swine Flu going around in Mexico is much stronger than the one in the U.S. and many children there died from it. I would take him to the doc asap. A fever can be a very serious symptom and people have very varied symptoms of the flu. Sometimes it's JUST fever and body aches.

#5 ·
Personally, I'd be concerned. I'd probably watch the baby extremely closely for other signs of illness for a brief period of time. I'd go to the doctor if:

* His fever reached 103 or higher
* He had loss of appetite, little energy/lethargy, difficulty breathing or any other worrisome symptoms.

Watch closely for purple spots that don't go away when pressed. This is one sign of meningitis and a medical emergency. Overall, though, you're probably the best judge of whether or not he needs medical care. Follow your instincts.

#6 ·
The swine flu was WWWWAAAAYYYYY over rated all over the whole world. Esp here in MX...more plp get worse sickness then that flu and you dont hear about it on the news.
I will cont to watch him....he has no symptoms other than his fingers in his mouth. Like his teeth hurt.
Fevers always get high at night too.
He's doing great other wise.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chakra View Post
If they did give him the swine flu it would take him at least 7-10 days to even get sick from it.

I would not worry. Whatever he got did not come from them. He picked it up somewhere else a few days ago.
Actually, gestation is 2 days to 7 days. I didn't say swine flu wasn't overrated. I can look past the media hype too. However, anything is possible and a fever is always a symptom to be taken seriously in a LO. Children did die of the strain in Mexico and that's a fact. I don't care how many children or whether more people died from other things. I hope it is just teething, but if it was my son, I would be getting it checked out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.