Splint for Diastasis Recti! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-26-2009, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies.

I bought a splint for diastasis recti because I figured, I can't hold my muscles in every time I use them so this has to be better than nothing. But my question for you ladies is, can I do sitting muscle contractions while wearing the splint while NOT pulling in with my arms, or should I just let the splint pull them in when I'm more or less relaxed or doing normal movement (like carrying 44 lbs of baby up the stairs ) and then remove it and to the exercises using my arms when I get the chance?

I ask because I was told to hold my muscles together "whenever I used them".

Well if I didn't have my hands full, would I really be using that much stomach muscle, I ask you??? :

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-26-2009, 01:31 PM

When you say splint, do you mean a wrap that goes around your abdomen? I got one of those after my c-section with my twins, but only used it for a month or so.

I was also told not to lift things that are too heavy, but of course do it anyway I've never hear the suggestion of holding your muscles together. I so want to have surgery to get better function of those muscles, but the thought of surgery worries me too. Not the actual surgery itself, but the fear that changing things could make it worse for some reason. Have you considered surgery? Of course insurance doesn't cover it for pregnancy related issues!
#3 of 3 Old 06-26-2009, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hi!

Yes, it's at figure 8 maternity and it's cotton with velcro adhesive.

Re: surgery: no- I'd rather do hours of physical therapy each week than surgery! It's not THAT important. I agree that surgery always has risks, one of which is making things worse.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page