Normal TSH, but elevated thyroid antibodies...HELP! **UPDATE** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-29-2009, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I thought I had Lyme (still not sure if I do) but I had some bloodwork, and my thyroid tests came back super high!

Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies were 349
Thyroglobulin Antibodies were 376.

TSH was normal (1.81)

I also had slightly lower than normal white blood cells and platelets.

I have had achy joints and muscle weakness for a few months now, and I have lost 12 pounds since having my son (after I already returned to my normal weight).

I am definitely irritable and have a LOT of anxiety, although I always have had that.

No issues with my thyroid itself, haven't noticed any swelling or pain or anything weird with my face.

Could this be postpartum thyroiditis or something else? Going to the doc tomorrow...

ETA: Around the same time my daughter was nearing her first birthday I ALSO thought I had Lyme, and had the same achy joints and weight loss...

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#2 of 10 Old 06-29-2009, 07:01 PM

I really, really don't know for sure, but antibodies mean autoimmune thyroiditis which isn't the same as pp thyroiditis. BUT pregnancy often is a trigger for autoimmune diseases. Since your TSH is within normal range, I don't know if you would have Grave's or Hashi's? There is a huge thyroid thread around here with more info.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#3 of 10 Old 06-30-2009, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks...anyone else?

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#4 of 10 Old 06-30-2009, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Selenium is big for immune function in general, and there's at least one study that shows that thyroid antibody levels reduce with selenium supplementation, they used 200mcg of a less-than-great form of selenium, l-selenomethionine is a better form, and brazil nuts are quite high in selenium, about 100mcg per nut.

Did they test your vitD as well? Some folks find that related to achiness, and it seems to go low for a lot of people with health issues.

Other things tend to cluster with autoimmune issues, problems with gluten (celiac or just intolerances), type 1 diabetes, like that. Those are things to keep in mind, and if you consume gluten, cutting it out may help reduce overall stress on your body.
#5 of 10 Old 06-30-2009, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I don't have any other issues that I know. My vitamin D level was 28, so I guess that isn't really ideal. I am going to the doc today so hopefully he will have some answers.

#6 of 10 Old 06-30-2009, 09:56 AM

On the vitamin D thing-you are low. I was diagnosed with a Vit D deficiency and my levels were at 24. My doc said optimal levels were at 40.
#7 of 10 Old 06-30-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amila View Post
OK, I thought I had Lyme (still not sure if I do) but I had some bloodwork, and my thyroid tests came back super high!

Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies were 349
Thyroglobulin Antibodies were 376.

TSH was normal (1.81)

I also had slightly lower than normal white blood cells and platelets.

I have had achy joints and muscle weakness for a few months now, and I have lost 12 pounds since having my son (after I already returned to my normal weight).

I am definitely irritable and have a LOT of anxiety, although I always have had that.

No issues with my thyroid itself, haven't noticed any swelling or pain or anything weird with my face.

Could this be postpartum thyroiditis or something else? Going to the doc tomorrow...

ETA: Around the same time my daughter was nearing her first birthday I ALSO thought I had Lyme, and had the same achy joints and weight loss...
Did you get your T3 and T4 checked? Your TSH can be normal but have Low/high T3 and T4 which could indicate a hypo/hyper state. I had elevated antibodies when DD was 4 months old. I was diagnosed with Hashis I would surely cut out gluten. It's very problematic for a lot of people ecspecially those with HIgh antibodies.
#8 of 10 Old 06-30-2009, 03:58 PM

I agree with Tanya and mom61508 (rechecks that number ).
With antibodies showing up, regardless of your other blood counts, you are considered to have an autoimmune thyroid disease- either Graves or Hashi's- and I would strongly suggest starting on selenium ASAP.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#9 of 10 Old 06-30-2009, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE

I saw my family doctor and he basically took a wait and see approach and wants me to get my levels checked in 3 months. He said I could consult with an endocrinologist if I want, but I won't get in for 2-3 months anyway. He put me on a Vitamin D supplement. He said my thyroid is not at all enlarged or anything and feels very normal. I think he thinks its probably post partum, but that I may need to have more testing in the future once I am done nursing.

He said the lyme only came back with 2 bads so he doesn't think its active, but said to finish the abx just in case. Also, he wasn't concerned about the low platelets and the low wbc because they were only just slightly less than normal.

Thoughts?

#10 of 10 Old 07-01-2009, 02:03 AM

Please don't wait and see about your thyroid! Please read this website.

stopthethyroidmedness.com

xoxoxox

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page